6/12/15-6/20/15 Germany Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report! One practical question - did you happen to do any laundry on the trip? If so, where's the best city/hotel to do it?

We did not do any laundry. I packed enough clean shirts and underwear for the entire trip, and we wore pants twice. We were able to fit everything in two carry-ons. The Kempinski did clean my jacket and a pair of pants after I spilled red wine all over them. I believe they charged 20 euros for that, but ABD picked up the charge.

I totally agree that not enough time is spent in Munich - we wish we had planned at least one more day there. We did like the fact that we had the extra day in Heidelberg, though. It gave us a chance to adjust our time zone!

Sorry to hear you had rain on the final day. We had such bright sunshine for our pictures that they look like postcards!

I loved the Kempinski breakfasts! Waffles with chocolate sauce & mimosas. What could be better?!
We are at the Kempinski in Berchtesgaden now. Hoping breakfast is similar! Lol

To SingingMom,

Make sure you Take the Trip up to the Top of Hitler's Nest . VIA the Internal Lift , A really " Wow " sight

If you are Fit & Agile you can walk Up or Down ....... best go by the bus.

Also take time to Look at the Museum which is just below your Hotel .The huge new building that leads to a Bunker .

It was difficult to get good pictures during our walking tour in Munich. We were moving very fast and were very close to the buildings, so I couldn't get a good perspective. These are of the city hall and Glockenspiel, which is quite ornate and beautiful.

DSC00768 (1024x768).jpg DSC00769 (1024x768).jpg DSC00770 (768x1024).jpg DSC00772 (768x1024).jpg DSC00779 (768x1024).jpg DSC00780 (1024x768).jpg DSC00781 (1024x768).jpg

Neuschwanstein and a few pictures of Hohenschwangau. I visited both on my visit in 2000, and Hogenschwangau is a beautiful castle as well. It also has some fantastic gardens. Remember, it was raining and foggy during our visit. Also, one of our tour guides said that we were the last group of the summer who will be able to walk out on Mary's Bridge (the picture we took there was on our guide's camera, so I don't have it yet, but it is an amazing vantage point!). She said the bridge needed some repairs or refurbishment and would be closing soon after our visit.

There are also some pictures of the gorge and the countryside and lake beyond. When the sun is shining, the lake is an amazing shade of dark turquoise blue.

DSC00784 (1024x768).jpg DSC00786 (768x1024).jpg DSC00790 (1024x768).jpg DSC00797 (1024x768).jpg DSC00798 (1024x768).jpg DSC00799 (1024x768).jpg DSC00800 (768x1024).jpg DSC00801 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the trip report! One practical question - did you happen to do any laundry on the trip? If so, where's the best city/hotel to do it?

The best place to do laundry is Heidelberg since there is a Laundromat literally next door to the hotel (and you get done with the welcome dinner in time to get a load or two done if needed).

I HIGHLY recommend doing pre-days in Berlin (you need at least 2-3 to really see/explore the city. We loved Berlin and it was a highlight of our Germany trip last year). Also, we spent a couple of days in Munich (pre-trip as well), and I'm so glad we did. We really got to see and experience a lot during that time: BMW factory tour, Allianz Arena tour, Schloss Nymphenberg (gorgeous grounds), beer gardens (including Chinese tower, that has a great outdoor sitting area/playscape for kids). We stayed at Motel One in Munich, by Sendlinger Tor, and it was great! We got 2 rooms for our family of 4 and it was only $100/night per room and the rooms were really nice in a great area. We stayed at the Radisson Blu in Berlin, and it was a relatively inexpensive 5 star hotel. Upgrade to Business Class rooms for FABULOUS view of the cathedral and River Spree just next to the hotel, and it includes a great breakfast buffet that you can eat outside at tables next to the River. And the lobby has a 5 story fish tank that the kids loved.

Great photos and trip report! This looks like a fabulous trip. I hope to get the opportunity to do it!
Welcome home!

Wow! I think your photos turned out great, despite the poor weather conditions!

Sayhello

Thanks! They did come out better than I thought, once I viewed them on a computer. I am disappointed that we didn't get to enjoy the vistas more while we were there. The views from Mary's Bridge are just fantastic, but I don't even think I looked back at the castle when we had our picture made. The bridge is very narrow and crowded, and frankly, it was a little scary up there with the wind blowing! I do wish the weather had not impacted our ability to really take in the panoramas and details.

But a day at Neuschwanstein, even with bad weather, is better than a day just about anywhere else. I can't even describe how magical the experience is - I just love that place!

Last edited:
Thanks! They did come out better than I thought, once I viewed them on a computer. I am disappointed that we didn't get to enjoy the vistas more while we were there. The views from Mary's Bridge are just fantastic, but I don't even think I looked back at the castle when we had our picture made. The bridge is very narrow and crowded, and frankly, it was a little scary up there with the wind blowing! I do wish the weather had not impacted our ability to really take in the panoramas and details.

But a day at Neuschwanstein, even with bad weather, is better than a day just about anywhere else. I can't even describe how magical the experience is - I just love that place!
Amazing photos, I hope we have as good of weather as you did, 9 days to go until we are on the plane

can't believe it is finally here, off to Berlin tomorrow. I will try to do a trip report while we are there with pictures but not sure on the wifi. chat with you all later
ENJOY! Looking forward to seeing your Report!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter