2013 Dis Exclusive BackstageMagic Adventure 6/9 - 6/14/13

Hi Everyone! :wave2:

I'm super excited about this trip as I have been wanting to go badly for several years. :) This is our (me and husband John's) first ABD trip but our 2nd Disneyland trip with the first being in 2004. We are from New England but have relocated to Central Florida and just love it here. :thumbsup2 We were on PCC 2.0 and 3.0. We are booked on 4.0 as well but think we will be canceling since our son will be in the midst of mid terms that can not be made up. :sad1: Since we live near by - we are up for any Disney World meets that come about. Can't wait to meet you all and share an incredible adventure! :goodvibes

Lisa

Hi Everyone! :wave2:

I'm super excited about this trip as I have been wanting to go badly for several years. :) This is our (me and husband John's) first ABD trip but our 2nd Disneyland trip with the first being in 2004. We are from New England but have relocated to Central Florida and just love it here. :thumbsup2 We were on PCC 2.0 and 3.0. We are booked on 4.0 as well but think we will be canceling since our son will be in the midst of mid terms that can not be made up. :sad1: Since we live near by - we are up for any Disney World meets that come about. Can't wait to meet you all and share an incredible adventure! :goodvibes

Lisa

Lisa - You and John are going to have a really fun time on this trip. You'll see so much Disney stuff you'll explode. And you just might see a smile on Johns face at times. :)

Welcome everyone! I have been listening to the DIsneyland podcast more regularly & it gets me excited for our trip!

Out of curiosity to everyone how are you going to be doing your before ABD itinerary. We are hoping to fly southwest into lax the day of but it looks like (for the time being) the earliest flight gets us in at 1:45 which I believe makes us miss the transfers from the airport to the hotel (correct me if I'm wrong). So now we are debating about spending a night before in Hollywood.

Is anyone else planning to spend a night or two before ABD? Are you staying at the renaissance? What do you do about the transfer then? Is it worth to spend a night before in Hollywood?

I'd love to go out the day before to see some sights and especially forest lawn.

Hey there

Firstly - welcome to all the recent new travellers - looking forward to meetin you all.

Darthvader 92 - We (my sister Christine and I) are arriving the day before and staying at the Renaissance, this seemed to be the easiest option rather than risking delayed flights etc.

We are hoping to go off to explore maybe Farmers Market during that time as well as shopping maybe :cool1: then more shopping;)

Actually Christine has mentioned Forest Lawn. Have to suss out how far away and transport etc and decide what is more doable.

OK - what's the big deal about the Farmer's Market? Seems like everyone wants to go there. I mean, Farmer's Markets are nice and all, but is there any attraction besides shopping? I certainly won't be interested in picking up any fresh meat or produce. Anything unique about it beyond other Farmer's Markets? I went to the website and I don't get why I would want to spend my one day of free time there vs a studio tour or say Griffith Park or the beach or something uniquely LA. What am I missing? :confused3

Maybe its growing up in the Northeast and going to Farmer's Markets regularly as a kid and being bored silly at them. I admit we went to one in Melbourne, Australia recently and it was slightly interesting, but we used it to buy souvenirs for friends and family back home, and even then I had had enough after an hour.

Pete

OK - what's the big deal about the Farmer's Market? Seems like everyone wants to go there. I mean, Farmer's Markets are nice and all, but is there any attraction besides shopping? I certainly won't be interested in picking up any fresh meat or produce. Anything unique about it beyond other Farmer's Markets? I went to the website and I don't get why I would want to spend my one day of free time there vs a studio tour or say Griffith Park or the beach or something uniquely LA. What am I missing? :confused3

Maybe its growing up in the Northeast and going to Farmer's Markets regularly as a kid and being bored silly at them. I admit we went to one in Melbourne, Australia recently and it was slightly interesting, but we used it to buy souvenirs for friends and family back home, and even then I had had enough after an hour.

Pete

Let me start by saying that the LA Farmer's Market is our favorite thing to do while in Los Angeles.

The FM is not your average vegetable stand. It's been in business since the 1930's. If you are an I Love Lucy fan, they mention visiting DuPar's restaurant. It's been a fixture at the FM since the beginning. History says this was where James Dean ate just before his auto accident, which killed him.

You can tell be the way it's built, that this was not the original plan. It's obvious that the buildings are additions to additions to additions.

At the FM, you will find every type and variety of food imaginable. John and I think Magee's makes and sells the best corned beef sandwich anywhere...including NYC. Bob's Donuts makes fresh donuts all day. We try to visit both of these places as many times as our schedule will allow.

There is great French gourmet food shop (they ship) and many small shops selling unique stuff. There is also a fruit and veggie section, as well as butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.

We mainly go for the atmosphere and the food vendors. We love the Farmer's Market.

Also, in recent years, they have added the Grove to the FM. This is an outdoor mall and has stores you would find in most cities. There are some cool features. There is a trolley that runs the length of the shopping area and there are restaurants and cafes all along the way.

If you have young girls or know young girls, I'm sure you have heard of the American Girl stores. There is an American Girl store and cafe at the Grove.

The Grove's other claim to fame is that it's where famous people get "caught" shopping amongst the common folk. I find it hard to believe they are "caught" when they are in full hair and makeup....but who am I to judge.

If after reading this you still think this would bore you, then you are absolutely correct in skipping this and going on a studio tour.

There is something for everyone.

If after reading this you still think this would bore you, then you are absolutely correct in skipping this and going on a studio tour.

There is something for everyone.

Hmmm, the food vendors do peak my interest a bit, especially a good corned beef sandwhich! Based on your dining reviews I think we have very similar tastes in food/restaurants, so we might have to give it a try.

The shopping and celeb spotting not so appealing to me. DD has always been more into Legos than dolls, so one of the few little girls in america that's never had an American Girl doll.

It's still not likely we will have the time for it this trip, though I bet my wife would really like it. Hollywood fascinates me in a way that I think is different from most of America. I would rather meet the writers or producers of a television show than any of the actors. Even talking with a propmaster or stunt co-ordinator would be so cool. That really why my preference would be to take my extra day and get to a studio tour. I realize this is what we will be doing all week to some degree, but I can't get enough. However, being a Saturday/Sunday perhaps we can't do that...I will certainly consider the Farmer's Market as a 2nd option!

History says this was where James Dean ate just before his auto accident, which killed him.

This sentence made me laugh, as when I first read it the thing that popped into my mind was "Eating at DuPar's killed James Dean?":goodvibes

Hmmm, the food vendors do peak my interest a bit, especially a good corned beef sandwhich! Based on your dining reviews I think we have very similar tastes in food/restaurants, so we might have to give it a try.

The shopping and celeb spotting not so appealing to me. DD has always been more into Legos than dolls, so one of the few little girls in america that's never had an American Girl doll.

It's still not likely we will have the time for it this trip, though I bet my wife would really like it. Hollywood fascinates me in a way that I think is different from most of America. I would rather meet the writers or producers of a television show than any of the actors. Even talking with a propmaster or stunt co-ordinator would be so cool. That really why my preference would be to take my extra day and get to a studio tour. I realize this is what we will be doing all week to some degree, but I can't get enough. However, being a Saturday/Sunday perhaps we can't do that...I will certainly consider the Farmer's Market as a 2nd option!

This sentence made me laugh, as when I first read it the thing that popped into my mind was "Eating at DuPar's killed James Dean?":goodvibes

Of the studio tours I in which I have participated, meeting the writers, stunt folks, prop masters etc was not part of the tour. It's usually things like seeing the backlot, sound stages and seeing where things are filmed. "This is the soundstage where Everybody Loves Raymond was filmed." That kind of thing.

Unless you are very familiar with the writers or producers, they are less easy to spot than the actors. There is a low recognizability factor to the off camera folks. Unless they are walking around in an "I Produced XXXX" tshirt, you might have trouble finding them.

I want you to know that I wasnt trying to sell you on going to the Farmer's Market. I dont really have a stake in whether you go or not. I was just trying to answer your question.

We have always found lots of stuff to do. On our last trip, we went to the Santa Monica Pier, The La Brea tar pits and museum, the Griffith Observatory (absolutely cool even if you have no interest in the actual observatory).

All of this was free (no admission), but we had a car and that made transportation easy.

Of the studio tours I in which I have participated, meeting the writers, stunt folks, prop masters etc was not part of the tour. It's usually things like seeing the backlot, sound stages and seeing where things are filmed. "This is the soundstage where Everybody Loves Raymond was filmed." That kind of thing.

Unless you are very familiar with the writers or producers, they are less easy to spot than the actors. There is a low recognizability factor to the off camera folks. Unless they are walking around in an "I Produced XXXX" tshirt, you might have trouble finding them.

I want you to know that I wasnt trying to sell you on going to the Farmer's Market. I dont really have a stake in whether you go or not. I was just trying to answer your question.

We have always found lots of stuff to do. On our last trip, we went to the Santa Monica Pier, The La Brea tar pits and museum, the Griffith Observatory (absolutely cool even if you have no interest in the actual observatory).

All of this was free (no admission), but we had a car and that made transportation easy.

No - I know the tours do not involve meeting writers or producers, just seeing backstage areas, but that's cool enough for me. I was just showing examples on what interests me about Hollywood - not "celebrities" put "operations", probably the same thing that makes me want to take this tour. Actually I'm nerdy enough that I would probably recognize a few of the bigger name producers - and not just Jerry Bruckheimer. (Directors too, I'd rather get my picture taken with Brad Bird than Tom Cruise.)

And I know you weren't trying to sell me on the Farmer's Market. I really appreciated your feedback about what made it special versus any plain old Farmer's Market!

Welcome Mandy & Phillip, Lisa & John!

Regarding pre ABD activities - Kat and I are planning on arriving LAX June 3rd then driving up to San Francisco checking out Big Sur and a few other highlights on the way. A few days there including a day at the Walt Disney Family Museum and then flying back down to LAX on the 9th in time to start our adventure!

Post night stays are still being worked out. Does anyone know if it's possible to do ABD post nights at an alternative Disney resort? We'd love to check out the Disneyland hotel for 1 or 2 nights but don't know if we can still take advantage of the ABD airport transfer back to LAX at the end of our stay?

Getting super excited the more I think about this trip, then I look at the calendar and it still seems sooo far away!

Adam

Does anyone know if it's possible to do ABD post nights at an alternative Disney resort? We'd love to check out the Disneyland hotel for 1 or 2 nights but don't know if we can still take advantage of the ABD airport transfer back to LAX at the end of our stay?

ABD's contract is with the Grand Californian only. They can not provide additional nights at any of the other hotels.

If you want to stay at a different DL hotel, Dreams Unlimited Travel can provide a price quote, but it would be a separate reservation and transfers would not be included.

I just noticed John and Kevin's names have been removed from the front page. Does this mean you guys won't be making the trip? I was looking forward to meeting you!

I just noticed John and Kevin's names have been removed from the front page. Does this mean you guys won't be making the trip? I was looking forward to meeting you!

Just saw this. Sorry for the delay in responding.

At this point, I dont think John and I will be participating.

With the amount of travel we do, it's hard to fit everything in.

No final descisions have been made.

Just saw this. Sorry for the delay in responding.

At this point, I dont think John and I will be participating.

With the amount of travel we do, it's hard to fit everything in.

No final descisions have been made.

Oh well, we will miss meeting you in person, but completely understand! Even for those of us that love to travel, there's only so much you can take before the fun starts to fade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter