***2009-2010*** cheer parent thread!!

All-Levels tomorrow at the Dallas Convention Center. D's team has bumped up the level of difficulty of their routine - LOL, it will either score a lot of points or be an epic fail.:rotfl:

New to this and seeking info...would love if some of you cheer families would give me the benefit of your experience:

How many hours a week would you expect in practice time for a kid on an all star team, Level 3, junior or senior?

And how much of that would be practice of the actual competition routine, and how much would be working on skills?

And are cheerleaders expected to learn just one position, or do they learn the skills for other positions as well?

Thanks!

New to this and seeking info...would love if some of you cheer families would give me the benefit of your experience:

How many hours a week would you expect in practice time for a kid on an all star team, Level 3, junior or senior?

And how much of that would be practice of the actual competition routine, and how much would be working on skills?

And are cheerleaders expected to learn just one position, or do they learn the skills for other positions as well?

Thanks!

Our special needs team practices 2 hours a week (1 day) during the summer and beginning of fall. Closer to competition season, starting in October, that is bumped up to 2x per week, or 4 hours per week. Then about November, another 3 or 4 hour practice is thrown in approximately every other or every third weekend
Our non-travel teams have the same schedule, except that they don't throw in very many 3rd practices since they don't travel to Nationals.

Our competitive teams, from mini 1 to coed 5 practice more than that, depending on their level. :goodvibes Our J3 team practices 3x per week - 2 week day practices, one for 2 hours, one for 3 hours and then one weekend practice for 2.5 hours.

Competitive teams also add in additional tumbling and stunting classes for skill building. Many kids also have privates for further skill building.

All-Levels tomorrow at the Dallas Convention Center. D's team has bumped up the level of difficulty of their routine - LOL, it will either score a lot of points or be an epic fail.:rotfl:

Good Luck!

Off to MB competition! Like Missypie...my DD's team has bumped up from Sr. Level 4 to Level 5 so pray for them. :goodvibes

Have a great weekend!

Off to MB competition! Like Missypie...my DD's team has bumped up from Sr. Level 4 to Level 5 so pray for them. :goodvibes

Have a great weekend!
Will be thinking about you. Good Luck!

Everybody, let us know how you did this weekend.

Donnajon- I really enjoyed getting to meet you in Atlanta. Your teams did a great job! ;) I was pleased with our mini 1 and youth 2 results but I have no clue about why they scored our level 3 so low.:confused:

It was great meeting you!
I was shocked by your results as was my sister! Did you get to see the score sheets? I was really wondering what happened. We expected y'all to win. Some of the comments by the judges did not make sense. They said our Youth needed to smile. Our youth have the best facials! That was crazy. And they had our Youth in 3rd place even without the deduction (1.5 points) for the fall. Did you get to see our Juniors? They nailed it. I was hoping they would get first but to come in second with the troubles they had was amazing. One girl's mom didn't show up and we had to have a last minute replacement. And a flyer on the youth team fell on the pyramid and got hurt. She had to replace the flyer that didn't show up and she rocked it! I was so happy for them. We're trying to talk our coach into letting us go to Virginia Beach to the Final Destination in two weeks. She said if the parents all agreed, we could go. So far, almost everyone we talked to is on board!

Eeyore's#1fan, how did y'all do in MB?

I did not get to see the score sheets. I have watched the video my husband took and they were not as sharp as they can be but still looked good. Oh well. I missed all the junior teams because we left for dinner then. I am glad to hear that the little flyer from youth did well. It looked like she hurt her neck.
We started tryout clinic tonight. There were a lot in the mini age group. There were several new ones some from other gyms. Tryouts are May 1st. Good luck if you go to Virginia Beach!;)

I was shocked by your results as was my sister! Did you get to see the score sheets? I was really wondering what happened. We expected y'all to win. Some of the comments by the judges did not make sense. They said our Youth needed to smile. Our youth have the best facials! That was crazy. And they had our Youth in 3rd place even without the deduction (1.5 points) for the fall. Did you get to see our Juniors? They nailed it. I was hoping they would get first but to come in second with the troubles they had was amazing. One girl's mom didn't show up and we had to have a last minute replacement. And a flyer on the youth team fell on the pyramid and got hurt. She had to replace the flyer that didn't show up and she rocked it! I was so happy for them. We're trying to talk our coach into letting us go to Virginia Beach to the Final Destination in two weeks. She said if the parents all agreed, we could go. So far, almost everyone we talked to is on board!

Yay! Maybe we'll get to see you on Sun at Worlds. I won't be there on Sat. even though our Youth is competiting. DD13 has a band competition in Charlotte that Sat. so we won't head to VA til Sat. evening. Fun weekend...Sat drive to Charlotte (2 hrs south of Durham) just to then turn around and drive 5 hrs North past Durham to VA. :rotfl: Gotta love it!

As for MB we did OK. No competition for Jr. and Sr's or any of our dance teams except Sr. HH whom came in 2nd. Our Mini's came in 2nd out of 7 and Youth came in 1st out of 5 or 6...brain is drawing a blank. Pretty fun weekend all together.

It really depends on your team and if they are travel or non travel. At our gym out Senior 3 practices 2 2 hr sessions per week. Plus at least 1 1 hr tumble class. There is more tumbling available but the 1 hr is mandatory. During big competition weeks, they may add an additonal practice or 2 depending on if the routine is hitting

And how much of that would be practice of the actual competition routine, and how much would be working on skills?Summer is when we work on individual skills but every other practice is dedicated to the routine. But remember, when I say that, they may work on the jumps section (which would help your jumps overall) the dance, the stunts etc... sometimes they do learn a new skill, new stunt if the coaches want to add difficulty to an existing routine.

And are cheerleaders expected to learn just one position, or do they learn the skills for other positions as well? at our gym, you may have several different positions during 1 routine. For example: my younger daughter is tall for her age, but a wonderful flyer. On one of her teams she flys in the pyramid and the bow and arrows but not in the basket tosses. She fronts the basket tosses. Or if you are a crossover to another team, you may have a different spot there. They have her cross to a youth team where she is at the age cut off so she is one of the bigger girls. She bases all of the stunts and baskets, but does still fly in the pyramid because she is very flexible.

Thanks!

Have fun with it! We were unsure at first, but have really grown to enjoy the competitions, the travel, camaraderie and friendships that have grown. I now run the booster club, make the team bows (just as good if not better than the ones you can buy if I say so myself) and am the team mom for one of the 5 teams they are involved in.

We're not going to Va. Beach. Some of the parents didn't want to spend the extra money. Plus, our coach/owner dislocated her thumb spotting a stunt the other week. She has been in a cast. They told her last week she had to have surgery - she has no ligament along the base of her thumb. She is supposed to have that done this week so that would have messed up going as well. Good luck to everyone else going.
Donna

We're not going to Va. Beach. Some of the parents didn't want to spend the extra money. Plus, our coach/owner dislocated her thumb spotting a stunt the other week. She has been in a cast. They told her last week she had to have surgery - she has no ligament along the base of her thumb. She is supposed to have that done this week so that would have messed up going as well. Good luck to everyone else going.
Donna

Awwww so sorry to her about your coach/owner. That's a bummer. Hope she's doing better soon.

As for Worlds...our Jr's and Sr's have a shot as there are only 3 in their division. However, our youth have 21 :eek: in their division!!! They've gone through some changes the last few months with a girl quitting and 2 getting hurt so will definitely need pixie dust for them on Sat. :goodvibes

our Jr's and Sr's have a shot as there are only 3 in their division. However, our youth have 21 :eek: in their division!!! They've gone through some changes the last few months with a girl quitting and 2 getting hurt so will definitely need pixie dust for them on Sat. :goodvibes

Good luck this weekend!! I will look for your teams on the schedule..hopefully we will be there at the right time to cheer them on.

Our daughter's team has 18 in their division (senior Coed 3). They are also the lucky ones that get to perform 1st at 8:00am. It's going to be a tough competition! Our Youth level 1 has 17 in their division and our Junior 3 has only 4.

Good luck this weekend!! I will look for your teams on the schedule..hopefully we will be there at the right time to cheer them on.

Our daughter's team has 18 in their division (senior Coed 3). They are also the lucky ones that get to perform 1st at 8:00am. It's going to be a tough competition! Our Youth level 1 has 17 in their division and our Junior 3 has only 4.

Yeah it is going to be a tough competition. :goodvibes One of the reasons we like to go....see new teams. I know I won't get to see your youth or Sr's but will try and make it over to Hall D to see your Jr. team. Just have to make sure DD makes it back for her awards in time. :goodvibes

Good luck to your DD this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter