• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2012 Marching Band Season -- it's almost here!

Good luck to all marching today! So cool that we have such awesome bands represented here!

Veterans Day parade this morning and Band Banquet tonight. I LOVE the Band Banquet! The kids give awards to each other...its great fun!

Christmas parade in a few weeks, then I will b done messing with uniforms until March, when they go to Ireland!

There were so many excellent shows yesterday that I don't envy the judges who had to pick just 10 for the finals. For me personally, Marcus was the very clear winner, but from there it seemed like the very thinnest of threads separating so many of the other bands.

We made finals, but our kids are so worn out. Not much of a chance to recover either since they leave for Grand Nats today. I hope they get their second wind.

Congratulations to your band! To make state with that many freshman is truly impressive.

My daughter is in the Marcus band and we were so proud of them for winning state. Those kids (and us parents ) put a lot of work in.

Congrats to Marcus. I have been following them because my friends niece was the colorguard captain last year.

Congrats to James Bowie for making finals! I am sad that I never was in the stadium at the right time to see their performance.

We are finally home from BOA Grand Nationals. The band qualified for semifinals but we didn't place in our class. :( I am so glad that they were able to perform the show one last time this morning though.

Wow, what a day! We finished 6th for our best placement so far at Grand Nats. So proud and excited for our kids. They had the second best music ensemble score behind Carmel! Congratulations to Avon on their 3rd place finish. I wish Marcus had been there this year though because I think they could have given Carmel a run for their money.

I am guessing this thread will start to die off now until we all start gearing up for next year. Good luck to everyone traveling to bowl games and parades! Hope everyone has a great concert season.

Wow, what a day! We finished 6th for our best placement so far at Grand Nats. So proud and excited for our kids. They had the second best music ensemble score behind Carmel! Congratulations to Avon on their 3rd place finish. I wish Marcus had been there this year though because I think they could have given Carmel a run for their money.

I am guessing this thread will start to die off now until we all start gearing up for next year. Good luck to everyone traveling to bowl games and parades! Hope everyone has a great concert season.

Congratulations!! I think we need to start a winterguard thread for all the guard moms! Only about ten weeks until our first competition.

Congrats to you too! They had a great show!

Now on to indoor percussion...it never stops :)

No, it's not going to die off yet. Not until we hear how you guys do during finals. You have a bunch of Central Texas band families rooting for you and hoping you do well!

012.jpg
[/IMG]

011.jpg

010.jpg

Thanks so much for the pictures! I am sad that BOA doesn't have an on demand video for the awards ceremony. I would have liked to watch it again when I wasn't so nervous. They will be back at Grand Nats for my DD's senior year and I will be there in person for that one. :)

I am so glad my daughter decided against color guard. I think concert band will be more than enough to handle for the rest of the year.

I really wanted to participate more in this thread this year and last years but the band director is very, very clear that NO ONE post on any board about the band. I knew I would be tempted to post so I did not keep up with this thread. I would have learned a lot as I still don't understand as much as I want to.
I guess the kids/parents get the opportunity to buy a state ring. DD thinks she wants one. She already has a beautiful diamond and gold ring that she does not wear, and gold prices are hideous but... Obviously not with the odds that
Marcus will win state in 2 years.
I am on my iPad but if you go to You Tube and Search for Marcus High School Band 2012 you can see the show. I have seen the show at least 10 times and just realized from the YT video tha is spelled out Bach at one point. Lol!

Based on the cheering I heard during awards, I think the band in red may be James Bowie.

043.jpg

Thanks so much for the pictures! I am sad that BOA doesn't have an on demand video for the awards ceremony. I would have liked to watch it again when I wasn't so nervous. .

I asked about this; it is being edited and will be up by tomorrow.

Based on the cheering I heard during awards, I think the band in red may be James Bowie.

043.jpg

That is them! Those are our summer uniform shirts and I recognize some of the parents.

I asked about this; it is being edited and will be up by tomorrow.

That is great news. My DD spent quite a bit of time last night watching more of the bands on demand (as well as their own performance). I think we will get a good bit of use out of our subscription.

m&m's mom we are in the same boat as far as posting/talking about our band online. They aren't militant about it, but they do discourage it so I didn't jump in here until the season was pretty much over and the whole show had been seen.

M&Ms mom' - congrats to your band! Great season, I am going to have to look at the video, since I was busy chaperoning at state contest to see many bands. Last year's show was so beautiful, I'm not sure how you could top that - but I know you did! We were at James Madison High School practicing before your band arrived for lunch. Seeing your parents arrive with trays and trays of food from black eyed pea, a few of us chaperones wished we could attach ourselves to your band! Our food moms work very hard and we appreciate them - but all of that food looked so good after a plain Chik Fil A sandwich.

Beavis mom - Congrats to your kids as well - hope y'all can get a some well deserved rest after the whirlwind week! James Bowie kids will always have a special place in my heart after last year's BOA Atlanta contest. As a tailing "safety" chaperone, I walked onto the stadium behind our band as they took the field for their finals performance. As our kids' entered, I heard the Bowie kids singing - "Deep in the Heart of Texas" in a show of support. It was awesome!

Hi All! I'm digging up our old thread with a question. Who has gone to Super Regional Contest in St. Louis? I see our band is attending this year and I've decided to go, but not as a chaperon. DH, DS13 and I will go on our own and watch. I will still help with uniforms, but I won't be "with" the band.

What hotel do you suggest? Embassy Suites looks close and I always like their hotels. I can't remember where our kids stayed when they went 2 yrs ago, but I know it wasn't Embassy Suites. I'm thinking of booking a room now, getting it out of the way.

DS17 is about to graduate and probably hang up the Tuba for a while. He has no interest in Marching Band in college. Luckily DS15 will be marching with his sousaphone and DS13 is close behind, a percussionist.

Thanks All!

Hi All! I'm digging up our old thread with a question. Who has gone to Super Regional Contest in St. Louis? I see our band is attending this year and I've decided to go, but not as a chaperon. DH, DS13 and I will go on our own and watch. I will still help with uniforms, but I won't be "with" the band.

What hotel do you suggest? Embassy Suites looks close and I always like their hotels. I can't remember where our kids stayed when they went 2 yrs ago, but I know it wasn't Embassy Suites. I'm thinking of booking a room now, getting it out of the way.

DS17 is about to graduate and probably hang up the Tuba for a while. He has no interest in Marching Band in college. Luckily DS15 will be marching with his sousaphone and DS13 is close behind, a percussionist.

Thanks All!

I live in the St. Louis area. Where is the competition? I wonder if our band is going to this??? I would be glad to help with any questions :)

I live in the St. Louis area. Where is the competition? I wonder if our band is going to this??? I would be glad to help with any questions :)

Hi! Here is the link for the contest. Check and see if your school is on the list!
http://www.musicforall.org/what-we-do/marching/regionals/st-louis-super-regional

It is at the Edward Jones Dome. It looks like the Embassy Suites is within walking distance. Is it? Any other info about the area? Are there restaurants, in that area?

Thanks!

I miss this thread!! I miss marching season...

'Tis the season for Fall band placement decisions... Anyone's band kid heard back yet?? Mine is hoping to get moved up to the next tier, which would be the second-to-highest tier. They had the UIL sight-reading competition a few weeks ago and got all 1's at that, so they're happy. And the Spring concert was a couple of weeks ago also -- sorry, Mom brag ahead! -- my sax player had a solo, which made me a very proud mama. :goodvibes I did restrain myself from running up on stage and hugging him, so there's that. He failed to see the momentous-ness of that, but I know you guys would understand. :laughing:

They got their letter jackets for marching band... DS would sleep in his if I let him, LOL. He said it makes him realize he really is almost a Senior. And he said that he can't believe Freshman band camp starts this week -- he said he feels like that was him just last month or something. Luckily he has until July before regular band camp starts -- as much as he loves marching, he is very happy this will be his last summer of 100+ degree days marching around that parking lot! :faint:

Just wanted to check in with my fellow band-parent buds! Hope everyone and their band kids are well! :grouphug:

-gina-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter