3 WDW Trips in 6 months: August, October and December Reports *Completed*

I have to agree with you that the All Star Movies food court looks really neat!

No suggestions on the counter service at MK. I usually eat at Casey's which can get a bit crowded but I love sitting on the bleachers.

Well, our August trip is right around the corner, but before returning to the planning for that, I just wanted to share a little about the trip after that- Buzz and my birthday trip in October. I’m happy to report that we now have an ADR for breakfast at Cape May Cafe. I’m very excited. We’ve never been to this breakfast before (we have tried the clambake at dinner and enjoyed it though), so it will be something new. Plus, we haven’t been to a character meal since we did the breakfast at 1900 Park Fare 4 years or so, and I’ve really been wanting to try one another one.

It’s looking like Cape May will be our big splurge meal of the trip and that the rest will be counter service. I’m pretty sure we’ll do a meal at the food court at All Star Movies (which looks pretty cool based on how it looks in photos) and a meal at Magic Kingdom, but we’re not sure where yet. We both like Columbia Harbor House, so we may end up there. We’ve still got more time to decide that though. Any suggestions for good counter service restaurants at MK? Good food, not too crazy with crowds and air conditioning are all pluses for us.

That’s about if for October right now. I really like how things are looking so far. I really hope this turns out to be a fantastic trip.

Hi Meeko!

Great news on Cape May - it's a great fun breakfast! The costumes and the characters are great!

We always ate at Columbia Harbour House last trip and it was lovely, the other place I thought of was Cosmic Rays (I think, though we never actually ate there). I read about it on UG and it sounded nice. Certainly CHH was quiet when we were there and we always got a table no problem up the stairs.

Di x

I have to agree with you that the All Star Movies food court looks really neat!

No suggestions on the counter service at MK. I usually eat at Casey's which can get a bit crowded but I love sitting on the bleachers.

We've been inside Casey's before late at night during the Pirate and Princess Party a few years back, but we've never eaten there. Buzz really thought the bleachers were cool since they face a screen that shows clips from old Disney cartoons. I'm sure they get crowded during lunch though. Plus, we've never really been the biggest hot dog fans. I'll add it to the "Maybe List". Thanks.

Hi Meeko!

Great news on Cape May - it's a great fun breakfast! The costumes and the characters are great!

We always ate at Columbia Harbour House last trip and it was lovely, the other place I thought of was Cosmic Rays (I think, though we never actually ate there). I read about it on UG and it sounded nice. Certainly CHH was quiet when we were there and we always got a table no problem up the stairs.

Di x

Columbia Harbour House is our favorite in the park. We've never had a problem there and always loved it. We've never tried Cosmic Rays though. It really does look cool though. It would be fun to eat and watch Sonny Eclipse to his show. I've heard it gets pretty crowded though. Another possible "Maybe" though. Thanks.

Lately, Buzz and I have been putting together some music for the trip to Disney. The car that we’ll be taking doesn’t have a working CD player but does have a tape player, so we’re going to be going old school and making a mix tape for the trip. We wanted to include music that represents a lot of the places, attractions, restaurants and other things we hope to do or see on this trip to sort of create a soundtrack for the trip. All of these songs come from either our own CD collection (which has a lot of Disney music, no surprise) or itunes. There are also a few songs from Walt Disney World Forever CDs that we made in the parks. These were kiosks in the parks where you could pick various musical tracks including music from Disney attractions, shows, parades, and atmosphere loops and they burn you a personalized CD with songs you selected. I wish they still had this; I would have loved to have made more of these. I’m pretty happy with how the mix tape has turned out. Can’t wait to hear it as we drive to WDW.

Here are the tracks:
  • A Spoon Full Of Sugar (from Harry Connick, Jr.’s Songs I Heard album)
  • Under the Sea (from Mannheim Steamroller Meets The Mouse album)
  • I’ve Got No Strings (from Pinocchio)
  • Oasis Garden Theme (Disney’s Animal Kingdom area music/ WDW Forever)
  • Call Me, Beep Me (from Kim Possible)
  • Run, Llama, Run (from The Emperor’s New Groove)
  • Oogie Boogie Song (from The Nightmare Before Christmas)
  • I Already Have A Husband (Adventureland and Disney’s Animal Kingdom area music/ Balafon Marimba Ensemble album)
  • Topsy Turvy (from The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
  • Minnie’s Yoo-Hoo (Disney’s Animal Kingdom area music/ WDW Forever)
  • Rainbow Connection (from The Muppet Movie)
  • Define Dancing (instrumental from WALL-E)
  • Ev'rybody Wants To Be A Cat (from Disney’s On The Record cast recording)
  • The Spirit of Adventure (from Up)
  • I Just Can’t Wait To Be King (from The Lion King)
  • EPCOT Entrance Medley (EPCOT area music/ Walt Disney World Official Album)
  • Heffalumps and Woozles (from Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day)
  • End Creditouille (instrumental from Ratatouille)
  • Welcome (from Brother Bear)
  • Turkey in the Straw (from Steamboat Willie)
  • Love Is A Song (from Bambi)
  • McQueen and Sally (instrumental from Cars)
  • Suite of Dreams: Adventure (from Disney’s Magic in the Streets album)
  • Fronds Like These (instrumental from Finding Nemo)
  • The Bare Necessities (from Kerry Butler’s Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust album)
  • Beauty and the Bees (from It’s Tough To Be A Bug/ WDW Official Album)
  • International Fantasy (from EPCOT's Illuminations 25/ WDW Forever)
  • A Whole New World (from Aladdin)
  • Exit Music Medley (from Disney’s On The Record cast recording)

Lately, Buzz and I have been putting together some music for the trip to Disney. The car that we’ll be taking doesn’t have a working CD player but does have a tape player, so we’re going to be going old school and making a mix tape for the trip. We wanted to include music that represents a lot of the places, attractions, restaurants and other things we hope to do or see on this trip to sort of create a soundtrack for the trip. All of these songs come from either our own CD collection (which has a lot of Disney music, no surprise) or itunes. There are also a few songs from Walt Disney World Forever CDs that we made in the parks. These were kiosks in the parks where you could pick various musical tracks including music from Disney attractions, shows, parades, and atmosphere loops and they burn you a personalized CD with songs you selected. I wish they still had this; I would have loved to have made more of these. I’m pretty happy with how the mix tape has turned out. Can’t wait to hear it as we drive to WDW.

Here are the tracks:
  • A Spoon Full Of Sugar (from Harry Connick, Jr.’s Songs I Heard album)
  • Under the Sea (from Mannheim Steamroller Meets The Mouse album)
  • I’ve Got No Strings (from Pinocchio)
  • Oasis Garden Theme (Disney’s Animal Kingdom area music/ WDW Forever)
  • Call Me, Beep Me (from Kim Possible)
  • Run, Llama, Run (from The Emperor’s New Groove)
  • Oogie Boogie Song (from The Nightmare Before Christmas)
  • I Already Have A Husband (Adventureland and Disney’s Animal Kingdom area music/ Balafon Marimba Ensemble album)
  • Topsy Turvy (from The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
  • Minnie’s Yoo-Hoo (Disney’s Animal Kingdom area music/ WDW Forever)
  • Rainbow Connection (from The Muppet Movie)
  • Define Dancing (instrumental from WALL-E)
  • Ev'rybody Wants To Be A Cat (from Disney’s On The Record cast recording)
  • The Spirit of Adventure (from Up)
  • I Just Can’t Wait To Be King (from The Lion King)
  • EPCOT Entrance Medley (EPCOT area music/ Walt Disney World Official Album)
  • Heffalumps and Woozles (from Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day)
  • End Creditouille (instrumental from Ratatouille)
  • Welcome (from Brother Bear)
  • Turkey in the Straw (from Steamboat Willie)
  • Love Is A Song (from Bambi)
  • McQueen and Sally (instrumental from Cars)
  • Suite of Dreams: Adventure (from Disney’s Magic in the Streets album)
  • Fronds Like These (instrumental from Finding Nemo)
  • The Bare Necessities (from Kerry Butler’s Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust album)
  • Beauty and the Bees (from It’s Tough To Be A Bug/ WDW Official Album)
  • International Fantasy (from EPCOT's Illuminations 25/ WDW Forever)
  • A Whole New World (from Aladdin)
  • Exit Music Medley (from Disney’s On The Record cast recording)

You mean you still own something that records to cassette? :rotfl2: Those songs all sound great.

Those are some great songs. Half of them I wouldn't even think to put on a mix but they sound really great.

You mean you still own something that records to cassette? :rotfl2: Those songs all sound great.

Yep. It's 15 years old and keeps chugging along. Making mix tapes is pretty much the only thing that it's still used for.

Those are some great songs. Half of them I wouldn't even think to put on a mix but they sound really great.

Thanks. I was hoping that it would be an interesting blend of songs that you would expect and songs you might not along with being a blend of songs from the parks and songs from the movies. All in all, I think it really does combine to give a nice soundtrack to what we hope the trip will be.

Well, I guess the pre-trip report for August is over since we’ve checked-in to Riverside. Actually, it was only online check-in (we’ll see if this works better than the old way; this is all new to us), but seriously, this does look like a good time to wrap up . We pretty much have all the planning done and only have a few things left to do like packing which aren’t incredibly exciting to write about.

I do want to mention that we have bought our tickets since I haven’t said anything about it in the pre-trip. We have 4 Day Play passes so we’ll be able to use two days for this trip and have two left for December. We’re not getting any park hoppers or other add-ons, but we know that we won’t really be needing them for this trip and likely won’t for December. Looks like we’re set!

If anything drastic or exciting happens, I’ll be sure to post again, but otherwise, this is it until I’m back from Disney. Here’s hoping for a great trip! Thanks for reading everyone, and I hope you’ll come back to read the trip report.

Have a great trip -can't believe how quickly it's come round! Have fun! :woohoo::yay:

Oh just remembered, I heard on the Disney Brit Podcast that the Tomorrowland Noodle Station is opening over the summer, so that could be an option for you and Buzz!

Can't wait for your TR! popcorn::

Di x

Have a great trip!

Thank you. :goodvibes

Have a great trip -can't believe how quickly it's come round! Have fun! :woohoo::yay:

Oh just remembered, I heard on the Disney Brit Podcast that the Tomorrowland Noodle Station is opening over the summer, so that could be an option for you and Buzz!

Can't wait for your TR! popcorn::

Di x

Thanks Di. I can hardly believe we'll be leaving soon either. :banana:

Thanks for the tip on the Noodle Station. I looked it up and it looks like it's closing on August 8 so it doesn't look like a viable option for Buzz and me since our trip to MK isn't until October. If it turns out it opens again by then, we can check it out as an option though.

I’m back from the first trip! :wave2: It was so great, and I can’t wait to share the report with you all. First of all, I’ve picked a name for the August portion of the report- “Days of Discovery”. I think it will be a good fit for the tone of the trip, and hopefully by the end I think you’ll see why. I’ll get started on getting it up as soon as I can, but I thought I’d at least post a little preview of what you can expect to read about and see photos of:

riverside-300.jpg

A three night stay at Port Orleans Riverside

tigertree-300.jpg

Visits to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, Downtown Disney and Port Orleans French Quarter

kimpossible-300.jpg

Our first missions with Kim Possible’s World Showcase Adventure and other new experiences

bongos-300.jpg

Dining at restaurants like Bongo’s Cuban Cafe, Yak and Yeti, and Chefs de France

mickey-300.jpg

Characters, entertainment and more!

Next Chapter: Arrival at Port Orleans Riverside!

Welcome Home!

I can't wait to hear all about your trip, sounds like it was a good one. Days of Discovery is a very intriguing title! :goodvibes

Hi Meeko!

Welcome back! Glad you had a great trip - can't wait to hear all about it! :woohoo: Hope you got lots of photos of POR! :thumbsup2

Di x

What a tease for the TR! I can't wait to hear all about your trip. I really can't wait to hear how the Kim Possible thing works. Welcome back to reality.

Welcome Home!

I can't wait to hear all about your trip, sounds like it was a good one. Days of Discovery is a very intriguing title! :goodvibes

Thanks LL. Since EPCOT and Animal Kingdom are so much about discovery and exploration, "Days of Discovery" seemed like such a natural title. Plus, we made a few little discoveries of our own in the parks which will be revealed throughout the report.

Hi Meeko!

Welcome back! Glad you had a great trip - can't wait to hear all about it! :woohoo: Hope you got lots of photos of POR! :thumbsup2

Di x

Thanks Di. The first installment of the report (which hopefully will be up in the next few days) will be all photos from Riverside and there will be more to follow. Hopefully they'll be able to give you a good taste of the resort. :)

What a tease for the TR! I can't wait to hear all about your trip. I really can't wait to hear how the Kim Possible thing works. Welcome back to reality.

Sorry for the tease, but I did want to get a little something up to start the report. Kim Possible will play a big part in our day at EPCOT, so I'll be sure to include plenty of info on it (as spoiler free as possible, of course).

Without any further ado, let’s get this August report started!

riversideentrance-600.jpg

Welcome to Port Orleans Riverside!

riversidesign-600.jpg

We arrive at the resort in the early afternoon, which is actually somewhat of a departure for us. For most of our family trips in the past few years we have arrived at the resort early in the morning and head straight to a park. This time around, we decided to arrive a little later and spend the first day relaxing, enjoying the resort and visiting Downtown Disney.

riversidelobbychan-600.jpg

Shortly after arriving, we head to the lobby to check in. We found the window for online check-in (which was a little hidden and not in the direction that a sign in the lobby had pointed us to) and received our room keys and information packet. I really liked how online check-in worked- very quick and convenient. I’m sure it would have taken a little longer if we had arrived at the same time as a Magical Express bus, but since there weren’t many people checking in at that time, we got taken care of in no time!

riversidemill-600.jpg

Our rooms were ready (adjoining as requested), but we were all pretty hungry and headed to the Riverside Mill food court to get some lunch first. I knew we didn’t have any plans for going to any Italian restaurants this trip, so I decided to start my Disney trip with some pizza. I love the personal pizzas the quick service places have at Disney (well, most of them; Pizzafari at the Animal Kingdom was the only one I can remember not being thrilled with). With some food in our system, we went off to find our rooms.

acadianfountain-600.jpg

We were in the Magnolia Bend area of Riverside where all the mansions are. Our mansion was Acadian House, which wasn’t far from a bridge to the pool area and the main building. It was also near a small pool area and has a bus stop fairly close by, neither of which we really used this trip.

riversideroom1-600.jpg

After three trips in a row at Pop Century, the rooms here felt a good bit bigger than I had remembered. It also has a refrigerator which I don’t remember Pop having. I took a few photos of Buzz and my room when we arrived.

riversideroom2-600.jpg

riversideroom3-600.jpg

We even had a Mickey made of towels waiting for us. Unfortunately Mickey didn’t last very long. I tried moving it later that night and it fell apart. Good thing we got pictures early!

riversideroom4-600.jpg

The print on the wall was titled something like “Celebrating Mardi Gras on the Mark Twain” Based on the title and photographs, I’m pretty sure that it’s a painting of the riverboat at Disneyland. I would love to know more about the painting- whether it was sold or part of concept artwork for something- but I can’t seem to find anything about it online yet.

No sooner had I gotten the last bag into the room than I hear thunder and grey clouds begin rolling in. We had planned to hit the main pool on Ol’ Man Island that afternoon, and the rest of the family was already getting ready to head over there. I told everyone it looked like it was about to rain, but we all got ready anyway. We started walking over there and, not surprisingly, it began to rain. We changed plans, headed back to the room and decided to make some slushies in the room (Mom and Dad had brought a blender with them for just such an occasion) and wait out the rain. Once the weather was looking clear we tried again to head to the pool.

This time we were a little more successful. We managed to get in a bit of a swim. After a while though, it began to thunder again, and the lifeguards had everyone clear the pool. We headed back to our rooms, got cleaned up and waited to see if the rain would let up. Buzz and I watched the new “Must Sees with Stacy” than replaced the “Top 7” show. It’s a bit shorter than the “Top 7” and got old fairly quickly. We switched to the channel that gives all the park hours and info on it. Love the music on that! After a while I began to get a little cabin fever and was really wanting to go out exploring Disney! Once the weather looked like it might start clearing up, Buzz and I headed over to the lobby to look around a bit.

oldmanisland1-600.jpg

Along the way, I got some shots of the pool on Ol’ Man Island closed and devoid of people.

olmanisland2-600.jpg

Once inside, I go ahead and get my first and only souvenir of the trip- a pressed penny. In December, I started collecting the “Walt Disney’s Princes” pressed pennies. I found Prince Charming and the Beast at Magic Kingdom last year and ended up finding Snow White’s Prince near the Riverside Mill. Apparently, there was supposed to be a John Smith penny at the Animal Kingdom, but I never found it, so just Snow White’s Prince will have to do for this trip. Since it’s the Princesses that always get all of the attention, I thought it was cool that they at least gave the Princes their own pressed penny collection.

riversidelobby-600.jpg

A few more photos of the lobby since I didn’t get than many when we were checking in.

riversidelobbtsign-600.jpg

A few hidden Mickeys just to remind you that you’re at Disney World.

Next chapter: Will the weather scuttle our boat ride to Downtown Disney?

I'm on :cloud9: looking at all of these Riverside pictures! The lobby is so beautiful. In fact, I have a picture of the lobby on my desktop at work right now. I had someone ask me if it was my house. :rotfl: Don't I wish!

Slushies while waiting out the room sounds like a wonderful idea!

The pictures of the pool are very pretty. It looks much more lush out there then the pictures I have seen.

I'm on :cloud9: looking at all of these Riverside pictures! The lobby is so beautiful. In fact, I have a picture of the lobby on my desktop at work right now. I had someone ask me if it was my house. :rotfl: Don't I wish!

Slushies while waiting out the room sounds like a wonderful idea!

The pictures of the pool are very pretty. It looks much more lush out there then the pictures I have seen.

That would be some house! :laughing:

The slushies were a good idea. Mom gets all the credit for that one.

Yep, the pool area is pretty lush. There's lots of of greenery and a giant oak tree (you can see it in the second photo). It's really great- one of my favorite pools at Disney, if not my all-time favorite, our of all the ones that I've been to.

Wonderful start to the report. Gorgeous photos.

Thanks Jenn. I think the photos only get better from here. I was having a rough time fighting the weather and the lighting that day to get some good shots. I think I had better luck later when we had some prettier days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter