2012 Marching Band Season -- it's almost here!

Aw, congrats on your DS's solo! It always amazes me how kids can get up there in front of everyone and play. I don't think I could do it!!

I know that our band structure is a lot different than the rest of yours, so sometimes I feel a bit like a fish out of water around here- but...

Band is essentially over for my DS18. He has his Senior Band Dinner tonight, and then they march in the Memorial Day Parade next Monday. Uniforms get turned in after the parade, and then they are having a retirement picnic for the director. These past few weeks have been bittersweet. The spring band concert was an enormous success- 2 nights and well over 1000 people in attendance both nights. The assistant band director planned a special tribute for the band director since he is retiring, and many alumni came back to perform. One of the most notable is Jimmy Delgrosso, who was the drummer for Ozzy, Alice Cooper and Megadeath, amongst others. He played with our kids, and offered up an amazing solo! Wow! Also in attendance at these concerts was the president of the Rose Bowl Parade, and he presented the official flag to the band officers. We are headed there in December :)

My DS14 is an incoming freshman, and they already had their first practice for the 2013-2014 band last week. He is excited, although slightly overwhelmed. He was given the music for snare drum, which is a pretty big deal for a freshman. They usually get cymbals or bass drum- the whole "pay your dues" thing. Our summer band camp starts in August, when they will pull double practices for the first week, and then when school starts, practice every early morning, and every Sunday afternoon until the Rose Parade. They will be marching 320 this year!

In the meantime, we are busy selling everything under the sun to raise money for this trip. His quota is $2700- so we are also saving our pennies. Not sure we can raise the whole thing selling candy bars, flowers and pizza :scratchin

A side note about our retiring band director- he is only the third director in the history of the band- which started around 1934. Our current assistant director has been there for 22 years, and will now be the director. I think that this gives a great idea of the rich history and community support of our band.

DS18 is officially finished with Band! The Spring Concert was last week. It was awesome and Tuba Dude even had a (short) solo! That happens only when the Director was a tuba player himself! They give out a few awards and both DS18 and DS15 got one! We were really surprised! Usually they only go to students on the "Leadership Team", which neither of my boys have ANY interest in joining.

Both boys made 1s on their solos at Contest this Spring. Our band marches everyone, so there are no auditions or anything like that. I take that back, percussion has auditions, and it has happened already for next year, but results have not been announced. DS13 will be in 8th grade this year. So this time next year he will audition for Drum Line! We did solicit lessons from the new Percussion Director over the summer, to help prepare him for next May!

DS18 may play in some ensemble and Concert Band at University. He hates marching and had ZERO interest in joining the marching band.

We measured some of our biggest students for new uniforms for next year. Thsi year they looked sloppy in jackets that were proportionately off! We will have some uniform work over the summer.

Our Marching Band camp doesn't start until late July. DS15 will attend Concert Band Camp in early July! Go Band!

DS18 may play in some ensemble and Concert Band at University. He hates marching and had ZERO interest in joining the marching band.

Sounds like my DS18! When we went to accepted students day at the college he is attending, he went to the "music" table to inquire about a capella groups. We got to talking with the guy there, who happened to be the marching band director. He attempted, unsuccessfully, to recruit DS. DS wants no part of that. He loved it in HS, but to go from a huge band of almost 300, to a band of about 100- well, he said "no thanks". However, they do have a couple of jazz ensembles, and I think one of them is a "just show up" type of thing, so he is not ready to sell his trumpet yet. He might give the jazz group a try if he has the time. His first love, though, is singing. :)

Looking forward to our school marching on Monday in D.C. So excited. BTW, if anyone is interested in watching the national parade, you can watch it online at www.virtualbootsontheground.com.

Big changes coming to our program next year. New marching band director -- the kids are very happy about that. After the current director announced no marching band at all next year, they got someone else to step in and take over. Will be interesting to see how it goes because so many of our band and color guard members are graduating this year. We have a very small group to begin with (maybe 50), and that will pair down considerably. Hopefully they'll get a lot of new blood in and DD will have a fantastic senior year on guard.

It's amazing how they couldn't all wait for band/guard season to be over. And yet they've been complaining their bored and can't wait for it to start up again now that they've had a few weeks' break. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Good luck to everyone's children and schools in the coming year!

I just did a search yesterday to see if someone had started a 2013 Marching band season thread! I enjoyed last years so much! This will be dd's third year, I just can't believe she will be a junior! Our banquet was last week, where they annnounced our theme for 2013...it's going to be an exciting year!! Tonight is the final band concert of the year. Then we will play at graduation. Band camp begins at the end of July.

Should we start a new 2013 thread? I'd love to hear what everyone's themes are and sharing this season with you all!:cool1:

Well we've already gotten our schedule for most of next year. Now I'll have a senior and a freshman in marching band. They have a meet and greet scheduled for tomorrow where they will learn basic marching and since this is the last week of school, next tuesday from 10 to 4 is mini band camp. I'm not sure where the year went, but here we go back into the thick of things again!

Marcy ~ I know that is a *huge* deal to get snare as a Freshman! Your DS must be so excited!! The parade sounds so exciting. And WOW at how long the band directors stick around... Definitely shows how important y'alls band program is.

Katy Belle ~ Congrats to Tuba Dude on the solo! And my DS is the same way about the leadership thing -- zero desire. He was thinking he was going to try for it anyway just to have that all-important "leadership" entry on his college app, but now that's not necessary and he's very happy to not be doing it, lol.

PrincessKsMom ~ That is amazing that y'all get to go march in that parade in D.C... what an honor!

Priorityonecb ~ I think they usually start up the new thread in late summer? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember. But now or later, either way is good, as long as we have a home! :-)

I just can't believe this is our last marching season... I am both excited and dreading Senior Night the first week of September. That's the football game where the team, the band, the colorguard, and the cheerleaders each walk across the field with whatever family members they choose. Their name is announced, along with the college they're intending to go to. I'm just not ready for it all to be over! I know this is crazy, but for the past several years, so much of my identity has been wrapped up in the title of "Band Mom." Band has taken up SO much of our time and focus, and I've been very happy with that identity. I really think I need to meet someone before he goes to college, or I'm going to become the crazy cat lady, lol. :rolleyes:

Any of you with graduating Seniors feel that way now?

I'm just not ready for it all to be over! I know this is crazy, but for the past several years, so much of my identity has been wrapped up in the title of "Band Mom." Band has taken up SO much of our time and focus, and I've been very happy with that identity. I really think I need to meet someone before he goes to college, or I'm going to become the crazy cat lady, lol. :rolleyes:

I know BOA has several long term seasonal volunteers that are band parents whose kids graduated long ago. Don't they have a regional in Pearland (or I think they did at one time?) You could volunteer for that in coming years to get that band mom nostalgia. :)

I just can't believe this is our last marching season... I am both excited and dreading Senior Night the first week of September. That's the football game where the team, the band, the colorguard, and the cheerleaders each walk across the field with whatever family members they choose. Their name is announced, along with the college they're intending to go to. I'm just not ready for it all to be over! I know this is crazy, but for the past several years, so much of my identity has been wrapped up in the title of "Band Mom." Band has taken up SO much of our time and focus, and I've been very happy with that identity. I really think I need to meet someone before he goes to college, or I'm going to become the crazy cat lady, lol. :rolleyes:

It's the same at our Homecoming. All the seniors and their family are announced and presented with flowers before the big game. I'm not ready for anything that's coming my way this year. :rotfl: Just had junior prom on Friday, got out senior portraits back from photographer...it's all becoming too real. :grouphug:

We got the schedule for next year and the kids are so excited for the theme for next year. We still have the spring concert and banquet still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter