• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

14 month old?

beautybelle

DIS Veteran
Any tips on how to tour the parks with a 14 month old DD. What to do in the parks, water parks, Packing tips, flying tips, etc. Anything you can think of will be appreciated. Thanks.

Subscribing... We are going in September and our youngest will be just about to turn 13 months old. Our other child is DD4, and we have gone to WDW with her when she was 3 and 4. I just remember bringing lots of snacks and juiceboxes! I know we'll be OK, but would love to hear advice from others about their experiences with little ones! Hope you have a great trip! :wizard:

My DS was 13 mos when we went in April. He had a great time. It was much easier than at 8.5 months. We tried to spend more time at MK than the other parks although we did go to all parks. The attractions at MK are really just great for this age. Really most anything at MK that doesn't have a height restriction worked out pretty well. Nothing is too too scary (we didn't do Pirates of the Carib or Haunted Mansion and the like). Disney's Playhouse at MGM is a must at this age! We saw the Lion King show at AK. We tried to do alot of character buffets because he did great with the characters.

We packed way too much the first trip so the 2nd time around we had his stroller and 1 small tote bag with us in the parks. You will have to have your bags searched everytime you go into a park so just be prepared for that.

We made sure to take a nap/swim every afternoon. That helped everybody recharge.

I was happy to see that WDW serves whole milk in most restaurants so you don't have to lug that around.

We didn't make it to the water parks so not sure how that is with kids that age.

We tried to make sure to pack alot of hats and lots of very lightweight clothes. We bought diapers at a grocery store down there. They sell diapers and sundries in most gift shops but they are very small sized packages and very expensive.

Oh - I think my favorite purchase was his stroller fan. I found one on ebay that worked great. It helped keep him cool and comfortable. We got a ton of comments on it as we walked around the parks.

The flights were really the worst part of the trip and he did okay for that. DVD player was a must for us on the plane. We tried to have juice or water ina sippy cup for him for take-off or landing but I'm not sure how much that helps at this age. He didn't seem too bothered by it.

I hope you have a great time!

Bring your own stroller, as the rentals aren't designed for young toddlers. Realize that you most likely won't get to see everything/do everything on this trip! The best thing we did when the kids were this young was to play the day by ear - we left the parks when the kids were tired/grumpy, we went to our room early at night, we let the kids sleep as much as they needed to sleep!

We will be taking our almost 15 mos old in early Oct. Our sons first trip was at 2 yrs old (hes now 4). Here's what I plan to do-

1. Bring my own stroller (Mac Quest which reclines and is still easy to carry on a bus). I have the Mac organizer bag in which I will keep snacks, etc (non-valuables). I got a fan from One Step Ahead, and have a Bundle Me Lite (sleeping bag type blanket which I love because she cant kick it off, keeps the sun, wind, rain off, and the top zips off). I also mark our stroller with a bright yellow bandana pinned to the top of the sunshade for easy id in a sea of strollers.

2. Valuables go into a huge fanny pack or backpack to be carried on rides.

3. I have an Ella Roo Mei Hip which I will use to carry her in line since strollers arent allowed.

4. I rigged a snack bag out of a doggie treat bag so she can feed herself. Prince Lionheart also makes clip on holders, but are a pain when trying to close the stroller. Im not sure if youve seen these, but they now make a sippy type screw on top that is supposed to work on little juice bottles (like the Gerber) and water bottles. I might try those to avoid losing a sippy cup (which is usually tied down anyways). That way too, the bottles can be tossed when we're done with them (or refilled). Also keep in mind the water at WDW might not be too pleasing for little ones. I use those single drink mixes like Crystal Light. Do keep the kids hydrated though.

5. Bubbles for waiting in line are very helpful. Sunscreen of course, even in Oct.

Im sure more will come up as I read these boards. There are some great ideas out there so keep reading and posting!

alison

Expecting DD#1 in September, so I am hoping we can go to Disney in early December 07, and she would be around 14 months. What do you think of going at that time of year with a little one?

Dallas_Lady said:
Expecting DD#1 in September, so I am hopinh we can go to Disney in early December 07, and she would be around 14 months. What do you think of going at that time of year with a little one?

Congrats on your upcoming arrival!

Not sure about that time of year...but I swear 13 mos was great for WDW. Can't believe people don't think they should go when they are that young. I would imagine that time of year would be cooler but nice with all the holiday decorations.

You will have a wonderful time with your dc. My youngest will be 14 months for our October trip, so I've been thinking ahead to that.

Flying trips: Have you bought your dc a seat? I highly recommend doing so and bringing along your carseat. We made the mistake of having our dd be a lap baby for our first trip, and it was a very looooong 2 1/2 hours! It's hard at that age because they want to be up exploring, and don't get the concept that they have to stay seated. If they have their own carseat, they already know the stay seated rule from being in the car, so it's not as huge of a deal. Bring along plenty of snacks, books, small (and quiet) toys.

Park Tips: Go at your baby's pace! This is a nice age because they don't know what they are missing if you don't do everything. Definitely take a nice, long afternoon break. Keep dc hydrated, and use plenty of sunscreen. My dd kept herself entertained for the longest time in the fountains at Epcot, so be prepared to stop touring for any of these unexpected breaks. I'm working at weaning ds off the bottle around his birthday. I don't want to have to mess with bottles for our trip. Bring along plenty of juice/water and a sippy, and plenty of snacks. I try to travel lightly to the parks. I keep essentials in a fanny pack, and then I bring along one of those stroller bags instead of a diaper bag. That makes life so much easier. If you're only park touring for 1/2 day, and then a break, you won't need to pack it as full each time. Oh, and I second bringing your own stroller!!!!!!!!!! Bring along a stroller cover and a stroller fan.

We've never done the water parks, but I'm sure there must be one with a zero entry pool. Those are wonderful for babies!!!!

Oh, one tip I can share is to always bring along outlet covers for the resort!!!

Have a great trip.

We will be taking DS in December for his first trip and he will be 14 months! Why not bring some stickers and a magna doodle to keep you little one busy on the flight, another diser also recommended some scotch tape!

We hope to have DS first haircut done at the barber shop in MK! :)

We just returned from Disney with DD13 months and DD5. She loved everything at every park. From Tea Cups to the cars stunt show. We took in a little cooler of bottled waters for us a nd little one and Capri Suns for DD5. We also fed DD13 months off of our plates as well as taking her individual applesauce and fruit cups as well as go tarts. We too had the stroller fan and it worked great. There really is not a reason to lug a lot of things to the park. A cup, wipes, few diapers and snacks! Hope this helps!

alloyd1170 said:
5. Bubbles for waiting in line are very helpful.

alison

Please do not blow bubbles in line! Bubbles can stain clothing, sting when they pop in your eye, and can cause children to dart out of line to chase a wayward bubble. My younger daughter is also very allergic to some bubble solutions (not the bubbles they use at VOTLM, not yet, anways) and we'd have to leave the line and go wash off her skin with lots of water if she got bubble solution on her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter