1st on DCL & 1st with a Child - Several Misc Questions

goldielocks222

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We will be leaving for our first DCL cruise next week. I stalk the boards and I have used the search functionality but I still have some questions. Hopefully you can help! We are doing the Magic, 4 night Bahamas cruise. It will be DH, myself and DS 4.5. We will also have some other family traveling with us, but won't be depending on them for much.

1. Is there anyway to know when characters will be at the kids club to make sure we bring our son during that timeframe? I've read over several navigators and haven't seen it mentioned.

2. We have a PAT of 12-12:30. Our goal is to get ther around 11:45 based on recommendations I've read. I've also read that the line for kids club sign up is super long here and to just wait until you board. However, I was curious, how long is the boarding wait normally once checked in and til you board? I was thinking to make use of the waiting time to get the band done since I'm waiting anyway. We already signed up online, just need to get the bracelet. Is the wait to get the band really that long that I would be in line longer than my wait after check in?

3. Shutters - Roughly, how long is the wait for pics to be taken before the main dinner seating? I am on the fence about getting the cd since we have some family with us that can take pics for us. However, we will be fully dressing for the optional dress up and pirate nights and wouldn't want to miss out on great shots bc our family didn't take a great pic. Can our family take pics for us with the back drops just like the Shutters photographer?

4. Has anyone ever brought a garment bag as luggage and had it survive? I've seen the luggage pics posted, wow!

5. What kind of clothing can you wear to cabanas? In the morning, can we dress for the pool with bathing suits and cover ups?

6. Are there stools in the bathrooms or available for little kids to go potty, reach the sink to brush teeth and wash hands? I read about people who brought there own and then someone who posted they have them for you if you ask.

7. We are thinking about Express Walk Off, but I'm a little hesitant both ways. We have been on a few cruises years ago with RC where you had to exit your cabin and wait for what seemed like an eternity to disembark. I didn't like it then and I can't see myself doing it with a 4 year old. However, on that same token, I imagine it would be pretty difficult to do with our luggage (2 small suitcases and a duffle bag) and stroller as well. Can someone please tell me how regular disembarkation works in Miami? Since you get tags, you have to wait for your number to be called right? How long does this process take and can you compare the time it takes to the Express Walk Off? We are the type who wouldn't want to stay on the boat for as long as possible. The thought that I could be home getting unpacked and starting laundry by 9-10 am is pretty exciting. I know that sounds weird, but our trip is over at that point and the list of things to do at home will already be running thru my mind.

8. If you traveled with kids, did they need water shoes for the deck and CC? There was another thread I was reading and the answers seemed divided, but not many of those people talked about their kids. Also, I've seen conflicting reports about whether they will let you down the slides with your water shoes on. So for those who had kids with water shoes, what did they do with them on the slides?

9. Does CC have lockers by any chance? Want to bring my DLSR and I'm nervous about leaving it alone if we want to go on Pelican Plunge or in the water.

Thank you all for reading and thanks in advance for taking time to answer!

Last edited:
1. Is there anyway to know when characters will be at the kids club to make sure we bring our son during that timeframe? I've read over several navigators and haven't seen it mentioned.

Apart from specific, scheduled, things like "Get the Hook" or "Stitch's *something something* Adventure", DS has never once seen a character in the Oceaneer's Club. (or lab)

We have a PAT of 12-12:30. Our goal is to get ther around 11:45

PAT means the time you get to the port. If you have a PAT of noon, get there at noon.

If you traveled with kids, did they need water shoes for the deck and CC? There was another thread I was reading and the answers seemed divided

Twice we have wanted/needed water shoes at Castaway. The first time was a few months after a BIG storm blew through, and the sand wasn't really sand. It was more like semi-crushed shells, with rocks. OUCH. That's the trip when DH and DS (8 at the time) got shoes, at a premium price, on the island. I can't remember what it was like the second time they wanted them, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Bring them. If you need them you have them. If you don't, you don't.

I don't think I have noticed a kid wearing water shoes on the deck, but then we don't go to the pools onboard or lounge on the pool deck. DCL pools are just too small and massively overcrowded, and I have no interest in being part of a tragic pool incident.

Does CC have lockers by any chance? Want to bring my DLSR and I'm nervous about leaving it alone if we want to go on Pelican Plunge or in the water.

No lockers. Leave an adult with the camera. I just use point and shoots, and make sure it's waterproof and take it with me if I go into the water.

Hi,

4. Has anyone ever brought a garment bag as luggage and had it survive? I've seen the luggage pics posted, wow!

Last time I brought one they would not let me leave it with the checked luggage and told me I had to take as carry on getting on the ship.

Hi! I am a youth activities Counselor. As for characters in Oceaneers club and lab, there are specific programs where a certain character makes an appearance and runs a program such as the Royal Ball with Cinderella. At other times, characters tend to pop in and play a game or read a story but there are no photos taken at this time. We have a program called Picture This where a character comes and we take photos of the child with the character and print them off and give them to families to keep. If you have anymore youth activities questions let me know!

a garment bag suitcase that you could check on an airlines would be fine, a garment bag would need to be carried on. the line to board and all the kids clubs, pre check in things seem pretty long in port, especially the earlier you arrive.just check it out as you get there? i agree, you are already waiting, why not wait for the band there, you can judge by what time you do actually get there and what it looks like. if you can do it while you wait, that's one less thing for after you board.the deck on the ships can get toasty and can be weirdly slick, the beaches can be rocky where you enter so water shoes are handy and seem to be an easy choice for kids. there are many people in swimwear and cover ups at breakfast. depending when you eat, its also pretty easy to go up for breakfast (we are all in stunning sweats and the like) and then run back down and change and grab the sunscreen etc.... i find the quality of the shutters CD to not be worthy of their prices and IMHO you need to make getting pics a priority to get a sufficient volume of pictures to make the cost approach reasonability. also, the quality is not always there as far as shots go. that said, i totally get the draw and if other family is going and you are getting dressed up, why not? we usually get the smaller multi pic, preprinted pics onboard IF there is something that we like, i'd rather just buy one or two ones i deem decent and scan them or what not then have a disc full of pictures that aren't that great, but lots of people here love the photo disc. lines for pictures/character meets can be long, but move well enough. i think the busiest time is between dining, so if you can be online at the start of each photo session, get there early (again, you have to devote some focus to getting maximum pictures) and you will do fine. i don't think that there are regular character appearances or photo ops in the kids clubs, its more about if there is an activity that is character based like a PP has said. that said, character interaction in general onboard is very spontaneous and a lot of fun!

enjoy your cruise and go with the flow!

We have a program called Picture This where a character comes and we take photos of the child with the character and print them off and give them to families to keep.

As far as I know, this is not on all ships. Would be great if KT could mention the ship she's on.

whether they will let you down the slides with your water shoes on
AFAIK, as long as the water shoes are ones that won't come off easily (as in, NOT flip-flops) you can wear them on the slides. But there must also be no buckles, or metal parts on the shoes.
aquaduck dream 2014 rules 16014 P1020626 1500.jpg

3. Shutters - Roughly, how long is the wait for pics to be taken before the main dinner seating? I am on the fence about getting the cd since we have some family with us that can take pics for us. However, we will be fully dressing for the optional dress up and pirate nights and wouldn't want to miss out on great shots bc our family didn't take a great pic. Can our family take pics for us with the back drops just like the Shutters photographer?
We didn't try formal pics, but the character picture lines before earlyseatibgvarevshoet and the photographers will take pictures with your camera or phone. You can always buy a package and then get your money refunded if you end up being happy with your non pro photos.

What kind of clothing can you wear to cabanas? In the morning, can we dress for the pool with bathing suits and cover ups?
Cabanas was always super casual. Personally, I would never hesitate to wear swim covert ups in there but would not think just swim wear would be ok.

6. Are there stools in the bathrooms or available for little kids to go potty, reach the sink to brush teeth and wash hands? I read about people who brought there own and then someone who posted they have them for you if you ask.
I was told the ship would not provide them due to safety concerns.

8. If you traveled with kids, did they need water shoes for the deck and CC? There was another thread I was reading and the answers seemed divided, but not many of those people talked about their kids. Also, I've seen conflicting reports about whether they will let you down the slides with your water shoes on. So for those who had kids with water shoes, what did they do with them on the slides?
We always wore shoes but I'm a pansy. We just put ours in our lap on the slides. Didn't do pelican plunge.

I wouldn't bother trying to get there at 11:45. Your PAT is 12-12:30 so there's no sense in adding additional wait time to that.

I've seen pretty casual dress at cabanas and you could wear whatever you want.

I've done the disembark at port canaveral and I think the only time you save is the finding your suitcases time. It doesn't really take long though. All the suitcases have a certain character on them, we had chip or dale...can't remember. You go to the sign with your character on it and someone gives you your bags. It's pretty straightforward. You go through security whether you did the regular disembark or express. We spent a lot of time in security. We were "randomly selected" for additional screening. DH thinks it's because he's Arab though so if you aren't Arab you're probably fine. Please note...I do not know the reason why we were randomly selected....that is just DH cynical opinion.

I like water shoes. The steps to the aquaduck were hot. And at castaway cay there are broken shells and various creepy crawlies in the water. I like having something between the bottom of my feet and nature.

I opted not to bring my slr to castaway cay for the same reason. I was nervous about leaving it unattended.

Miami could be different and maybe I'm misremembering but I don't think DCL has you wait until a certain time to leave. You, from what I remember, can leave when you like. Like the other poster said, all you skip is getting your bags in the terminal. But if Miami is like can acetal and there's and elevator to take with bags (vs an escalator without having big bags) you're going to lose that saved time with the elevator.

Going into the customs building and saying "yes" to a porter offering his or her assistance is a terrific way to end the cruise experience. At PC, at least, they are incredibly familiar with the place and can help a great deal.

Hi,

There are a few different areas set up to take pictures just about every night and I have never waited more than ten minutes or so. I would get the CD mainly because if you don't take enough pictures to make it worth the money you get a full refund. I was able to get 143 pics with the CD which cost $195 making it well worth It, they even take pictures of you at CC on the beach, they captured very nice moments of my family. I am not sure if the people taking the pics would stand aside to let your family take pictures. I have heard that they wont but you never know I have never tried.

5. What kind of clothing can you wear to cabanas? In the morning, can we dress for the pool with bathing suits and cover ups?
Yes swimsuits with cover ups are acceptable.

In the stateroom bathroom no you will have to ask. All other restrooms I believe have some lower sinks just for the little ones.

7. We are thinking about Express Walk Off, but I'm a little hesitant both ways. We have been on a few cruises years ago with RC where you had to exit your cabin and wait for what seemed like an eternity to disembark. I didn't like it then and I can't see myself doing it with a 4 year old. However, on that same token, I imagine it would be pretty difficult to do with our luggage (2 small suitcases and a duffle bag) and stroller as well. Can someone please tell me how regular disembarkation works in Miami? Since you get tags, you have to wait for your number to be called right? How long does this process take and can you compare the time it takes to the Express Walk Off? We are the type who wouldn't want to stay on the boat for as long as possible. The thought that I could be home getting unpacked and starting laundry by 9-10 am is pretty exciting. I know that sounds weird, but our trip is over at that point and the list of things to do at home will already be running thru my mind.
I have only disembarked from PC but what happens is you eat breakfast at the restaurant from your last nights dining rotation and then you leave in waves afterwards so those from the main dining are leaving before those in the second seating dining or you can at cabanas and leave right after that, I have always had a smooth and quick disembarkation and then based on your luggage tag (last time we were tan Pluto) your luggage will be waiting at that area for you along with porters to help you.

Yes you will need water shoes it is the safest route to go especially since the deck can get pretty wet. And on CC it helps when walking around in the dining areas as well.

Happy planning !!!
Thank you all for reading and thanks in advance for taking time to answer!

1. Some characters are part of the activities. In the club our DD has seen Captain America, Hook, Peter Pan, and Pluto (to name a few). We have ran into several characters just by wondering the ship as well. There is also a row on your daily navigator labeled Character in the time sheet area that shows the time and location for the characters. This information is also on the back of the same navigator if you are looking for a specific character.

2. We like the convenience of the club registration online. When you get to the port you will still need to stand in line for the club registration but it is mainly for them to give the child their club bracelet and double check the information provided (allergies, code word, people authorized for pickup, etc). We normally check in for the ship first then go straight to the club line after.

3. Any of the pics the Shutters photographers take you should be able to take with your own camera as well. We have only purchased a few individual pictures from Shutters and that we because they were taken at dinner.

4. We never brought a garment bag so I wouldn't know, sorry.

5. Cabanas is super casual. As long as you are covered properly you will be fine. In other words if you are wearing a swim suit you must have a cover up ladies) or t-shirt (men), and you must have shoes on (flipflops are fine.)

6. I haven't seen any stools in the bathrooms but the public restrooms have shorter sinks for the kids. Our DD was 3 the first time we went and she was able to get on and off the toilet in the room with no problem. She did need a little help reaching the sink when brushing her teeth though. The Oceaneer club has smaller potties and sinks in their restroom.

7. For the express walk off you will have to leave the bags in your room on the last night and carry them off yourself as soon as they give the announcement. If you want to do the regular disembarkation then you put the tags left in your room on your bags and leave them outside your door on the last night. They will call each group by the character/color of the tags. Then you pick up your bag from the matching character's area. There are people there that can help you bring your bags to the curb.

8. My DD isn't fond of watershoes so I don't have much insight on this one. I definitely suggest having something on your feet while walking the deck since it can get rather hot sometimes.

9. No lockers but we haven't had any issues with items left unattended.

Hopefully this has helped :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter