• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2nd cruise - Preparing less?

southlake

Mouseketeer
Our 2nd DCL cruise is in 2 weeks. I think because we went on a DCL cruise last cruise, and we kind of already know what to expect, I feel like I am preparing less. A lot less.

Like I'm reusing most of the door magnets I made last year, so I only had to make a couple this year. I already have our plates packed that I am going to get signed. We already have our passports. I've booked our excursions and other activities. I feel like there's nothing left for me to do but pack. And now I'm starting to feel nervous that I'm missing something or should be doing more to prepare. It still doesn't almost seem real that it's in 2 wks. Any repeat cruisers feel like this?

I think we are on the same sailing as you. We are reusing some of our magnets from the last cruise also. I did make some new ones though. I have already booked our excursions, started packing, made FE gifts yesterday like a wild woman (still have to finish). I feel like I still have a lot to do. I need to get most of it done this coming week, the trip will be here before we know it.

We leave on Weds for our cruise on next Saturday and I'm with you … I'm doing a lot less but also I am finding that I am stressing a lot less for DCL #2. My kids are a bit older, so I'm not worried about figuring out stuff to occupy them bc they can do that on their own. Doing less for pirate night b/c at 11 and 13 they don't want to do the full costume/make up thing. I know what we want to do and where we want to go in our ports but haven't booked anything really since we want to have a more relaxed trip than last time. I think no matter what, the trips will be awesome! Enjoy relaxing a bit ….

Our 2nd DCL cruise is in 2 weeks. I think because we went on a DCL cruise last cruise, and we kind of already know what to expect, I feel like I am preparing less. A lot less.

Like I'm reusing most of the door magnets I made last year, so I only had to make a couple this year. I already have our plates packed that I am going to get signed. We already have our passports. I've booked our excursions and other activities. I feel like there's nothing left for me to do but pack. And now I'm starting to feel nervous that I'm missing something or should be doing more to prepare. It still doesn't almost seem real that it's in 2 wks. Any repeat cruisers feel like this?

You are preparing a lot less. The first cruise preparation was so hectic because everything was an unknown, you could ask for advice here, but until you've been on a cruise, you still don't know what to really expect, so you tried to prepare for every contingency. Now, you know what to expect so only need to prepare for those situations, much easier!

I prepare less and less the more Disney Cruises I go on with the exception of immediately checking in to confirm my Palo/Remy reservations and port adventures. My first cruise was a transatlantic and I packed so much stuff and most of it I didn't use. I like to think I have become more of an expert cruiser/traveller since then and I pack less and less each time. With my upcoming transatlantic cruise I plan on only having a carry on. I've done it before for a 7 day cruise the trick is making it work for nearly a month.

Don't leave your passports home like we did on our third cruise. This was right after 4 days at the parks during xmas time.

We prepped so much for WDW that the cruise was an afterthought. On our way to Miami the night before departure we realized we had left our passports home.

Thanks to my BIL and United, we were able to get them sent on the first flight in the morning from EWR after my BIL had dropped them off. Got them at around 11am and by 12:30 we were having lunch at Cabanas.

So pack your passports!

We definitely prepare less and less with each cruise. Our next one is 4 weeks away and I thought I better get my packing list started and it took me a total of about 10 mins!

Our first cruise we had 4 large suitcases with numerous shoes, clothes, and all the necessary stuff we were told we needed. Ended up only using maybe a quarter of what we packed and a lot of things were totally unnecessary (duct tape anyone?)

We now have our packing list down to 1/2 page and can get by on 2 small suitcases for 10 days (includes parks and cruise).

The only thing I prepare for is booking Palo. Excursions I wait until we board and I never get a cabana because I don't think they are worth the cost!

How about practicing some karoake songs, unless you're already ready with that?

There were a few younger girls who clearly had their Frozen duet worked out ahead of time (it was great!) Everybody else though - it looked like they hadn't thought about this until they were already halfway through their song on stage (and a few burst into tears when the music left them behind!!!)

Another classic moment were 4 siblings, 2 microphones, and one pulled the microphone away from the sister (another burst-into-tears-onstage moment.) Oh I also saw a fight get picked between two young girls who were mad at each other for "singing my song". Wow. I'm not a parent, and maybe that's why I was surprised that there was so much drama and crying on stage, but it seemed to me everyone knowing what song they'd like to sing and maybe doing a few practices can't hurt...

We left our magnets on our stateroom door doh! So will need to redo ours. We are taking the kids this time so will be a lot more planning for us :)

Someone once posted about packing for a cruise.... Pack half of what you think you need, then leave half of that at home! I really wish I could stick by this but some how I just can't!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter