1/2 day at AK and MGM doable?

hnfrisk

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if you thought spending a 1/2 day at AK and then taking a break at resort for the kids naps and heading out later for MGM is a good plan or not?
We have three kids 5 , 3, infant. We live near the Bronx Zoo so the zoo aspect could be skipped at AK. If we do decide to do just one of those parks which would be better for our kids ages.
thanks -
heather

IMO, yes. We're planning a half day at MGM this year, and a full day for AK - but I'm guessing we'll be done early there and just go back for a resort "rest" afternoon.

There are a few great things at each park, but I don't think enough to fill a whole day. MGM has a few too many shows for us - I have three boys and they refuse both Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast! We'll do the stunt shows, hopefully TOT, and Fantasmic, but that's about it. With a bit younger kids, like yours, I would skip this park if you have to skip one. I've heard good things about the Playhouse Disney show, but even my little one doesn't watch that, so....

At AK, we enjoyed the Safari ride, and I'd really like to see Festival of the Lion King this year. Also Dinosaur and the new Finding Nemo show are on the list.

MK is a definite two days - in fact last year we were in Disney for 5 days, and we spent 2 1/2 at MK!! Your little ones will love it!

If all you want to do is the major attractions, than yes. If you really want time to see all the shows and explore the trails at AK, then no.

I believe it's all a matter of what you really want to see & do. Personally, I've been to both parks numerous times & always find something new each time we go.

IMO, the longer you're at each park the more you can experience & the more time you have to see more attractions.

I think it is doable, especially if as you say you are going to skip the animal parts. AK doesn't take very long. We are planning this aproach for our trip in May, AK 9-2:30 then over to MGM 4-close. We will have a rental car so going from park to park is easy.

hnfrisk... when you say you will skip the zoo aspect... haven't you heard? Animal Kingdom is many things but it is Naughtazu!!!:rotfl2:

It would work out if you don't want to do everything just as the previous poster stated. If you go to AK at opening, then leave around 1pm or so to take a break, and then go to MGM by 4ish, you should be able to do the major stuff easily. If you want to slow down and enjoy AK or Mgm or if you want to do everything like our family, then it doesn't seem possible.

We usually just spend 1/2 day at each of these parks. Next time, we are skipping AK (it's our least favorite). For kids your age at AK there is the safari, Lion King, Pocahontas show, boneyard (playground) and Nemo. I thought the Planet watch was boring (just a petting zoo and other stuff). The bug movie was OK, but isn't great.

At MGM there is the movie ride, Beauty & Beast, Muppet 3D, Light, Motors Action, backlot tour, Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney, Honey I shrunk Kids Playground, Indiana Jones, Star Tours and Tower of Terror (5 year old).

If you only want to do one, I suggest just going to MGM and skipping AK. But you could do AK in the morning and MGM later in the day.

We always spend an entire day at AK & MGM and leave wanting more. Every family is different though. My family wasn't that impressed with Epcot when DS was 6 and DD3. We skipped it the next trip with them. We will give it another try now that DS is almost 10 and DD 6. If you have time you could go back to either park that you really enjoyed another day.

Tricialiv brings up a good point -- every family is different. My family wouldn't skip Epcot for anything except MK (proven now by my DD6 who is going for the second time in three weeks and insists on these same two parks). But, we are okay doing AK and MGM every few trips. I have a co-worker whose family has 5 yo, 3 yo (I think that's right) and they do exactly what you said. Apparently it works just right for them. As a matter of fact, that's how we'll handle it going forward (starting this summer when we go for more than 2 days). We typically have done morning Epcot, afternoon/evening MGM then little more than 1/2 day at AK finishing at MK -- in addition to full days at MK and EP. This will allow us a second full day at either MK or EP.

So, if your family would rather do the stuff you have identified, I say go for it. For younger children, it's tough to get a full day (even in the height of summer) out of MGM. If you have to pair it with anything else that can be done in less than a FULL day (partly b/c it closes earlier) it's AK. That said, last time we did 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. at AK. So, there you are . . .

That is our plan for next time. We were done with AK by 2:30; we got to MGM late the next day and would have left earlier except we wanted to see Fantasmic. Now that we know what we like, we can do it fairly quickly. Next time we might be with DMIL tho, so we might do 1/2 day at each place and spend the afternoon/evening relaxing.But it is totally doable, as long as you realize you might not hit every attraction, just the ones you really want to see.

Epcot and MK are the big ones for us, to be savored.

definetley not!

my family went to AK during the slow season and we spent about 1 1/2 days at AK, and still didnt see everything!

we also spent a full day @ MGM too.... (and went back a couple of times)

if ur going to do AK/MGM in 1 day.... leave MGM for the afternoon so you can go see Fantasmic!

have fun! :wizard:

You can do the highlights of both parks in one day, but you cannot do both parks, especially with a break in the day. It behooves you to be on hand for opening in the morning and to minimize things like taking time to eat and breaks.

we have done this with my 2 yr old in 2005. Do AK in the morning do the safari and dino land and a few trails.

Go to MGM at about 4 and then do the main 6 attractions. It can be done and doing it is better than not seeing the parks at all

The thing that always messes us up with MGM touring is show times. Since there are so many shows to choose from there, it really requires you to spend a day if you want to see a variety of them because the start times are spread out.

. We live near the Bronx Zoo so the zoo aspect could be skipped at AK.

having been a volunteer at the Bronx Zoo for over 15 years, I say do not skip the animal exhibits. I always spend more than 1 day at DAK.

It's all perspective. I love all the parks, I can't spend half a day in any one of them. I don't won't to miss a moment of magic. You can do what's best for your family. We spent Thanksgiving weekend at Disney a few years back. We made every park, and even park hopped. We flew into Folrida Thanksgiving Day early and left Sunday afternoon. It was tough, and we only had time for the major attractions and shows, but we had a blast. I look at any time at Disney worth while. So enjoy your trip!

I think I've decided not to get the three day park hopper passes but to just get a base four day pass and do both AK and MGM on separate days. If we get done we'll just relax and enjoy our pool wherever and whenever I decide on where we are staying!
Thanks for all your help -
Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter