13 Adults + 20th Food & Wine Festival = My 40th Birthday Celebration! - Sep. 2015 PTR (updated 9/22)

9 days until WDW… It’s time for the Single Digit Dance!

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

WEATHER FORECAST, SCHEDULE CHANGES, AND LAST-MINUTE WISHES

I think the wildest roller coaster must be tracking the weather forecast! It goes up and down dramatically from day to day! Last night, every single day of our 8 days was forecast to be highs in the mid-80s, with rain every day and very cloudy, as in no sun – ugh. Today, the clouds are starting to part – 2 out of the 8 days look to have some sun, yay! High temps are fluctuating between 80-90 degrees, I can live with that. Pretty much no matter what, we are guaranteed to have high humidity, some rain, some sun, and some clouds. I just like tracking the forecast, even though it will undoubtedly change in the next 9 days.

I just checked park hours and realized that a few of them have changed, most notably morning EMHs have been added to the MK on Thursday and to the AK on Friday. This really may change some plans for me, since I will be by myself – it will be easy to get out the door and knock out a lot of rides during a morning EMH, then park hop if MK starts to get really crowded. I also have a feeling that I’ll be going back to the AK either Thursday or Friday, because I doubt we are going to get everything in that I want to do on Tuesday with my parents, B&F… so I may cancel my breakfast at Captain’s Grille on Friday morning and go to AK for the morning EMH. I really have to think all this through now, wow! :hyper:

We are now at the point in the planning where last-minute wishes start to creep in, which is great – I just have to resign myself to the fact that we won’t be able to fit every single activity in.

The first new wish is to watch the Happy HalloWishes Fireworks one night. We could do this either on Day 1 (Friday) or Day 3 (Sunday). I’m glad that I heard on a podcast that Disney pushed back the times of all their MNSSHP events, so HalloWishes is now at 10:00 PM – probably too late for my parents, but the ‘younger’ crowd may go to an MK resort and watch them. I think this is actually very doable for Sunday evening, since EPCOT closes at 9:00 PM, so we don’t really have anything else to do, unless we decide to swim in SAB that night. We don’t have dinner plans for that day, and I moved our DHS plans to Monday, so we may be able to hit a lounge for a late dinner and then watch HalloWishes on Sunday! That would be a great way to end my 40th birthday! pixiedust:

The other new wish is my father’s, and I think F would enjoy it as well since he’s an amateur pilot. Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar is scheduled to open Sept. 22nd in Downtown Disney! It looks “really cool”, as my dad put it. He’s a big Indiana Jones fan. I’d like to make that happen for him, we just have to figure out where to fit it in! I have a feeling that after a few hours in the parks each day, my parents will be ready for breaks, so going to DD may be the perfect solution one of the days. I looked on the WDW official website, and I’m surprised that Jock Lindsey’s isn’t on there yet under dining (then again, we all know how slow Disney IT is). :rolleyes: I don’t know if they will take ADRs or if it’s just walk-ins only, but we will find out!

The last bit of planning that I’m doing (as of now, anyway – ha ha!) is looking at a great website for PhotoPass Magic Shot ideas. I read on another thread here on the DISBoards that some PhotoPass photographers ask what magic shots you want, and they may not know what all is available to tell you. It looks like there are some really cool shots available! I also didn’t know that the WDW official website and the MDE app on my iPhone show where the PhotoPass photographers are located within each park, so I’m definitely going to check that out and then seek out those photographers every chance I can to have photos taken, since I’ve already paid for MemoryMaker. Plus, with up to 14 of us on rides, we will have a lot of great ride photos… granted, not all rides have photos, but still – that MemoryMaker is so going to be worth it!

That’s it for now! I really can’t believe we are going to WDW in 9 days! I don’t think it will feel real to me until I am home in NYC next Tuesday night, and even then I have to go to a conference all day and evening next Wednesday, so I’ll be doing laundry and packing next Thursday – that is probably when it will feel very real!!! :smickey:

I know exactly where you mean the view of the castle is on the PeopleMover - I always try to take a photo, and it always comes out blurry!
Me too!!! Well, the one time I tried it. LOL. :D
I think the wildest roller coaster must be tracking the weather forecast! It goes up and down dramatically from day to day! Last night, every single day of our 8 days was forecast to be highs in the mid-80s, with rain every day and very cloudy, as in no sun – ugh. Today, the clouds are starting to part – 2 out of the 8 days look to have some sun, yay! High temps are fluctuating between 80-90 degrees, I can live with that. Pretty much no matter what, we are guaranteed to have high humidity, some rain, some sun, and some clouds. I just like tracking the forecast, even though it will undoubtedly change in the next 9 days.
This is so annoying, haha. But, you are right. It's like that in IN too...who KNOWS what the weather is really going to be like. But, you know that.
I just checked park hours and realized that a few of them have changed, most notably morning EMHs have been added to the MK on Thursday and to the AK on Friday. This really may change some plans for me, since I will be by myself – it will be easy to get out the door and knock out a lot of rides during a morning EMH, then park hop if MK starts to get really crowded. I also have a feeling that I’ll be going back to the AK either Thursday or Friday, because I doubt we are going to get everything in that I want to do on Tuesday with my parents, B&F… so I may cancel my breakfast at Captain’s Grille on Friday morning and go to AK for the morning EMH. I really have to think all this through now, wow! :hyper:
WHY do they change things on me? Good thing I am reading your PTR...I would never have noticed. this might change some things for us, too!
The first new wish is to watch the Happy HalloWishes Fireworks one night. We could do this either on Day 1 (Friday) or Day 3 (Sunday). I’m glad that I heard on a podcast that Disney pushed back the times of all their MNSSHP events, so HalloWishes is now at 10:00 PM – probably too late for my parents, but the ‘younger’ crowd may go to an MK resort and watch them. I think this is actually very doable for Sunday evening, since EPCOT closes at 9:00 PM, so we don’t really have anything else to do, unless we decide to swim in SAB that night. We don’t have dinner plans for that day, and I moved our DHS plans to Monday, so we may be able to hit a lounge for a late dinner and then watch HalloWishes on Sunday! That would be a great way to end my 40th birthday! pixiedust:
Again, glad I am reading your PTR! Wouldn't have known that either! I think we might try to head over to the Contemporary and watch from that 4th floor spot that is open to the public. Or one of the lounges there. Maybe we will get to watch it with you for your birthday!!!

Fingers crossed that the weather holds out for your trip!

Love you will get some early morning time in the parks on your solo days. We're trying out AM EMH in November for the first time and I'm curious about the crowds.

Are you getting MNSSHP tickets? I think that would be lots of fun for the "younger" group! I watched some of the party events on Periscope this week and it looks like fun!

I love the site with the ideas for magic shots! I'm swearing to make better use of our Memory Maker over the next few trips. I think you will be able to do some really cute ones with your big group!

I really like the idea of watching HalloWishes from an MK resort - that's really smart. Do they pipe in the music anywhere? (I know that for Wishes some locations will pipe in music)

I can't believe Jock Lindsey's isn't on the Disney site yet ... especially because Morimoto is, and that opens a week later. I wonder if this means they won't be taking reservations and therefore don't see a need to put it up before it opens...

The PhotoPass listings on the app are relatively new - I think they came with the latest update. But I love the idea of looking up magic shots to do - you paid big money for Memory Maker, so it's awesome that you're getting good use out of it!

5 days to go!!! :rainbow:

SURPRISES FOR MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS

I can’t believe it, only 5 more sleeps until I go to WDW!!! :yay: The forecast is still calling for a good amount of rain, but we are all prepared with our ponchos, rain jackets and umbrellas. :fish:There are a few people in our crew who would rather not be out in the rain – so we will meet them in a bar later on!

Last-minute tweaks I’m making include changing my last day from the MK to probably the AK. It’s morning EMH at the AK, so I may be able to hit the AK and then still go to the MK. My mother confirmed that she doesn’t want to eat lunch at Harambe Market on Tuesday, and I definitely want to check it out, so I’ll need to go back for that and to do some other things at AK. Of course, when I went this morning to make FP+ changes and to work out a touring plan, both the Disney World site and the Touring Plans site were down! Darn Mercury retrograde. :sad2: So I’ll try again tonight or tomorrow.

My brother has decided that he doesn’t have enough EPCOT in his itinerary, so it looks like on Wednesday, B, F and I will be going to EPCOT – works for me! It’s morning EMH that day at EPCOT, so it may be a little more crowded, but I think we’ll mainly be in the World Showcase anyway.

Okay, on to my main topic tonight… I discovered something really fun that I decided to get not just for myself, but for my 13 friends and family members joining me on this trip. They are… MagicBand covers (AKA skins)!

I ordered from 3 different websites – MyFantasyBand, DVC Central, and MagicYourBand. All 3 sites were great – the MagicBand covers ranged in price from $4-6. Only one of the websites charged a shipping fee, and no minimum order was required on any of the sites. I ordered the most from MagicYourBand, and they surprised me by sending me two of each MB cover! How awesome!

I didn’t know everyone’s MB colors, but I knew some. At first, I was going to make thank-you notes to everyone for coming and include a MB cover in each note. Then reality set in – I ran out of time!:hourglass Plus, since I received two of almost all MB covers, I decided to let people choose their own. The funny part is that I’ve already given MB covers to D, B and F – and they all chose the covers I’d originally picked out for them! :flower: I’m glad I have extras, too, since now M is joining us.

So here are the different covers that I selected for the group!
ry%3D400

The monorail one is available with different colors for the stripe.
The tiki drinks cover, I chose for D, and it was her favorite! She has a pink MB.
I chose the Yo Ho cover for J, he loves PoTC, and his MB is red. So I'm giving him first dibs on that one.
I received the bottom cover as an extra that I didn't order, but I really like it! And with all those colors, it would go with just about any MB.
The top 3 are from DVC Central, and the bottom cover is from MagicYourBand (I think). Notice also how the bottom cover is larger than the other 3, but I don't think it will matter - the smaller three will just show a little bit more of the MBs themselves. D put hers on when I was with her, and it looked great!

Here are more covers:
ry%3D400

These are all from MagicYourBand, so I got 2 of each of these!
The top one is a space design that I chose for my dad, to go with his blue MB - we will see if he selects it or not!
The second one is a colorful mosaic that reminded me of It's a Small World. I thought of my mom for that one. Her MB is yellow.
The third one... funny story. When I asked G what color he wanted for his MB, he said "Topaz". Well, you can't see it very well in this photo, but this cover is a blue carbon fiber that is very shiny - the closest I could get to topaz! So we'll see if G likes it; if not, he can choose another one.
I love the Spaceship Earth covers, in pink (how it's lit up at night), or in the standard silver. L's MB is pink, I thought she'd like this one. And I thought maybe J's dad and G's stepdad would like the SE silver ones.

The next two are Food & Wine specific, but slightly different colors - I thought J's mom and G's mom would like these.
The striped one, I selected for B - his MB is green, and he immediately chose that one when I showed him all of them.
And the bottom plaid one, I selected for F to g with his yellow MB, and he really liked it! Yay!

I also, of course, selected some MBs for myself, to go with my outfits... details to come very soon!

This week is going to go quickly... I took the train back to DC this evening. I have to work in DC for 2 days, then I fly back to NYC on Tuesday evening. I have to go to a conference all day Wednesday and help with a fundraiser on Wednesday evening. Then I'm taking off Thursday to unpack, do laundry, and re-pack for WDW! And I need to get a pedicure! So exciting, I can't believe it's almost here!!! :mickeyjum

Those skins are amazing!!! A couple of them seem to have a bit of a retro feel - especially the monorail and tiki ones. I love it!

THIS WEEK. Nothing is more deserving of dancing bananas. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Those skins are amazing!!! A couple of them seem to have a bit of a retro feel - especially the monorail and tiki ones. I love it!

THIS WEEK. Nothing is more deserving of dancing bananas. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Yes, I like that retro feel, too!

Are you beyond excited? Have a wonderful time, and hopefully we will run into each other! :hyper2:

3 days! 3 days! THREE DAYS!!! :yay::yay::yay:

MY OUTFITS AND UPDATED PLANS
I cannot believe in less than 72 hours, I will be at WDW!!! :cool1:

The forecast is looking the same… hot, humid, 50% chance of scattered thunderstorms every afternoon. I’m hoping for the best!

OK, on to the all-important topic of what I am going to wear at WDW! Typically, I have donned my Disney t-shirts for park visits. My last trip in November 2014, I bought my first set of sequin Minnie ears and fell in love with them, so much so that I bought another pair in a different color when I visited Disneyland in June!

Since this is my 40th birthday trip, I’ve decided to step it up a little on a few days. Yes, my friends, I am Disney Bounding! princess:

To Disney Bound means to create a look inspired by favorite Disney characters. It can’t be considered a costume, since adults will not be allowed into the parks in costumes (unless it’s a special event like MNSSHP). I am not Disney Bounding every single day because it actually took me a lot of time and creativity just to come up with 3 looks! So here are my planned outfits by day, with some updates to our plans.

DAY 1 (Friday)

Activities: Flight and arrival to YC, GF Café for lunch, MK in the afternoon

This outfit is inspired by none other than Donald Duck!

ry%3D400

This outfit consists of a blue v-neck t-shirt, white casual capris (very comfortable for traveling), white Sketchers GoWalks (I love these shoes!), red Baggalini purse (waterproof!), and nautical jewelry – anchor earrings and an anchor necklace. I’m also adding a whale tail charm to my necklace that was a gift from my brother. Oh, and the white-framed sunglasses with blue mirror shades complete the look, along with my new blue MagicBand and “The Duck” MB cover – I love it!

I am bringing extra clothes to change into each afternoon or evening, depending on how sweaty I am and what we are doing. For Friday evening, I’m bringing a navy t-shirt and also white shorts and blue sandals if I want to change, and keep the same accessories. We will just be grabbing dinner at the resort or somewhere nearby, but a change of clothes might feel good, especially if we take time for a swim! J, G and M are going swimming after they visit AK, so I’d like to join them, and my parents are all for pool time also, as long as the weather cooperates!

(I realized after the fact that my clothes look really sloppy and wrinkled – they aren’t, I promise!)

DAY 2 (Saturday)

Activities: Parisian breakfast, EPCOT

Outfit #1 is a short-sleeved top I have with the Eiffel tower, black capris, black Sketchers GoWalks (seriously, buy a pair of these shoes!), a grey Baggalini purse, my Mickey heart earrings, black sunglasses, my silver Minnie ears (but I won’t wear these to brunch), and my pink MB with this fun MB cover that is especially for F&WF!

ry%3D400

I will probably take a pool break on this day because no doubt EPCOT will be crazy crowded. B, F and L arrive just before our dinner at Captain’s Grille, and then some of us will probably head to Trader Sam’s or another MK resort bar to meet up with those going to watch the MSEP and Wishes at the MK. So Outfit #2 is a sleeveless top that is blue and white with a waves pattern, blue capris, blue sandals, a white purse, a few other accessories, and this MB cover that I custom-made, to go on my blue MB:

ry%3D400

DAY 3 (Sunday – My 40th Birthday!)

Activities: MK before and after brunch, birthday brunch at Kona Café

Outfit #1 – This is my favorite Disney Bound outfit – it’s inspired by Minnie Mouse!

ry%3D400

I’ll be wearing a longer black top with red capris, and yellow Vans shoes with white & black Disney socks (I bought these after my socks and shoes got soaked in a downpour last November at WDW). My red purse will have a Minnie charm on it.

ry%3D400

I’ll wear my Mickey watch, my Mickey heart earrings, and a Minnie bow charm on my silver necklace – another purchase that I love! I also bought some fun retro yellow-framed sunglasses, and I’ll wear my black & red sequin ears.

ry%3D400

Finally, I bought a Minnie-inspired MB cover for my red MB:

ry%3D400

I love this outfit so much!!!

After MK, I’m not sure what the plan is. I am bringing the black dress with white polka dots that I wore to J&M’s baby shower, my plan is to wear that to the Flying Fish signature dinner, but I may wear it on this evening as well if we go out.

DAY 4 (Monday)

Activities: DHS in the morning, EPCOT in the afternoon for F&WF and Eat to the Beat’s Wilson Phillips concert.

Outfit #1 is inspired by my all-time favorite frog, Kermit the Frog!

ry%3D400

I’ll wear a light green top, white capris, white Sketchers GoWalks, and black sunglasses. I bought some pink sapphire drop earrings that are really pretty (hard to see in this photo, sorry), and I’ll have the Eat, drink and be merry cover on my pink MB. The Muppet Show bag is near and dear to my heart, and it was a gift from L several years ago, so I’m sure she will be tickled to see it making an appearance. I also bought awhile ago a colorful and fun Kermit watch.

ry%3D400

I’ll go to Muppet Vision 3D in this outfit, yay! I’ll be sure to get some great photos with the props and fountain in that area!

Outfit #2 will be for dinner at Cape May Café, it’s nothing special – just a nice top and nice white capris.

DAY 5 (Tuesday)

Activities: AK in the morning, pool in the afternoon

Outfit #1 is an animal print top and capris. I searched but didn’t find a MB cover that I liked that was good for AK, oh well.

Outfit #2 will be for dinner at Boma, just a nice sleeveless top and capris for that.

DAY 6 (Wednesday)

Activities: EPCOT, MK in the evening

Outfits for this day are just general tops and capris, nothing fancy.

DAY 7 (Thursday)

Activities: I’ll be solo on this day. I’ve updated my plans to either be lazy around the resort this morning or go back to EPCOT, then to DHS for a few FP+’s in the afternoon.

Outfit #1 – I bought a great Pooh t-shirt, it’s so soft and nice, from the Disney Store. It’s grey with an outline of Winnie the Pooh in brown. I’ve always wanted to meet Pooh in the UK, so that’s my plan on this day before I leave EPCOT for DHS.

As I mentioned earlier, I’ll wear my polka dot dress and my Minnie accessories (minus the ears) to the Flying Fish signature dinner on this night.

DAY 8 (Friday)

Activities: I decided that I need more AK time, and it’s AM EMH at AK, so my plan is to go there and then to MK, before I have to take the DME back to the airport. I’m wearing my Mickey & Minnie t-shirt because I have a FP+ to meet Mickey at Town Hall, yay! Then I’m packing another shirt in my carry-on to probably change into before I fly home.

I bought a swim dress and a tankini for SAB. I’m taking both a swim skirt and swim shorts to wear with the tank top.

And last but not least, I bought a great pair of Nautica PJs that have sailboats on the sleep shorts! They are so soft, and I’ve resisted temptation to save them just for this vacation.

2631699_fpx.tif

(That is obviously not me, ha!)

Phew! Now I just need to fly home to NYC tonight, do laundry, and pack up all of this stuff to wear it all! :tigger:

I love all of the MB covers! I didn't know you could remove them from a MB - I thought they were a permanent thing. It will be so fun to customize your band to match your outfit!

Love all of the clothes! Disney Bounding is amazing and I spend lots of time amazed at how creative people are!

I agree with you on the Go Walks - they are amazing. I got my first pair for our October trip and they are literally like walking on a pillow!

Where did you get your Mickey earrings? They look cute!

Ah - 3 days!!

I LOVE ALL YOUR OUTFITS!!!!!!

IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!!

AHHHHH!!!!!

No, seriously, I love your DB outfits! I am always so impressed by DBing - I have yet to try it! I REALLY like your Kermit one!!!!

OMG you're leaving tomorrow!!!

Okay, that said ...
I love all of the outfits - and the fact that you have matching MB covers for each one! I think my favorites are Minnie Mouse and Kermit.
Bringing a second outfit for each day is a great idea - I've never thought of that, but sometimes towards the end of the day I do feel like I want to change, so I may steal that idea!

I totally agree with you on the not DisneyBounding every day thing - I did it for my last few trips (4 days and 5 days) and it was brutal. For my next trip I'm doing a maximum of 2 or 3 DisneyBounds. It takes a lot of work to come up with those outfits!

Have an awesome trip!!

Sorry I have not been posting, but I have been reading! Your outfits look really really cute! Can't believe it's finally here.
Hope you have a great time and happy birthday! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Where did you get your Mickey earrings? They look cute!

I found them last year on Main Street USA, one of the shops as you're walking toward the castle on the right-hand side. I do love them, thanks!

I LOVE ALL YOUR OUTFITS!!!!!! I love your DB outfits! I am always so impressed by DBing - I have yet to try it! I REALLY like your Kermit one!!!!
I know you're probably traveling to WDW or are already there, sorry I'm late! Thanks for the compliments! Hope you have an awesome trip!

I love all of the outfits - and the fact that you have matching MB covers for each one! I think my favorites are Minnie Mouse and Kermit.
Bringing a second outfit for each day is a great idea - I've never thought of that, but sometimes towards the end of the day I do feel like I want to change, so I may steal that idea!
Thanks! I think Minnie is my favorite, and I like the Kermit one as well. :-)

I just finished packing, and it feels like I'm bringing a lot, but I think I'll be glad I have that second outfit to change into every day if I want to. I decided to bring a detergent pod in case I need to do some hand laundry in the sink or bathtub!

Sorry I have not been posting, but I have been reading! Your outfits look really really cute! Can't believe it's finally here.
Hope you have a great time and happy birthday! Can't wait to hear about your trip!
Thanks so much, I appreciate it! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter