2 Kids,2 Dogs,1200 Miles: 2 More Weeks in FL 2 - Finished with a Blast! P40

I know I’m behind on giving you grief about your TR… but I’ll try to make up for it by giving you extra grief. What say… sound good to you?

With every new summer day in Florida comes new hope and new promise. Excitement and possibility. Magic and Wonder. Heat and Humidity. And the standard 50% chance of thunderstorms.

Daily rain in Florida? Never happens…
:lmao:

I guess you take the good with the bad. And today's good: EPCOT!

:woohoo:

We had another late arrival day - not getting there until after 10. This puts a serious cramp in our usual Soarin-FastPass-ride-TestTrack routine

That’s the plan we generally follow as well

Guest graffiti or Imagineer with a Sharpie and a sense of humor?

I’m going with Imagineer

(and sneaking our way right up to the doors while everyone else was distracted by the preshow video)

You’re a b-a-d b-o-y… oh… wait…
We’ve been known to do that as well

How do I know we were going faster than sound? Simple: Put your ear up to the picture. Did you hear the shutter click? No? Well then we must be going faster than sound!

You have to appreciate any mind that can seriously contemplate, much less attempt to make a credible argument for such a delusional notion. :sad2:

Have you considered politics?

DSCF0861.JPG

I’m sure you speak fluent bovine… care to translate?

Since Evan isn't in the driver's seat, he can safely take his eyes off the road to smile. Seeing Madison in the driver's seat reminds me that I only have 9 years to start stocking up on Tums and Pepto Bismol.

That’s some pretty week meds you considering. Trust me… you’re going to need something considerably stronger. Something with the ability to let you see: “all the pretty colors, man…” might be more what’s called for in this situation.

The kids really like this ride, but don't like the "smell lab" where you get blasted with skunk spray.

You’d think that every once and a while, that aroma-selector-slot-machine would land on something else now wouldn’t ya’… I’m starting to think that thing is rigged.

That's right - it's BEVERLY TIME! Madison appears to have learned her lesson and refuses to drink it anymore. Party pooper.

After 5 1/2 cups of Beverly, I was ready to stumble back out into EPCOT and hurl.

Have you not read the warning that I post with my avatar? It’s just about as plain and straight forward a public service announcement as I can possibly make regarding that cursed stuff.

By the way… Y’all enjoy the cruse you’re heading off on this weekend. I’m looking forward to that TR.

Since Evan isn't in the driver's seat, he can safely take his eyes off the road to smile. Seeing Madison in the driver's seat reminds me that I only have 9 years to start stocking up on Tums and Pepto Bismol.
DSCF0864.JPG

And valium. Having just entered the daughter is driving phase I can honestly tell you, you are in for a treat.

Clearly the rain was getting to me. Or maybe it was those 5 1/2 cups of Beverly.
DSCF0888.jpg

Priceless. I can see why Bambi married you. A true Norse God.

I was shocked - shocked! - to see it barely half full!

“Here are your winnings inspector...”

Grab the autographs books and camera, honey! We're going to see some characters!
The kids (and adults) were kept entertained with classic Disney Cartoons while we waited.

That’s… good queue themeing

By the way… that’s the same crew that built the Disney Dream.

Bon Voyage!

And since it was still raining, we decided to head over to a ride we've never done before - Malestrom!

That’s the most terrifying ride in the park. Oh, not the bit in the boat, that’s easy. It’s that little room they lock you in afterward that will drive you to distraction.

I’ve got the same picture some where, but just with different kids.

Whooooo…. déjà vu!!!!

I've read so many great things about these missions, and I was really excited to see the technology in action. Unfortunately after a long, hot, wet day everyone was just put through, we just never really got into it. Maybe next time, Kim.

You’ll get to do a variation of this on the Dream. You’ll enjoy it there.

And why were we going to England, you may ask? To play in the phone booths of course! As the kids were inside posing for pictures, the phone rang. It was Molly, the daughter of DisDadDoc here on the DISBoards!

Bravo sir. Nicely done

Barry, I know you said on DDC that today is your last day at work. I don't know if you'll be around to check in tomorrow or not, but I just thought I'd say I hope you guys have a great time.

Ditto! Hope you guys have a great time!

You sound just like my son when he tried to explain why the remote was not working.... :laughing:

We kinda start to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher after a while.

I will work harder to find situations in which to call Barry a jackwagon. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

This should be easy! Just replace the word "Barry" with "Jackwagon" from now on. :thumbsup2

Barry, I know you said on DDC that today is your last day at work. I don't know if you'll be around to check in tomorrow or not, but I just thought I'd say I hope you guys have a great time.
Thanks Andy!
I have a request for you and Bambi... since she's a few weeks ahead of my wife on the pregnancy thing and you're going to be in the parks a few weeks before us any thoughts, observations, or suggestions for us (well, mainly her) would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup2
Bambi already answered for your DW, so let me give you some advice.
Don't do anything to piss her off.

You're welcome!

You sound just like my son when he tried to explain why the remote was not working.... :laughing:
Because the batteries where dead?:confused3

The people behind you are taking in the full show.... and judging. :rotfl2:
Eh. Wasn't the first time I've been judged. Won't be the last.

Calling Barry a Jackwagon was funny and should be done more often. I can't. Kids, they are impressionable and don't want them using the word but feel free to use it often.
Thanks Dear. :sad2:

Wow,it's good,thanx.
Umm.. you're welcome!

I know I’m behind on giving you grief about your TR… but I’ll try to make up for it by giving you extra grief. What say… sound good to you?
I would expect nothing less!:thumbsup2

Daily rain in Florida? Never happens…
:lmao:
Only between 2 and 2:30.

That’s the plan we generally follow as well
Stick with what works!

I’m going with Imagineer
Probably. Either way, it looks pretty cool!

You’re a b-a-d b-o-y… oh… wait…
We’ve been known to do that as well
And I always yell "Oh No! Not the number 7!":rotfl2:

You have to appreciate any mind that can seriously contemplate, much less attempt to make a credible argument for such a delusional notion. :sad2:
Why, Thank You!
Have you considered politics?
Nah. I have too many morals.

I’m sure you speak fluent bovine… care to translate?
Sure, that's an easy one:
"I weight 1500 lbs. If you hit me with the car, I may die, but I'm taking 3/4 of your car with me."

That’s some pretty week meds you considering. Trust me… you’re going to need something considerably stronger. Something with the ability to let you see: “all the pretty colors, man…” might be more what’s called for in this situation.
Oooo...those sound fun!

You’d think that every once and a while, that aroma-selector-slot-machine would land on something else now wouldn’t ya’… I’m starting to think that thing is rigged.
Rigged worse than Vegas slots!

Have you not read the warning that I post with my avatar? It’s just about as plain and straight forward a public service announcement as I can possibly make regarding that cursed stuff.
Yeah it's nasty. But it's tradition. Nasty, nasty tradition.

By the way… Y’all enjoy the cruse you’re heading off on this weekend. I’m looking forward to that TR.
Thanks Rob! I can't wait!

And valium. Having just entered the daughter is driving phase I can honestly tell you, you are in for a treat.
Looks like I'd better get to meditating if I'm going to achieve total nirvana before she hits 16...

Priceless. I can see why Bambi married you. A true Norse God.
I think you hit the nail right on the head with that one! Granted, you tried to drive a 16 penny nail into solid oak with a plastic safety hammer and it didn't move at all, but you hit it right on the head!

That’s… good queue themeing
:thumbsup2

By the way… that’s the same crew that built the Disney Dream.

Bon Voyage!
Cool!

That’s the most terrifying ride in the park. Oh, not the bit in the boat, that’s easy. It’s that little room they lock you in afterward that will drive you to distraction.
Wanna know a secret? We walked in, saw the doors still open on the other side, and walked right on through. :tiptoe:

Really? That's cool!
Really? That's cool!
Whooooo…. déjà vu!!!!
Really? That's cool!

You’ll get to do a variation of this on the Dream. You’ll enjoy it there.
Yet another thing I'm looking forward to!

Bravo sir. Nicely done
:thumbsup2

Ditto! Hope you guys have a great time!
Thanks Mark!

This should be easy! Just replace the word "Barry" with "Jackwagon" from now on. :thumbsup2
:sad2:

Because the batteries where dead?:confused3

Actually it was the remote. As near as I can explain it without sounding like my son, when you press the button, it depresses a button inside on the mother board that then sends a signal for the infared .... never mind I just entered BLAH BLAH BLAH land..

Short version, you push the button and the little light does nothing and the TV does nothing and it is not the batteries because we changed them and the same thing. And maybe it is only certain buttons. :confused3
He wore the thing out. :lmao: Luckily it is the cable company's remote so we go down the block and around the corner ( during business hours ) and get another one. :thumbsup2

All fixed.

All caught up here! :cool1: Great Epcot day (minus the rain) I'm glad a simple pair of flip flops qualifies as entertainment for Evan. :thumbsup2

I have a request for you and Bambi... since she's a few weeks ahead of my wife on the pregnancy thing and you're going to be in the parks a few weeks before us any thoughts, observations, or suggestions for us (well, mainly her) would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup2

First useful piece of advice, lots of water.

First observation, Disney does not have enough seating near all the fun rides.

your trip report is to far back in my list of updated threads.. I missed your updates! Great updates.. Hate rain in Florida!

Enjoy your cruise

First useful piece of advice, lots of water.

First observation, Disney does not have enough seating near all the fun rides.

You would think a place like Disney would take things into account like having plenty of places for people to sit near rides that have height or other restrictions. I'm sure if you look around in those areas you'll find more shops than you can count. :rotfl2:

Thanks for the in trip update. Not sure if you'll see it before you board the ship today, but I hope you guys enjoy the cruise. :thumbsup2

Okay, I have a few more useful pieces of advice for those traveling while pregnant.

There is the water, drink lots of water.
Rest as often as possible. But Disney seems to be lacking in adequate seating near all the major attractions.
Comfy shoes that will allow to stand for long periods of time. If you can have a better plan to conquer the parks than we did that would be ideal. My kids seem to want to do this ride in Fantasyland then that ride in Adventure Land then a ride in Tomorrow Land ect...
I would say eat small meals often but at Disney prices this is not really particle, besides the people I travel with never stop for normal meals so stopping extra would be impossible for me.
And last remember that you are pregnant and probably a little hormonal so people are likely to tick you off a little more than normal. I resisted several urges to smack people for their very rude behavior and just let out a few passive aggressive statements about how they must be having a very magical day.

Advice for husbands of pregnant women...Don't say anything that will tick them off. Such as when your wife says "I feel like I'm the size of a house." The correct response is NOT "You are a house."
Also, when she asks for the credit card don't kiss it and tell it that you will miss it. (FYI I did not purchase anything this trip that he was not aware of in advance of my purchases.)

Okay, I have a few more useful pieces of advice for those traveling while pregnant.

There is the water, drink lots of water.
Rest as often as possible. But Disney seems to be lacking in adequate seating near all the major attractions.
Comfy shoes that will allow to stand for long periods of time. If you can have a better plan to conquer the parks than we did that would be ideal. My kids seem to want to do this ride in Fantasyland then that ride in Adventure Land then a ride in Tomorrow Land ect...
I would say eat small meals often but at Disney prices this is not really particle, besides the people I travel with never stop for normal meals so stopping extra would be impossible for me.
And last remember that you are pregnant and probably a little hormonal so people are likely to tick you off a little more than normal. I resisted several urges to smack people for their very rude behavior and just let out a few passive aggressive statements about how they must be having a very magical day.

Advice for husbands of pregnant women...Don't say anything that will tick them off. Such as when your wife says "I feel like I'm the size of a house." The correct response is NOT "You are a house."
Also, when she asks for the credit card don't kiss it and tell it that you will miss it. (FYI I did not purchase anything this trip that he was not aware of in advance of my purchases.)

Thanks for the advice, Bambi! We'll put it to use. We've already discussed taking it easier this trip. We've actually made plans that I'm going to visit MK on an EMH evening solo after DW and DS go to bed so that I can ride the mountains and they won't have to sit and wait or go do something else. That way we'll have more time to spend together doing family things and be able to take it at a more leisurely pace on our touring days. It goes against my every instinct, but I'm going to try to step back and just take it in and take things slow. Sit around and enjoy the sights... not think about how much money I spent to be there while we're just sitting around relaxing.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I appreciate the tips on what to not say as well. I'll start putting a new tactic in play. Before I open my mouth, I'll ask myself this question... What would Barry say? If I was even close to saying something that he would say, I'll re-evalute my choice.:thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Thursday Morning, June 30th.

(I had to put that there just to remind me where I was. Looks like it's been awhile since my last update.) Anyway, we packed up the Mazda Doom Buggy, headed toward Disney World, and...passed all 4 major Theme Parks. Our destination today was Typhoon Lagoon, and was to be our first encounter with a Disney Water Park. (Spoiler alert: It won't be our last!)

DSCF0926.JPG

We arrived before park opening, because based on everything I've read these parks get packed on hot summer days. Our first surprise: Free Parking!

This is where I need to start apologizing. It's now been over 4 months since our day here, and my memory is a bit hazy. So I'm basically going to have to make stuff up as I go along. I'm sure Bambi will make corrections along the way.

We stowed most of our stuff in a locker, then grabbed a few beach chairs on the edge of a sandy island to put the rest of our stuff.

They didn't have much in terms of characters, but Bambi did spot Lilo

Photo0071FourBySix.jpg

I'm pretty sure we headed back to the Storm Slides and did a few of those before the kids split off with Grandma & Grandpa to play in the kids area while Bambi and I did the Shark Reef. Disney supplies you with snorkel, mask and a life vest, and lets you snorkel over a lagoon filed with a sunken ship, lots of colorful fish....

P6300009.JPG

P6300010.JPG

...and, oh yeah, sharks...

P6300015.JPG

You can go at your own pace, but I think it took us about 4 or 5 minutes. All that time, I only got one shark bite.

And he didn't even taste that good.

:rotfl2:

Since the line was still quite short and our kids were in the semi-capable care of their grandparents, we decided to do it again. We were out of the water just long enough to get feeling back in our extremities before jumping in again. Several of the warnings they give you include: Swim only with your arms (so you don't kick other swimmers) don't stand on the island in the middle (it's slippery) and watch out for ice bergs (they hurt when you hit them). Yeah, the water is a bit chilly.

After our second shark encounter (my advice: bring your own tarter sauce. They don't supply any in the Shark Reef), we decided to take advantage of the fact that the kids were most likely under adult supervision and go ride Crush N Gusher. Disney happily stations PhotoPass Photographers at the bottom of the slides to catch your bathing suit-clad self attempt to flop out of the double tubes. I've included one there that is hopefully not to offensive to our younger readers.

Photo0048FourBySix.jpg

Although you can see from our expressions that it was a great ride. The "water coaster" aspect is quite a thrill - being shot uphill on a water ride is tons of fun!

You all make make fun of my puns, but Disney does it too!

P6300030.JPG

We caught up the kids and grandparents and spent some time in the wave pool. Now, must wave pools I've been in send gentle, rolling waves for about 10 minutes, then stop for a while. At Typhoon Lagoon, every 90 seconds for 1/2 and hour, you get one wave. But boy what a wave it is! Here's a video of Madison "body surfing." You'd think she would get tired of that, but you would be wrong.

Video Link

They claim the waves are only 6 feet, but trust me, when you're in the pool and see that wall of water coming at you - it looks like it's about 15 or 20! What a ride!

Eventually they shut the big waves down for 30 minutes so more people can enjoy the smaller, gentle waves. We took the opportunity to float along the lazy river.

P6300035.JPG

But eventually we succumbed to the need for something faster and headed up to Gangplank Falls - the family whitewater tube ride.

P6300043.JPG

P6300045.JPG

P6300046.JPG

After a full morning of sliding down Keelhaul Fall, Mayday Falls, and the Storm Slides (and going UP all the stairs to these rides) we headed over to Typhoon Tilly's for lunch. Getting into the spirit of the the water park, I ordered the fish. The coolest part was each kid's meal was served in a beach pail, complete with with shovel. The kids would put these to use later, but first, we all decided to try out the Shark Reef.

P6300056.JPG

(Grandma wasn't going to go, but that didn't stop her from getting her finger in the picture)

Getting into the water wasn't too much of a problem, nor was walking up the the edge. However, that's where Madison drew the line.

P6300059.JPG

Evan was a little more adventurous and swam out with me, but he did need some encouragement.

P6300060.JPG

P6300063.JPG

P6300065.JPG

From there, it was back to the slides!

P6300070.JPG

And another loop around the Castaway Creek

P6300078.JPG

Photo0063FourBySix.jpg

Around early afternoon, the predictable Florida weather did exactly what it was predicted to do - rain. Hard. Like downpour hard. Like monsoon hard. Like...oh, what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah, Typhoon Hard! (Get it? We're at Typhoon Lagoon! And a typhoon blew threw! Come on, did you expect anything less from me?)

We took shelter in one of the stores - along with everyone else in the park it seemed. We waited about 20 minutes or so, but then decided to call it a day. I'm glad we made it there so early - there were hardly any lines and we were able to get on all of the rides we wanted to do at least once. I made a run for the locker, gathered up our stuff and we headed out.

Let me take a few minutes to go back to what I said about this not being our last visit to a Disney Water park. Sadly, it was our last visit on this trip, but it certainly won't be our last ever. We are fortunate enough to live less than 3 hours from Wisconsin Dells - they bill themselves as "The Water Park Capitol of the World®". And they have a lot of them, including Noah's Ark - "America's Largest Water Park®" But what Wisconsin Dells offers in quantity, Disney far surpasses them in quality.

The park was amazing. Where the lines to the slides at most parks are just endless flights of stairs, Typhoon Lagoon has wandering paths up the "mountain", filled with lush vegetation, bridges, and all sorts of little theming that only Disney can come up with.

So will we come back? Without a doubt. Would I recommend a day at at Disney water park to others? Indubitably. But get there early. And don't forget your sunscreen.

Ok, back to the trip....
We scampered to the van in the pouring rain and hopped in, still soaked and wearing our swimsuits. We headed over to the back of Downtown Disney Parking lot behind Circ Du Soleil. Bambi, her mom, and the kids decided to change in the van while her dad and I grabbed some umbrellas, crossed the foot bridge and headed into the locker room of the Lake Buena Vista Golf Couse. And what did we find? Stacks of neatly folded towels, hair driers, basically all the stuff you would want to get dried up and changed. :rolleyes1

We were a bit hungry, so we drove over to Port Orleans French Quarter for another new treat - beignets! Ever since we saw The Princess and the Frog, we've been wanting to try them. We walked into the food court, ordered up a batch, and sat down to give them a try.

DSCF0929.JPG

How were they? Well, it wasn't long before we realized we had to go back for another order.

DSCF0934.JPG

I mean, really, it's fried dough covered in sugar. What's not to love?

We still had time to kill before our dinner ADR, so the kids wandered POFQ a little bit

DSCF0948.JPG

We then did a little shopping, where both kids got some beads. One of the cast members then took their necklaces, did a little magic, and viola - added some stars!

DSCF0957.JPG

Up Next: Dinner with Mickey, Minnie and ... a fiddle?

Thursday Morning, June 30th.

Interesting… that’s the date I’m about to get started on over in my TR
(and… I probably ought to get back over there and get on with it, but… it’s just so much fun giving you a hard time).

This is where I need to start apologizing. It's now been over 4 months since our day here, and my memory is a bit hazy. So I'm basically going to have to make stuff up as I go along.

Like this is a new occurance…

I'm sure Bambi will make corrections along the way.

Like this is a new occur… oh never mind.

All that time, I only got one shark bite.

And he didn't even taste that good.

:sad2:

Although you can see from our expressions that it was a great ride. The "water coaster" aspect is quite a thrill - being shot uphill on a water ride is tons of fun!

Wait till you try it on a coaster that is attached to a moving object.
Oh wait… that’s the next TR.

I made a run for the locker, gathered up our stuff and we headed out.

Since you were already wet, I hope you didn’t run too quickly.

Actually, since everyone in the park was already wet and in the water anyway, I don’t see where a little bit of rain should have been an issue.
Just think of at as an added feature.

So will we come back? Without a doubt. Would I recommend a day at at Disney water park to others? Indubitably. But get there early. And don't forget your sunscreen.

Rule #1 at all Disney attractions… Rope Drop matters.

…crossed the foot bridge and headed into the locker room of the Lake Buena Vista Golf Couse. And what did we find? Stacks of neatly folded towels, hair driers, basically all the stuff you would want to get dried up and changed.

There’s a good tip to tuck away for future reference.

We were a bit hungry, so we drove over to Port Orleans French Quarter for another new treat - beignets!

One of my favorite resorts (and one of the reasons why)

Great update, Barry. We used to go to TL all the time (but those hills and stuff up to the slides got to be a bit much for us and we only use the lazy river and not worth the cost of a ticket for us anymore). It looks like you all had a great time.

I like the picture of you and Bambi on the slide. And the picture above is yet another great family photo.

Evan was a little more adventurous and swam out with me, but he did need some encouragement.

P6300060.JPG

I love pictures like this. The Lifeguard is looking NOWHERE near where the people are. :sad2: I am going to hope this was the "moment in time" where something caught her attention right in front of her ( Like that guy JUST pushed off the "reef") and her eyes either followed him a moment later or she looked up to see the next guest.

:scared1::scared1::scared1: Everyone is drowning !!!!! :lmao::lmao:

I guess if they thrash about they are in trouble. :rolleyes:
Sorry, some Lifeguard humor in there.

Around early afternoon, the predictable Florida weather did exactly what it was predicted to do - rain. Hard. Like downpour hard. Like monsoon hard. Like...oh, what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah, Typhoon Hard! (Get it? We're at Typhoon Lagoon! And a typhoon blew threw! Come on, did you expect anything less from me?)

We took shelter in one of the stores - along with everyone else in the park it seemed. We waited about 20 minutes or so, but then decided to call it a day.

Afraid you were going to get wet? :confused3 :lmao:

I made a run for the locker, gathered up our stuff and we headed out.

Again... afraid you were going to get wet? :lmao:

Let me take a few minutes to go back to what I said about this not being our last visit to a Disney Water park. Sadly, it was our last visit on this trip, but it certainly won't be our last ever. We are fortunate enough to live less than 3 hours from Wisconsin Dells - they bill themselves as "The Water Park Capitol of the World®". And they have a lot of them, including Noah's Ark - "America's Largest Water Park®" But what Wisconsin Dells offers in quantity, Disney far surpasses them in quality.

Hey I've been there. Toured the park VIP style..... in January... in 13" of snow. :headache: Nope didn't get to see much. :laughing:

The park was amazing. Where the lines to the slides at most parks are just endless flights of stairs, Typhoon Lagoon has wandering paths up the "mountain", filled with lush vegetation, bridges, and all sorts of little theming that only Disney can come up with.

I like the landings so you can rest a bit, while you are lugging your huge tube up the mountain. I am surprised more rides don't have tube lifts and a less exhausting way to get up to the top.

Ok, back to the trip....
We scampered to the van in the pouring rain and hopped in, still soaked and wearing our swimsuits.
Now that is more like it..... when else can you enjoy being in the rain?

We headed over to the back of Downtown Disney Parking lot behind Circ Du Soleil. Bambi, her mom, and the kids decided to change in the van while her dad and I grabbed some umbrellas, crossed the foot bridge and headed into the locker room of the Lake Buena Vista Golf Couse. And what did we find? Stacks of neatly folded towels, hair driers, basically all the stuff you would want to get dried up and changed. :rolleyes1

Filed away in the vault. :rolleyes: Now the question is... Did you tell Bambi? :laughing:

We were a bit hungry, so we drove over to Port Orleans French Quarter for another new treat - beignets! Ever since we saw The Princess and the Frog, we've been wanting to try them. We walked into the food court, ordered up a batch, and sat down to give them a try.

DSCF0929.JPG

How were they? Well, it wasn't long before we realized we had to go back for another order.

DSCF0934.JPG

I mean, really, it's fried dough covered in sugar. What's not to love?

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We then did a little shopping, where both kids got some beads. One of the cast members then took their necklaces, did a little magic, and viola - added some stars!

DSCF0957.JPG

Cool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter