5K Blog for Big Girls

Ok 'big girls', I have a question today. When you do a long run and or walk, what do you carry?

Sundays I do my long walk to build up my endurance. Today I scheduled a 5 miler to do. Since I've been running intervals a few days a week, (1 minute run/shuffle to 3 minutes walking) I thought I'd incorporate that in to my long walk today. Normally when I do intervals during the week, I only go for 30 minutes so I don't really need to carry anything. I knew 5 miles would take me 90+ so I wore my waist pack with two small bottles of liquid in it.

Oh. My. Heck. :headache: My hip is killing me. I quickly gave up on the running and just switched to walking AND dropped from 5 miles to 4.25. Ow. Waist pack was a very bad idea.

Anyone have a good suggestion for alternatives? I really need to carry liquid with me but carrying on my waist and hips is NOT going to work.

Ok, gonna go ice while I wait for a response...

Ow ow owww!!!

I don't carry water unless I am going for more than 8 miles or so. My running club makes us carry it though, so I have a one 10oz bottle fuel belt (in XL, biggest size I could find with smallest bottle!) that I quite frankly hate. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it irritates me. As I have been losing weight and it now almost fits the hips, it's better...

However, if you need it, they make clutch bottles that you can just carry - they have a handle to make it easier. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickdraw-Handheld-22-Ounce-Carrier/dp/B000NHLHU2

The backpack thing is called "Camelbak". Seems a little pricey though!

I shall look into the Camelback thingy. That might be a way to go. I saw one on ebags for $29. That's not so bad, I guess.
I tried carrying my water and it just wigs out my hand to carry it to long. So high maintenance I am turning out to be! :rolleyes: I wish I could walk along time and feel like I didn't have to carry water. Maybe I need to figure out more strategic places to walk that has water fountains. Hmmm...

Thanks for the suggestions! You guys are quite awesome. :flower3:

You may also be able to find a place where you can stash a bottle? I have totally seen bottles at places on the trail that I usually do... or if you are walking loops in your neighborhood you can put one in your mailbox?

I could never ever wear the camelback. Holy hot batman! Then again, I live in the oppressively hot South (or so it seems lately, yesterday's heat index was like 120). :laughing:

They make a camel water belt but that is likely not an option either.

I could never ever wear the camelback. Holy hot batman! Then again, I live in the oppressively hot South (or so it seems lately, yesterday's heat index was like 120). :laughing:

I'm in Louisiana and oppressively hot is right! I do my walking around 5 am in the morning and when I get home I'm STILL soaked with sweat! I am sooooooooooo looking forward to the fall and cooler weather.

I just wonder how heavy that Camelbak is. That might be the deciding factor!

You both make me glad to be in the Pacific Northwest. We rarely get super hot here and it usually takes all day to get there.
I think I'll go to a sports store this weekend and check it out. I hadn't thought about the weight issue of the Camelback. I think Solar (Deb) uses one. Hopefully we'll hear from her on how well she likes it.

You both make me glad to be in the Pacific Northwest. We rarely get super hot here and it usually takes all day to get there.
I think I'll go to a sports store this weekend and check it out. I hadn't thought about the weight issue of the Camelback. I think Solar (Deb) uses one. Hopefully we'll hear from her on how well she likes it.

I am pretty sure Deb uses one, too. There are a few guys in my running group that have them, and I am pretty sure I wouldn't like it. I also really don't need that much water.

I am lucky, though, my running group provides water stops. On a non-hot-as-you-know-what day, I wouldn't need much more than the 10 oz I carry on the fuel belt, but this summer I have needed the water to pour over my head at just about every water stop! :laughing:

Our summer here has been hot hot hot. I did my 10 miles with the group on Sat AM and it was 83 and 80% humidity at 6:30AM. Heat index was at 116 at 10:30, and the actual high got to 101. They made everyone stop at 9:30 regardless of mileage.

116?!?! That is both sick and wrong! Take comfort in knowing that at least you didn't have to wait until the end of June for it to even remotely begin to feel like summer. It felt like a rainy March here until then. That was depressing. Nevermind. That is no comfort if you have to deal with 116 heat index. <shudder> This redhead would burst into flames! :firefight

We had the hottest June on record here. About 8 degrees on average above normal, and tied our record highest day ever, at 105 degrees. we are on our way to the hottest July, as well. It hit 101 both days last weekend.

It's fairly normal in North Carolina to be in the 90s from May - Sept, but this year has been absolutely ridiculous. We had an extremely cold winter this year, as well. Weirdness.

It's plenty humid here too, which is what makes the heat indexes so bad.

Right now it is "only" 91, with a heat index of 101. :laughing:

My electric bill unfortunately shows the effects of this. :scared1:

I grew up in the Chicago area and i SO don't miss humidty and crazy weather. I greatly resembled Little Orphan Annie during the summer months. So not cute! :rotfl:

I feel bad for you folks back East and the horrible weather you've had this year. Craziness!

Heat index was at 116 at 10:30, and the actual high got to 101. They made everyone stop at 9:30 regardless of mileage.

HockeyKat...I'm right there with ya! I'm here in Charlotte and had to spend most of my day in and out of my car...and it's black! :scared1: I swear I'd leave for only a few minutes and it felt hot enough to bake something in it! YUCK! I am soooo over summer! When's fall gonna get here? :hippie:

HockeyKat...I'm right there with ya! I'm here in Charlotte and had to spend most of my day in and out of my car...and it's black! :scared1: I swear I'd leave for only a few minutes and it felt hot enough to bake something in it! YUCK! I am soooo over summer! When's fall gonna get here? :hippie:

I'm with you guys! I tried running on Sunday and it was so hot at 7:30pm that I was soaked through all of my clothes after 30 minutes. Luckily today is supposed to only have a high of 93 so it might not be all that bad.

Good morning everyone! How are you all today?

I overslept a bit this morning so I only managed a 15 minute walk. I guess that's better than nothing! I am a little sore too from yesterday. But hopefully that will wear off and I'll be good to go on W1D2 tomorrow!

Good morning!
I am taking 1 more day off to let my sciatic nerve calm down a bit more. It's much better today but I don't want to mess myself up any further. I do a group walk on Wednesday evenings with some friends so hopefully I'll be up to doing that tomorrow. It's quite frustrating not being able to keep to my regular schedule. :sad2:

Good morning!
I am taking 1 more day off to let my sciatic nerve calm down a bit more. It's much better today but I don't want to mess myself up any further. I do a group walk on Wednesday evenings with some friends so hopefully I'll be up to doing that tomorrow. It's quite frustrating not being able to keep to my regular schedule. :sad2:

Aww sorry to hear that. But you are doing the right thing by laying off until you feel up to par! Anyway, wishing you a speedy recovery! Try not to overdo it Wednesday either!

Thank you! I appreciate that. :upsidedow

I have a question for you all. I'm sure this has been discussed a ton on the wish boards but I'll ask anyway!

Plateaus: What have you done to bust through them? I've lost 29.5 pounds since April and I've been stuck now for about 2 weeks. Partly due to going off of a medication I think; although the rewards of being off of it are worth moving into a plateau.
Suggestions? Ideas? :idea:

Hi everyone :goodvibes

Desiree: Well done on doing the 15 minutes, I was all set for having a go this morning but couldn't this morning, Aunt Flo's fault...poor excuse but I was useless until I got some painkillers in me. Had a go tonight though. I really wish I'd bought this treadmill ages ago!

Daisybelle: Hope the rest helps you heal - plateauing is so hard, but if you've been at the same weight for 2 weeks you're probably coming through it soon. Don't have any tips as I haven't lost any weight successfully in years but sending :hug: and hoping you come through it with a big swoosh!

You guys sure do get some crazy weather! It's been quite nice in London, sunny and hot but not too hot. We've been to WDW twice in September and that was some crazy weather, cannot imagine running in that at all so I admire you guys who do :worship:

Have a good one, its almost bedtime for me!

Plateaus: What have you done to bust through them? I've lost 29.5 pounds since April and I've been stuck now for about 2 weeks. Partly due to going off of a medication I think; although the rewards of being off of it are worth moving into a plateau.
Suggestions? Ideas? :idea:

Hmm all I've really done is just change things up a bit. Add some new workouts in or just keep trying different ones. That does seem to help.

Hi everyone :goodvibes

Desiree: Well done on doing the 15 minutes, I was all set for having a go this morning but couldn't this morning, Aunt Flo's fault...poor excuse but I was useless until I got some painkillers in me. Had a go tonight though. I really wish I'd bought this treadmill ages ago!

You guys sure do get some crazy weather! It's been quite nice in London, sunny and hot but not too hot. We've been to WDW twice in September and that was some crazy weather, cannot imagine running in that at all so I admire you guys who do :worship:

Have a good one, its almost bedtime for me!

Good job to you on getting some time in last night even despite Aunt Flo.
Yea, we are hot here about 10 months out of the year. And we just try to do things around the swealtering parts! lol

Well I did W1D2 today. I was pretty sore and I did stop at the 10 minute mark of the jog/walk. I went inside and got as far as the bathroom then I started thinking. This is exactly where I would just throw in the towel and quit. I do that every single time. So I put my shoes back on and went back outside to finish the last 10 minutes. I think I finally have crossed a major hurdle here. I am my own worst enemy. By making myself go out and actually finish has given me renewed faith that I AM doing the right thing here. I can't stop now. I've got so much yet to accomplish!

Well I did W1D2 today. I was pretty sore and I did stop at the 10 minute mark of the jog/walk. I went inside and got as far as the bathroom then I started thinking. This is exactly where I would just throw in the towel and quit. I do that every single time. So I put my shoes back on and went back outside to finish the last 10 minutes. I think I finally have crossed a major hurdle here. I am my own worst enemy. By making myself go out and actually finish has given me renewed faith that I AM doing the right thing here. I can't stop now. I've got so much yet to accomplish!

Way to go! That took a lot of steel! I think the brain is the biggest hurdle we deal with. You should get a gold star for that one! :thumbsup2 :cheer2:

Thanks! Yea, I ALWAYS self-sabotage. This is usually where I end up doing myself in all the time. I lose a bit of weight and then I get too complacent!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter