• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that there has not been a mass exodus yet, unless Disney is holding back rooms. As of now, it seems like there's very little availability! But we're 4 months out and like many of the GF pros on here have said - things open up all the time so we shall see!!
Yep, you only have to cancel more than 5 days out on a room only, so maybe a bunch of people are still shocked by the discount amount or lack thereof and are trying to figure out what they want to do?? Maybe not, but you can always hope:)

After a lot of back and forth and not being able to get rooms (we needed two) at the GF, we were finally able to get rooms at the GF (garden view) for our upcoming September trip. Super excited that it finally came through for us, we were originally booked at Poly but wanted to change due to all the construction and originally nothing was available. Finally though we got notice that we were able to switch and I'm just glad things are looking up!

Yes may! I would love any pics of room views, views from the pool. I am feeling great now, harsh winter/spring, but I caught it early and had great doctors!I am a breast cancer survivor and cant wait to celebrate in wdw. That is the first time I have ever said or written that, I dont want to dwell on it but it felt good to say just once:)

I pray for you all, and I know she can beat this as I did!! Wdw is a great place to celebrate life!!

Oh wow!! It sounds like you need and deserve this trip to the GF! I hope it is magical!

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago and I know what a scary fight it can be! Congrats on making it through the fight stronger, healthier, and ready to celebrate!! It sounds like you have an amazing attitude and I hope your trip is perfect!

If it makes any difference to the conversation here, last week the GF must have been close to full. We could not get any rooms with a MK view. And we asked to extend our Lagoon Room by one night and were told that no rooms were available.

The GF is very popular and some people do pay rack rate to stay there (I'm not one of them...lol), but it seems Disney doesn't have any problem filling the resort (among others), at least for now :rolleyes1.

90 days until we check into the Grand Floridian! I can't believe it's getting close!

This will probably be our last stay at the Grand for awhile. We won't be going in 2016 (we'll have a new baby and I don't take infants to WDW!) so we won't be able to book a bounce back offer. Who knows what the discounts will be in 2017! Our friends booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Waldorf for less than $600 bucks a night for their March trip. When we go back with two kids, we may look at, GASP, off property!!!! We may need the extra room until the little one stops napping, although we stayed at the Poly when we took our eldest for the first time when she was 2. It would be nice to stay at the same place when we take our second!

The next 90 days will go fast :yay:.

Congratulations on the baby! 2017 seems far away, but it will be here before you know it :).

What a great rate for a 2 bedroom suite! Between the Waldorf and Four Seasons, Disney might be losing some customers if they keep raising room rates and charging more but giving guests less :sad2:.

Hi all! I have been out for a while since I had to cancel out trip this Aug due to my health issues, I am all good now and looking to book for May, whats new?

I'm sorry you had to cancel your August trip, but glad you are able to go in May :wizard:.

I'm booked for next summer as well and will be staying at the VGF. Discounts don't work for me anymore with DVC. :D

That's one good thing about DVC, no hoping and waiting for discounts ;).

I am feeling great now, harsh winter/spring, but I caught it early and had great doctors!I am a breast cancer survivor and cant wait to celebrate in wdw. That is the first time I have ever said or written that, I dont want to dwell on it but it felt good to say just once:)

Glad you are feeling good. I hope you continue to feel great and keep progressing for the better :hug:.
After a lot of back and forth and not being able to get rooms (we needed two) at the GF, we were finally able to get rooms at the GF (garden view) for our upcoming September trip. Super excited that it finally came through for us, we were originally booked at Poly but wanted to change due to all the construction and originally nothing was available. Finally though we got notice that we were able to switch and I'm just glad things are looking up!

Glad everything worked out and you were able to make the switch and get 2 rooms at the GF :cool1:.

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question. We are coming from another resort for breakfast at 1900 PF, then going to MK for the day, the having dinner at Narcoossee's. Is there a locker we can rent at the GF to place a change of clothing so we can get pretty for our dinner at Narcoossee's? Or are there lockers at MK? Is there a nice public washroom we could change in? Thanks for any insite!

Yes may! I would love any pics of room views, views from the pool. I am feeling great now, harsh winter/spring, but I caught it early and had great doctors!I am a breast cancer survivor and cant wait to celebrate in wdw. That is the first time I have ever said or written that, I dont want to dwell on it but it felt good to say just once:)

Congratulations Survivor! Here's to good health and a great vacation!

My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I'm a cancer survivor as well, so we know the ups and downs, but when I got told I was in remission I wanted to shout it from the rooftops so I think a great Disney vacation is one of the best celebrations to salute to good health!

Just back from my first stay at Grand Floridian. We all loved the resort.

Arrived around 11am and our room was ready but it was in Sago Key. I asked if anything else was available as I wanted Boca Chica. Several rooms were and they let me choose my room on the ipad. We were taken my cart to the room and I quickly realized I had made a mistake.... I had chosen one of the few bad room views right behind the pool house. They were so nice and the man who transported us called in and got us moved down the hall. We ended up with a great view of the pool and grounds.

I cant say enough great things about this resort. The CM's were so friendly and it was just gorgeous. Loved turn down service... so nice to get fresh towels and chocolates as we were 4 women in the room. Loved the location.

Doubt I will stay there again as this was definitely a big splurge but I am so glad I got to stay there once as it has always been a dream of mine.

Arrived around 11am and our room was ready but it was in Sago Key. I asked if anything else was available as I wanted Boca Chica. Several rooms were and they let me choose my room on the ipad. We were taken my cart to the room and I quickly realized I had made a mistake.... I had chosen one of the few bad room views right behind the pool house. They were so nice and the man who transported us called in and got us moved down the hall. We ended up with a great view of the pool and grounds.

I cant say enough great things about this resort. The CM's were so friendly and it was just gorgeous. Loved turn down service... so nice to get fresh towels and chocolates as we were 4 women in the room. Loved the location.

Doubt I will stay there again as this was definitely a big splurge but I am so glad I got to stay there once as it has always been a dream of mine.

So glad you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to our visit in a few weeks - we have stayed at every onsite resort except the GF. Can't wait.

Just wanted to follow-up and say that I ended up emailing IPO who responded that there are 6 king rooms in SL, none of which are HCA.

I had asked about where they were in relation to the lobby and I didn't get a specific answer but my room request modification said I wanted it 'not off the lobby' and they said my request was updated and they'd do their best to accommodate me.

So...now we wait until November 14th and see!

Although, I did go ahead and reserve a room at the Waldorf and the more I look at the options there the more I am swayed to make the change to that resort. Argh - if only Disney just did exactly what I wanted them to and give me a 20-30% discount on my main building king deluxe!!! Now all the decisions!

Don't know how I missed this before..thanks for sharing this info loveshak :goodvibes ...I'm pretty sure that 4 of those king rooms are 61,2,3 and 422.. I am wondering if the other two are the king rooms that are attached to the suites in SL..? Good to know that none are HA also for those that prefer a room with a tub...I actually was advised by someone in IPO...a while back though..and not someone that I am familiar with...that some of the king rooms are HA??? Sounds to me like the person that you spoke with shared more info..and was more knowledgeable! :thumbsup2

I am actually checking the first of the new year, just in case we decide not to keep our late Nov./early Dec. trip (it's at the AKL). We are kind of thinking that since we will just have been to DL in mid-Sept., we may wait a little bit longer to go. Problem is, the TA whose agency I check for good discounts is not offering the Grand at that time. :sad2: It's either the WL or the Poly...not bad choices really, if we decide to move the trip! :rolleyes1 (is that you I hear, Mickeynut, encouraging me to book the Poly?? :laughing:)

We need to compare dates...one of these trips has got to overlap! Well.. I do understand waiting..sort of..since you do have a DL trip to look forward too...You know that MickeyNut def a Poly enabler...lol....::yes::

We enjoyed our lagoon room in Big Pine raving Poly. Boca Chica would be nice too!

Always enjoy hearing about peoples opinions and experiences with the different buildings and views...Thanks Sue ..:goodvibes

I'm that little voice telling you to book the Poly :rotfl::rotfl:.

:hyper2: Now there's a surprise!! lol...:p

Me!! I am almost tempted to cancel my resort reservation now but keep tickets and ADRs and see if that leads to a UOC code. In the past, I was always able to add a discount to my trip. I guess I was lucky then because I heard other people having problems and saying people shouldn't book before discounts...but since I never personally experienced any issues I assumed more people got discounts than didn't. Now I realize it probably was luck before and with the tightening of discounts, it sounds even more difficult to just apply a discount to an already booked room! So this has stopped me from booking early for sure! If I wait for the discount to be released and there are no rooms, then we'll go somewhere else. If there are discounts then great! I can always book ADRs 180 days without a room, unless Disney changes that for resort guests at some point.

FWIW I have gotten codes for times that I have already had a trip booked..so I am not really sure that they are associated....:confused3 There seems to be no rhyme or reason with those so far as I can tell....:upsidedow I agree with the theory of not booking early...and we generally have not had a any difficulty getting the type of room that we prefer with the available discount...:thumbsup2 and I have booked "other" (BC Poly etc...lol..) resorts....and then at the last minute gotten cold feet :blush: ...silly I know and with in a few weeks/days of trip time ,moved back to the GF ..which is why I have said rooms do often open up close to trip time..and with the discounted offer....:thumbsup2 It happens ..and I sure hope that it happens for you!!! :goodvibes

LOL. Exactly! Even if we all didn't book, other people would, and then we'd be the ones left without a room. I can't figure out exactly how their discounts work anyway. If it's based purely on how many rooms are available, then why was I able to get a discount on a room when all the rooms were showing sold out even at rack rate? I thought I was going to have to pay rack rate:scared1:. My dates include Columbus Day weekend, which is always busy! I think there's more to it than we know, but of course the number of rooms still available on a particular date would have to play a big role.

Me either....:tilt: :faint: ...lol...I think that on line availability can be a good predictor of whats available...but..its always better to call...::yes::

Thanks for not throwing anything :rotfl::rotfl:.

We are planning on a Poly/CR split and if I can't get a discount when/if they are released for next summer, I'll make the decision at that time on what to do. The GF is my second choice should things not work out for what I have booked, so it wouldn't be the worst thing if I couldn't get a discount on the other two ;).

Awesome split...we really enjoyed our CR/GF split....:thumbsup2

Well I cancelled my 3 nights main bldg CL when I was on hold for an hour and half at work first thing in the morning to find out no discount. I was so upset that I looked into the Four Seasons and booked a room there until I decide what I want to do. I changed my GF to a lagoon view and even that room is $100 more a night than the Four Seasons. If a discount comes out great if not we will be at the Four Seasons.

LV rooms at the GF are lovely....although I am a CL fan..it is not the be all of staying at the GF..there is so much to enjoy..the beautiful grounds...the welcoming lobby with the music in the evening....and the variety of shopping and dining...have I mentioned what a wonderful resort that it is....;) Actually whatever you choose..the GF or the 4S..I am sure that you will enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2 I do think though..that there is a certain merit to staying on property....

I'm not addicted enough to pay rack rate when I know there are other places we can stay... They are counting on people to continue to do the same old thing when they are changing their practices, but I can change with the times... We've stayed at several Four Seasons around the country, and if they are any indication at all, Disney has a very long way to go in terms of service before I would consider those rack rates. It's sad, but very true...

Well said...:thumbsup2 We were surprised at how much we enjoyed our BWI stay...

If it makes any difference to the conversation here, last week the GF must have been close to full. We could not get any rooms with a MK view. And we asked to extend our Lagoon Room by one night and were told that no rooms were available.

:eek: ..I do think that the resort runs at or close to full capacity at certain times of the year..not to mention...many people have changed resorts over to the GF due to construction at the Poly and the WL...:crowded:

90 days until we check into the Grand Floridian! I can't believe it's getting close!

This will probably be our last stay at the Grand for awhile. We won't be going in 2016 (we'll have a new baby and I don't take infants to WDW!) so we won't be able to book a bounce back offer. Who knows what the discounts will be in 2017! Our friends booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Waldorf for less than $600 bucks a night for their March trip. When we go back with two kids, we may look at, GASP, off property!!!! We may need the extra room until the little one stops napping, although we stayed at the Poly when we took our eldest for the first time when she was 2. It would be nice to stay at the same place when we take our second!

Congratulations on the new addition to your family! :goodvibes and on your trip being so close!! We are a family of 5 and always felt comfortable in the standard rooms at the monorail resorts..and especially liked the convenience of being able to hop right back to the resort mid day for the little ones to nap/swim or just take a general break....so you might want to think about that..particularly with VGF and BLT now being available...

Hi all! I have been out for a while since I had to cancel out trip this Aug due to my health issues, I am all good now and looking to book for May, whats new?

jennygt Welcome back :hug:...So happy to hear that your health is better and that you are planning a well deserved trip for next year! :goodvibes May is a lovely time to be at the World...:cloud9:

I have a trip soon with dd and will post pix. Any requests?

:cheer2: Your trip is right around the bend....I have a request....please take pics of EVERYTHING!!! And maybe a few live posts...???? :goodvibes Thank you...Its the next best thing to being there!! :flower3:

:dance3:Congratualtions!! thats great...You are in for a treat! :thumbsup2

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question. We are coming from another resort for breakfast at 1900 PF, then going to MK for the day, the having dinner at Narcoossee's. Is there a locker we can rent at the GF to place a change of clothing so we can get pretty for our dinner at Narcoossee's? Or are there lockers at MK? Is there a nice public washroom we could change in? Thanks for any insite!

I cannot recall if there are any lockers in the large bathroom..which also has showers... at the beach pool of the GF....but I know that there are indeed lockers available in the MK..near the Main Street train station...There are two public restrooms in the main building at the GF..one right next to 1900 PF and one on the second floor that you could change in...

Congratulations Survivor! Here's to good health and a great vacation!

My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I'm a cancer survivor as well, so we know the ups and downs, but when I got told I was in remission I wanted to shout it from the rooftops so I think a great Disney vacation is one of the best celebrations to salute to good health!

A great sentiment!! :goodvibes All the best to you and your mom...Thank you for sharing ...I don't blame you for wanting to shout from the roof tops!!

~ Some interesting news that I read right here on the DIS...It seems that you can now opt out of getting a new MB....:thumbsup2 which I think is a great option...It is nice to have a few...maybe with colors that match the season for which you are visitng...or whatever your fave color is...but... after a while...:rainbow:...lol...I think that many you you probably feel the same way....Seems like kind of a waste..and if you have a split stay they have been sending 2!!??? lol...

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a magical Monday!! :earsgirl: preppy GF gal who is having WDW withdrawl....:upsidedow

I'm not addicted enough to pay rack rate when I know there are other places we can stay... They are counting on people to continue to do the same old thing when they are changing their practices, but I can change with the times... We've stayed at several Four Seasons around the country, and if they are any indication at all, Disney has a very long way to go in terms of service before I would consider those rack rates. It's sad, but very true...

I agree! I also would never pay "retail" for a Disney stay, if we aren't getting some type of deal, we wouldn't go. But luckily we have been able to get either a bounceback or another Disney deal the past five years in a row.

I've seen the Four Seasons on Trip Advisor & I was practically drooling! I have friends who stay offsite and always tell me how much a better value it is, bigger rooms, better service, more luxurious room, etc. But since we always do the deluxe dining plan and never rent a car, we stay onsite. My DH loves the magical express and ease of not having to rent a car and use the Disney transportation. I also like the idea of staying at a different Disney property every year. However we do have some non-expiring tickets from 8 year ago, you never know, we might stay offsite one day.

So happy to hear that you had such a Grand trip!! :goodvibes I think that the CMs at the GF always try to be very accommodating particularly when meeting a room request...It really is so nice to return to a room that has been turned down..with those yummy chocolates on the pillow...and everything all fresh and welcoming...:cloud9: These are some of the things that make it our fave resort....

I agree! I also would never pay "retail" for a Disney stay, if we aren't getting some type of deal, we wouldn't go. But luckily we have been able to get either a bounce back or another Disney deal the past five years in a row.

I've seen the Four Seasons on Trip Advisor & I was practically drooling! I have friends who stay offsite and always tell me how much a better value it is, bigger rooms, better service, more luxurious room, etc. But since we always do the deluxe dining plan and never rent a car, we stay onsite. My DH loves the magical express and ease of not having to rent a car and use the Disney transportation. I also like the idea of staying at a different Disney property every year. However we do have some non-expiring tickets from 8 year ago, you never know, we might stay offsite one day.

Those bounce backs really give a great incentive to come back don't they....(Disney logic at work here...lol) ...How nice to have been able to get a good deal every year...:thumbsup2 I think that Disney transportation helps to stay in the Disney bubble...so we never rent a car either...I sure hope that the rising costs and the decreasing discounts don't lead us off site either....:confused3

Maddie's Nana How great that you have stayed at every resort...I would love to hear your thoughts/comparisons after your GF stay...Hope that you will come back and share them with us! :goodvibes Have a great trip!

Those bounce backs really give a great incentive to come back don't they....(Disney logic at work here...lol) ...How nice to have been able to get a good deal every year...:thumbsup2 I think that Disney transportation helps to stay in the Disney bubble...so we never rent a car either...I sure hope that the rising costs and the decreasing discounts don't lead us off site either....:confused3 [B said:
Maddie's Nana [/B] How great that you have stayed at every resort...I would love to hear your thoughts/comparisons after your GF stay...Hope that you will come back and share them with us! :goodvibes Have a great trip!

Yep, plus the $$$$ you can save on airfare by booking the bounceback, since you know when you are going, you can book your airfare the day it is released

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed the GF. It is a great resort with some of the best CMs :goodvibes.

We are looking forward to our visit in a few weeks - we have stayed at every onsite resort except the GF. Can't wait.

You will love the GF :wizard:.

You know that MickeyNut def a Poly enabler...lol....::yes::

:rolleyes1

I've seen the Four Seasons on Trip Advisor & I was practically drooling! I have friends who stay offsite and always tell me how much a better value it is, bigger rooms, better service, more luxurious room, etc.

I have to agree, the rooms and overall resort look pretty nice ;).

CM friend, GoGo, and I will be staying at GF in mid-September. We are very excited - our first Monorail resort!!

Our plan is to book massages for one of our days. Any recommendations for a specific massage therapist(s)? GoGo and I both enjoy deep tissue versus Swedish so I thought I'd ask ahead of time. How far in advance do you suggest we book our appointments? Thanks!:)

Does anyone know how many deluxe king rooms there are in RPC and/or their room numbers/locations?

Pick me :rolleyes1 I never book without a discount!

Same here, I don't book early then wait for a discount because we normally stay on the military discount and every CMs I've spoke to will not add that discount to a room if we have rack rate, they will cancel our reservation then book us another one under the military discount. That's to much trouble and in no way garentuees us anything other than a room at rack rate, so we just hold out and book once discounts are unveiled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter