1 crazy family+2 resorts+5 parks+1 snake+1 surprise=A Mickeystoontown report 4/3x2

Hmmm.... We stayed at POR and loved it.... The food court was a highlight. It was huge and never crowded. We loved the pool also.... We had to stay there since there were five of us. I wonder if it's a lot different than the FQ area... Honestly I never went over to look. Lol. Did you happen to check out Riverside while you were there?

Unfortunately, we did not go over to POR but I sure wish that we had. It's not that we didn't like FQ. We just didn't love it.

I am all caught up now!!!! I will confess that I followed the links and didn't read everyone else's post :guilty:. I know that makes me a bad, bad Diser :blush:. Seeing the pictures of POFQ I know what you mean about being like home; we have all the Mardi Gras stuff around Mobile too. I did like the courtyards in some of your earlier pictures though. I like that 'little village/town' feel you get with the breezeway type courtyards. That was one of my favorite things about CSR.

Your check in experience was almost just like our experience when we stayed at CSR. I don't know if you remember me talking about it or not.

Not a bad Diser at all. I sometimes skip chit chat if I'm trying to catch up.

We toured the CSR and it was very pretty!

Nice room, and I like that POFQ is small, but that decor in the food court and shops is just too over the top for me! Not a fan of the big masks staring me down while I try to eat!!
Sorry you had such lousy food there. I think the POR food court is better and has lots of good options.

LOL at your boss's call! What did he think you were going to do? :confused3

The food was just :crazy2:! I have no idea what the boss thought that I would do. I guess he just wanted somebody to fuss to.

Nice to see so many updates :thumbsup2 I was really interested in what you thought of POFQ. We have thought about staying there but I really really do not like the mardi gra or the alligator decorations :confused3 That big mask of the man's face in the food court gives me the creeps ! Oh yeah cute photo with your head in the alligator's mouth :rotfl:

The prop/theming didn't creep us out and it was a pretty resort but it just wasn't for us.

I'm so sorry that POFQ was making such a bad impression on you! There really isn't much to see, but we did love the small size. Having said that we didn't do any resort days when we stayed there, so that didn't much matter.

I wasn't too impressed with the food court at FQ either. I did love the Mardi Gras warehouse feel though. I thought it was fun!

Having said all that, I'm a lot like you. I want to be whisked away to something different from what I see every day.:goodvibes

I couldn't believe how small FQ is. I know that appeals to a lot of folks but it was much too small.

I definitely want to be whisked away......as a matter of fact, I could stand to be whisked away right now.

Enjoying it! popcorn::

Yay! Glad that you are enjoying the read. Should have another update posting this afternoon.

Lisa I loved all the pictures of POFQ. As you know we are booked there for our Xmas trip but if FD comes out and POFQ is not included I am thinking of changing to CBR. Sorry the food court was bad that sure doesn't make me happy. Did you like the size of the resort or did it seem too small and/or conjested? Also what did Hunter think of the pool? I am concerned my "Mr. Cool 13 yr old Grandson" will think it is lame. BTW...Hunter looks all grown up...what happened????? And what a handsome dude he is! waiting to see your next installment.

Great update! Those rooms look really pretty :) Did you ever get to try the POR food court during your trip? That food court is excellent and has the best "Create Your Own Salad" station. The cheese danish was pretty good in the morning too ;) I may or may not had one every morning. :rolleyes1

The room really was pretty. No, we didn't get over to POR but I wish that we had. We could tell that Mama wasn't up for the walk.

Lisa, POFQ is small! Loved it and thought the feel and theme were well done, but we personally missed the spread out feel of the larger mods.

I will be interested to hear your final thoughts on POFQ and if you got over to POR at all.

Your mama looks great, I hope I look half that good at her age!

That's what we missed.....the spread out feel! I'm glad to hear that somebody can relate.

Mama looks really good to be 79! I hope that I look like that when I turn 79.

Holy huge update! :rotfl: I love seeing your pictures of the resort. I think I would rather stay at POR, and in the Tree-houses. :goodvibes Mom and I ate at the food court at POR and really enjoyed it.
I thought your hair looked longer, and I thought it was really cute. We always take our bath supplies also. I need lots of conditioner so you know.....it's easiest. :lmao:

I know! The update was big compared to some of my others.

My hair is definitely longer than on last trip's. I wanna cut it off again!

Love the dresses and how they were able to coordinate them with where they were each day.

I never remember to look up when I am out and about. I don't even notice the masks in the food court. And I never noticed those headless people in the store. You should post that over at the Weird Odd Strange photo thread.

I took a picture of snail on our trip in April at POFQ. I am 57 years old and NEVER saw a snail and shell on the move.

Weren't the dresses cute!

I hadn't thought about the weird odd strange photo thread. I need to find it again.

Seriously! You hadn't ever seen a snail moving on like that. We have little bitty ones but not big ones like that sucker was.

Love the snail picture! Too bad about the rude CM and bad food. I know you are glad you tried it but now know it is not for you. I keep trying different DVC resorts to see which I like best. I am with you on scenery. I have not tried VWL because it seems so close to where I live in the Smokies.

I'm glad that we tried it too. If we hadn't, we would always wonder whether or not we should.

We may be headed to the Smokies this Thanksgiving!

Love the funny pictures of you and hunter with the statues, I love bringing home silly pictures from vacation! I know I can always count on some silly pics in your trip reports!

There WILL be more silly pics!

Great pics of the resort. Love the purple in the rooms (My fave color!) I am not really a fan of the dark woods for the most part but it works in that room.

Sorry you didn't like your dinner, I remember it being good there but it's been years. Maybe they just had an off night.

The rooms were really pretty! I'm not sure if they were having an off night but it was nasty.

I am loving your pictures of POFQ. To me it's just so beautiful. It's on my to do list and if it works out will be one of my 2 choices for staying on property next. I like how small it is too. Food wise....I haven't found much in the way of the food coursts that is stunning yet. I think the Values have the best ones, but even then not always fabulous, though I have a few favorites at Pop, which the ydid away with.

I think the ribs at Disney for the most part are not that great anywhere, though WCC had some good ones last time I was there.

I can't wait to hear more.

The resort is beautiful but it's something that we see all of the time so I guess that's why we were underwhelmed.

We're pretty easy to please when it comes to food...especially John but this was just gross.

I enjoyed your pictures of your room and the resort. Thanks for taking us along on the (short) tour with you!

Love the boat ride to and from DTD. How cool that you saw fireworks- a really nice surprise. That is a great pictue looking back at DTD all lit up!

How disappointing about your food! Not a very good average- 2 meals ok, 2 inedible. What I wouldn't pay to see you and Mama storming the kitchen and showing them what's what!!

Very cool snail!

It was neat to watch the fireworks while our boat sailed back to the resort. Very cool.

It takes a lot for John to throw away food but even he couldn't stomach it.

My Mama could have taught those chefs a thing or two about Louisiana cookin' that's for sure.

All caught up again!

We love POR...I've never stayed at POFQ, but we did walk there one morning for breakfast. Our experience in the food court was a good one, but I'm sorry to hear that yours was not. :(

The boat ride to DTD is one of my very favorite things about POR! What a beautiful and relaxing ride! Glad you were able to experience it.

I would have chalked up the bad food experience to us Louisiana folks judging Louisiana food in Florida but the greasy nastiness had nothing to do with it.

The boat ride was so nice!

Great updates.

Thank you m'am!

I just got back from our summer vacation to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and just got caught up on your TR. We drove through Cades Cove one evening and I shared with those in my car the story of when your guys were told to put their hands in the air to avoid the mosquitos or something. Anyway, that's too bad about the Food Court experience. We stayed at POR on our first trip to WDW and I loved it. We didn't take the time to walk around POFQ, but I have read too about the small size of the resort. I just don't like the faces in the food court...way too creepy for me and my crew. On a side note, I love the photo of your mom and Hunter in the food court. I just love the dynamic between her and your kids.

Oooooh you are just the person that I need to talk to. Not about Disney but about Gatlinburg. We are going to see Lacey & Jesse over Thanksgiving. Short but sweet trip. We usually stay in Pigeon Forge but are thinking Gatlinburg. Pass on any tips that you have pleeeease!

I hadn't thought about the hands in the air trick in a while. I need to try it here and see if it works. We have mosquitos everywhere!

Mama and my kids are super super close and I wouldn't trade it for anything. She loves them with all her heart and it's mutual.

Sorry about your food court experience. I was looking at POFQ or Riverside and opted with going to my fav CBR! So glad I did! Those big masks freak me out! I would have taken one look at them and would of run the other way!
Love the pic of you and Hunter! Can't wait for more!

I don't know why the food was so bad that night but it definitely was. Yuck!

Thanks, I liked that pic too.

Lisa I loved all the pictures of POFQ. As you know we are booked there for our Xmas trip but if FD comes out and POFQ is not included I am thinking of changing to CBR. Sorry the food court was bad that sure doesn't make me happy. Did you like the size of the resort or did it seem too small and/or conjested? Also what did Hunter think of the pool? I am concerned my "Mr. Cool 13 yr old Grandson" will think it is lame. BTW...Hunter looks all grown up...what happened????? And what a handsome dude he is! waiting to see your next installment.

I guess that we are used to the spread out feel of the CBR so the FQ seems way too small for our liking. I can see how that would be a perk/like to other guests though.

Hunter didn't swim that night but he did comment on it looking a little kiddish. It was a nice size though.

I have no idea how Hunter grew up so fast. It seems like yesterday that he was a little tike.

Boy am I behind!!:worried: I'm going to try and get caught up soon!! Your TR's always make me smile.

Hey Carey! Good to see you!

Mamaw puckers up for Mr. BlueButt!

The sun rose over Port Orleans French Quarter way too early for us weary travelers. Our original plan was to walk over and try out the beignets for breakfast but, after our not-so-good encounter at the food court, combined with the fact that we aren’t big breakfast eaters, it was decided that we’d eat from the snacks that we brought along with us. Hunter’s pizza came with a carton of milk since it was a kids’ meal and we had it in the fridge along with a few screw top Cokes. John was making fun of Hunter and his 6 foot tall self sipping from a little bitty milk carton like a little baby. Hunter, ever the jokester starting making crazy faces and generally acting silly. :p

John and I got ready first so that we could pack the overnight bags back into the luggage carrier while Mama and Hunter went through their morning routine. There was a car parked in front of our’s and it had a car cover like I’d never seen before. It even covered their antennae:

We did our last walk-through of the room and readied ourselves to bid farewell to French Quarter. It really is a lovely resort and I’m glad that we tried it but it just wasn’t for us. Forget about the rude castmember who checked-us in and the bad dinner there. That wasn’t what made up our minds. As we feared before we booked the extra night at French Quarter (or even when we booked Riverside but changed our minds), it simply looked too much like home. The size of the resort, which is a big plus to many, was a minus in our book as well. I like to get out, walk around a resort and explore. The walk from end to end of French Quarter took no time at all. There didn’t seem to be as many nooks and crannies to check out. Again, I’m glad that we gave it a try. Had we not, we’d have always wondered what it was like. :confused3

I snapped a couple of more pictures while standing in the parking lot:

I handed the camera over to Hunter and told him to take another picture of the entrance sign just in case the other hadn’t turned out well:

Because we had nixed the idea of breakfast, we had some extra time on our hands. As I said in my pre-trip report, I had a day marked off to visit two resorts and have dinner at another. The more that we thought about it, the more sense it made to check out one before driving over to the Caribbean Beach Resort to check in for our package. So, what resort did we decide to visit this morning?

Was it?

Nope.

Was it?

Yep, it was! We stopped at the Guard Station and told them that we were there to check out the resort and look around a bit. He asked for my I.D. and then gave us a map of the resort. I parked way out in No Man’s Land, not only to protect the SCAR from being bumped by other car doors (still do that even after we’ve had the car for a year and a half) but also because we pretty much had to. The parking lots seemed to be overflowing with cars with lots of them being park over the parking lines or they turned in funny and were all wonkily parked. I don’t like parking to those kinds of vehicles. They either don’t know how to drive/park or they don’t care. Meaning, they may hit my car because they can’t help it or they don’t care. Anybody else stay away from parking near those types? No? Maybe it’s just me then. :scratchin

Lots of pictures of the Art of Animation are coming up!

One of the things that turns us off of the value resorts is the fact that there is just one bus stop for each park. One long line that’s unshielded from the weather. To some that may be a minor consideration but, for us, it’s semi-major. I had asked many on the AoA thread if the bus stops were covered and nobody could say for sure if they were or if they weren’t. As we approached the bus stop, I could see that most portions of the lines were actually covered.

We crossed over the cross walk and entered into Animation Hall:

I believe the store was just to our left and we walked in to have a look-see at the merchandise they had for sale.

They had some really cute things for sale and they did have some resort specific merchandise which gives me some hope that Disney may decide to start more in the other resorts as well.

Looks like Hunter tried on a hat:

**Continued in next post

Landscapes of Flavor’s entrance was right there so we walked on in:

It was very big and it echoed quite loudly with all of the squeals and laughter.....and crying and yelling. Ahh, families traveling to Disney.

Hunter has collected smashed pennies for quite some time and didn’t pass up the opportunity to get one from Art of Animation:

After the walk through of the food court, we walked outside into the hot Florida sunshine to see these guys staring down at us:

Not really knowing what we wanted to see first, we went to our left:

And were soon in the Lion King section which is so cool! I loved this section of the resort:

Mamaw puckers up for Mr. BlueButt! Mamaw’s got a boyfriend! Mamaw’s got a boyfriend! (Sang in my singsong voice)

**Continued in next post

The Elephant Graveyard “playground” which is really nothing more than a tunnel or two for the kids to go through since there are signs everywhere saying no climbing. But I thought it was a playground?

My big kid sitting on an elephant tusk:

Mamaw and Hunter checking things out more closely:

By this time, the sun was beatin’ down on us and there was no shade to be found. Mamaw was starting to get hot but wasn’t complaining. I could just tell that she was. We plodded on and came to the Little Mermaid section of the resort:

It was getting hotter than blue blazes outside so John, Mama and I went to stand in the shade of the gigantic Ursula while Hunter went to check out the girls at the pool. That boy ain’t foolin’ nobody when he said that he was walking over to take more pictures.

**Continued in next post

We turned around and went back the way we came and as we passed by the graveyard, the misters were spraying giving it a different look:

When we made it back to the food court, Mamaw said that she was opting out of seeing the rest of the resort. It was simply too hot and the walking was getting to her. She told us to take our time and see all that we wanted to see. She would be waiting for us there. I told her to at least go inside the food court and sit in the air conditioning. No need to stay out in the heat. She agreed and we set off to see more.

It was getting rather hot and sticky out and it came as no surprise that the pool area was busy. Heck, I would have hopped on it if I were staying there. We continued on and found ourselves in the Cars section of the resort:

I can’t remember.....didn’t part of the Cars movie take place in the desert? If so, then they hit the theming in this area of the resort, it right on. You may be able to see in the pictures that there’s simply no shade. Just like in the other part of the resort that we had seen so far. It was hot!

John and I talked about the fact that Mama was already beginning to tire from the heat and walking and we hadn’t even hit the parks yet. We are 31 years her junior and, heck, it was getting hot to us and we felt as if our behinds were already dragging. Hopefully, this wasn’t a foreshadowing of how this trip was going to be.

**Continued in next post

Don’t’ look now but there’s a cop car sittin’ over there. Looks like he’s eyeballing somebody:

By the time we made it back to the food court, we were parched! The walk from one end to the other and back seemed like a mighty long one with the sun bearing down on us. Sometime during the walk, Garden Grocer called to tell me that our groceries had been delivered to Caribbean Beach. I thanked the GG rep and agreed to do their survey once I got home.

We found Mama sitting inside the food court with a bottle of water and she was people watching. I hadn’t noticed until she pointed it out but the floor was dirty. Bits and pieces of food were all over the floor, drinks had been spilled, etc. The area where you put your dishes was almost overflowing. There were castmembers on hand cleaning the area but I think that the resort and food court is so large that it was hard for them to keep up. Maybe they were understaffed that day?

We were ready to go and were talking about this and that when it hit John....what hit John?

**Up next: We gotta go back! You’ve had that forever! It’s magic!

Loved your tour of AoA!!! What an amazingly beautiful, well-themed resort! So Disney!

Love the picture of Mama with Rafiki.

Oh-Oh! Who forgot what???

Loved your tour of AoA!!! What an amazingly beautiful, well-themed resort! So Disney!

Love the picture of Mama with Rafiki.

Oh-Oh! Who forgot what???

John's such a nut....he kept saying "this place looks like a cartoon". Duh! That's what it is supposed to look like.

I thought that the resort was very very well themed. The only complaint was that there was no shade along the walkways.

I didn't even know that Mama and Hunter had taken that picture until I started looking through them. She's such a hoot!

Caught up again. Sorry you didn't care for POFQ. Two years ago we stayed in our first moderate, Port Orleans Riverside(we had always stayed in a value) and fell in love with POR. I'm a runner so I would alway use the pathways linking POR & POFQ for running days. Last year we went over to check out AoA and while we thought the decor was cute, the food court seemed so chaotic! We too noticed the messiness of the food court. There were plenty of people working hard but it's just big and busy! After having stayed at POR for 2 years now, and visiting AoA, I just don't thin we could go back! Anyway, thanks for the updates and looking forward to more! Oh yeah...I saw John's moonshine shirt! We live only about 1 1/2 from Gatlinburg so it's pretty close to home!

Wow! Thanks for all the great pictures! That resort is adorable!

I hope you all get some relief from the heat and can enjoy your park day. ;)

I loved seeing your photos from Art of Animation. We stayed there one night in Dec. Our free dining package was starting the next day at Pop Century, so we spent one night in the Little Mermaid wing. We loved the resort and wished the Little Mermaid rooms had been included in the free dining promotion. Oh well, maybe next time we go it will be included in the special offers. The pool was so much fun for the kids that they didn't mind not having a slide at the pool. Your are right on though about the lack of shade. When we made it around to the Cars section, we were hot and it was December. I can imagine how hot and sticky it was at the end of May.

Another great update!

Art of Animation looks very cute and colorful. Someday maybe we'll journey over there to check it out. I doubt we'll be staying there, though. I just can't do the smaller rooms at the value resorts. I've already got 2 high maintenance girls at 4 and 11, so that's just asking for trouble. :rotfl2:

Okay, so what hit John? A bird? A plane? Superman?

Or did he forget something back at FQ?

It can't be that he forgot something at home because you've already been gone for 2 days almost.

Another great update!

Art of Animation looks very cute and colorful. Someday maybe we'll journey over there to check it out. I doubt we'll be staying there, though. I just can't do the smaller rooms at the value resorts. I've already got 2 high maintenance girls at 4 and 11, so that's just asking for trouble. :rotfl2:

Okay, so what hit John? A bird? A plane? Superman?

Or did he forget something back at FQ?

It can't be that he forgot something at home because you've already been gone for 2 days almost.

I'm guessing he forgot something at POFQ...but what???

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

All caught up!

I loved the last update! Your tour around AoA was amazing! Beautiful pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter