40 is a FANTASY! Chunkeymonkey & Chubbyhubby STAR WARS cruise and POLY Feb 2016 TR Link Added!!

I'm here!!! I'm following :) I don't have much to add since I haven't been to WDW, but as you know your previous TR's have me WANTING to get to the East Coast ;-) I'm sure this one will do nothing to fan those flames of WDW desire....no, nothing at all......mwahahahaha!

And hello? Fruit sushi? Frushi?? How friggin' adorable and yummy is that?! Dear Disneyland: Step up your food game! Sincerely: West Coast girl who wants to defect.

In my *coughFBgroupcough* for our upcoming cruise, several of us are heading to DL afterwards and someone asked if they had 'the grey stuff' at DL. Left several of us scratching our heads until someone explained what that meant. Now I see photographic evidence in your PreTR lol

Joining in! So excited to see how Star Wars Day at Sea goes! As far as the motion of the ocean, we went on our cruise in December and the water was pretty choppy and we felt a little like drunken sailors until we got our sea legs. But ours was only 3 nights so there was not much time to get used to it. On the longer cruise you will probably get used to it more.

Also as far as food goes, which DH and I also love! We like to go to Trails End Buffett at Fort Wilderness. It is a breakfast Buffett with some down home foods. I dream about their French Toast Bread Pudding until the next time I have it! :D

Last edited:
How did I just find this and you have 4 updates already? #perpetuallybehind

Your cruise sounds great. Can't wait to learn more about what you have planned

Sounds like you have a great 40th planned. I did mine in the world last year and loved it. My advise is to remember it's all about you and splurge on whatever you want, aka do V&A!!!!!!

My hubby is 40 in December and I tried to get him to domdisney too, but he wants to go a little further south to Key West. At least it's Florida.

I'm here!!! I'm following :) I don't have much to add since I haven't been to WDW, but as you know your previous TR's have me WANTING to get to the East Coast ;-) I'm sure this one will do nothing to fan those flames of WDW desire....no, nothing at all......mwahahahaha!

Yay! Great to see you here! If you are a fan of DL then you will love WDW! I mean, it's just bigger, so more Disney to explore and love, right? Only thing is I think you may be disappointed in the weather (humidity...ugh), and the fact that you have to travel from park to park, and it can take time and effort (buses and the like), but it's all worth it to me!

And hello? Fruit sushi? Frushi?? How friggin' adorable and yummy is that?! Dear Disneyland: Step up your food game! Sincerely: West Coast girl who wants to defect.

Frushi was delicious! I loved it. Definitely think DL needs some new restaurants too but that just means you need to pay a visit to WDW...soon!

In my *coughFBgroupcough* for our upcoming cruise, several of us are heading to DL afterwards and someone asked if they had 'the grey stuff' at DL. Left several of us scratching our heads until someone explained what that meant. Now I see photographic evidence in your PreTR lol

Hahaha, the grey stuff is just cookies n cream flavored whipped cream I think. Its like oreos and cream together. It's quite good and I'm not even a fan of icing!

Joining in! So excited to see how Star Wars Day at Sea goes! As far as the motion of the ocean, we went on our cruise in December and the water was pretty choppy and we felt a little like drunken sailors until we got our sea legs. But ours was only 3 nights so there was not much time to get used to it. On the longer cruise you will probably get used to it more.

Welcome!! I'm so excited to see how the Star Wars day at sea is too! I hope they have some character meals. It will sure beat waiting in line for characters. Thanks for the info on the sea conditions! I will definitely get some sea bands and stock up on the bonine this time too.

Also as far as food goes, which DH and I also love! We like to go to Trails End Buffett at Fort Wilderness. It is a breakfast Buffett with some down home foods. I dream about their French Toast Bread Pudding until the next time I have it! :D

That's a great idea and definitely someplace I want to try! French Toast Bread Pudding??!?! That sounds soooo delish.

How did I just find this and you have 4 updates already? #perpetuallybehind

That's ok, I'm behind on your TR too, but I'm reading the latest updates right now *drooling over Yachtsman*! I've been spewing out stuff for the PTR because my ADR window opens up in 2 weeks and I'm still not sure where to go and when. LOL #perpetuallybehindtoo

Your cruise sounds great. Can't wait to learn more about what you have planned

Sounds like you have a great 40th planned. I did mine in the world last year and loved it. My advise is to remember it's all about you and splurge on whatever you want, aka do V&A!!!!!!

Haha, I will! I will most definitely try to get an ADR!

My hubby is 40 in December and I tried to get him to domdisney too, but he wants to go a little further south to Key West. At least it's Florida.

Ooooh Key West. We had a fun time there on our cruise! Definitely a place worth revisiting!

If anyone is interested, I posted about our recent trip to Boston in my other TR. On this trip we visited The Science of Pixar exhibit at the Boston Museum of Science. It was really fun and I got to pose with different characters...although they were just statues, LOL. I figure a link to the TR would be easier than copying and pasting the entire post here!

Boston Road Trip and Visit to Science of Pixar Exhibit

D23 Star Wars News and John Williams Concerts

:cheer2: Exciting news coming from D23 Expo!! :cheer2:

Have any of you been following along with the news from D23 Expo all weekend? I see snippets in my FB feed and I'm SUPER excited about all the stuff I'm hearing, from Pandora at AK to the new Star Wars and Toy Story Lands at DHS. I know all of these new worlds will take some time to build, but it's nice to have something to look forward to even if it is a few years away! However, something caught my eye that we will be able to experience during our Feb/March 2016 trip!

launch-bay-630x355.jpg

Image from insidethemagic.net

• Star Wars Launch Bay – Opening later this year, this interactive experience will take guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida and Disneyland park in California into the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as well as the first six films in the Star Wars saga.
  • Season of the Force – This new seasonal event, beginning early 2016, brings new experiences to both coasts. In Tomorrowland at Disneyland park, guests will explore the Star Wars galaxy with special entertainment, themed food locations and Hyperspace Mountain – a re imagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction in which guests will join an X-wing starfighter battle. Disney’s Hollywood Studios will feature a new fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies on weekend nights.
  • Star Tours – The Adventures Continue Later this year, Star Tours – The Adventures Continue at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida and Disneyland park in California will include a new adventure featuring locations and characters from the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
(Information taken from Disney website)

While it looks like we'll get to experience new Star Tours scenarios from The Force Awakens, and the Star Wars Launch Bay, I'm hoping that the new fireworks Season of the Force "beginning early 2016" means we will be there to watch these fireworks! I LOVED the Symphony of the Stars fireworks from our last trip in May for SWW and let's hope the force will be with us in Feb/March too! It should be fairly easy for them, I mean they are essentially re-using the same soundtrack right? :rotfl:

BTW, this coming weekend we'll be headed to Tanglewood Music Center in Lenox, MA (the summer home for the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Boston Pops) for it's annual Film Night. It's usually conducted by composer extraordinaire John Williams (he did Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, and about every other famous movie you can think of). This is our third trip to Tanglewood for film night and has become an annual tradition. However, I just got an email from the Boston Symphony Orchestra that John Williams will be out for some time due to a back injury - oh well, I wish him a speedy recovery! But they did say during the second half of the program the orchestra will be dedicated to performing his music so super excited about that.

N6IwRCK1TqSww2Oiu26ipMzawW0lWgT7IGqJIkoBByJa=w694-h520-no

This was from last year in Tanglewood Music Shed at the same Film Night with John Williams concert

In addition, I just got tickets yesterday to Lincoln Center's "A Tribute to John Williams" concert with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra (I keep wanting to say Philharmagic!...from habit I guess!)
Here's the description of the concert:

"David Newman conducts the Orchestra in the Oscar-winning film composer’s iconic scores, including Schindler’s List, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Jaws, Jane Eyre, and Born on the Fourth of July. Clips from select films will be projected during the performance."

The concert is not until May 24, 2016 though! In the meantime there is another big John Williams concert, this time it's a Steven Spielberg and John Williams tribute on April 8, 2016 performed by the New York Pops at Carnegie Hall (tickets for this don't go on sale to general public until the end of the month):

"Lights, Camera, Action: Spielberg and Williams
The musicians of the orchestra take centerstage in this tribute to the legendary collaborations between Academy Award winners Steven Spielberg and John Williams."

Sounds pretty cool to me! What can I say, I am a movie and soundtrack buff, especially when it comes to John Williams, Spielberg, etc. I cannot wait until 2016!

I saw all the Star Wars announcements and thought of you ; ) I'm sure you all will be in 7th heaven. Star wars is pretty lost on me but I'm stoked for anything from this century in MGM. Do you think the fireworks will replace fantasmic? Think we'll be sure to hit it next month just in case.

Your John Williams events sound great. My brother is a musician and played with the Houston Symphony for a while. Most of his culture is lost on me until they break into some John Williams tunes ; )

12 days to go before ADR selection

:confused: My mind is spinning! :confused:

With news that the Season of the Force fireworks may come early 2016...I am holding on to a little hope that we will be able to experience it during our trip. It's only on weekends which I am assuming is F, Sa, and Su. So I'm going to dedicate a Sunday (Feb 28) and the Friday evening before we leave (March 4) to be in the DHS area so we can hopefully partake in this event. I also suspect Disney will find it's way for us to spend more money by having some fabulous dessert party just like at Star Wars Weekends this year. So I have to set aside time for that, obviously. :rotfl:

My sister also decided she'll spend a night after the cruise with us at the Poly. Most likely she will not buy a park ticket and will just hang around the resort and go to DTD. So we'll probably not do V & A on that day but we'll have a family meal at our favorite, 'Ohana!

Park hours are also relatively short. MK has park hours of 9-8pm every day except for the weekends, with Wishes happening at 8pm or 9pm (as of the schedule now). I expect this to change, as the dates get closer. I remember one year we went in March and the MK park hours kept getting pushed back later and later and we got closer to the trip.

OK my tentative list of ADRs to make are:

Feb 27th: probably a resort day, maybe some shopping at DTD too! I would like to get 'Ohana in the evening and watch Wishes on the beach! If I can't get 'Ohana I will try California Grill.

Feb 28th: Kona Cafe for breakfast followed by MK. We'll probably grab just a snack for lunch since Kona is so filling. Then evening will be at DHS hopefully for fireworks. Not sure where we are having dinner yet, but I should probably just make an ADR someplace. I'd like to try the new Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen so when ADRs open for that I'll see if I can snag one.

Feb 29th: Quick service at the Poly for breakfast and then DHS. I'm hoping to take the boat to Beach Club to try Beaches 'n Cream for lunch as we've never been here. Then we'll park hop over to Epcot. If I time it right, I should be able to do the 2 Disney Chase Visa character meet in greets (the new one with Darth Vader is supposed to open early 2016 at DHS). I would like to see if we can get an ADR at the new Jock Lindsey's restaurant in DTD, but not sure when they will open. In the meantime I may just pick a restaurant in the Epcot area (maybe San Angel Inn)

March 1st: It's AK today. We usually do Tusker House for brunch. We'll probably spend half a day at AK and head on back to the resort for some pool/down time. I'd like to try Victoria and Alberts for dinner tonight.

March 2nd: The start of Epcot F and G! I'm going to try and get Garden Grill for breakfast. Then for lunch we'll do the food kiosks for lunch. Dinner...hmm not sure yet. Maybe we'll stick around Epcot, if we do I will probably make an ADR for Le Cellier for dinner and then watch Illuminations.

March 3rd: Breakfast at Ohana, then we'll head to MK! We'll probably spend all day here, and for dinner I'll see what I can get an ADR for. Maybe Be Our Guest! Then we can watch Wishes!

March 4th: Our last day (Boo) - head to Epcot F and G again! We'll probably eat a quick breakfast at Sunshine Seasons and then fill up later at the food kiosks! I also really want to go to Marrakesh again. I still have hopes of the Season of the Force fireworks to happen tonight at DHS so want to reserve the evening for this. It looks like DHS will have EMH tonight too. I hope they add a second showing of Fantasmic!

March 5th: We leave early in the morning just as the spring break crowds start to arrive, so looks like we won't get a Disney meal in. Goodbye WDW! :cool:

Whew, I seem to have more ADRs on my wish list than I have time for. :rotfl:
I would still like to go to Whispering Canyon, the Hoop Dee Doo, Jiko....places I have not been to yet.

This isn't an exhaustive list, but let's just see come Aug 31st how this all goes. Crosses fingers I'll get the ADRs I want! :wizard:

I saw all the Star Wars announcements and thought of you ; ) I'm sure you all will be in 7th heaven. Star wars is pretty lost on me but I'm stoked for anything from this century in MGM. Do you think the fireworks will replace fantasmic? Think we'll be sure to hit it next month just in case.

Your John Williams events sound great. My brother is a musician and played with the Houston Symphony for a while. Most of his culture is lost on me until they break into some John Williams tunes ; )

Haha, yes I was dying at all the new Star Wars land stuff...I know it was all rumored anyways, so nothing should be a surprise, but what what surprising was that they were having some new stuff a lot sooner than expected so we may actually get to see the fireworks, etc.

I don't think the they will replace fantasmic!. Fantasmic has it's own theater, and I think the fireworks will happen in the middle of the park where the old sorcerer's hat was. At least that was where all the fireworks I have seen at DHS have been.

Wow, that's cool, what instrument does he play?

12 days to go before ADR selection

:confused: My mind is spinning! :confused:

With the Season of the Force, all the new things opening up at Disney Springs, and the new Skipper Cantina, your ADR choices are kind of hard. Those things are so unknown right now and so tempting. I think your choices look good though. Plus, if something new comes up, you can also switch it with a current ADR. Good luck

EDIT: Did you see the recent changes to the DCL policy on bringing alcohol on board. I don't know if you guys usually bring any or not. We sometimes bring a little. Last year, we got a really good bottle of sparkling sake from Epcot to take on. That was kind of neat and different from normal.

Last edited:
With the Season of the Force, all the new things opening up at Disney Springs, and the new Skipper Cantina, your ADR choices are kind of hard. Those things are so unknown right now and so tempting. I think your choices look good though. Plus, if something new comes up, you can also switch it with a current ADR. Good luck

I know...so many things that are still unknown. I'll work with what I have and most likely will play the ADR switcheroo a few times!

EDIT: Did you see the recent changes to the DCL policy on bringing alcohol on board. I don't know if you guys usually bring any or not. We sometimes bring a little. Last year, we got a really good bottle of sparkling sake from Epcot to take on. That was kind of neat and different from normal.

Yes I did! It doesn't affect us too much as we only brought one bottle of wine before and will probably just bring just 2 bottles this time. I was planning on doing some of the wine/mixology classes on board the ship so I'm even thinking one bottle is sufficient. We're not huge drinkers (although a cruise is probably the perfect time to indulge), but a glass of wine in the sunset/evening on the verandah just can't be beat.

I love sparkling sake! I especially like the dessert ones that taste a little bit sweet. I have a brand I drink regularly, I think it's called Hana Awaka or something like that and it comes in a pink bottle. I'd love to bring some on board but we're limited to finding whatever is at the liquor store on the way from airport to port (if we go via the private transfer option). The last time, it was a small store and pretty limited to mainstream wines and beers. I could bring some from home and pack it in my check-in but I'm so scared it's going to break (even with those padded wine sleeves...plus it adds even more weight to my suitcase), and I don't want to risk it!

Yes I did! It doesn't affect us too much as we only brought one bottle of wine before and will probably just bring just 2 bottles this time. I was planning on doing some of the wine/mixology classes on board the ship so I'm even thinking one bottle is sufficient. We're not huge drinkers (although a cruise is probably the perfect time to indulge), but a glass of wine in the sunset/evening on the verandah just can't be beat.

I love sparkling sake! I especially like the dessert ones that taste a little bit sweet. I have a brand I drink regularly, I think it's called Hana Awaka or something like that and it comes in a pink bottle. I'd love to bring some on board but we're limited to finding whatever is at the liquor store on the way from airport to port (if we go via the private transfer option). The last time, it was a small store and pretty limited to mainstream wines and beers. I could bring some from home and pack it in my check-in but I'm so scared it's going to break (even with those padded wine sleeves...plus it adds even more weight to my suitcase), and I don't want to risk it!

We did one of the mixology classes and loved it. We definitely got our money's worth for $15. I think you went on Magic before, right? If so, the Fantasy has the Skyline lounge. That's where our mixology class was. They offer a passport that gives you so many drinks, each representing a different city in their skyline backdrop, for a certain price. It was really fun to go down and get a new and interesting drink each night. The drinks are really unique and very high quality. It forced us to try some things that we normally wouldn't. Plus, you get to keep the passport book, which lists the cities and the drinks (recipes too I think). It was our favorite lounge, because the skyline backdrop and atmosphere. I wish we had started the passport the first day, but we didn't know about it until a couple of days into the cruise.

We weren't planning on bringing any alcohol, but I couldn't resist the sake. We also stopped off at a grocery store in Coco Beach, I think, and got some prosecco. I really like to get the cocktails on the ship, especially the drink of the day, but having something convenient for the balcony and room is nice.

We did one of the mixology classes and loved it. We definitely got our money's worth for $15. I think you went on Magic before, right? If so, the Fantasy has the Skyline lounge. That's where our mixology class was. They offer a passport that gives you so many drinks, each representing a different city in their skyline backdrop, for a certain price. It was really fun to go down and get a new and interesting drink each night. The drinks are really unique and very high quality. It forced us to try some things that we normally wouldn't. Plus, you get to keep the passport book, which lists the cities and the drinks (recipes too I think). It was our favorite lounge, because the skyline backdrop and atmosphere. I wish we had started the passport the first day, but we didn't know about it until a couple of days into the cruise.

We weren't planning on bringing any alcohol, but I couldn't resist the sake. We also stopped off at a grocery store in Coco Beach, I think, and got some prosecco. I really like to get the cocktails on the ship, especially the drink of the day, but having something convenient for the balcony and room is nice.

I've heard so much about the Skyline lounge! It sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to check out that passport. It sounds like something that I'd like to do! I guess it's like drinking around the World Showcase during Food and Wine, but all at one stop! :thumbsup2

I did try some of the cocktails of the day on the cruise but I thought some of them were too sweet. I still liked trying them though and liked they offered different things every day. So excited!!

ADR Strategies 180 days out

I am wondering, when your 180 day mark comes, and 6am ET hits, how do you begin your search for ADRs?:surfweb:
Do you start with your first day or last day and then work your way back? Or do you pick your most desired ADRs first and work around there?

I think, for the most part, I have been OK with just picking my first day ADR and working my way to the last day.
But we've usually gone in very low season so getting ADRs were never really an issue.
Unless you count that one time I couldn't get Ohana until the day we left Disney so I extended our trip one day. :rotfl:

So maybe I'll try starting with my most desired ADRs first. If I can't get it on the day I want, I will have to work it into another day.

In order of priority:

1) Victoria and Albert's - dinner
2) Be Our Guest - dinner
3) Ohana - dinner and breakfast
4) Garden Grill - breakfast
5) Le Cellier - dinner
6) Yachtsman Steakhouse - dinner

As a sort of preview test, I logged in to check for ADRs this morning - 9:15am my time - 180 days out is February 16 - smack in the middle of presidents week.
I was surprised as to what I found. I found availability for Be Our Guest for dinner, Ohana for dinner, and everything else on my list EXCEPT Victoria and Albert's.
I wonder if I had logged in at 6am, would I have found it. Yawn. I won't bother to test that.

I think everything else I should be able to get an ADR for with no problem (crosses fingers).
And the Skipper Canteen and Jock Lindseys...we'll make those ADRs when they are available (crosses fingers).

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Whew, I seem to have more ADRs on my wish list than I have time for. :rotfl:
I would still like to go to Whispering Canyon, the Hoop Dee Doo, Jiko....places I have not been to yet.

So many good places to eat and not enough days to hit them all!! I'm finding this too! I have too many ADR wish list places and not enough days to fill them! I keep having to remind myself it's ok if I don't get to everything on this upcoming trip, save some for next time! :)

I think everything else I should be able to get an ADR for with no problem (crosses fingers).
And the Skipper Canteen and Jock Lindseys...we'll make those ADRs when they are available (crosses fingers).

ADR day is so exciting. I'm just like you, I'd totally do a trial run! Does anyone know when Skipper Canteen and Jock Lindsey's is supposed to open? I'm wondering about Morimoto Asia also. As if we needed more things to add to the wish list! :cutie:

Oh my goodness that Victoria & Albert's dinner plan! Can't wait to read that review, yumm

So many good places to eat and not enough days to hit them all!! I'm finding this too! I have too many ADR wish list places and not enough days to fill them! I keep having to remind myself it's ok if I don't get to everything on this upcoming trip, save some for next time! :)

That's what I always say! But then I get sad that I don't get to try a new place or an old favorite...sigh. I need to make more trips to WDW!

ADR day is so exciting. I'm just like you, I'd totally do a trial run! Does anyone know when Skipper Canteen and Jock Lindsey's is supposed to open? I'm wondering about Morimoto Asia also. As if we needed more things to add to the wish list! :cutie:[/QUOTE]

I know, right? Skipper Canteen and Jock Lindsey's are supposed to open later this year. So hopefully they will announce ADRs in the fall. I can't wait!

Oh my goodness that Victoria & Albert's dinner plan! Can't wait to read that review, yumm

I know, I've always wanted to eat here! I just hope I can get a ressie. Otherwise it'll all be in vain...:rotfl:

ADR Strategies 180 days out

I am wondering, when your 180 day mark comes, and 6am ET hits, how do you begin your search for ADRs?:surfweb:
Do you start with your first day or last day and then work your way back? Or do you pick your most desired ADRs first and work around there?

I think, for the most part, I have been OK with just picking my first day ADR and working my way to the last day.
But we've usually gone in very low season so getting ADRs were never really an issue.
Unless you count that one time I couldn't get Ohana until the day we left Disney so I extended our trip one day. :rotfl:

So maybe I'll try starting with my most desired ADRs first. If I can't get it on the day I want, I will have to work it into another day.

In order of priority:

1) Victoria and Albert's - dinner
2) Be Our Guest - dinner
3) Ohana - dinner and breakfast
4) Garden Grill - breakfast
5) Le Cellier - dinner
6) Yachtsman Steakhouse - dinner

As a sort of preview test, I logged in to check for ADRs this morning - 9:15am my time - 180 days out is February 16 - smack in the middle of presidents week.
I was surprised as to what I found. I found availability for Be Our Guest for dinner, Ohana for dinner, and everything else on my list EXCEPT Victoria and Albert's.
I wonder if I had logged in at 6am, would I have found it. Yawn. I won't bother to test that.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

You may have to call V&A directly. I thought I had read this in the V&A thread. They recently changed it, but I don't know if it was just for F&W or not.

Really looking forward to reading this per and trip report. We are on The Fantasy in August next year, we're just inside our 1 year to go pixiedust::yay:pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter