2012 Marching Band Season -- it's almost here!

I wish I had seen this sooner because we were there this weekend, too. Roasting in the stands during the day and then freezing in the evening after the cold front moved in. But it was so worth it because my DGM got to watch DS march live for the first time. (I wouldn't let her sit with me all day and watch all the bands so she just came out for the finals.)

Darn, I would have loved to meet you! We had a mid afternoon time slot and it was hot. I hauled equipment, tailing the front ensemble during warm ups and then on and off the field. After we finished, I stayed in the shade against the wall and listened to the bands and the finals announcements. I just couldn't bring myself to go sit in the stands and roast some more. There was a nice, cool breeze where I was sitting.

The kids got poured upon friday night. They were released after they did a standstill half time show and Senior awards. DD was soaked to the bone. Made her jump into a hot shower. She threw on her camo pink footie pj's and curled up on the sofa with me. She was out like a light.

We ended up 6th out of the 8 bands in our class. Everybody said that they love the show and not sure why it's not getting better scores from the judges. What we are being told, is that they - other parents - like it because it tells a story. There are other shows, that don't make a whole lot of sense.

Band got 3rd place out of 4 bands in our group, but we got Best Percussion (DD’s section).

Also, they had the highest percussion score of ALL bands in all groups. They were the only ones with visuals, and we heard the crowd “wow” during their primary part.

Our trumpets need some work, and the 2nd movement needs some cleaning. Next competition is Saturday…hoping for improvement.

Katy Belle said:
I'm exhausted. Was in the band room by 9a.m., getting uniforms ready for the truck. Crawled in bed at 2 a.m., long Day!

I got to meet Haunted Mansion Momma in real life! Her school got 7th place and our school got 10th! So proud of the kids. Still irritated with the electronics/volume not working well. It is getting better.

So much fun to meet you!!! I need to work on getting our pic on here somehow...

BOA in St. Louis in 2 weeks- anyone going? Would u like to meet a crazy person (me) who will scream and jump up and down and take a pic with u? LOL! What's more exciting; marching band competition or meeting a fellow disser ??!

:)

Everybody said that they love the show and not sure why it's not getting better scores from the judges. What we are being told, is that they - other parents - like it because it tells a story. There are other shows, that don't make a whole lot of sense.

Very common complaint about band shows and DCI. It's because the judges are looking for more technically precise things, rather than entertainment value.

So much fun to meet you!!! I need to work on getting our pic on here somehow...

BOA in St. Louis in 2 weeks- anyone going? Would u like to meet a crazy person (me) who will scream and jump up and down and take a pic with u? LOL! What's more exciting; marching band competition or meeting a fellow disser ??!

:)

You are adorable! I hope someone else gets to meet you! I have no idea how to post pictures! We went to St. Louis last year, but not this year!

It was 28F when the kids started rehearsal this morning! Ten were wearing shorts! Silly kids!

Since we had our Pizza and Pops concert monday night, marching band didn't practice, instead we had a long night last night. Got to watch about the last 1/2 hour. And as is seems to be the normal for us, even with a new director, lets check of the must does before regionals.

Add a pre-show. Last year from the get go, we had a preshow that everybody raved about. Guess we needed to add that back into the show.

Change pages 1 thru 5 and 8 thru 11 of the opener. Still working on GC blocking for pages 3 and 4.

Change pages 16 thru 26 of the ballad. Mostly just the guard.

Change pages 42 thru 49 and 55 thru 60 of the closer. Huge change to the ending of the show.

Oh yea. Having just a castle tower isn't enough. Lets add 6 castle walls. I guess that was a part of the plan from the begining, but they just got them done. The only problem is, where the walls go, it completly blocks out the girls at the end with the 9 foot flag poles. You can see two girls completly, but nothing but the tops of the 6 other flags. Need to figure that blocking out. Lose the walls or move the girls.

And it is amazing how well the kids roll with these changes. If they threw that many changes at me, I don't know if I could get it memorized and clean in 4 days. They learned the changes in the 1st half of practice yeasterday and there weren't a whole lot of oppsies in the night practice.

OH NO!!! :(

DS hasn't been feeling well lately. He went to school yesterday (Monday was a teacher in-service day) because he said he felt OK, but had called me by mid-day to say he was going downhill fast. This morning he asked to stay home, so DH took him to the doctor.

It's walking pneumonia. :sick:

Hopefully he will be up to marching Saturday. No game Friday, so that's good. The competition Saturday is a small local one so it's not a "biggie" but would be good practice for him.

So many of the band kids have had this lately that one of the moms suggested we rename it Marching Pneumonia instead.

well, our 3rd and final competition of the season is saturday. i'm almost sad that marching season is winding down; i'll miss seeing my mom band friends 2-3 days per week. :( our football team stinks, we're 1-5, so there's NO way we'll be going to the playoffs.

BUT, our concession stand coordinator came up with great shirts! on the front they say "HB Band Mom" (HB is the abbreviation for our high school) and on the back, they say "pickle rolling, pepper packing, nacho making, concession selling..." HAHAHAHA! i can't wait to get my shirt tomorrow! i'm going to wear it to the football game!

Duchie - praying your son gets well soon!

What a wierd weekend! Many people were scratching their heads trying to figure out where the scores came from.

ISSMA does not give out number scores at competitions or placement rankings - until state - you just get a gold, silver, or broze rating. Your scores have to fall in certain score range to get your color rating. Why they do it this way...who knows. It's a running joke about how secretive they try and make it all out to be. By the end of practice today, once the directors talk to the kids, everybody will know what the scores were and once you put those in order, you know who placed 1st, 2nd.....

This scoring system we are use to but, the rankings that they handed out at the north regional is what has the fans trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

There were 14 bands in the north regional fighting for the 10 spots to semi-state. Rankings were 7 gold and 7 silver. 7 silver at regions - :confused3
When you compair that to the south, which had 16 bands and 14 got a gold rating and only 2 got silver, it makes people - once again - question the judges scores.

There is a history of judges favoring south bands. Prior to 2008, we never had a semi-state. It was always the top 5 bands from the north and south regionals met at state. But beacuse the powers to be within ISSMA - who's headquaters is in a city that is in the south region and many of the people who are a part of the ISSMA governing body have/had kids (some grandkids) that march for schools in the south region - felt that there were too many good southern bands getting the shaft by not getting to state by their being a limit of just 5 from each region getting to go to state.

So in 2008, they created semi-state. With there being a semi-state competition, it now has the top 10 bands from each regional competing for the 10 slots at state. So in that first year, 2008, the bands qualifing for state it was 7 south bands and 3 north bands. Everybody said, told you what they were trying to do. 2009, it was 5 and 5. Ok, last year was a fluke and it'll even itself out back to the way it was. 2010, it was 6/4 and 2011 it was 7/3, with a south lean. Once again, people were pointing out that there is a southern preference in the judging.

Now you throw the judges scores from this past weekend and it's further making people question, how the northern bands are being judged. And it was a northern band only competition. It will be an interesting 2 weeks leading up to semi-state, listening to the discussions of the judging.

Our football team won their first game on Friday night, and what a game it was! They won by a field goal with 3.2 seconds left on the clock!! Of course, they were whooping it up and everyone ran on the field, and they were slapped with a penalty for excessive celebration. :confused3 Hey refs, you'd be celebrating too if it was your first win of the season! The win was also against a better team in the league, which makes it even more meaningful :)

Of course, the band was awesome as ever- and the kids were so into this game :)

They had to be at school bright and early the next morning (6am) to travel to a parade. My DS said the parade was long (3 miles) and slow. They had to keep stopping. I guess that gets annoying- when they have to stand at parade rest for a while, several times. They were back home by 1:30, and then he slept for a few hours. They were on charter buses, but I guess nobody was sleeping, so he was tired....

Away game this Friday night.... getting closer to the end of the season!

We had homecoming Friday night. What a horrible day. Band was horrible (out of sync with each other and the amps went out), color guard was horrible (dropped flags and rifles/all out of sync), and the football team lost 35-0. One good thing -- homecoming King was a band kid! Everyone was so excited for him. Sweetest kid (from what DD tells me). He beat out something like 9 or 10 other boys!!!! So nice to see someone who wouldn't traditionally be thought of as popular win. :cheer2::cheer2:

We also had our local Columbus Day parade yesterday. Apparently that went well and the kids enjoyed themselves. Beautiful 70 degree weather. Perfect!

We've only had one competition this year and we were the only ones in the division. We have one more competition this Saturday and then state championships at Rutgers Unversity November 4. Sounds like a train wreck to me. The director has cancelled (whether by choice or because of the weather) a few of their performances in the past and they're still working on routines. :scared: But I'll be there cheering on the band and wishing them well! I hope he lets them stay and watch some of the other bands.

And BTW, has anyone seen the Ohio State marching band video where they did the video games show?! OMG fantastic, stunning, unbelieveable! :cheer2::cool1::thumbsup2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhKxROFHtHs

well, our final competition was this past saturday. our feature twirler got a 2, so that knocked us out of contention for best in class (must have straight 1s); but, our band got 1s in every other category and our drum major got best in class! :banana:

i am completely and totally exhausted from 3 competition weekends in a row; but, in a way, i'm sad it's over. only 3 more football games (no chance we'll make playoffs, LOL, football team is 1-6) and then band season will be over. :(

however, then it will be time to start learning the music for the sugar bowl! :banana:

we've got a parent meeting about the trip tomorrow night, and i'm super excited for the kids!

One good thing -- homecoming King was a band kid! Everyone was so excited for him. Sweetest kid (from what DD tells me). He beat out something like 9 or 10 other boys!!!! So nice to see someone who wouldn't traditionally be thought of as popular win. :cheer2::cheer2:

We had a bunch of band kids on the Homecoming Court this year. Homecoming Queen was a band girl- but she is also really involved in a lot of other stuff. But it was really nice to see so many band kids were nominated. I know that band kids do not carry the "stigma" in our school that band kids at other schools do, which is really a good thing :)

What a wierd weekend! Many people were scratching their heads trying to figure out where the scores came from.

ISSMA does not give out number scores at competitions or placement rankings - until state - you just get a gold, silver, or broze rating. Your scores have to fall in certain score range to get your color rating. Why they do it this way...who knows. It's a running joke about how secretive they try and make it all out to be. By the end of practice today, once the directors talk to the kids, everybody will know what the scores were and once you put those in order, you know who placed 1st, 2nd.....

This scoring system we are use to but, the rankings that they handed out at the north regional is what has the fans trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

There were 14 bands in the north regional fighting for the 10 spots to semi-state. Rankings were 7 gold and 7 silver. 7 silver at regions - :confused3
When you compair that to the south, which had 16 bands and 14 got a gold rating and only 2 got silver, it makes people - once again - question the judges scores.

There is a history of judges favoring south bands. Prior to 2008, we never had a semi-state. It was always the top 5 bands from the north and south regionals met at state. But beacuse the powers to be within ISSMA - who's headquaters is in a city that is in the south region and many of the people who are a part of the ISSMA governing body have/had kids (some grandkids) that march for schools in the south region - felt that there were too many good southern bands getting the shaft by not getting to state by their being a limit of just 5 from each region getting to go to state.

So in 2008, they created semi-state. With there being a semi-state competition, it now has the top 10 bands from each regional competing for the 10 slots at state. So in that first year, 2008, the bands qualifing for state it was 7 south bands and 3 north bands. Everybody said, told you what they were trying to do. 2009, it was 5 and 5. Ok, last year was a fluke and it'll even itself out back to the way it was. 2010, it was 6/4 and 2011 it was 7/3, with a south lean. Once again, people were pointing out that there is a southern preference in the judging.

Now you throw the judges scores from this past weekend and it's further making people question, how the northern bands are being judged. And it was a northern band only competition. It will be an interesting 2 weeks leading up to semi-state, listening to the discussions of the judging.

I dont know what the magic score is for silver vs gold, do you? I don't really understand the guarded secret of issma scores either:confused3. I have heard rumors of what we scored but nothing unofficially officially:lmao:

I dont know what the magic score is for silver vs gold, do you? I don't really understand the guarded secret of issma scores either:confused3. I have heard rumors of what we scored but nothing unofficially officially:lmao:

This link explains it best. But just try finding it on ISSMAs site.

http://www.indianamarching.com/features/2011/10/06/a-laymans-guide-to-issma-events/

Indiana Marching is a god send for finding out info.

After looking at the lineup for semi-state, I think we should be up in the stands to watch Avon. You guys go on at 2:31 and ours go on at 4:02, so our kids should be doing their thing, letting us bus moms hit the stands in time to watch your kids perform.

Last week was an away game for us, and they just took a pep band. No uniforms, no marching! Same story this week, except its on a Thursday. Our District has Fall Break Wed-Sunday. Mr. Band Director is having a rehearsal Thursday morning 9-12. The kids are bummed. So much for sleeping in! BUT...they are just now getting the closer of the show on the field, so they DO need the practice time!

Next week will be super busy. Homecoming parade Tuesday night, OSSAA contest on Wednesday, rehearsal Thursday night, Homecoming game Friday night, State OBA Marching contest Saturday. I think after they march state, they don't march the show again. So our last 2 games will be Pep Band, no field marching. It is quickly coming to an end :sad2:

Three of the contests we compete in give "places" to the top 12 Schools. They also give First, Second, and Third in your class, plus some other awards, Best Visual, Best Music, and one more that escapes me. One of our contests gives just a number score to each school...we usually get all 1s, Superior. You don't have to stay for Finals for that Contest, and there isn't a winner, to my knowledge.

The scoring of Gold, Silver, Bronze sounds CRAZY! And too political!

We went to our 2nd competition this past Saturday. There was great improvement between the 1st and 2nd competitions. This week they got Best Guard, Best Percussion, Best in Class, AND Grand Champion! :woohoo:

There’s definitely room for improvement. Band Director told the kids that they received Grand Champion because of the guard and percussion scores. They outscored the next best percussion by 23 points. There’s still a lot of cleanup work to do for UIL competition this Saturday. DD is a freshman, so a lot of this is new to me, but it’s been fun so far.

This link explains it best. But just try finding it on ISSMAs site.

http://www.indianamarching.com/features/2011/10/06/a-laymans-guide-to-issma-events/

Indiana Marching is a god send for finding out info.

After looking at the lineup for semi-state, I think we should be up in the stands to watch Avon. You guys go on at 2:31 and ours go on at 4:02, so our kids should be doing their thing, letting us bus moms hit the stands in time to watch your kids perform.

We will be there and will be able to see your band too! We have BOA this weekend. Gonna be a long day/night!

I get on indiana marching a lot. I just think its funny that the scores are such a secret!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter