• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2016 Deluxe Dining -- No Appetizers?

If people willingly pay hundreds or thousands of dollars without easily checking what they are paying for, they deserve to get blindsided by the change. I think most people will check the details before buying, and those who don't only have themselves to blame. Just like when the second snack was removed from the QSDP. At least with that, they didn't raise the price at all that year, but it still was less value for the money.
Ouch! Be nice! Wow..people are so mean.

From a table turning perspective, I get this. But all it will do is encourage people to book the standard DP since it never included apps anyway.

We always book the deluxe plan. The regular dining plan wouldn't work for us as we usually do a table service meal for lunch and a signature restaurant for dinner. For us, we would just skip the dining plan altogether moving forward.

Ouch! Be nice! Wow..people are so mean.
Sorry for the harshness (mostly done in jest), but that was in response to the previous post about the poor people who were going to be messed up for several months over this change. I'm actually quite nice. Lol! I just can't feel sorry for people who blow money without knowing what they are getting, that's all. Lol

Actually in the beginning the basic DDP did include an appetizer and dessert - and even tip. That increased the adoption of the plan. Once people were hooked, they removed those items.

I'm wondering if they are doing the same now with the Deluxe Plan.

From a table turning perspective, I get this. But all it will do is encourage people to book the standard DP since it never included apps anyway.

Sorry for the harshness (mostly done in jest), but that was in response to the previous post about the poor people who were going to be messed up for several months over this change. I'm actually quite nice. Lol! I just can't feel sorry for people who blow money without knowing what they are getting, that's all. Lol

But there are people who never visit this website or any other Disney website except for the official one to book their package. Let's say they've always taken the DxDDP because it's the way they like to vacation. A change like this would never cross their minds. They simply book their package like they always do. The brochure "looks" the same, so why would they even read it. They've done this many times before. I rarely look at a WDW map anymore; I know my way around. I think there are a lot of people who will buy the plan with no idea of this major change, and Disney will hear from them. Unfortunately for them, there will be no recourse.

But there are people who never visit this website or any other Disney website except for the official one to book their package. Let's say they've always taken the DxDDP because it's the way they like to vacation. A change like this would never cross their minds. They simply book their package like they always do. The brochure "looks" the same, so why would they even read it. They've done this many times before. I rarely look at a WDW map anymore; I know my way around. I think there are a lot of people who will buy the plan with no idea of this major change, and Disney will hear from them. Unfortunately for them, there will be no recourse.
I suppose so, but dining plans change their prices and even their entitlements from time to time. Packages for 2016 were released yesterday, along with the news of the dining plan changes. So many changes overall occur when planning a Disney vacation. If people don't do their research before spending the money, that's really no one's fault but their own. Yes, it is disappointing that the apps have been removed, but I don't agree that it will mess people up for nine months or whatever was said. Which is what my response was in reference to. I'm still lamenting over the removal of the 2nd snack on the QSDP. Sooo many Rice Krispie treats I could have had...total bummer! Lol

And @12disneybee, I don't even use that word you are talking about. I actually don't swear at all. Lol! Again, sorry if my post sounded harsh. :flower3:

I think the difference between when DDP lost the app (nd included tip) and loosing the app on DxDDP is that you can still save money on the DDP (not as much, naturally), but it is going to be difficult to do so with the removal of the apps on DxDDP. Or at least, it will not be worth all the dining planning I would have to do to make it work. I eat with carefree abandon on vacation, but to avoid doing so when home, it is best I avoid too much menu browsing!

Reactions: lwc
I suppose so, but dining plans change their prices and even their entitlements from time to time. Packages for 2016 were released yesterday, along with the news of the dining plan changes. So many changes overall occur when planning a Disney vacation. If people don't do their research before spending the money, that's really no one's fault but their own. Yes, it is disappointing that the apps have been removed, but I don't agree that it will mess people up for nine months or whatever was said. Which is what my response was in reference to. I'm still lamenting over the removal of the 2nd snack on the QSDP. Sooo many Rice Krispie treats I could have had...total bummer! Lol

And @12disneybee, I don't even use that word you are talking about. I actually don't swear at all. Lol! Again, sorry if my post sounded harsh. :flower3:

Maybe not over there, but I can't be the only UK person to be affected by this. The packages have been out here in the UK since April, and if it wasn't for the fact that for the first time ever we were booking our flights separately to our hotel and wanted to wait for flight confirmation before finalising our Disney stay plans then we would have already had the DxDP upgrade tagged onto ours. There was no indication of any changes to the DPs when we booked, and the first I heard was on here a couple of days ago, which was a day after I had asked our TA to upgrade our DP to DxDP. I have now asked her to put the upgrade on hold until she has the full info and have asked her for clarification. I am assuming Disney would have allowed us to remove the DP upgrade if we had already added it, but it does not change the fact we booked a 2 week trip at a Deluxe hotel intending to do the DxDP and we now have to think about the changes. It's not the end of the world of course, and it will simply mean an adjustment to the way we go about our stay, but I have to say we feel really disappointed about it as it will mean paying more money out to do the holiday in the way we usually do - character breakfast most mornings and Signature (with appetisers) most nights.

It appears though that the 2016 Premium and Platinum packages still include the Appetizer.

Looks like they are trying to separate those packages away from the DxDP even more

I just noticed that the Dreams Unlimited travel agency page lists the 2016 Deluxe Dining Plan as including the appetizer. I could definitely see how people could book the deluxe plan and be surprised once they get there next year.

Which helps my point of view. The travel agencies aren't even reading the fine print, but assuming the plan is the same as always. If I have a travel agent planning my trip, they are professionals and I expect them to know the ends and outs. But again, the customer will have no recourse except to use a different travel agent the next time.

Just spoke with someone via chat this morning. I was so worried since I booked the deluxe dining plan for my January vacation. I hope he's right!

uPBs0AH.jpg

Maybe not over there, but I can't be the only UK person to be affected by this. The packages have been out here in the UK since April, and if it wasn't for the fact that for the first time ever we were booking our flights separately to our hotel and wanted to wait for flight confirmation before finalising our Disney stay plans then we would have already had the DxDP upgrade tagged onto ours. There was no indication of any changes to the DPs when we booked, and the first I heard was on here a couple of days ago, which was a day after I had asked our TA to upgrade our DP to DxDP. I have now asked her to put the upgrade on hold until she has the full info and have asked her for clarification. I am assuming Disney would have allowed us to remove the DP upgrade if we had already added it, but it does not change the fact we booked a 2 week trip at a Deluxe hotel intending to do the DxDP and we now have to think about the changes. It's not the end of the world of course, and it will simply mean an adjustment to the way we go about our stay, but I have to say we feel really disappointed about it as it will mean paying more money out to do the holiday in the way we usually do - character breakfast most mornings and Signature (with appetisers) most nights.
As far as I know, when they removed the 2nd snack from the QSDP, it did not include the previously made UK bookings for that year. So you should be fine.

Just spoke with someone via chat this morning. I was so worried since I booked the deluxe dining plan for my January vacation. I hope he's right!

uPBs0AH.jpg
Chat people give out incorrect info often. Hopefully he is right, but don't get your hopes up. Lol! And his "by the end of the year" line has me doubting him. How hard is it to grow the word appetizer on a page? It sounds like he is referring to the included restaurants, which can take several months to sort out. I don't buy any of the plans, but I'm watching with anticipation like everyone else. Lol

As far as I know, when they removed the 2nd snack from the QSDP, it did not include the previously made UK bookings for that year. So you should be fine.
I don't know about that. When they removed the extra snack credit, they just had to add on for UK bookings. But this is not a credit, but something included with a credit. I don't think there will be any way to differentiate between UK bookings and everyone else.

IF it is included for UK and not US, that is going to be a hot mess at the point of usage (aka ind servers in ind restaurants)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter