• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 WDW Trips in 6 months: August, October and December Reports *Completed*

Morning comes and Stitch and Mickey call to wake us up. Buzz picks up the phone, puts in back and then presses the button to put the phone on speaker so I could hear it before he realizes that he hung up on our wake-up call. :headache: We get up and Buzz calls for another wake-up in 15 minutes. Eventually Mickey and Stitch call again and our first theme park day begins.

horsepost-600.jpg

Buzz and I were up and ready first, so while we waited for Mom and Dad, we set out around Riverside to get a few photos before breakfast. Buzz worked his way all the way to Ol’ Man Island while I didn’t stray far from Acadian House.

mansiongrounds-600.jpg

riversidewindows-600.jpg

riversidebayou-600.jpg

A glimpse of Alligator Bayou just a little farther down the river. Out of all of our stays at Riverside over the years, we’ve never stayed in this area, only the mansions. We’d never really taken much time to even explore the area before.

riversidessc-600.jpg

Once everyone is ready for breakfast, we head towards the food court.

riversidemillwheel-600.jpg

The Riverside Mill. Since we knew we would be eating well at Yak and Yeti for lunch, we grabbed a quick breakfast and headed off to the bus stop. It wasn’t long until we were on our way to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

aksign-600-1.jpg

We arrived at the park just a little bit before opening. I was hoping that we would make it there for rope drop to see the characters come out on their jeep and open the park, but we were just a little too late and missed it. Oh, well. We were able to get right into the park though and start exploring.

spoonbill1-600.jpg

We began the day by looking at some of the animal habitats in the Oasis, eventually intending to make our way to Africa and hit Kilimanjaro Safaris. The spoonbills were our first animal sighting off the day.

spoonbill2-600.jpg

macaw-600.jpg

Farther down the path a little, we find some macaws.

treeoflife1-600.jpg

The Tree of Life!

treeoflifegardenssign-600.jpg

While Buzz, Mom and Dad looked at some of the animals around the Tree, I went off to see if Lilo and Stitch were out yet. It turned out that they were and had a short line, so I hopped right into the queue.

lilo-600.jpg

First character of the trip! It had been almost 7 years since the last time I had seen Lilo out in the parks, so I was thrilled to finally find her again.

liloauto-600.jpg

Not only was Lilo the first character of the trip but also the first new autograph of the trip as well. The last time I had met Lilo was before I had gotten back into collecting character autographs, so her autograph had been missing from my collection.

stitch-600.jpg

Ever mischievous, Stitch was in a very havoc-causing mood this morning. :stitch:First he tried to steal my backpack to see if there was any food in it. After I assured him I had nothing to eat he decided that my autograph book could be a tasty snack. He was even growling and making all of his “Stitch noises” which I had never heard him do out for meet-and-greets.

stitchauto-600.jpg

I had already gotten Stitch’s autograph on a previous trip and normally don’t get repeat autographs, but who am I to say no to Stitch when he was in this sort of mood?

lilostitch-600.jpg

Stitch's handler told me that Stitch was jealous of me and felt like I was getting between him and Lilo. I assured Stitch than Lilo was still his best friend and that I would never get between them. We seemed to get along just fine after that. I managed to get one more group photo before heading on.

harambe-600.jpg

After regrouping, the whole family headed to Harambe on our way to Kilimanjaro Safaris. It felt so good to see such a beautiful blue sky! On all of our family trips last year, every day we spent in the parks was mostly gray skies or rainy. They were still fun, but I was really hoping to get some beautiful blue skies on this trip because I think they make for better pictures than white or gray ones. It was beginning to look like it was going to be a lovely trip! :thumbsup2

Next chapter: Animal Adventures in Africa

I remember the beach one too. If I remember right, Spike punches a bunch of holes in Donald's intertube with his stinger and shoots him into shark infested waters or something. I'll have to look for that one too.

Yep, that is the one I am thinking of!

You can tell from your photos that you had gorgeous weather that day!

Lilo's signature is really cute. :thumbsup2

You can tell from your photos that you had gorgeous weather that day!

Lilo's signature is really cute. :thumbsup2

Yes, I suppose that a picture is worth a thousand words to show that, but after a year where most of the time, the weather in the parks looked something like this:

grayskies-800.jpg

it’s nice to be able to say how nice the weather was. :teeth:

Hi meeko!

Great photos! The ones of POR look amazing! AB looks really nice as well, for some reason I always pictured that area as being more 'rustic' and tin roofie? :confused3 It looks just as nice as the mansions, and I'd be quite happy to stay there! :goodvibes

You look like you got a really nice day as well, as you say, a nice change from the grey skies.

You look like you had fun with Stitch - he's a rascal!

Hope you had a nice meal at Yak & Yeti, I've raved about it so much I hope I haven't given anyone a duff recommendation. :rolleyes1

Di x

Hi meeko!

Great photos! The ones of POR look amazing! AB looks really nice as well, for some reason I always pictured that area as being more 'rustic' and tin roofie? :confused3 It looks just as nice as the mansions, and I'd be quite happy to stay there! :goodvibes

You look like you got a really nice day as well, as you say, a nice change from the grey skies.

You look like you had fun with Stitch - he's a rascal!

Hope you had a nice meal at Yak & Yeti, I've raved about it so much I hope I haven't given anyone a duff recommendation. :rolleyes1

Di x

Hey Di! The Bayou does look really nice. Wish we had more time to look around over there.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but let me just say your recommendation of Yak and Yet was a good one. I should be getting the review up hopefully in the next couple of weeks depending on how much time I have.

Yes, I suppose that a picture is worth a thousand words to show that, but after a year where most of the time, the weather in the parks looked something like this:

grayskies-800.jpg

it’s nice to be able to say how nice the weather was. :teeth:

That seems so familiar....yep...that is how my May trip was. :lmao:

That seems so familiar....yep...that is how my May trip was. :lmao:

:laughing: Well, that's summer in Florida for you. We may be the "Sunshine State" but any sun is much more appreciated here between May and September.

I'm loving your updates!! How fun that you were able to meet up with Lilo and Stitch...I would love to be able to find Lilo this fall!!!

Really can't wait to hear more about your Yak and Yeti meal that is one of my most favorite places to eat at AK!

I'm loving your updates!! How fun that you were able to meet up with Lilo and Stitch...I would love to be able to find Lilo this fall!!!

Really can't wait to hear more about your Yak and Yeti meal that is one of my most favorite places to eat at AK!

Lilo and Stitch were a lot of fun. I've heard a rummor that Lilo and Stitch might start appearing in Adventureland too starting in October, so hopefully that will double your chances of finding Lilo.

The Yak and Yeti report is coming, but I will be surprised if I have the time to be able to get it up this week. :sad2: I should be able to get at least the Kilimanjaro Safaris/ Pangani Trail chapter up this week though.

kilimanjaroentrance-600.jpg

Now that we had made it to Africa, we headed for the first ride of the day- Kilimanjaro Safaris. The wait time was only 10 minutes so we just got in line. The park didn’t seem to crowded yet today. Last time that we were at AK a couple of years back we made the mistake of coming on an Extra Magic Hour morning and the crowds were huge with Kilimanjaro having a 40 minute wait time at 8am! This worked out much better. We basically just walked through the queue and within minutes we were on our way!

kilimanjaro1-600.jpg

Entering Harambe Wildlife Preserve for our photo safari.

kilimanjaro2-600.jpg

kilimanjaro3-600.jpg

The Savannah. You can vaguely see a giraffe near the middle of the picture.

kilimanjaro4-600.jpg

So why did the giraffe cross the road? To get to the other side, of course. We were only stopped for a little while to let it pass, but it was fun to get to see it up close and right in front of us.

kilimanjaro5-600.jpg

A few Thompson’s Gazelles.

kilimanjaro6-600.jpg

I think this is my favorite picture from the safari. Apparently the baby elephant was only about a month old. The only awkward thing about it was that the radio spiel about the missing baby elephant went off right as we were passing it. Why are the wardens so worried? The baby elephant is right here! :confused3

kilimanjaro7-600.jpg

More elephants.

kilimanjaro8-600.jpg

Rhinos.

kilimanjaro9-600.jpg

We got to see one male lion which the driver was surprised was still awake. He said we were lucky because in a few minutes he would probably be asleep again. I’d believe it.

kilimanjaro10-600.jpg

We had a pretty good ride. Besides all the animals, the most noteworthy thing I can recall is that the shaky bridge that almost “gives way” near the middle of the ride was working. I don’t remember this happening the last few times I’ve been on it, so it was a nice surprise.

kilimanjarowarden-600.jpg

Having rescued the elephants from the poachers, we’re let off at the nearest warden’s station and take a look around before continuing our adventure on foot at the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail.

panganitent-600.jpg

panganimolerats-600.jpg

Naked Mole Rats! These guys were all out while their tunnels were being refurbished last time we were here.

pangani-bird.jpg

We continue on to another highlight of the trail- the aviary. There were plenty of birds out that morning to watch.

panganifish-600.jpg

And plenty of fish to see in the water below.

panganiwaterfall-600.jpg

panganiwaterfall2-600.jpg

panganiart-600.jpg

A display of children’s art along the path.

panganimeerkat-600.jpg

A meerkat a little further on. The meerkats here always seem to be so serious- always digging and standing guard- very much unlike the ones at Busch Gardens which just seem to hang out, wrestle with each other and don’t necessarily have anyone keeping watch.

panganigotilla-600.jpg

And, of course, the gorilla habitat serves as the finale for the journey. It was a little hard to get any good photos of the gorillas this time around. They were either too far back in the habitat, in the shade, or next to the window with a ton of reflections on them. It was still fun though. Having thoroughly explored the Harambe reserve, we head back towards the rest of the park.

Next chapter: Exploring the Character Greeting Trails.

Hi Meeko!

Great update, and you got some stunning photos from the safari! :thumbsup2 Sounds like you had a busy day!

Di x

Thanks Di. Glad you liked the safari pics. I think photo-wise, this was my best ride yet. Not as many blurred or bumpy shots this time (though there were still a bunch, none of which will be getting posted lol).

harambemail-600.jpg

After our safari adventures, the rest of the family wanted to spend some time looking around Harambe and checking out the marketplace shop there. I took this as the perfect time to head a little down the path and check out the new Africa Character Greeting Trails. Since Baloo and King Louie’s location was removed to add more seating for Tamu Tamu, they had been moved to a location on the path between Africa and Asia and were joined by a few more animal friends.

terk1-600.jpg

The first character on the trail was Terk from Tarzan. She was actually one of the characters I was most hoping to find on this trip since I haven’t seen her in years, so I was glad that she was out.

terk2-600.jpg

terkauto-600.jpg

Another new autograph!

The next characters along the path were Baloo and King Louie. Once I got there, they were just leaving to take a break, but returned in a couple of minutes.

baloo1-600.jpg

Baloo making his way down the path to his greeting location.

baloolouie-600.jpg

Baloo and King Louie were quite the characters that day too! Before, I had only met the two characters separately so I didn’t realize that when they’re together, they’re always fighting with each other and trying to one-up the other.

kinglouie-600.jpg

King Louie got his individual portrait done first since he’s royalty. His poses today were just too funny.

baloo2-600.jpg

Baloo got his portrait next. King Louie tried to make a running up into the picture, but I managed to take it right before he flew into the shot. It might have made a funny picture if he managed to succeed, but I was happy with the results.

treeoflife2-600.jpg

After saying farewell to the Jungle Book crew I headed down to the part of the trail that overlooks the Tree of Life. There was one more character to be found.

flik1-600.jpg

Flik! It had been a few years since I had seen him (though not as long as any of the other characters I’d seen today) so I was glad to find him as well.

flik2-600.jpg

I thought his set-up with the Tree in the background was just fantastic. This one has to be one of my favorite character photos of the trip.

Not long after I met Flik, the rest of the family was finished checking out Harambe so we met up and headed on to Asia. I was really happy with my visit to the Africa Character Greeting Trails. In a fairly short amount of time, I was able to find a number of more unique characters that you don’t see in many other locations in the parks anymore, all with pretty short lines (I don’t think I ever had two or so families in front of my at any of the characters). Hopefully this stays around. :thumbsup2

Next chapter: Asian adventures and lunch at the Yak & Yeti 

Hi Meeko!

You got some really got photos of the characters, King Louie and Baloo sound hysterical, I'll need to keep an eye out for them. And the one with Flik and the Tree is lovely!

Can't wait to read about your lunch!

Di x

What beautiful pictures!

I love the character pictures. King Louie looks like a really fun character to meet. I have to agree with you the picture of Flik with the Tree of Life in the background is a stunning photograph.

Woot!! I'm all caught up now!! YAY!!! I'm glad I haven't missed the Yak and Yeti review yet...I'm so looking forward to what you thought!!

Love your character pictures...they are just awesome :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

You guys sound like you had an amazing day so far at AK!!

Hi Meeko!

You got some really got photos of the characters, King Louie and Baloo sound hysterical, I'll need to keep an eye out for them. And the one with Flik and the Tree is lovely!

Can't wait to read about your lunch!

Di x

Thanks Di. King Louie and Baloo were a lot of fun. They're a little hidden along the path, but if you look you should be able to find them. I'm hoping to get the Yak & Yeti review up by tomorrow, so you won't have too much more of a wait.

What beautiful pictures!

I love the character pictures. King Louie looks like a really fun character to meet. I have to agree with you the picture of Flik with the Tree of Life in the background is a stunning photograph.

LL, you're back! Nice to see you DISing again. :) Glad that you liked the pics. King Louie was great. I'd met him by himself before, but with Baloo to play off of he was fantastic.

Woot!! I'm all caught up now!! YAY!!! I'm glad I haven't missed the Yak and Yeti review yet...I'm so looking forward to what you thought!!

Love your character pictures...they are just awesome :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

You guys sound like you had an amazing day so far at AK!!

Hey Jen. Great to have you all caught up. The day so far was awesome, and it feels like it's just begun! Lots more to come.

Since we were getting closer to our ADR time at Yak & Yeti, we had planned to spend some time at the Maharajah Jungle Trek in Asia before lunch.

maharajah1-600.jpg

First along the trail was the Komodo Dragon. A CM was on hand to tell everyone just how easy it is for a Komodo Dragon to take down a person. :scared: I don’t think that I really wanted to know that.

maharajah2-600.jpg

Signs warn us of tigers in the area.

maharajah3-600.jpg

Further along the path, we find my favorites, the tigers- sleeping as usual

maharajah4-600.jpg

Every now and then the one closest to the glass would roll over and stretch. They’re so much giant kitties.

maharajah5-600.jpg

I have to admit, I think I actually prefer the tiger outlooks at Jungala in Busch Gardens, but the theming of the area here at the Animal Kingdom is phenomenal.

maharajah6-600.jpg

maharajah7-600.jpg

Some cattle graze at another area along the trail.

maharajah8-600.jpg

Nearby, there were a few Elds Deer. Buzz loves deer so we stuck around and watched them for a while.

maharajah9-600.jpg

They are beautiful animals.

maharajah10-600.jpg

maharajah11-600.jpg

We made it to the crossroads between where you can opt to exit the trails or go into the aviary. It was getting close to lunch time so we decided to exit the trail and come back to do the aviary when we have time after lunch.

yakyettisign-600.jpg

We arrived at Yak & Yeti about 15 minutes before our ADR time, and were greeted by a CM asking if we had a reservation before we even walked in the door. After examining his list of ADRs, he told us that we were not on it for today. :scared1: The way he talked, he made it sound like this sort of thing happened a lot at Yak & Yeti, but fortunately for us, there wasn’t anyone waiting so we were seated right away. I’m hoping that this is just hiccups in the ADR system (which sometimes happens at new restaurants) and not a problem that will continue.

yakyettistatue-600.jpg

Inside, the restaurant was beautifully decorated.

yakyettidining-600.jpg

Our dining area ended up being on the second floor. There wasn’t as much statues and artifacts on the wall as some of the other sections, but it did have a great view of the park below. It was nice for crowd-watching, but the duck-watching was much more fun. There was a whole line of ducks trying to weave in and out of the crowds to get popcorn that guests had dropped. Very cute and entertaining.

yakyettilight-600.jpg

One of the lighting fixtures in our dining room.

And now for the food! It was a tough choice with so many good looking items on the menu, but I ended up having the Tempura Shrimp. It was fantastic. Buzz got the Crispy Honey Chicken and greatly enjoyed that as well. Mom got a couple of appetizers- Steamed Mussels (she loves mussels) and Wok-Fried Green Beans. Dad, I believe, got the beef and broccoli. It was clear- Yak & Yeti was definitely a hit with us! :thumbsup2

While we were leaving, the waiting room was completely full and that a number of parties there also for some reason were missing from the ADR list at the restaurant. Glad we got there early or we might have had quite a wait! Again, the CM made it sound like this was a normal occurrence, so just in case, I’d recommend getting to Yak & Yeti early and making sure that you’re on the ADR list at the restaurant.

yakyettiwindow-600.jpg

Another view of the restaurant after the meal. The restaurant not only ended up being a great addition to the dining line-up at the park, but really adds to the whole Asia area theming-wise. It’s very well done.

yakyettihibiscus-600.jpg

After lingering around the restaurant's exterior for a few more pictures, we started headed back towards Maharajah Jungle Trek.

Next chapter: More of Asia, Africa and Discovery Island

Hi Meeko!

Another great update and photos! As for the komodo dragon - was it not one of them that attacked Sharon Stone's ex-husband and he nearly died?

Anyway, glad you liked Yak & Yeti, it's a gorgeous restaurant and the food is lovely! I was paranoid and phoned to double check our ADRs about twice before the holiday. They had spelt my surname wrongly the first time on some of them, and then again when we got to the hotel, I had to give them the ADR numbers to clear it all up! So I wonder if that's what happened with you maybe?

Di x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter