• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2011 Destashing Thread

I need to join!! I have to get control of my basement again. We are thinking about possibly moving, and if not, then we need to find more living space...but the basement is not usable by a long shot now. It is going to take a long time and a lot of effort, but it will be so worth it in the long run!

I am in for the New Year! I had a great start last year, but I still have some major projects to tackle, like the basement, attic and organizing of pictures, home video and pictures saved to computer disc that haven't been printed - (from the last 16 YEARS!!!!) I also have to convert our spare bedroom to a nursery and the closet and dresser i nthere are full of junk. I am going to be realistic and say, that I will probably need this year and next to accomplish all of this with everything else I have on my plate. I would be happy to accomplish the nursery, the basement, and get a start on the picture project. Attic isn't that bad so I am not making it the priority right now. It seems it takes most of my day to just maintain the areas of my home that are decluttered and take care of the kids and prepare meals. Extra time for projects is few and far between.

I'm in! My goal for the year is going to be 15 minutes 3 times a week. We just have way too much stuff!

I'm in this year!! I didn't participate in the thread last year but I worked hard to get some clutter under control and I made great progress. I think I'm about 2/3rds of the way through.

I have an attic, a garage, and two or three "hot spots," as well as paperwork and picture projects to get started on. I hope I'll get them completed this year - that's my goal!

I'm in.

We started cleaning/clearing out the garage today.
Boys got a table tennis/ping pong table and its HUGE. So in our storeroom/garage that was knee deep in clutter, we got over 1/2 done. Tomorrow we will finish so DH and boys can build it and they can start playing with their Christmas present.

My theory this year is to clean everything out...donate what will make people happy, garage sale for DSs band trips, and make room for "living space".
To be bogged down by clutter and clothing is no way to lives.

Open minds, open spaces, clean spaces, to be filled with love.

A lot of decluttering in my food habits would be a great bonus.

I am back in for the 2011 destashing year. I got rid of so much last year, i originally thought I did not have much more to get rid of

Boy was I wrong!!!

We have decided that I would paint the home office. This means that I need to take everything out of it to get it ready to paint and shampoo the floors.

We started slowly, by completely cleaning out a desktop computer (including monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, aqnd of course the tower) of all files that we deemed worthy and loaded on to an external hard drive. I basically reset the desk top to day one and we are giving it to the FIL for his use (all of us here at home have laptops now, so need for desktop computers)

I also got rid of a box of assorted cables, electronic devices, and such that have not been used in several years.

I'm in. We made a good start last year, but think we can do better. My DH jokes that the best way to keep only what you need is pack it up & move it yourself! My biggest problem is toys & stuff DD has outgrown but are too nice to toss; I keep holding onto them to freecycle, but don't make the time. Oh, & paperwork, there's always more paperwork.

I am so on board this time. I've already started!! As I was putting up the Christmas decorations I was going through them and getting rid of some. Now that I'm taking the tree down, I'm going through and getting rid of even more. Got rid of bags and bags of clothes that I was saving for WHEN I lost more weight. :rotfl2: Now I figure when that time comes I'll treat myself to new clothes. :cool1:
My major areas are: The basement, closets, and the computer room. If I can get those things completed I will be a happy camper.

My biggest problem is 2 large totes of pictures that need to go into albums! We have lived in our new house for 3 years and my pictures that are in frames have never been put up. I like the uncluttered look but it's a shame that I don't show pics of the family.
Then in the spring the GARAGE needs a huge decluttering.
So, count me in please.
I need all the help I can get!
It's also helpful that I'm not working right now.

Hi all! This is the year for me -- we need the money from selling things just to make ends meet right now, with DH out of work for the last 13 months! I'm taking advantage of both my DSs home this week to clear out the basement -- spent just two hours yesterday and found tons of stuff to sell, freecycle and throw away! I'm sure the garbage men will be very happy with us this morning. :laughing::rolleyes1

Count me in!!!

I'm working on my daughter's room, then my son's room, then I'm going through all the Christmas stuff. If I didn't put it out this year, I'm donating it :)

Count me in. We're planning on moving this summer and I sure as heck don't want to move all this crap we've accumulated.

I'm starting on toys. My living room looks like Toysrus exploded in there. My kids would do well to play with half of the stuff we have. I just have a really hard time getting rid of things someone else got them.

I'm also trying to use up things in our freezer and pantry. With the grocery sales during Thanksgiving and Christmas I was a bit overzealous about stocking up on things. Now we've got to eat all this stuff. This was at my husband's request this morning when he went to get some ice and a package of chicken fell on his foot. After a few words I can't post on the dis he said, "Don't buy anything else until this is gone! Please!" So, to save my marriage I'm going to try to use all that up. ;)

Hi everyone! I'm in for another year!

Last year's thread was very motivational for me! I moved a lot out of the house and made some money for paying off bills and saving for Disney. I stopped buying as many things...more money in my pocket. I still have a long ways to go and I'm looking forward to reading about everyone else's progress too! :thumbsup2

An ongoing battle for me :rolleyes1

We are finally empty-nesters so we are turning one bedroom into a library/office and the other bedroom into a guest room/craft room. We also have a huge, finished room over the garage that needs to be totally cleaned out and made livable as another guest room.

I need to get busy!!

Happy this morning. I went through all the cords, plugs, everything on the shelf and computer.

Tossed some, and labeled others (So in the future, I know where it should go). Like which charger and cord go with the videocamera vs the regular camera. I found my old 35mm camera nad it still had a roll of film in it! We're going to shoot it today, develop it and then that camera goes.

The best part is, dh HAD to be involved in this. I started and he had to give in and help me (I don;t know what all this is to). So he "approved" the tossing.

We also have TONS of DVD's for the computer, which are back up disks for all of our programs. DH organized and put each one in a plastic sleeve. Now I just have to buy a binder today, and all that important stuff is nicely organized,

Now since that job is done, I can work on the rest of the house without necessarily needing dh (in fact, it's usually better without him). DH will suggest we save "just in case" or "what if....". Only once in all the stuff I've tossed have we ever maybe wanted something 9We did without it, but it would have been nice)

Julia

I got a lot done last year and am looking forward to another year of this! My goal for this winter is to clean out the basement - mostly going through toys. My big goals for this year are to create and maintain a sucessful paper system and weed out my photos. A big part of that is cleaning out the basement so I can create a more organized storage areas for the bins. I think there are 7 totes of photos/momentos & stuff that needs to be organized.

The main living areas & bedrooms are pretty well maintained from last year but I need to improve the hot spots. The house is looking really good for my parents visit so I hope to keep it up. I am trying to be conscious of creating spots for items that don't appear to have a place or tossing & donating what we really don't need to free up space.

This is the year we will start enforcing chores & allowance for all the kids because it is just so much more comfortable when things are picked up! They will have unpaid chores as part of the family but extra projects available to earn money.

Wrapped up 2010 by reorganizing the closet and purging the pantry, fridge, freezer, and spice rack. Goals so far for 2011:

Photographs
books
craft supplies
socks and unmentionables :)

:) I'm so in. Living in a 3 bedroom with DH, and DDs, 23 and 25, so basically 4 adults with 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, living room, kitchen and 13 years of accumulated stuff :sad2::sad2::sad2: My plan for 2011 is to concentrate on 1 room per month destashing and "sprucing up". The family's goal is to clear out our basement and then remodel it as a team. Goal is to host the family Christmas gathering next year. :woohoo:

Let's all work together :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter