$399 DVC Premium Annual Pass-Extended?-Speculation

We haven't received any survey yet. We upgraded our APs to PAPs when they started the special Oct 2012, we paid only about $30 extra from the regular FL AP price. We also bought 2 vouchers for 2013 in Dec. 2012.
All in all, we saved probably $800 off the regular price of the PAP.
I can say for a fact we would not have paid more for PAP, it's just too expensive without the special price.

I hope they make it a permanent perk. It's a win-win in my opinion, people will spend more in the parks and visit more often.

Thanks for the link. I went and listened to it and am now totally annoyed. I had thought that the new FP+ was going to be a good thing as I had assumed that you would be still able to use the regular FP, but you will not be able to use both and the expectation is that FP will eventually be eliminated.

With the restrictions on the FP+, there is no way I can tour a park like I currently do. I like to ride the same ride 3-4 times a day and I don't like waiting in a line longer than 15 minutes.

This is almost enough to make me give up on WDW and just go to Universal.

In that podcast they are primarily getting their information from their interpretations of the terms and conditions on disney website. it makes sense that at first you can not use FP+ and the old FP system because one is RFID and the other is not. Maybe they plan to phase out the old FP system and put in kiosks similar to what they have but are RFID capable. Since they are rolling out RFID abilities to specific groups at a time they almost have to keep both FP versions at the same time because it would not be a fair to the groups who do not have RFID. When everyone is RFID, then bring in the kiosks and tear out the paper ticket machines.

Disney continually mentions the goal is to lower wait times as well as they want to appeal to people who don't plan ahead. If I get to interpret too, that sounds to me like they will keep a system like the old FP as well.

No one here knows how it will work, everyone is guessing.

You do realize they read these boards? So if you post on here "I told them I would not take trips, but that is not true" they may discount those survey results you are trying so hard to skew LOL

I did not receive a survey either. This only our second time in 11 years of being members that we have bought pap. We figured the price was great and we planned some extra trips out of it. We took advantage of the 20% while it lasted. But after that it will be back to non-expiring.

As DVC members, does anyone else feel slightly "bait-and-switched" with the reduction of the premium annual pass discount discount from 20% to 10%?

As DVC members, does anyone else feel slightly "bait-and-switched" with the reduction of the premium annual pass discount discount from 20% to 10%?
No, I think most of us knew it could change at any time.

"Most of us 'knew' that it could change at any time?"

A 3-month window gets opened for a special buying opportunity and during that period certain benefits are being promoted -- then at the very end of that buying opportunity a key benefit changes.

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also practiced in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price; then customers discover the advertised goods are not available.
The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait.

Just because Disney has legalese that states the discounts were only good through 12/31/12, does not change the fact that a purchase was made with a reasonable expectation.

I can sympathize to some degree. But this should serve as a reminder that you really need to focus on the core benefits of any purchase (especially where Disney is concerned.)

The point of theme park annual passes is the park admission. A decision to buy should be based upon a desire to visit the respective parks...not other ancillary benefits which may accompany that purchase. The flyers distributed with AP purchases always have had pre-determined end dates.

There are a lot of different departments and managers involved in operating the Disney theme parks. The terms of the DVC PAP discount would have been negotiated some time in mid-2012 and it was unveiled in September. Given uncertainties involving the economy, personally I doubt that Disney had made any firm decisions on 2013 discount programs at that time. Strikes me as more of a coincidence than anything...an unfortunate coincidence for some, but still a coincidence.

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

To me, the KEY benefit of an AP is admission. Every single thing beyond that is absolutely extra. I wasn't even thinking of the 20%, I wasn't even thinking there WAS a 20% discount, when we bought them. We bought them for admission.

I upgraded from the AP to the PAP because it actually saved me money as I ended up getting $80 back. I did email Disney though and tell them that the optics of offering the PAP for sale 1 month before changing one the key perks of the cards wasn't good and that while the 20% discount did caused me to buy things I normally would not, the 10% discount will not affect my purchasing decisions.

Just because Disney has legalese that states the discounts were only good through 12/31/12, does not change the fact that a purchase was made with a reasonable expectation.

The only reasonable assumption was 366 days of unlimited admission to four theme parks, two water parks, DisneyQuest and golf at Oak Trail.

The product you bought isn't a 20% merchandise coupon. It's a theme park ticket. And they have a history of making changes to the ancillary perks and benefits associated with that ticket.

A 3-month window gets opened for a special buying opportunity and during that period certain benefits are being promoted -- then at the very end of that buying opportunity a key benefit changes.

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also practiced in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price; then customers discover the advertised goods are not available.
The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait.

Your argument holds no ground. The discounts offered to AP holders are nothing more than an extended thank you from Disney. They're not the product that was purchased.

If you seriously bought your PAP(s) because you believed that 20% discount was the make it or break it point and will not be happy with the passes themselves, go to Disney and demand your money back. I'm sure to keep you happy they'll allow you to exchange it in for any pass you desire. Of course, you may need to pay a few more $ to downgrade to an AP.

If DVC members were the only people buying the PAP's during that time frame, I would agree. But PAP's were available for sale to everyone during the entire year. So the change in discount applies to everyone, probably far more non-DVC than DVC. Plus the discounted price was $300 off, even less than the discounted regular AP's. So we still got a good deal even with the 10% purchase discount.

If you have not used it yet and are upset about the change, I would ask for a refund, they will probably give it to you.

I just wish they would compromise and allow us to 'stack' a PAP and a DVC merchandise discount. Is it too much to ask that we receive 20% off of the ever growing line up of cheap plastic crap?

HAHA

The only time a 20% discount REALLY makes a big difference in a buying decision is when the total is over $50.00

Let's be honest, most people aren't going to decide NOT to buy a product that is $10 based on the lack of a discount.

When you do a major shopping spree, like we have in the past for Christmas (during out after Thanksgiving trips) YES we would likely not buy near as much. In fact, we would likely spend 20% less - or just shop somewhere else entirely.

Given that we have made $400-$500 purchases for Niece and Nephews for Christmas - we won't be don't that scale of shopping with only a flat 10% discount. There would have to be some sort of sale, promotion, or other offer that sweetened the pot.

At the end of the day, the vast majority of stuff for sale in the parks isn't high quality 'stuff'. It is cheap stuff that will hit an outlet at 50% off or MORE if it doesn't move off the shelves.

I recently found a ton of the D Tech products at a Disney outlet for a minimum of 80% off the sticker price. Their profit margin is at least 90% of the sticker... for most products. Disney doesn't order small quantities - they order thousands or hundred thousands - or perhaps if it is a product that can be sold at DLR and WDW - they order a million or more. Keychains, pins, hats, water bottles - stuff that they can send out the door for $10.00 each or more every day of the week, 365 days a year.

They offer plush products for buy one get one free through the online Disney store - so you know that there is a MEGA markup on that stuff!

Does it suck that the discount is gone? YES, it does - however, they will bring it back if they see their sales go down.

DVC folks are value conscience, or we wouldn't own one of the most expensive timeshare programs in the world - BUT we get more than what we pay for in terms of savings and such.

So, if you want the discount back, don't buy anything on your future Disney trips - let your wallet do the talking!

I don't think any of us needed the dictionary definition to understand your point, I simply disagree with your interpretation. These benefits are added perks and one should know they could change at any time. The same can be said for any perks from DVC that are not contractual like pool hopping. I'd reference you to people that arrived at some of the DVC resorts a few years ago with free valet parking only to be hit with fees on checkout without warning. IMO, that group (and only that group) really had any complaints. Or those that bought BLT only to have the points reallocation before they could even use the system, again legal but a bit of a slap in the face. I know DVD did something for that group but I'm not recalling the specific remedy they offered.

A little bit off topic, but in regards to a previous post about the 10% PAP discount. During last years F&W my husband bought a fairly expensive piece of art at the festival center. I wasn't completely on board with the purchase, but what a Disney fan wants he must have.

Anyway, at the register, I was the one asking about discounts "I am DVC, have an (regular) AP, and am a Disney Visa card member." I knew we should get at least 10% with any one of them having bought other items earlier that week. Well, she said oh AP and Disney Visa, I can give you both for a 20% discount. Major deal for the money we spent. If only all the stores would do this.

The discount change did not bother me. We were already planning to buy APs with the DVC discount, so buying the DVC PAPs actually saved us money right off the bat. I did get one day of the 20% discount (New Year's trip), which was very nice, but we do not spend so much on souvenirs to care much about 10% instead of 20%.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I am feeling stupid for having missed the $399 annual pass offer since I was not on the boards around then and it ended up on my spam mail. :confused3 Does anyone know whether this offer has been extended? If not, how much do AP's cost for DVC members? I have never bought one before since this is the first year we will have enough points to take two trips.

I am feeling stupid for having missed the $399 annual pass offer since I was not on the boards around then and it ended up on my spam mail. :confused3 Does anyone know whether this offer has been extended? If not, how much do AP's cost for DVC members? I have never bought one before since this is the first year we will have enough points to take two trips.

It was not extended...but, you can get the DVC AP for $425 plus tax. I think the DVC PAP is $559 plus tax.

A little bit off topic, but in regards to a previous post about the 10% PAP discount. During last years F&W my husband bought a fairly expensive piece of art at the festival center. I wasn't completely on board with the purchase, but what a Disney fan wants he must have.

Anyway, at the register, I was the one asking about discounts "I am DVC, have an (regular) AP, and am a Disney Visa card member." I knew we should get at least 10% with any one of them having bought other items earlier that week. Well, she said oh AP and Disney Visa, I can give you both for a 20% discount. Major deal for the money we spent. If only all the stores would do this.

You only occassionally get the "I failed cashier training cashier" She was not suppose to do that LOL! It's not a special deal at Festival Center, it was "i am clueless" discount. You might not get that one ever again!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter