• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2013 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ: Don't Post Here! New Thread Now Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just walk to the Swan and Dolphin (out the back door of the BC and make a right at the lake). There is a walkway in between the Swan and Dolphin that takes you to the golf. I would estimate 10 minutes.

Seriously??? We so went the wrong way. :rolleyes2

We had to cross the road and everythin. :crazy2:

Sorry - not sure how to do multiple quotes in one post yet.

I looked into Garden Grocer and I'm not sure that we will make it through a 12 pack. We are only there 6 nights and we are on the dining plan so I have a feeling that we are going to be stuffed as it is and I don't drink that much and we are planning on having some boat drinks at SAB.

How does the cost of the Gardern Grocer compare to using a personal shopping service? DD has a peanut allergy so I'm planning on packing most of our snacks but I think that we are going to need some juice boxes, water, cereal and yogurt once we get down there.

Garden Grocer has always been very good to us. We always get a case of water, I get sprite zero, greek yogurt, fruit and a few snacks for DH. They have been wonderful

I live in Syracuse, about 50 miles away from Rochester. And yes, i hate the drive to Orlando. 2 hrs vs. 25.... I'll take the flight anyday! :thumbsup2

Was planning on it :thumbsup2

I live in the Buffalo area and DH and I have done the drive several times. We leave around 2 or 3 pm and just drive straight through, however we fly most of the time now thanks to Southwest and their points... :thumbsup2
driving stinks, not so much the drive down but DH tells me I am absolutely not fun on the way home:confused3

Gotta love my husband. Yesterday he says, "Teena, I'm almost out of Vodka. Please book a cruise to St. Thomas ASAP." He thinks buying all his vodka in St. Thomas is cheaper than buying it in Florida (which it is of course but what about the price of the cruise).

So I couldn't not do what he says (only when it is about booking a cruise) ... we're sailing on the Fantasy in 10 days!!!!!!!!!

Anybody that will be at the Y&B 4/21 and 4/22, I'll now be off work and on the Fantasy. Sorry I'm going to miss you all.

Good for you Teena. Love the way Bob thinks . I am going to try this on DH tonight. I will tell him my tan is fading and we need to get to WDW asap:)

My DH, 5 month old DS and I plan to stay at the Yacht Cub mid-November. The hotel res has been made, we just need to see how flight prices shake out before we decide on the exact dates. But I am super excited! We know to take it easy and just enjoy our trip... We are Disney experienced, but never with a little baby, or even really young kids.... Any advice will be appreciated.

Can not wait to go to Disney World this year. My daughter has had a very rough year (she is 11). Her ankle started hurting in the summer (former gymnast and started doing all star cheer after she quit gymnastics). Her ankle was hurting off and on and by the end of September it was hurting almost every day.

Brought her to the ortho, X-rays and she was diagnosed with accessory navicular and posterior tibial tendonitis. Also known as navicular pain syndrome.

She has an extra bone on her navicular bone (bone that supports your arch) and this is causing the tendon to be inflamed.

She was put in a walking cast x 4 weeks followed by physical therapy. She quit All Star Cheer in November because the very mean coaches also had difficulty understanding what a doctor's excuse from tumbling/basing, etc.

Ankle felt better but never pain free through December. Started hurting with a vengence toward the end of January. Back to the ortho, this time we saw the Pedi ortho in the same group... He told me I was lucky my kid doesn't have leukemia :confused3 and that there is nothing to do it will probably feel better when she stops growing. (she was about 54" at the time so I think she has a ways to go with that). He told us to take her to CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia), but had no doc recommendation. When my daughter asked him for a note for gym he said, "you just loaf off in gym anyway, don't you?" Sad thing is, I used to work with him when he was a resident and he was nice back then. He is an arrogant cotton headed ninny muggins now...

We brought her to CHOP a few days later and they put her in an air cast/walking cam boot for 4-6 weeks. At 4 weeks her pain was worse and the ortho there said another 4 weeks. I told her uh... no... she is worse now, not better. So we got an appt 2 weeks later with the Ortho Surgeon at CHOP (well after a lot of phone calls we got the appt). He put her in a non-weight bearing cast (which is actually helping) for 5 weeks. She has been in it for a week and instead of a kid crying every night in pain (always worse in the evening when tired and she's walked on it all day) I have a kid annoyed by her cast. Of course, I'll take the latter....

His hope is that we will calm down that tendon and we can avoid surgery. His concern with the surgery is that he removes the bone and the tendonitis doesn't go away. Not likely but possible.

We go back to him on 5/9/13, hopefully he will remove her cast then. Then she will start physical therapy again. We leave for WDW on 5/17/13. She doesn't think she'll do the slide (which is saying a LOT) but should be able to enjoy the rest of SAB. If she is still in the cast... then she will wear her Drycast swim and make the best of things.

We already have our wheelchair rental reserved through apple scooter for a great rate. We of course will bring our crutches and just let her decide when she "crutches," if/when she does some touch down weight bearing and when she rides in the chair.

We were unable to get an accessible shower for our week at the Beach Club or our 2 nights at Jambo but we have this suction arm rail that attaches to the shower wall.

But either way, very excited to have some free time with family at our favorite Resort in our favorite place.

I just feel like we need this vacation more than the others.

To those of you that deal with children or any loved one really with pain or disabilities on a daily basis I salute you. It really is so hard to watch the ones you love get so frustrated and have pain.

I am a nurse and deal with suffering in my patients daily, but that is in a different place in my life kept very separate from my personal life.

Anyway, can't wait to get there and see Teena and the bell staff. Love those guys such a helpful wonderful group.

We just can NOT wait. 35 days but whose counting????

First, feeling a little sad as our APs expire today. Actually, four of our APs expire today. My husband skipped our WDW visit in April last year, so we purchased his AP in October. The irony here is that the non-Disney fan of our family still has a valid AP. And even more ironic is that fact that we're upgrading his WDW AP to a Premier Pass in August so that we can get the DL discounts! In the past, I've upgraded mine to Premier for DL, but the timing worked out differently this time.

Keep looking. If it's with Southwest, you can get the difference in the form of a credit if the price goes down. No fees either. I just booked four flights yesterday and used credits from past flights where prices had gone down after I booked them. Those credits helped bunches.

Love Southwest for this reason. Even though it's a credit instead of a refund, it's similar to a room-only reservation at Disney, because I'm comfortable booking knowing that I can take advantage of discounts that pop up later!

For what it's worth, I would probably take the bus to POFQ. There is only one stop and they don't share with POR for AK. Then you are super close to DTD and can either jump on the bus or (my preference) take a 5 minute walk to the boat launch and take the boat... It's a lovely ride if its a nice night. If you are going from AK it will be fairly early and you get a little peak at SSR and the Treehouses as well as POFQ. Either way it's probably your most direct route to DTD! Hope that helps!!

I like the idea of POFQ/boat launch - sounds like a relaxing way to get there! Has anyone tried to get a cab direct from AK to DTD? If no cabs, we'd go with the POFQ boat launch idea, or maybe bus to AK and cab from there to DTD.

natebenma said:
I know I still need to go through the past few (10 plus) pages of the thread to welcome any newcomers, but I'm not going to get a chance this morning... so

generic :welcome: to anyone who is new to the thread- I'll give you an individual greeting and add you to the Be Our Guest list soon.

To those leaving in the next few days- I know there are a lot of you, especially my northeast neighbors on school break:

Wishing fantastic trips to you all!!!

Dee

Yay!! I'm one of them! I've been looking forward to this trip more than any other recently! I think it's because this is one of the few trips that I'm not pregnant or nursing! I can hit all the rides, and perhaps indulge in a sunken treasure (or two)!!

Have only eaten at Brown Derby (and that was back in the 90's!!), but this year we are planning on trying Yachtsman since I am traveling with 2 carnivores.

I'd pick Brown Derby over Yachtsman although I like them both.

Yachtsmann pixiedust:

:thumbsup2 Ok the count is 2 for Yachtman & 1 for Brown Derby! Decisions, decisions!

You have to go to a hotel and transfer.

When I wanted to do this a few years ago, I went into Guest Relations at Animal Kingdom Park and asked how to get to Downtown Disney. They said there is no direct bus. They said that the best bus to take is Coronado Springs. I had thought the best option would be Animal Kingdom Lodge. They said no because there are two bus stops within Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I waited for the Coronado Springs bus. Some people got out of the line and switched to a different line, but I didn't think much of it.

I got on the Coronado Springs bus. I was surprised to discover that I had to stay on for 2 stops before getting off to wait for the Downtown Disney bus. I asked the bus driver. The bus driver said that’s why other people got out of line for the Coronado Springs bus and got in line for a different bus.

I never did find out which hotel would be the best.

It's like planning a flight - you want to go from Animal Kingdom Park to Downtown Disney with just one stop and a short layover. You don't want multiple stops. But you also don't want each leg of the trip to be too long just to avoid the multiple stops.

My aunt & I arrive @ 11:30a @ MCO, our plans to check in (hope rooms available, if not that's ok) & go to AK as that's a quicker park to me. So then I was trying to figure out dinner plans & not really wanting dinner at AK so I thought about going to another hotel for dinner or DTD. I'm worried that DTD may be too ambitious on a travel day with my aunt who have never been to Disney nor even FL! Maybe it's better to just go to a hotel :confused3 (maybe AKL?) for dinner & take a cab back to hotel & get good nights rest? If it was DH & I, we'd be all about DTD!

What a great day....today's my birthday and we are leaving in 10 days. Teena did I read that your off on a cruise....we are there from 4/21 - 4/27.

:bday: Disdad01!

For what it's worth, I would probably take the bus to POFQ. There is only one stop and they don't share with POR for AK. Then you are super close to DTD and can either jump on the bus or (my preference) take a 5 minute walk to the boat launch and take the boat... It's a lovely ride if its a nice night. If you are going from AK it will be fairly early and you get a little peak at SSR and the Treehouses as well as POFQ. Either way it's probably your most direct route to DTD! Hope that helps!!

This is a great idea too! Where do you go to get on boat launch? Again I wonder:scratchin if I'm being to ambitious on travel day to go to DTD. I want to show my aunt everything, but I need to reel myself in a bit, I have to tell myself that we can't do everything!!

:thumbsup2 Ok the count is 2 for Yachtman & 1 for Brown Derby! Decisions, decisions!

My aunt & I arrive @ 11:30a @ MCO, our plans to check in (hope rooms available, if not that's ok) & go to AK as that's a quicker park to me. So then I was trying to figure out dinner plans & not really wanting dinner at AK so I thought about going to another hotel for dinner or DTD. I'm worried that DTD may be too ambitious on a travel day with my aunt who have never been to Disney nor even FL! Maybe it's better to just go to a hotel :confused3 (maybe AKL?) for dinner & take a cab back to hotel & get good nights rest? If it was DH & I, we'd be all about DTD!

:bday: Disdad01!

This is a great idea too! Where do you go to get on boat launch? Again I wonder:scratchin if I'm being to ambitious on travel day to go to DTD. I want to show my aunt everything, but I need to reel myself in a bit, I have to tell myself that we can't do everything!!

If you go to POFQ by bus then you go through the lobby and out to the resort grounds. You just walk straight back past the pool and the boat launch is a bit to the right... About a 3 minute walk from the lobby. It is a quaint little resort and I truly love but for its size. Enjoy!!

If you go to POFQ by bus then you go through the lobby and out to the resort grounds. You just walk straight back past the pool and the boat launch is a bit to the right... About a 3 minute walk from the lobby. It is a quaint little resort and I truly love but for its size. Enjoy!!

Thank you!:thumbsup2

Can not wait to go to Disney World this year. My daughter has had a very rough year (she is 11). Her ankle started hurting in the summer (former gymnast and started doing all star cheer after she quit gymnastics). Her ankle was hurting off and on and by the end of September it was hurting almost every day.

Brought her to the ortho, X-rays and she was diagnosed with accessory navicular and posterior tibial tendonitis. Also known as navicular pain syndrome.

She has an extra bone on her navicular bone (bone that supports your arch) and this is causing the tendon to be inflamed.

She was put in a walking cast x 4 weeks followed by physical therapy. She quit All Star Cheer in November because the very mean coaches also had difficulty understanding what a doctor's excuse from tumbling/basing, etc.

Ankle felt better but never pain free through December. Started hurting with a vengence toward the end of January. Back to the ortho, this time we saw the Pedi ortho in the same group... He told me I was lucky my kid doesn't have leukemia :confused3 and that there is nothing to do it will probably feel better when she stops growing. (she was about 54" at the time so I think she has a ways to go with that). He told us to take her to CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia), but had no doc recommendation. When my daughter asked him for a note for gym he said, "you just loaf off in gym anyway, don't you?" Sad thing is, I used to work with him when he was a resident and he was nice back then. He is an arrogant cotton headed ninny muggins now...

We brought her to CHOP a few days later and they put her in an air cast/walking cam boot for 4-6 weeks. At 4 weeks her pain was worse and the ortho there said another 4 weeks. I told her uh... no... she is worse now, not better. So we got an appt 2 weeks later with the Ortho Surgeon at CHOP (well after a lot of phone calls we got the appt). He put her in a non-weight bearing cast (which is actually helping) for 5 weeks. She has been in it for a week and instead of a kid crying every night in pain (always worse in the evening when tired and she's walked on it all day) I have a kid annoyed by her cast. Of course, I'll take the latter....

His hope is that we will calm down that tendon and we can avoid surgery. His concern with the surgery is that he removes the bone and the tendonitis doesn't go away. Not likely but possible.

We go back to him on 5/9/13, hopefully he will remove her cast then. Then she will start physical therapy again. We leave for WDW on 5/17/13. She doesn't think she'll do the slide (which is saying a LOT) but should be able to enjoy the rest of SAB. If she is still in the cast... then she will wear her Drycast swim and make the best of things.

We already have our wheelchair rental reserved through apple scooter for a great rate. We of course will bring our crutches and just let her decide when she "crutches," if/when she does some touch down weight bearing and when she rides in the chair.

We were unable to get an accessible shower for our week at the Beach Club or our 2 nights at Jambo but we have this suction arm rail that attaches to the shower wall.

But either way, very excited to have some free time with family at our favorite Resort in our favorite place.

To those of you that deal with children or any loved one really with pain or disabilities on a daily basis I salute you. It really is so hard to watch the ones you love get so frustrated and have pain.

I am a nurse and deal with suffering in my patients daily, but that is in a different place in my life kept very separate from my personal life.

Anyway, can't wait to get there and see Teena and the bell staff. Love those guys such a helpful wonderful group.

Oh your poor DD, sorry she has been going through that. It is heartbreaking to see our kiddos in pain. It does sound like this is a much needed vacation!
We may cross paths! We are there May 15 - 20.

suemom2kay said:
Unless Bob runs out of vodka again. :rotfl2:

LOL

suemom2kay said:

So sorry to hear about your daughter's pain. How difficult for her. I hope the current plan works and that your trip is truly magical.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I haven't managed to read the thread for a few days, so I just paid the appropriate price of having to try to read all the posts to catch up. There is lots going on right now - lots of potential for some great meet ups, and some great potential for doses of some BC medicine to treat the things life is throwing people's way. I hope everyone gets the trip they need! :goodvibes

I need to keep this short so I can be the first to hop in the shower and then torture the teen with a nice good morning kiss, but I did want to post one thing....

I'm definitely in for the Jimmy Buffet meet up! :beach: :drinking1 (yet another post where I wish there was a GG Slushie emoticon)

We're in single digits today! :cool1: Thanks to this thread, I am even more eager to experience the YC, if even for one night. :thumbsup2 (this is a "scouting" visit to see how we like it for future stays)

Tomorrow....tomorrow...tomorrow...

We leave tomorrow!

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help, tips, advice. Thanks to you we feel totally prepared to have a great vacation! :worship:

Sorry to hear about all you are going through with your daughter. Our family is also going through some health issues as my 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

I certainly feel your pain and know exactly what it's like to REALLY need a WDW vacation!! I'm jealous that you are only 35 days out!!

I wish you the absolutely best trip of your lives!!

Jay

suemom2kay So sorry your daughter is having problems. That's tough on a mom!!

Glad you all have a trip to look forward to :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter