3 Families doin' a Surf & Turf Trip! AKL CL & Dream...Good-Byes

great updates!:surfweb: It almost looked like you were in a hurricane with the rain, minus the boat tipping!:lmao:

So, regarding the hot tub, we spent a lot of time in there (mainly the kids one by the Mickey pool) after our Castaway Cay day was cancelled due to the hurricane, packed with kids, really terrible. But we kept going back and I just had to ignore my microbiology class notes telling me NOT to go into that water! :scared1: I do love a hot tub, since I am always cold, so I pretend it's not gross, you should give it a try next time!:banana:

Great update! What time were up? Wow it was quiet, awesome time to explore? The hot tub spas were always packed with tons of kids and some adults we never got a chance to use one on our trip. Beautiful pictures!

Have a great time on your upcoming trip! If you do a TR for it I will be reading along :)

Great update! Beautiful ship photos! I am definitely going to try and get up really early one morning on our trip to watch the sunrise over MK! :goodvibes
I hope you guys have a wonderful birthday trip, Royal Room will be such a great surprise!! :goodvibes princess:

Love that the kids want to stay for a week and deluxe. :rotfl: Me too!!! I can't wait to hear about the royal room...so perfect for a princess' birthday celebration!

The ship really is gorgeous!! The pools look so small to me. I am not sure I would like being crowded in there... But I suppose there are a ton of other things to do on board. Someday i just may check it out!!!

Lovely photos! It really does look like you had the ship to yourself! I enjoy walking around in the quiet like that on my trips, and of course the camera never gets left behind :rotfl:

Love the update!! I'm an early riser too...I can't "waste" the time sleeping!! ;). I will definitely have to try the early morning photo session!!

Have a blast on your trip! Happy birthday to Faith!! Can't wait to hear about the royal room!!

Your pictures are just so lovely! I really do need to try to do an early morning tour by myself one morning. It just seems so nice and peaceful.

You're very welcome! Bill was just saying the other day that we should have tried Palo....it will be a definite on our next cruise. I'm going to be posting a few pics today of the restaurant. We did try to get a brunch ressie, but never could....always booked! Are you sticking with the late dining rotation?

I think as of right now we are going to stick with the late dining. In a couple of weekends, we are going visit my aunt and uncle who are coming on the cruise with us. We want to do some cruise talk/planning. If they're completely against the late dining, then I'll call DCL to get us waitlisted.

I was totally happy staying in values. I did find that the trip changes depending on where you're staying.

You're exactly right. We are barely going to be in the room, so I didn't see paying a deluxe price. I'm quite certain that my beloved monorail will be missed:sad:....but as Bill would tell me...."get over it."

There's a nice little path connecting the resorts or you can take a boat. From the map it looked like Riverside has a water area on an island in the middle of the resort. It looked pretty cool. Unfortunately it was raining and I wasn't in the mood to get wet. I can't remember which side the royal rooms are in.

When we looked at the forecasted temperature, it appears that it's going to be cool....probably no pool for us. And I have no idea what side our room is on :laughing: Can't believe I'm saying that! ...so not prepared.

Happy Packing, Pam! Not long now!!

great updates!:surfweb: It almost looked like you were in a hurricane with the rain, minus the boat tipping!:lmao:

Oh geez...did the picture bring back nightmares, for you?? Poor y'all! It's a good thing your family doesn't get seasick. I would have been stationed in the bathroom through the entire hurricane!...no lie!

So, regarding the hot tub, we spent a lot of time in there (mainly the kids one by the Mickey pool) after our Castaway Cay day was cancelled due to the hurricane, packed with kids, really terrible. But we kept going back and I just had to ignore my microbiology class notes telling me NOT to go into that water! :scared1: I do love a hot tub, since I am always cold, so I pretend it's not gross, you should give it a try next time!:banana:

I'm usually not easily grossed out...the adult hot tub really wasn't bad. It was the one by the Mickey pool. Way too many small kids jumping in and out like it was the main pool. Crazy, it was!

Great update! What time were up? Wow it was quiet, awesome time to explore? The hot tub spas were always packed with tons of kids and some adults we never got a chance to use one on our trip. Beautiful pictures!

Have a great time on your upcoming trip! If you do a TR for it I will be reading along :)

I think I was up around 6ish maybe....the sun was just coming up. Absolutely beautiful!! And as for the TR....already have my folders created on the computer. Now all I need to do is insert the pictures ;) the many, many pictures!

Are you all packed, yet??? I'm going to get mine done today, hopefully.

Great update! Beautiful ship photos! I am definitely going to try and get up really early one morning on our trip to watch the sunrise over MK! :goodvibes
I hope you guys have a wonderful birthday trip, Royal Room will be such a great surprise!! :goodvibes princess:

Thanks! The kids are beyond excited...and me, too;) Even Bill has been talking about the trip. He's actually been on the DisBoards looking at all the New Fantasy Land stuff.

Love that the kids want to stay for a week and deluxe. :rotfl: Me too!!! I can't wait to hear about the royal room...so perfect for a princess' birthday celebration!

The ship really is gorgeous!! The pools look so small to me. I am not sure I would like being crowded in there... But I suppose there are a ton of other things to do on board. Someday i just may check it out!!!

You're right...the pool was really small. And it became even smaller when the masses of children descended upon it! Thank goodness my children can swim
...I didn't feel like I had to run after them like some of the other poor parents with tiny children. I would have gone mad :laughing:

Lovely photos! It really does look like you had the ship to yourself! I enjoy walking around in the quiet like that on my trips, and of course the camera never gets left behind :rotfl:

Can't imagine a trip without my camera!! It just wouldn't be a trip at all!! It's funny to watch my DBIL when the camera comes out....he's not use to our millions of pictures. I know he got irriated with us :laughing: My children don't know any other way. You know it's bad when the kids say..."mom, did you get a picture of our food? Can we eat now??" :rolleyes1

What a beautiful ship....I am getting so excited for our first time!!:goodvibes

I bet your girls will absolutely love it!! Especially the kid's club!!! Are yall doing early or late dining?

Love the update!! I'm an early riser too...I can't "waste" the time sleeping!! ;). I will definitely have to try the early morning photo session!!

Have a blast on your trip! Happy birthday to Faith!! Can't wait to hear about the royal room!!

Thanks a million! And you sound just like Bill....he doesn't like to "waste time sleeping" either :laughing: It's a good thing, I guess. My travel plans wouldn't exactly work with a "late riser".

Your pictures are just so lovely! I really do need to try to do an early morning tour by myself one morning. It just seems so nice and peaceful.

You do! It's therapeutic, and a great way to start the day.

I think as of right now we are going to stick with the late dining. In a couple of weekends, we are going visit my aunt and uncle who are coming on the cruise with us. We want to do some cruise talk/planning. If they're completely against the late dining, then I'll call DCL to get us waitlisted.

:thumbsup2 Either way, it will be fine....seriously.

I am partially through your TR, late to the report, but I am really enjoying it. You have some great pictures and stories about the AKL. It might take some time, but I will make it through your report.
I also wanted to give you some tips on POR. My favorite moderate. I have not stayed in the royal rooms, they look so pretty, I'm sure Faith will love it. If you are not too tired when you check in on Friday night, stop in the bar area. Bob should be playing, he is so much fun, a family friendly show for sure. We have been staying in some of the DVC properties on our most recent vacations, so we have not been staying at POR as frequently, but we always drive over to watch Bob play. :dance3: It might be a good way for your kids to burn off some energy after being in the car for a few hours.:dance3:
The boat ride to DTD is so nice, but don't make the mistake of taking the bus back to the resort. The bus stops so many times as it makes it's way through DTD. It really can be a long ride, so make sure you wait for the boat to take you back. The grounds are so pretty, if you have time try to take a walk over to the alligator bayou side too.
Have fun, can't wait to see your pictures.

Love all of the beautiful photos of the ship. I swear yours are better and more than the ones on Disney's website!

Can't wait to hear all about Faith's surprise birthday trip! The Royal Rooms were on my radar for a while-until DH got involved. :upsidedow. We LOVED POFQ. Never did make it over to Riverside, but I can't imagine that it's not just as lovely. Have a great time!

I am partially through your TR, late to the report, but I am really enjoying it. You have some great pictures and stories about the AKL. It might take some time, but I will make it through your report.

Thanks a million! We had a blast at AKL....great resort with tons to do:thumbsup2

I also wanted to give you some tips on POR. My favorite moderate. I have not stayed in the royal rooms, they look so pretty, I'm sure Faith will love it. If you are not too tired when you check in on Friday night, stop in the bar area. Bob should be playing, he is so much fun, a family friendly show for sure. We have been staying in some of the DVC properties on our most recent vacations, so we have not been staying at POR as frequently, but we always drive over to watch Bob play. :dance3: It might be a good way for your kids to burn off some energy after being in the car for a few hours.:dance3:

That sounds like a plan for sure!!! We should be arriving around 8ish...I'm guessing he'll still be playing?? I think the kids will enjoy...I'll have Bill hop on the DisBoards tonight and check it out ;)

The boat ride to DTD is so nice, but don't make the mistake of taking the bus back to the resort. The bus stops so many times as it makes it's way through DTD. It really can be a long ride, so make sure you wait for the boat to take you back. The grounds are so pretty, if you have time try to take a walk over to the alligator bayou side too.
Have fun, can't wait to see your pictures.

The boat is a definite:thumbsup2 I'm looking forward to the scenic ride. Thanks for the tip about the bus....that was an option for us. But not now :laughing: I have a feeling that I will be up at the crack of dawn to get some photographs. I'll make my way over to Alligator Bayou for sure. Can't wait to check out this resort.

Thanks so much for all of the information!!

Love all of the beautiful photos of the ship. I swear yours are better and more than the ones on Disney's website!

Can't wait to hear all about Faith's surprise birthday trip! The Royal Rooms were on my radar for a while-until DH got involved. :upsidedow. We LOVED POFQ. Never did make it over to Riverside, but I can't imagine that it's not just as lovely. Have a great time!

The kids are beyond excited, and they don't know where we are staying. Hopefully the boys won't be too disappointed :laughing: We're going over to the French Quarters on Sunday morning for breakfast...going to meet up with another Diser (SueM) Looking forward to checking out that resort, too.

You're exactly right. We are barely going to be in the room, so I didn't see paying a deluxe price. I'm quite certain that my beloved monorail will be missed:sad:....but as Bill would tell me...."get over it."

Sounds like my DH :rotfl: "Be happy we are going to Disney" And as much as HRH and crew love the snack room..we do not eat anything there :upsidedow I've been given a pretty low budget for our vacation...which means ch-ch-changes afoot...so I have to be smart (which is so darn hard) Royal Room will ROCK!!! No worries Heather!!!!

And I :rotfl: at taking the kiddos to breakfast alone. I took the girls to Disney alone, and as awesome as it was...I had many momoents that were just :faint:

Just popping in to say I hope you have a wonderful weekend trip!! I bet Faith will be so excited!:cool1:

Sounds like my DH :rotfl: "Be happy we are going to Disney" And as much as HRH and crew love the snack room..we do not eat anything there :upsidedow I've been given a pretty low budget for our vacation...which means ch-ch-changes afoot...so I have to be smart (which is so darn hard) Royal Room will ROCK!!! No worries Heather!!!!

And I :rotfl: at taking the kiddos to breakfast alone. I took the girls to Disney alone, and as awesome as it was...I had many momoents that were just :faint:

Nice signature...."Trip of Many Changes"....fits you perfect!! :thumbsup2

Just popping in to say I hope you have a wonderful weekend trip!! I bet Faith will be so excited!:cool1:

Thanks a million!! :goodvibes I'm half-way packed...kind of :laughing: Things have been crazy. Faith was sick last weekend, and Jesse is getting over strep! Let's hope it stops there...

Have a fabulous trip! Can't wait to hear all about it :) Happy Birthday to Faith!

Thanks, Pam! You, too!!! I'm guessing you're packed and ready to go :teeth: Looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

Nice signature...."Trip of Many Changes"....fits you perfect!! :thumbsup2

Thanks a million!! :goodvibes I'm half-way packed...kind of :laughing: Things have been crazy. Faith was sick last weekend, and Jesse is getting over strep! Let's hope it stops there...

Oh Boy, three out of the five of us have strep too!! Scary.:crazy2: Pixie dust sent that you all stay healthy!pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Oh Boy, three out of the five of us have strep too!! Scary.:crazy2: Pixie dust sent that you all stay healthy!pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I'll take all the pixiedust: I can get :laughing: Faith had the dreaded stomach bug, but fortunately no one else got it....then this stuff with Jesse. Who knows?! You should see the medicine that I have packed!!

Day 8
Touring the Dream

While I enjoyed my morning with the kiddos, Bill, Pop, Ma Hopie and Sean embarked on a tour of the ship. Bill and Pop both give it their stamp of approval!!...well worth the time!

They met in the Meridan Lounge…and if you remember, it sits between Palo and Remy.

DSC_6680_zps59e0a089.jpg

The tour guide was….

DSC_6683_zps36f9b2d5.jpg

She gets a thumbs up….actually 2 thumbs up! They said she was terrific!:thumbsup2

First stop was Palo….

DSC_6685_zpsd1291793.jpg

DSC_6688_zps4ace64a0.jpg

DSC_6689_zps7a174233.jpg

I’ve probably said this a hundred times, but I’m soooooo disappointed that we didn’t try this place!! What was I thinking??!!

DSC_6690_zpsc4a74e27.jpg

DSC_6691_zps889115c1.jpg

They were setting up for the Brunch …not sure what time it starts, but if I remember correctly, Palo is open for this on the day out at sea.

DSC_6692_zps2f1a74f5.jpg

This food looks WONDERFUL!!! What was I thinking????? (sorry...already said that)

DSC_6694_zpsb0bee71d.jpg

DSC_6695_zps17a2b574.jpg

DSC_6696_zps4574f79a.jpg

Next stop….

DSC_6677_zpsa35ba9e9.jpg

DSC_6671_zps63e3f8e4.jpg

If you’re a wine connoisseur, then you might want to take a quick peek inside Remy…

DSC_6673_zpsba4311f3.jpg

I wish that I could remember more specific details about each restaurant, but my memory is fading…not to mention the night I decide to complete this installment, I’m by myself:confused:….everyone else is out of town…the people that actually went on the tour!

Anyway…I do remember that in Remy, there are “Hidden Remys”….kinda like the “Hidden Mickey’s”.

DSC_6672_zpsad4b9870.jpg

DSC_6709_zpsf23c71df.jpg

This really is one gorgeous restaurant…well worth a visit.

DSC_6710_zpse0ed398b.jpg

Of course things were not set up, yet…Remy is only open for dinner (I think...)

DSC_6705_zpsd64f3b48.jpg

This room is almost like a private dining area if you are with a semi-large group. Since we had 6 for dinner, mom requested this area for us….more on the experience later...

DSC_6704_zps638071ae.jpg

I have no idea where this is located….somewhere between Remy and Pink. Just thought this chandelier was way cool!

DSC_6711_zps1f98f15b.jpg

Notice Sean relaxing at Pink….and notice the number of people on the tour….very few. Another excellent reason to give it a try.

DSC_6712_zps58166da9.jpg

Ok…so I had to call Bill to ask about this picture. I could not remember why I uploaded it. I knew it was a “Hidden something”….and it was…a “Hidden Dumbo” at Pink in some sort of light.

DSC_6714_zpsf834c5e4.jpg

They ended the tour out on one of the decks….and by the way…this was just a few highlights of the experience. Bill says the information was really quite interesting, and it was info that you wouldn't normally read about. Always nice to be able to chat with a cast member one-on-one.

Up next….a little lunch then it’s Pirate’s Night!

The tour sounds great! I love all of the photos (now I'm the one repeating myself ;))

I guess that when we finally bite the bullet and book a cruise I'll have to be sure to secure a Palo reservation.

The hidden Remys are great. What an awesome touch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter