2012 Beach and Yacht FAQ ~ March, April and May ~Do Not Post Here-Old Thread

I'm on the Be Our Guest list. Our trip plans are now official! Hahaha!

Question: is a reservation necessary for Captain's Grill? If so, more important for dinner than breakfast? I see that Yachtsman steakhouse is closed for renovations during our early September trip, so maybe that affects things.

DTD Bus Last year we did not have great luck with the route........45 min wait to get to DTD, and 1 hour wait to get on bus back to BC. It was not the best experience!! I really think it was just a mixup with buses that day.

Other trips before that were not that bad.

Really thinking about trying to take bus going if it's already at bus stop, and then taking cab back.

Robyn, I'm thinking about you and your family. All the best and I hope for a quick recovery for your DM. My FIL struggles with congestive heart failure and low renal function and I know how scary that is, but I also know that if they can get his meds regulated, he can have miraculous appearing recoveries! I'm hoping the same is true for your DM.

I wish I could help with the questions, but my "expertise" will have to wait until I actually STAY at the BC. LOL

Just finished with IPO and the gift baskets. The only wrinkle was the arcade cards - they need my actual credit card to swipe, or we can charge them to the room when we check in, but that seemed a bit too much stress so I left them out. I also left out the BC t-shirts because I wasn't sure if they would like having the same colour shirt. Kids. Phhhttttt. LOL

ONE WEEK TODAY!!!!

And Dee, I notice that Mickey's arms are up a little higher than normal today on your ticker. Maybe his voice is even higher too???? :lmao:

Welcome to new posters and welcome back to everyone returning from YC/BC! So happy to hear all the great reports. We've not even been home a full two weeks yet and I miss it already! Loganpaulsmom and weeannie, I'm SO happy to hear that everything worked out well for you with SAB and BC because I know you were both worried about it.

So, we've only eaten at Beaches 'N Cream in the evening, so we've had a bit of a wait. We've been trying to do the Kitchen Sink for a few trips now, but I'm putting my foot down, and it is a must-do this time!! Any ideas on less crowded times? The kids are doing the Albatross Treasure Cruise, so I thought we might slip over there after they're done with that, but it would be around lunch time. Thoughts??

Try getting there at opening time.....we did this in July 2010, and didn't have much of a wait. We also dined there last May, mid-day, with no wait.

Good luck with the Kitchen Sink..............be sure and post pics!!

We arrived at opening (11am) on our check in day and had the place to ourselves. Have also visited during our middle of the day break and walked right in.

But the Kitchen Sink..:scared1:...Never been brave enough to try. Good luck and enjoy!

I know I'm a day late on all this, but I absolutely agree with the 11am opening for an early lunch. We've done this and it's so uncrowded and relaxing! :)

Hey there! We will be at Beach Club on SATURDAY! :cool1: Cannot wait to get there!

Quick question, and I apologize profusely if this has been posted already (my computer is having a cow trying to 'search')...

I read that at Hurricane Hanna's the kids meal comes in a bucket...does that include the hotdog / burger kids meals? just wanted to make sure, because I know my kids won't want the cold sandwich or pbj (can't remember which right now) but I know we'll want buckets too!

Thanks!

Yes! The burger meals also come with the sand bucket - they just give you the burger on the side. We love this meal, and I should add that it's particularly convenient when you need to transport your kids' meal elsewhere. Our order is usually more varied, but one time, we ordered 4 kids' burgers and they all came with buckets, so we had plenty! Here's a photo of one of our meals:

f65f5521.jpg

Hi guys,

First off, let me congratulate all of you for this incredible thread. Disney WISHES they could have so much in-depth information on their resorts as I have found here.

Even though we are Disney fans here in my house, we have never been able to stay in a Disney resort... Until now that is! Thanks to a convention taking place at the Yacht Club (and therefore the reduced rates) we will be staying from May 3 to 7 so I will bring my DW and two of my DD so we can go to the Magic Kingdom and DHS.

We will be completely relying on Disney transportation though, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out:

1. Aside from the Quick Service places in the resort, what other options would you guys recommend that wouldn't involve too many bus transfers?

2. We are planning to heat to DTD the afternoon we arrive. Traveling back to the resort sounds like a pain. We don't have Park Hoppers so the "EPCOT route" you mention in the thread is not an option. Would a cab be the best bet? How much would it cost? Our group will be 6 to 7 people.

3. Is there a way to know which characters are appearing in Cape May for character breakfasts?

Once again thank you for this great thread and thanks in advance for the help.

I know many have already responded, but just wanted to add a few thoughts based on our experience.

First, another vote for park hoppers! But if you need something quick for the kids and don't have them, our favorites include BC Marketplace, Hurricane Hanna's and Picabu in the Dolphin. We don't use CS much, but when we do, I think the options right there at BC/YC or Dolphin are best for us, both in terms of convenience and selection. We've stayed at BWI and really love BWI CL, but if we need CS, we always find our way back to BC Marketplace.

We've tried a variety of different modes of transportation to/from DTD, including the one-way bus and one-way cab. We'll definitely stick with a cab both ways from now on. I think it was about $10 plus tip, but I'm not certain.

Cindydare already answered the question regarding Cape May characters - I just wanted to add that we love breakfast at Cape May!!

Hi guys - just stopping in for a minute to ask for prayers from my BC/YC "family". My mom is back in the hospital.

Sunday night everything was fine. We had my grandson's "birthday dinner" and mom seemed a little tired but other than that was in good spirits.

Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from her - she was having definite breathing problems and asked me to take her to the ER. Now if you know my Mom there is nothing she hates more than hospitals so I KNEW she was not doing well.

She has been admitted with respiratory and kidney problems. As most of you know she is a real fighter and I'm hoping for the best. If you can, please keep our family in your prayers today.

Thanks so much

Robyn, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. You know that you and your mom are always in our thoughts and prayers. My mother-in-law has significant respiratory issues and similar feelings regarding hospitals - so we know how that goes. Sending you a hug: :hug:

Sitting at my desk listening to Soarin' Queue music and drinking coffee (coincidentally...Starbucks) out of my vacation mug.
Mug pic

Not very functional at work today. :surfweb:

58 days until our first trip to WDW and more importantly the BC. I had some serious inner squeal moments today. :love:

Just had to share with people who understand. :goodvibes

I'm on the Be Our Guest list. Our trip plans are now official! Hahaha!

Question: is a reservation necessary for Captain's Grill? If so, more important for dinner than breakfast? I see that Yachtsman steakhouse is closed for renovations during our early September trip, so maybe that affects things.

If you are going to be there when they are offering Free Dining, I would definitely make a reservation. Captain's Grill is not one of the restaurants that requires a credit card hold so it's very easy to cancel if you change your mind. Just fyi...... yesterday I made dinner reservations there for the last Sunday in August (8/26) and there were only three times to pick from for our party of 3. If I'm not mistaken, Free Dining starts on 8/25 - not sure when it ends.

Good Luck Robyn with your Mother! As someone who lost my father a little over a year ago I understand how tough it can be when parents start becoming older and suffering in health. I hope she stays with you for many years to come!

Hi guys - just stopping in for a minute to ask for prayers from my BC/YC "family". My mom is back in the hospital.

She has been admitted with respiratory and kidney problems. As most of you know she is a real fighter and I'm hoping for the best. If you can, please keep our family in your prayers today.

Thanks so much
Robyn - sending your Mom and family prayers. :grouphug:

Thanks for the very kind comments about my pictures. I'll give you my number one secret photography tip as long as you promise not to tell anyone...

Take a gazillion photos. Only share the good ones.

Ignore the comments from your family about all the pictures you are taking.
Love this tip! That's my philosophy too.:)

Well, we are back! What an absolutely wonderful, incredible stay at the BC!!!!! This trip -- what a difference! Put it this way: I got a GAC allowing us to use her wheelchair as a stroller in lines, due to severe bone and nerve damage in her legs. We NEVER used it. We did use the stroller constantly to get her to the rides and around the parks, but we always parked it and walked in like "regular" folks. And boy did that feel good :) If anyone here has ever felt jealous about others using GACs, all I can say is it was the most wonderful feeling in the world not to use ours!
So happy to hear such a great report and that your trip went so well.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I too LOVE good coffee (I mean I REALLY Love it), but WDW is such a special place for me................a place to GET AWAY. I was horrified when McD's moved in, and now this.....
Now I better duck, or I'll get a Tall Latte thrown at my head!!!

I'm a little torn about this. I love good coffee, and really haven't found much at Disney, but I'd hate to see name brands all over the place. I'm hoping that they can integrate this in very subtle ways, so that you only know it's Starbucks by the napkins or something else not too noticeable.

4 DAYS until we arrive at the BC!!! :cool1:

So exciting! We arrive at Disney the same day as you. I have so much packing left to do though...:rolleyes1

And on a completely off topic note, I am sure I'm in the minority here, but I am NOT happy about Starbucks...or any "chain" infiltrating my WDW bubble. I sense a pattern here that I do not like. We choose to spend our vacations and our money in WDW because we feel completely removed from the outside world. A Starbucks on Main Street USA is NOT my idea of what Disney is about. Downtown Disney is already beginning to feel like my neighborhood mall.....I will suffer with Nescafe frothy sludge, because it's Disney's Nescafe frothy sludge!! I don't want to start a debate, I know this isn't the thread for that, but I feel like a few posters here will definitely get what I'm saying.:)

:thumbsup2

DTD Bus Last year we did not have great luck with the route........45 min wait to get to DTD, and 1 hour wait to get on bus back to BC. It was not the best experience!! I really think it was just a mixup with buses that day.

Other trips before that were not that bad.

Really thinking about trying to take bus going if it's already at bus stop, and then taking cab back.

we had similar issues with going to typhoon lagoon last trip it took an hour and almost a half to get us to typhoon lagoon. From now on we will be cabbing it its just not worth the possible headache. I like the idea of the bus being there hoping on but I just hate how its such a huge ? mark of when you will arrive

Sunday night everything was fine. We had my grandson's "birthday dinner" and mom seemed a little tired but other than that was in good spirits.

Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from her - she was having definite breathing problems and asked me to take her to the ER. Now if you know my Mom there is nothing she hates more than hospitals so I KNEW she was not doing well.

Thanks so much

I will be thinking of your family.

Took me a while to catch up this time around!!

Teena and Dee - looks like you both had great vacations! Welcome back!

Robyn - prayers for your mom and for your entire family :hug:

An update on our trip...my hubby was trying to convince me to try out the BWI for our trip in May. I am skeptical since we had such a great stay with BC that I don't want to try somewhere else...so I finally gave in...AND then he changed his mind!

So looks like we'll be back at the BC next May/June!! Can't wait!

That's a great idea, Teena. Perhaps make two separate reservations. The first for a 2 BR lockoff while the entire group is there and the second for a one BR for the rest of the trip requesting to stay in the same room. I bet there would be a great chance of that being honored.

Thanks to both for your ideas. DH and I are arriving first, alone for five days! Then the rest of the party arrives. I can't justify in my mind paying for the two bedroom lock off for five nights when I won't need it. I could do a one bedroom first and then the two bedroom lock off for the second five nights and sort out the whole ticket thing. I was going with a package which adds to the complexity of the whole thing, but that can be easily sorted out. Even with two bedrooms though, there are not enough beds without sleeper sofas.

You are right I could put DD and DDBF on the sleeper sofa, but UGH, I feel so uncomfortable about that. DDBF (means boyfriend, not best friend) and although they have been going out for three years...I just can't picture me trotting around in my pajamas! :laughing:

The point is well taken though that I probably will not get the one bedroom together with the studio because unless I am willing to change rooms, the studio that is next to me has to check out the exact same day as they arrive.

I think I will have to put this to a vote at home. Thank you so much for all of the ideas, I really appreciate them!

I just wanted to chime in on the DTD bus issue from ALL the resorts in the area.

Even when we haven't waited more than 5 minutes for a bus, it is still close to 45 minutes from the time you step on until the time you reach your destination, simply because of all the stops it has to make (Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC, BWI, TL, DTD, West Side).

We tend to cab it at least one way now as well, plus we never go back more than once in a trip simply because of the inconvenience in getting there when solely relying on Disney Transportation.

An update on our trip...my hubby was trying to convince me to try out the BWI for our trip in May. I am skeptical since we had such a great stay with BC that I don't want to try somewhere else...so I finally gave in...AND then he changed his mind!

So looks like we'll be back at the BC next May/June!! Can't wait!

jcondrad, too funny how that all happened! Welcome back to BC/YC!

I really love BWI and we had a great BWI/BC split stay last August. My love of BWI is very related to the CL there - I don't think we'd book BWI without CL. And since we followed our BWI CL stay with a BC CL stay, we had plenty of BC/SAB time during the same trip. I've found that the best way for us to try new resorts is as part of a split stay or for a super short visit.

2. We are planning to heat to DTD the afternoon we arrive. Traveling back to the resort sounds like a pain. We don't have Park Hoppers so the "EPCOT route" you mention in the thread is not an option. Would a cab be the best bet? How much would it cost? Our group will be 6 to 7 people.

I dont know what the "epcot route" is, but your best bet would be just to hop on the bus from the resort. The busses on go from the resorts to DTD which causes a huge issue for us since, back in the day, we would hop on a bus from whatever park we were in to do a little shopping at DTD mid day and then go back to a park at night. Having to go to a resort to get on the bus is just a pain!

Sitting at my desk listening to Soarin' Queue music and drinking coffee (coincidentally...Starbucks) out of my vacation mug.
Mug pic

Not very functional at work today. :surfweb:

58 days until our first trip to WDW and more importantly the BC. I had some serious inner squeal moments today. :love:

Just had to share with people who understand. :goodvibes

What!! No link to the Soarin music :worship: right then, off to Youtube it :love:

Thanks so much

Robyn,

Prayers for your mom and your family. Hope all is well.

~Nannette

Leaving Saturday for my first stay at Coronado Springs (1 night) but more importantly for my first stay at Yacht Club! I booked this kind of last minute and could only stay at Yacht Club with either no discount or an AP-rate CL room for the dates I needed. So, CL it is! Very excited!

One very random question, is there a (not-so) secret exit from the Yacht Club like there is on the side of Beach Club by Epcot?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter