1st Timer - Discounts/Ways to save?

jdk

Earning My Ears
Heading to Universal in August for 1st trip with wife and kids. Been to WDW many times, and familiar with discounts. (Using Disney gift cards, etc.)

Are there any tricks to save a few dollars? Any current promotions that I may not be aware of? As of now, I am considering a stay at one of the deluxe hotels, with a 2 or 3 day park ticket, booking directly with Univ.

Thanks.

What are your dates? The Power Pass Annual Pass Blackout ends on 8/13 (for USO, no blackout for IOA). You can check for discounted hotel rates at Universal's site with Promo code APH, then determine if the additional cost of the pass is worth it (You only need one AP for the hotel discount).

I will chime in and then let other Universal regulars add to ideas. Become a Loews First member for Royal Pacific or Portofino Bay. This is free. When you check in this will allow you to ask for room upgrade if one is available. Staying at RPH, PBH, or Hardrock gives you express passes which are not included at Cabana.

Staying onsite at all the resorts gives you early entry to the Parks. You can also receive discounts on room and merchandise as a Annual Pass holder (you can read about these and the differences of the passes and the perks they offer on Universal site. You can get discounts also with AAA and American Express. AAA was selling 4 day park to park tickets for 206.00 taxes included per person back in May.

You can also receive discounts on food at restaurants in the Parks and on City Walk with AAA, AP and American Express. With AAA now you have to buy your tickets from them to get the discounts in the store for merchandise. They will not give discounts with AAA anymore in the WWOHP but most of the popular Potter items can be bought at any of the other Universal stores with AAA. Just make sure if you buy tickets from AAA that they give you the sheet saying you purchased from them with discounts noted. They are now asking for this in the store as well as your AAA card for purchases. Have fun on your vacation:daisy:

after joining the youfirst loews loyalty program, a person needs 2 stays before they hit blue.
level blue is when you can upgrade for free at check in time.

Regarding Power Pass Annual Pass Blackout, I'd be there and gone by Aug 13. If I used cheaptickets for a deluxe, do you still get the skip the lines pass? Of the 3 deluxe resorts, which is the best and second best location? Will have a rental car, but prefer to walk vs. drive.

Yes, you will still get express. Take at look at all the resorts and see which appeals to you the most. All deluxe resorts are within easy walking distance and all have boats to take you to city walk. No need to drive.

all guests registered at one of the three deluxe hotels are allowed the hotel perks.
unlimited usage of the express lines is one of them.

Just to be clear....Staying at one of the 3 hotels gives guests express pass regardless of where we buy our tickets? DH is not convinced and is thinking of doing a package. But it sounds here that we can buy our tix elsewhere because we would be staying on the property anyway. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Just to be clear....Staying at one of the 3 hotels gives guests express pass regardless of where we buy our tickets? DH is not convinced and is thinking of doing a package. But it sounds here that we can buy our tix elsewhere because we would be staying on the property anyway. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Right. Staying at one of the three deluxe onsite hotels gives you automatic Unlimited Express. It doesn't matter what type of admission ticket you have, or where you bought your admission tickets. The Unlimited Express Pass is connected to your hotel room key. Each person gets their own room key and uses their room key at a kiosk in the hotel to print their individual EP.

Yes, and Undercover Tourist has a 3 day park to park ticket for the price of a 2 day.

Yes, and Undercover Tourist has a 3 day park to park ticket for the price of a 2 day.

Does Universal let add days and if so do they do price bridging? We're not sure if we are going to do 3 or 4 Uni park days. If I got this ticket and we decided to stay one extra day, could I add would I have to pay the difference from 2 day to 4 day or from 3 day to 4 day? Or if we do an AP for a better hotel rate could we go from 3 day to AP?

if you want a 4 day P2P pass, might as well go with the cheap ap and get discounts.
you can upgrade those tickets.

Going onto Universals website, a 3 day base ticket for 5 adults was 851.95. Checking Undercover Tourist, price was $893. Anyone else run into that?

Going onto Universals website, a 3 day base ticket for 5 adults was 851.95. Checking Undercover Tourist, price was $893. Anyone else run into that?

I get $823.65 at UT.

Use the two days get two free deal.

Sorry to drive this board a little nuts with my questions. Looks like I can get Portofino bay for about 10% off using AAA, and can book that directly with Portofino. Here is my Q. Let's say I book this AAA discount over the phone directly with Portofino, and buy my 2 or 3 day park tix when I arrive at the Portofino desk, is there a $$$ disadvantage by doing it this way? (ie, booking hotel and tix separately)

It usually averages out cheaper to buy them separately. You can also buy your tickets in advance online using the AAA discount and pick them up at the will call kiosk in the hotel lobby or at the parks themselves. What days are you going and how many kids are there?

Let's say I book this AAA discount over the phone directly with Portofino, and buy my 2 or 3 day park tix when I arrive at the Portofino desk, is there a $$$ disadvantage by doing it this way? (ie, booking hotel and tix separately)

Well, you're running the numbers and taking notes, right? Can you find a way to get tickets for cheaper? Can you find a way to book the PBH cheaper? Have you looked at the package and what it would cost in total?

Gotta have the notebook with all the numbers. :)

Most people find that they do better booking separately rather than as a package, especially when they buy their tickets at an authorized agency like undercovertourist. Sometimes there are special packages (like when Diagon Alley opened) where there are intangible things given with the package that make the extra cost worth it. But usually it's not worth it financially. But the only way to KNOW is to run all the numbers for your trip, don't rely on memory (notebook!), and work it out.

I check prices here: http://uo.loewshotels.com/en/booking/uo?hotel=UEPBH,UEHRH,UERPR

Thanks! I was able to get portofino with a AAA discount. Regarding tix, sounds like Undercover Tourist is the best price? Appears to be 823.65 for 5 adults, base ticket, 4 days. (Buy 2 days, get 2 days) Or is there a lower price way to get tix?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter