2013 Beach and Yacht FAQ, Fun & Friends: Don't Post Here- New Thread Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Captain's Grille for breakfast? Is it crowded? How is the food? I'm intrigued by the dark chocolate waffles...

I was intrigued by this (and the ricotta pancakes!) so I made reservations for our August trip. We did eat there 2 years ago for dinner, and the dinner fare was VERY good and the chef was very nice (my daughter has food allergies) when he came to the table it turned out he grew up in the same neighborhood as my parents so he gave us his card and said to ask for him if we come in again, he would take care of us lol. I still have his card, I have to find it. Our only complaint was the wait for dinner, we were one of the first seatings and they were sitting everyone but us, I guess itc because we were such a large party so they had to put tables together and what not. But it was a nice dinner, so I am looking forward to the breakfast.

That sounds like a great surprise. DH and I always talk about surprising the kids sometime, but I just don't think I could ever keep it a secret.

I wouldn't be able to keep the secret either!!! Unfortunately, the sooner I get to a trip the more I'm on the DIS - I would be busted. It's killing me just not telling my younger two that their cousins are coming....:hyper:...let's see if I can make it for 25 days. I am so busy that this should keep me preoccupied.

I wouldn't be able to keep the secret either!!! Unfortunately, the sooner I get to a trip the more I'm on the DIS - I would be busted. It's killing me just not telling my younger two that their cousins are coming....:hyper:...let's see if I can make it for 25 days. I am so busy that this should keep me preoccupied.

I could never, ever keep it a secret. It would be too much fun sharing all that planning. :)

The cousins will be delighted to spend their vacations together. It sounds like a great time. :goodvibes

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

I just wanted to give you a little warning about this secret pathway. It doesn't work if you are using the secret exit from the BC. The beginning of the "walkway to Epcot that goes under the bridge instead of over the hill" begins to the west of the secret exit from the BC. So you would have to walk towards the Yacht Club to pick up the "under bridge" walkway, which is the opposite direction you want to go. It is worth it if you are pushing a stroller, though. :goodvibes And for anyone not using the BC exit near room 1501, the under bridge walkway is great. :)

Now it makes sense why I didn't know about this! Always take the short cut out. Will have to try this next time.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Can anyone join in the Dis meet on the 6th? We won't be at BC yet, but we will be at POR and we could just happen to plan dinner in that area!! Let me know the details.

Ryan

Can anyone join in the Dis meet on the 6th? We won't be at BC yet, but we will be at POR and we could just happen to plan dinner in that area!! Let me know the details.

Meet is planned for Saturday July 6, I haven't heard a time for sure, the past meets have been at 6 PM in the Solarium at the Beach Club.

I'll publish details as they become available.

I think the following DISers have expressed interest- Disneymomx7 (Robyn), TeenaS, The Magical One (Lauren), dfarner, RWathen, couchy

Am I missing anyone?

Oh, Flat Dee of course!

Try this for the tickers- Place two of the codes side by side, add one space with the space bar- like the two in my signature. Then the other one can be underneath.

[code ticker one] [code ticker two]
[code ticker three]

If one of the tickers is shorter than the other, use that one as the second one on the same line as the first

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone! Finally have a moment to get caught up on our trip. We arrived Thursday and waited until 2 for our room and alas no full balcony, which was our only request. We are on the fourth floor with a view dead on of the windmill of SAB and the lagoon beyond that. I love our room and honestly cannot see us moving back down to moderate until the baby is bigger as it is the perfect amount of space even with a stroller and pack n play. My husband has requested that I ask to be near transportation next time as we are all the way down at the end of the building. On the best plus side, we have the BEST maid. Not only is our room been spotless and perfect but….TOWEL ANIMALS. The first night we came in she had set up the pig/elephant reading the babies book and last night we have a great big birthday cake with one of the birthday buttons and older DD giraffe hanging out on it. DH and DD have been to SAB twice and our in love. Bus service has been pretty good, no complaints, although we have avoided the dreaded Downtown Disney bus. I have to thank all of you yet again for the suggestion of Garden Grill. We ate there Thursday night and had the best time and the best server, Jeffrey. The baby loved Mickey, screamed at Pluto and was indifferent to Chip and Dale, but momma inhaled two plates of the mashed potatoes so I was all good. Friday was a MK day and we truly got a lot accomplished and I felt the crowds were very easy to manage. BOG for dinner that night was amazing. I cried walking into the ballroom because it was that magical and the food was equally delicious. Saturday was AK and it was HOT and HUMID and we rode out a thunderstorm at Dinosaur, but DH and older DD were happy because they rode Everest 7 times. Dinner last night was Boma and it was another hit. I tried to be adventurous and really wanted to like the Carrot Ginger soup, but alas no go. Zebra Domes however were a huge hit for me and DH. AKL is amazing and I think we will take more time to explore it later in our trip. Today is DHS day for Mothers day and Captain’s Grill tonight for dinner. Overall I am thrilled with BC, its location, rooms, and staff. Have a great day everyone and be back soon!pixiedust:

Thank you for the update. Love hearing from everyone that is visiting now. The carrot ginger soup sounds great (sorry you didn't like it). We will have to try it next week.

Jan

Meet is planned for Saturday July 6, I haven't heard a time for sure, the past meets have been at 6 PM in the Solarium at the Beach Club.

I'll publish details as they become available.

I think the following DISers have expressed interest- Disneymomx7 (Robyn), TeenaS, The Magical One (Lauren), dfarner, RWathen, couchy

Am I missing anyone?

Oh, Flat Dee of course!

Try this for the tickers- Place two of the codes side by side, add one space with the space bar- like the two in my signature. Then the other one can be underneath.

[code ticker one] [code ticker two]
[code ticker three]

If one of the tickers is shorter than the other, use that one as the second one on the same line as the first

Thanks for the ticker help, but I gave up and went with smaller tickers from a different site! That seemed to work.

Ryan

How is Captain's Grille for breakfast? Is it crowded? How is the food? I'm intrigued by the dark chocolate waffles...

On our last day at the BC in December 2012 we had a delicious breakfast in the Captain's Grille. It was perfect! It's a quiet place that is not "Disneyfied". This in itself is a welcome respite from all the Disney overload that one encounters on vacation and it's especially welcome in the morning before you return to human form with the addition of coffee and carbs.

The food is great because it meets the needs of all in your dining party. There is an all you can eat breakfast buffet and I think they even make your eggs to order here. Then there is the menu!

http://allears.net/menu/menu_ygb.htm

As you can see from the link they have many yummy options.

We walked up with out reservations and after a short wait we were seated with no problem. It was the perfect start to our last day on vacation. At the end of a WDW trip you are sort of tired and are looking to take it a little easier. We found the Captain's Grille to be a peaceful respite with delicious food. The all you care to eat breakfast buffet suited the carnivores in our family and the lobster lovers got their fill with that divine Lobster Omelet!

I'd dine at the Captain's Grille again in a heartbeat. I hope to drop in for dinner without an ADR on our upcoming trip in June. That all depends on where the wind takes us so to speak... Not having an ADR free's us up to concentrate on the parks. I like knowing that the Captain's Grille is the place to go on the fly. The only thing I would remember is that if you are going without an ADR, you should get there either earlier or later so as not to get caught up in the dinner rush..... but this applies to every dining establishment in WDW. The CG is also open for lunch so that is an option too!

Good luck with your planning~

Signed,
The Captain's Grille Groupie

Question about the Yacht Club and Beach Club club lounges- I think someone recently posted that you can go out on a porch from the lounge at the Yacht Club. Has anyone done that? Pictures from the porch?

How about the Beach Club. Although I have had a CL room twice, I have no idea if you can access the outside from the lounge. Anyone know? Again, pictures???

Also, I would love to have more YC and BC room view pictures (both club level and standard rooms). It would be especially helpful to have samples of Standard Views, since I think people are a little afraid of booking this category and getting a horrendous view- so showing the good, bad and ugly is the best way for people to know what to expect.

I started up two View Threads in the Resort Photo Subforum:

Beach Club Room Views

Yacht Club Room Views

The purpose of these thread is to give some samples of rooms in various view categories at the Yacht and Beach Clubs.

Thanks!

Sorry I posted this on the older thread and then I saw you had made a newer one. But was wondering about the Jib Slide. My daughter is 8 and she still wears a life vest. Hoping that this summer is the summer she learns how to swim, but I think I would still keep the vest on her at Disney bc there is just so much pool to cover at BC. She could probably just touch the bottom of the 4 ft pool. Will she be able ot go on the Jib Slide? She was doing the slides at CBR last year. Thanks!

Last summer our son was 2 1/2 and he used either our own Puddle Jumper or one of the resort's lifejackets. He started by going down the little slide on the backside of the Flying Jib. He wanted to keep up with his older siblings and had no trouble with the Flying Jib slide. One of us always went down ahead of him and made sure he was able to clear the bottom of the slide. We were not allowed to "catch" him, but we swam over to the side and just encouraged him to doggy paddle over to us. Your daughter should be fine. :thumbsup2

Checking into the BC in 17 days! :banana: The banana really does not do justice to how excited I am.

DBF and I are flying in separately, so I'll have around 4 hours to myself that I just can't decide what to do with. Debating whether or not it'd be worth it to hit the MK for a little bit, just to go shopping and enjoy Main Street. We may not be able to get to the MK until our third day together, and I'm a sap who needs to see the train station and the castle to feel like I've arrived (DBF is less sentimental and doesn't care if I hit the parks without him, though I do have to wait for him to ride the Haunted Mansion). :rotfl: But if the room is ready when I check in, I'll probably just hang out in the BC/YC/BW area, unpack, do some souvenir shopping, and take a shower before dinner.

Either way, I'm going to need to eat something, so does anyone have recommendations (or places to avoid!) for a light lunch in the BC/YC/BW area? :goodvibes And any thoughts/suggestions on how you'd spend the time? I'm not really sure how much time to factor in for transportation to the MK from the BC, in spite of the fact that I've made the trip a dozen times. Guess I've always been too excited (or too tired) to take note of how much time the journey took. :rotfl:

Last summer our son was 2 1/2 and he used either our own Puddle Jumper or one of the resort's lifejackets. He started by going down the little slide on the backside of the Flying Jib. He wanted to keep up with his older siblings and had no trouble with the Flying Jib slide. One of us always went down ahead of him and made sure he was able to clear the bottom of the slide. We were not allowed to "catch" him, but we swam over to the side and just encouraged him to doggy paddle over to us. Your daughter should be fine. :thumbsup2

Thank you, I wasn't sure if they didn't want kids with life vests on there as it says to lie down when going down. Now I am pretty excited :thumbsup2

So, I'm back with part 3 of our mini trip report: Our Review of the YC Resort. We've been back for almost 3 weeks now and we miss it big time!

In a word, the YC was A W E S O M E

Here are some of the highlights:

SAB - I loved it, my DH loved it, and the kids (DS10 & DD13) loved it! We spent most of our time over by the slide exit. We never had a hard time getting chairs together, though most times we arrived before lunch or after dinner. We were surprised that they did not check room keys and issue wristbands after 5:00. The only thing that was a bit of a bummer was that we had told the kids all about the 'sinking sands' part of the pool, and the whole time we were there the volleyball net was up over the area that used to have the sinking sands. Not a huge deal though :) In my opinion, the best part of SAB is the atmosphere. It's such a beautiful pool. The landscaping is gorgeous. I love just sitting in a chair and taking in the surroundings.

Beaches & Cream - We ate there twice. The No-Way-Jose is to-die-for and totally worth the money! The burgers were decent. I had the Bleu Cheese burger and I thought it was good, but not as good as what you can get at a restaurant that really specializes in good burgers. If you eat at Beaches and Cream, definitely ask to be seated in Brian's section! He was awesome and (aside from Teena) he was the CM that, in our week there, most embodied the Disney spirit. Can't say enough nice things about him. Even my 10 year old son whispered in my ear as we were leaving, "we need to give him a really big tip!" It's the first time in my life my DH and I have ever left a 40% tip...he was that good!

Buses - Buses to the parks were generally good! But...We did take the dreaded DTD bus (Twice! :crazy2:) and it was as bad as you've all heard. The bus to DTD wasn't half bad, but the bus home...well you just have to go into it with really, really, really, really low expectations. Both trips home took over an hour. Both trips home involved a bus driver shift change. One trip home included a very hairy, sweaty man in a tank top standing right in front of my seat holding onto one of the overhead wrist straps :crazy2:. But, hey, if that's the biggest problem I had all week, who am I to complain?

Walking to Epcot - Love this!! The funny thing is....when we walked to Epcot, we always followed the herd up and over the hill / foot bridge and followed the sign that said "International Gateway". On our very last evening, as we were walking home, my DH says, "Hey, it looks like you can just follow the path along the water instead of going over the hill." I believe that will take you to the boat launch right at the International Gateway. So, we never got a chance to follow this path, but it looks like it would be more pleasant to walk along the water. Sort of felt like a doofus for not noticing it on day one!:rotfl: Here is a picture of the pathway:

Overall, our trip to the YC was wonderful!!! The whole area is just so beautiful! The landscaping and flowers...what can I say...see for yourself:

View of the Boardwalk from the beach:

What would you give to be sitting in this chair right now??:

Or, riding on one of these boats??:

Looking at these pictures makes me want to plan my next trip right now!!

Stay tuned for the last installment of our mini trip report: Trip Highlights from Around the World!

Reading your TR & the pics are getting me very excited for August. I can see myself in that chair :beach:
We always take that path along the water, it is quite pleasant
Eeew about the sweaty guy on the bus :scared:

Hi,

What's the best way to get from the BC to a monorail resort?

We have a lunch booked at the WL for 2pm one day and dinner at The Poly on a party night booked for 7pm.

I had just planned to get the BC bus to the MK and then the boat and monorail to the respective resorts.
I'm now thinking is it easier to walk/boat to DHS and then get the resort bus I need to the hotel?

Also does anyone know if the busses run from DHS to resorts at about 0800 for the same reasons, breakfast reservations or is that easier to go to MK first.

Thanks
I would take the bus to MK, then close by monorail entrance is the boat to Poly. It stops at GF, then Poly and is a nice ride over.

For WL, you can do one of 2 things, from MK bus loop it's about a 15 min walk to CR. walk to CR boat dock past the pool, they have a resort boat that goes to WL & FW. This also gives you the chance to visit CR, and check out the Concourse shopping ;). OR
From MK bus loop stroll over to the WL boat from MK.

You could of course do the walk over to DHS and hop on a resort bus, I just enjoy taking the boats over from mK. Very scenic!

Checking into the BC in 17 days! :banana: The banana really does not do justice to how excited I am.

DBF and I are flying in separately, so I'll have around 4 hours to myself that I just can't decide what to do with. Debating whether or not it'd be worth it to hit the MK for a little bit, just to go shopping and enjoy Main Street. We may not be able to get to the MK until our third day together, and I'm a sap who needs to see the train station and the castle to feel like I've arrived (DBF is less sentimental and doesn't care if I hit the parks without him, though I do have to wait for him to ride the Haunted Mansion). :rotfl: But if the room is ready when I check in, I'll probably just hang out in the BC/YC/BW area, unpack, do some souvenir shopping, and take a shower before dinner.

Either way, I'm going to need to eat something, so does anyone have recommendations (or places to avoid!) for a light lunch in the BC/YC/BW area? :goodvibes And any thoughts/suggestions on how you'd spend the time? I'm not really sure how much time to factor in for transportation to the MK from the BC, in spite of the fact that I've made the trip a dozen times. Guess I've always been too excited (or too tired) to take note of how much time the journey took. :rotfl:

That would be a hard choice, MK or hang around BC! Enjoy some time at SAB?
Hurricane Hanna would be a good place for lunch!

I would like to thank you all for your kind words it has been a challenge as I was his primary care giver . I am so looking forward to this vacation . He told me just a couple of weeks before he passed that we were going to see Mickey . He always was so happy to see me wearing anything Disney especially Mickey Mouse . :grouphug:

So sorry for your loss. My mom has Alzheimer's and I am her primary caregiver so I know what you have been through. Enjoy your vacation. It will make your dad proud!

We (I) debated and debated about the dining plan. I had it on my original reservation but after careful calculations I made a "final" decision to cancel it. WELL, the closer my trip got and the more menus I looked at I decided to add it about a week ago. My reasoning is probably very different than everyone else's but I know my DH will totally freak out at some of the prices of meals. I honestly think the dining plan will end up costing us a little more but it is going to be so worth that money if I don't have to deal with a grumpy DH! This is our first trip, so we will see how this works out. We don't usually drink soda with our meals (water or wine) or eat desserts and I am sure we will order some appetizers, soups and salads but we have some nice meals ($$$) planned and I don't want to deal with my DH bolting from the restaurant as soon as he sees the menu! Ha!

I am with you in this!!! I think the DDP will not save us at all but I think not having to see those prices will make my DH much happier. Lol

Welcome Home.....

My family is going to FLIP when we see these signs in a month and a half. Right now everyone thinks we're staying at Pop and then POR. :rotfl2: I've been putting different screensavers up on my desktop, and they are SOOO confused!

We have never been too fond of the lunch options at the BC. The BC Marketplace has a few things. You can also grab something at Hurricane Hannah's by the pool. Beaches and Cream is usually too crowded for us. We usually go into Epcot and eat lunch there.

If you want to head over the MK as soon as you get there the bus to MK from the BC will take you about 20 minutes or so. Or you can walk through Epcot and grab the monorail if you have park hoppers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter