• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2015 Magical, Magnificent, Mighty May WISH challenge! All are welcome!

Hey all! Just a fly-by to say hello and happy Saturday! I'm in my grungy clothes, heading outside for yard work. It is a perfect day for it.... bright and sunny and breezy, but not hot (51° F). I plan to earn lots of activity PPV today with my cutting, hoeing, hauling, digging, etc!

Have a wonderful day! I'll try to pop on tonight!..............P

I'm home from vacation settling in still though. I lost while on vacation. WOOHOO!!! SOOOOO very close to my first mini goal. Will work on becoming more active here while I work my routine back up.

Evening all! Two long dirty hard work days out in the yard....DONE! I"m filthy and so tired.... but feel great about how much we accomplished!

Hope you all are well! I'll be posting a QOTD tomorrow (despite the holiday here in the U.S.) so be here in the morning!

BTW, made my Red, White, and Green chicken chili for dinner (shameless plug for the recipe over on the recipe thread.....
http://www.disboards.com/threads/wish-away-the-pounds-healthy-recipe-thread-new-title.2447512/page-4 post 79).... had to make a few substitutions since I was out of red bell peppers (substituted a jar of roasted red peppers) and salsa (subbed a can of stewed tomatoes and extra onions) and bulked it out a bit with some organic corn (no nasty GMOs) and a bowl of ripe diced avocado to use as desired..... YUMMMMMY in my very hungry tummy tonight!

Too bone weary to type any more! Gotta hit the shower...............P

Good morning and Happy Memorial Day to my U.S. friends!

Here is your QOTD for Monday, May 25, 2015:

In addition to Memorial Day, it is also NATIONAL BROWN-BAG IT DAY! How many of you pack a meal to take along every day (be it breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner)? What is your go-to brown bag meal? Do you change it up frequently or stick to a consistent meal? Do you think that packing a brown bag meal helps you stay on plan??

How many of you SHOULD be packing a meal, but just don't seem to find the time, energy, etc? Or you think you'll get bored? Or lunchtime is SOCIAL TIME at your office and you don't want to miss out? Do you think it hinders your weight loss/weight maintenance goals??

TALK ABOUT BROWN-BAG meals! What's great?? What's terrible? What helps? What hinders?? SHARE!

I'm off to run errands and take DS to the movies. I'll pop on tonight to say hello!...................P

I usually brown bag lunch...sometimes salad, sometimes sandwich, sometimes a Lean Cuisine. I also pack yogurt and fruit. I definitely eat less when I pack my own lunch then when I get something from the cafeteria or we order out. I try to limit cafeteria and order out to one day a week.

Pam, that was the question for me, wasn't it??? :rotfl:

I struggle with bringing my lunch with me. I should do it more often. I don't because I love the social aspect of lunch. I am lucky that some of my friends are also colleagues and it is nice to see them over lunch. And then there is also the networking aspect of lunch. You kind of need to show your face at lunch now and then in order that people don't forget you exist at my workplace.

My compromise is that I should bring my own lunch at least twice a week. This coming week I am set for that as I have a meal plan and went shopping for it on Saturday. And tomorrow is actually a bring my own lunch day.

As to any standards. I am afraid that I am not too good at being inventive. I also want something that can be prepared the evening before. If I have to do it int he morning, the chances are that it won't get done unless it is very easy. Two of my standards are: grilled chicken breast with potato salad (I usually add a can of carrots and peas to that and just one tablespoon of sour cream, so it is not heavy at all) and cheese sandwich with dark rye bread and low fat camembert or soft goat cheese with some cut up veggies (carrots, bell pepper, cucumber, whatever I can find in my fridge). This week I have a packet of multigrain pita bread open (was used for lunch yesterday and today, it is very delicious!) and I will certainly use that for one of the lunches, most likely fill it with low fat ham.

I know that eating only meals that I have made myself and am able to actually count points on very accurately really helps me. I find it so difficult to count points when I eat stuff I cannot put on a scale. I find it so hard to estimate portion sizes.

----

Hope you all did better this weekend than I did! I had a migraine attack yesterday and that induced a crazy snack attack. I am starting to realize that these two things are in correlation (at least sometimes). I tracked everything and I ate soooo much! :faint: And the worst thing is that while most of the stuff was not really bad food, it was neither food that I really enjoyed. I had planned of being good with my points and indulge in a piece of strawberry cake today as it is a holiday here in Germany as well (Whitsun Monday). But I really don't have enough points for that now after yesterday. And then today I was on call for my work and had to go in and that took longer than I thought and I had to have an additional snack to tide me over until lunch. So, I am points poor again before dinner...

So, with that I am better off and grill my chicken for tomorrow and get the potatoes boiling to make them into a salad! :thumbsup2

Hey all! Hope your day was delightful. The weather here started windy and cloudy, but by the time DS and I came out of our movie (Tomorrowland) it was bright and sunny and warm! I've put away the groceries I bought and my meal plan for the week is done. Tomorrow is an easy crockpot meal for the men and there is a container of leftover chili (see yesterday's post) for DH to have for lunch at least once this week. I bought a BIT of lunch meat (it is terribly overpriced and over chemically so I rarely buy it) for lunches and snacks as well and I think I'll be all set for the week for meals.

I've got to get my outfits planned for work for the week and make sure I am ready for tomorrow's WW meeting because I am working both jobs tomorrow.... then I can relax a bit and enjoy the very end of my holiday weekend.

I behaved myself at the movies (brought my own popcorn and my own Skinny Cow candy and my own seltzer.... shhhh.... don't tell on me!).... but I'm splurging on a light beer and a few slices of thin crust roasted vegetable pizza for dinner as a "weekend" treat.

I'll BB in the a.m.!.........................P

Morning all! Welcome to the QOTD for Tuesday, May 26, 2015:

It has been a good, albeit quiet month here. I've heard about some great victories and some struggles. We've lost, gained, lost again.... run, walked, vacationed, etc. As we head into SUMMER VACATION season, things will (probably) get tougher for most of us..... it is harder to get outside to exercise as it gets hotter.... summer BBQs, cook-outs, vacations, parties get into full swing (along with the cocktails, treats, and desserts that they hold!).

Do you have plan to have a
SUCCESSFUL SUMMER??? Exercise plan? Food plan? Back-up plan??? If so, would you like to share it??? If not, would you consider making a plan?

Off to work both jobs, but I'll try to BBL to chat!...............P

We are leaving for our Disney World vacation in just a little over 2 weeks so right now that is my big focus. Once we return, I know I will have the post vacation blues so we need to work on a plan. I do much better with fruits and vegetables in the summer months because of the ease of picking up items at the Farmer's market so that will be a focus.

Just wanted to say a brief hello before I am off to bed!

Love the QOTD, Pam. Will think about it and reply tomorrow! I often find summer the best time to lose weight for me, I tend to be more active all around! But that means I need a plan to make the most out of the opportunity!

slinking in here all stealth mode.
Life is nuts, that's all there is to it. I really want June to be here, specifically June 15 because that is the last day of school.
I have been trying to watch what I eat, and I have lost a pound or 2. I have also been trying to cut back on caffeine. It doesn't like me anymore, but drinking water is getting old!!! I'm trying to find a cup I can cram fruit into the middle of, if my kids would ever leave the fruit alone and not inhale it. LOL For now I've been filling my cup up about 3/4 of the way with water and adding a little lemonade.

Any way, quick hello. I really need to go to bed.
I will touch base soon!

Hi all! Here is your QOTD for Wednesday May 27, 2015:

Today is
NATIONAL SENIOR HEALTH AND FITNESS DAY!! In honor of this day, I want you to think forward.... 20 years, 30 years.. or more! How do you picture your GOLDEN years? Sick? Tired? Immobile? In pain? Full of doctors appointments and prescriptions??

OR amazing!!? The picture of fitness amongst your friends?? Able to keep up with your grandchildren for a FULL DAY at the Magic Kingdom?

How do you PLAN to make that happen.... because we KNOW it won't just happen without some forethought! What are you doing TODAY.... this very day.... this very week... to be sure that your
GOLDEN YEARS are truly GOLDEN~!!??

BB tonight to chat!....................P

Are you doing another one of these for June? Was seeing a diet clinic but the doctor is moving to Scotland with no replacement. I have a great digital scale at home but still need some accountability. Lost 33 pounds to date, but want to get under 300 and just a few pounds away...

Fly by post as life is busy busy busy !!
Trying to make walking a daily habit plus love swimming so hoping these will carry me through to old age gracefully. I do worry about type 2 diabetes in the future so trying to head that off by losing weight and making healthy food choices now!

Pam, that was the question for me, wasn't it??? :rotfl:

I struggle with bringing my lunch with me. I should do it more often. I don't because I love the social aspect of lunch. I am lucky that some of my friends are also colleagues and it is nice to see them over lunch. And then there is also the networking aspect of lunch. You kind of need to show your face at lunch now and then in order that people don't forget you exist at my workplace.

My compromise is that I should bring my own lunch at least twice a week. This coming week I am set for that as I have a meal plan and went shopping for it on Saturday. And tomorrow is actually a bring my own lunch day.

As to any standards. I am afraid that I am not too good at being inventive. I also want something that can be prepared the evening before. If I have to do it int he morning, the chances are that it won't get done unless it is very easy. Two of my standards are: grilled chicken breast with potato salad (I usually add a can of carrots and peas to that and just one tablespoon of sour cream, so it is not heavy at all) and cheese sandwich with dark rye bread and low fat camembert or soft goat cheese with some cut up veggies (carrots, bell pepper, cucumber, whatever I can find in my fridge). This week I have a packet of multigrain pita bread open (was used for lunch yesterday and today, it is very delicious!) and I will certainly use that for one of the lunches, most likely fill it with low fat ham.

I know that eating only meals that I have made myself and am able to actually count points on very accurately really helps me. I find it so difficult to count points when I eat stuff I cannot put on a scale. I find it so hard to estimate portion sizes.

It sounds like you have a handle on the brown-bag lunch situation.... your standards sound delicious!

----

Hope you all did better this weekend than I did! I had a migraine attack yesterday and that induced a crazy snack attack. I am starting to realize that these two things are in correlation (at least sometimes). I tracked everything and I ate soooo much! :faint: And the worst thing is that while most of the stuff was not really bad food, it was neither food that I really enjoyed. I had planned of being good with my points and indulge in a piece of strawberry cake today as it is a holiday here in Germany as well (Whitsun Monday). But I really don't have enough points for that now after yesterday. And then today I was on call for my work and had to go in and that took longer than I thought and I had to have an additional snack to tide me over until lunch. So, I am points poor again before dinner...

So, with that I am better off and grill my chicken for tomorrow and get the potatoes boiling to make them into a salad! :thumbsup2

Sorry about the migraine.... hope they are few and far between! Someone today told me that she roasts her potatoes for potato salad... doesn't that sound yummy???

We are leaving for our Disney World vacation in just a little over 2 weeks so right now that is my big focus. Once we return, I know I will have the post vacation blues so we need to work on a plan. I do much better with fruits and vegetables in the summer months because of the ease of picking up items at the Farmer's market so that will be a focus.

How jealous can I BE of an upcoming Disney vacation??!! Facebook gave me a Timehop today.... 2 years ago today DD and were in DHS riding Rockin' Rollercoaster.... sigh.... so sad we aen't going this year. Have a WONDERFUL trip!! Yum.... Farmers' Market!

Just wanted to say a brief hello before I am off to bed!

Love the QOTD, Pam. Will think about it and reply tomorrow! I often find summer the best time to lose weight for me, I tend to be more active all around! But that means I need a plan to make the most out of the opportunity!

I am hoping that lots of real physical work at school this summer will help me shed these few pounds I can't seem to shake!

slinking in here all stealth mode.
Life is nuts, that's all there is to it. I really want June to be here, specifically June 15 because that is the last day of school.
I have been trying to watch what I eat, and I have lost a pound or 2. I have also been trying to cut back on caffeine. It doesn't like me anymore, but drinking water is getting old!!! I'm trying to find a cup I can cram fruit into the middle of, if my kids would ever leave the fruit alone and not inhale it. LOL For now I've been filling my cup up about 3/4 of the way with water and adding a little lemonade.

Any way, quick hello. I really need to go to bed.
I will touch base soon!

You are missed and will be welcomed back when you return!! Take care of yourself!

Are you doing another one of these for June? Was seeing a diet clinic but the doctor is moving to Scotland with no replacement. I have a great digital scale at home but still need some accountability. Lost 33 pounds to date, but want to get under 300 and just a few pounds away...

Definitely doing a weight-loss thread for June! Lately we have been more about the chatter, but I think we need to CHALLENGE ourselves a bit!!

Fly by post as life is busy busy busy !!
Trying to make walking a daily habit plus love swimming so hoping these will carry me through to old age gracefully. I do worry about type 2 diabetes in the future so trying to head that off by losing weight and making healthy food choices now!

I hear you on the walking and swimming.... two GREAT exercises that you can stick with even as you age! Good for you for working to AVOID type 2 diabetes instead of tackling it once it takes hold!

Evening all! Long hot day at school.... plus I subbed for a bus monitor and that was one HOT ride! Thankfully dinner was bubbling away in the crockpot for me, so tonight will be easy ("chicken" parm pasta bowls).

I'm going to dash for now. I SWEAR it is 95° INSIDE my house right now.... need to head to the bedroom where it is air-conditioned! I'm going to throw in a load of wash and then head upstairs to relax with a book until dinner time! And I will get in my walk when the sun starts to set later!......................P

Morning all! I'm running CRAZY late, so no QOTD for today..... but I ENCOURAGE you to go back and find one that you didn't answer and THINK about it and come back and TALK about it! Ask for advice.... suggestions.... ideas... or offer some of your own!

Working double jobs today (gym teacher at school and subbing a WW meeting tonight) so I probably won't make it back here today! So sorry! But get ready for a FABULOUS FRIDAY!.......P

I am still here! I am in my last 6 days before I leave on vacation and am starting to feel very stressed out with all the things that need to be done before then...

Hi all! Welcome to your FUN FRIDAY QOTD for Friday, May 29, 2015:

You have received a gift of $10,000... WOWZA! But it comes with some rules....

Rule #1. You MUST spend half ($5,000) on yourself (just yourself....not your spouse, not your kiddo, not your parents or partners.... just on YOU!!).

Rule #2. You MUST give half away to the charity of YOUR choice.

How do you spend the money on yourself? Details please..... on a trip? A new wardrobe for your new slimmer body? A week at a spa?

Where do you donate half? What is your charity of choice? Why do you feel passionately about it?

Have a FUN FRIDAY! I am, of course, running late for work so I can't gab... but I'll try to pop on during the day. Teaching 4th grade so I may have some computer time! Make it a good one!............P

Looks like I am all by myself this Friday. Oh well. Hope it was a good one for everyone. It wasn't a tough work day (other than teaching a new math concept to 4th graders who are hot and not ready to learn on a Friday), but I'm glad the work week is over!

Korean beef bowls with brown rice on the menu tonight..... looking forward to it! Gonna add a lot of extra veggies to try and make it a bit healthier. I've made the recipe once before, but I'm anxious to tweak it a bit. If it is a winner, I'll share it on the recipe thread!

So, if anyone is wondering, I will be hosting/coaching for June, since it looks like we don't have any other volunteers. And it seems like we languished a bit these past few months, so time to GET SERIOUS! We are going BACK to a weight loss challenge (instead of just chatter). I'll be posting the "rules and regs" sometime tomorrow or Sunday (tomorrow is Prom so it promises to be a busy day). PLEASE consider joining us for the summer AND consider inviting a friend.... either a friend IRL or a Disboards friend! Remember, the more the merrier!!

I'll be back in the morning!...............P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter