04/27/11 DCL's WONDERful LA-VANCOUVER REPO ON THE WAY TO ALAKSA

UNPREDICTABLE!
When we went in May on Holland America back in the 90's we were told that was the temperature and that it would rain probably every day.

It was unseasonably warm and I remember one day it was 78 degrees. We only had one afternoon of a light drizzle for about 2 hours, the rest of the time it was beautiful.

My suggestion.....layered clothing.

You forget... us Floridians break out the winter wear in 78º weather..;)
Yes BOB... I will be sure to bring plenty of "anti-freeze" :lmao::lmao:

This could be interesting from my perspective as a Northern British Columbian. It's currently only 50F outside and I just came back from watching a high school football game where I was wearing only a dress shirt and a sport coat with some jeans. No gloves, no toque, no anti-freeze, and was actually thinking it was a really nice evening for this time of year.

Waiting for Monday with baited breath. We are going to be booking this one for sure and then really thinking hard on the B2B. Got a few "Thieves" we need to welcome to our neck of the woods!

We're planning on booking the repo and the first Alaska cruise.
we were actually waitlisted (thru TA to IC) for a cat 3 for the wonder repo taking her to LA- but we nixed that idea when we heard they weren't doing mexican cruises the whole summer- who can pass up Alaska?

We're planning on trying to get cat 7 across from cat 11 for both cruises- but we may have to go with 2 cat 11's (if we can get them) if that's all we can afford. Unfortunately even with the TA in 2010 we'll only have 4 cruises before the repo (so the Alaska cruise we'll finally be gold CC members. By that time we'll have 49 nights, in 2 rooms each time mind you, before we'll become Gold members! Can you tell we prefer the longer cruises? LOL)

We're planning on going to LA atleast a few days early to spend some time at DL. We went to DL before the PC cruise last year and surprisingly we enjoyed it more than we thought! (we thought we'd be missing WDW but we weren't LOL)
I already posted this on the other thread for the first Alaskan cruise, but Jason and I are in for the B2B. We got Cat. 7 (room 7622) for both cruises....very much looking forward to getting to know everyone on this thread and reconnecting with some old friends from previous cruises who I see already active here!!
Hey there! We'll be on the WBTA with you before this cruise! :)

UNPREDICTABLE!
When we went in May on Holland America back in the 90's we were told that was the temperature and that it would rain probably every day.

It was unseasonably warm and I remember one day it was 78 degrees. We only had one afternoon of a light drizzle for about 2 hours, the rest of the time it was beautiful.

My suggestion.....layered clothing.

Actually I'm a little anxious about this. We're from Texas... while DH is from Wi/Mi (born/raised there- but he's been here in Texas with us for over 20yrs! LOL) so HE won't be cold. He can walk around in freezing weather in shorts and not get cold but WE on the other hand will be freezing our you know what's off.
I've never cruised during cold weather. All our cruises have been end of May/June and Aug-early Sept PC cruise. I've always just lived in capris and flipflops the entire time. (kids/DH in shorts and sundresses and such) We don't even usually OWN much winter clothing- considering sometimes we can go an entire year round without even putting on a jacket in Texas. Only occasionally a short cold winter we'll have to venture out with a jacket but not often. When it's "cold" (a relative term, to be sure!) to us here- we generally just wear jeans and tennis shoes. I can't imagine walking around on the ship in that- we don't even usually pack that type of clothing when we have cruised before! Let alone even warmer clothing... we're gonna have to buy a whole new (warmer) wardrobe to do these cruises. LOL It'll be a new experience- that's for sure.

Also it's our first time on the Wonder... but I've heard it's really not all that different- just the decorations and themes are different but the deck plans are the same, correct? I mean aside from the kids clubs different at the present time... I wonder if those will be changed to having an OQ by the time we do this cruise, during drydock?
At the time of this cruise our kids will be 10, 13 and 17 (Omg *faints*) - I'm wondering if my 13yr old is gonna end up being in the teen club with his older sister (which she probably won't like but hey, that might come in handy for us to keep an eye on HER! LOL)

Actually I'm a little anxious about this. We're from Texas... while DH is from Wi/Mi (born/raised there- but he's been here in Texas with us for over 20yrs! LOL) so HE won't be cold. He can walk around in freezing weather in shorts and not get cold but WE on the other hand will be freezing our you know what's off.
I've never cruised during cold weather. All our cruises have been end of May/June and Aug-early Sept PC cruise. I've always just lived in capris and flipflops the entire time. (kids/DH in shorts and sundresses and such) We don't even usually OWN much winter clothing- considering sometimes we can go an entire year round without even putting on a jacket in Texas. Only occasionally a short cold winter we'll have to venture out with a jacket but not often. When it's "cold" (a relative term, to be sure!) to us here- we generally just wear jeans and tennis shoes. I can't imagine walking around on the ship in that- we don't even usually pack that type of clothing when we have cruised before! Let alone even warmer clothing... we're gonna have to buy a whole new (warmer) wardrobe to do these cruises. LOL It'll be a new experience- that's for sure.

:rotfl: My DH is taking college courses in the evening, and last night on campus it was a whopping 70 degrees. Now we're both TX born and raised, but we HATE the heat (oyyy, you can't believe our A/C bill this last brutal summer). So he was loving the weather. But he kept passing these tiny little college girls who were bundled up in sweatshirts and scarves, saying "Oh MY GOD, it is like so cold!"

Now this whole layering thing...I've never gotten the logistics of that. Especially when it involves taking off a long sleeve as the day warms up and tying it around my waist. Frankly I don't need what amounts to a big flag emphasizing my rear any more than it already is.

On the bright side, when the lighter fall clothes go on sale in 2010, we can stock up on some good deals in preparation for 2011 :thumbsup2

Shout out to Karen! Well I just keep bumping into you lately! :thumbsup2 So nice to finally have someone around who understands my vigorous love of champagne cocktails.

I'll send a PM when we get official confirmation from DU. :cheer2:

Ditto!

Come on Elaine - follow the rules and instructions from the thread leader. :rotfl2:

No special privileges for friends and\or butter tart providers! :rotfl2:

Ken

Glad to see that lanyard boy has checked in.....now what about Cabana boy and Water boy.....have they booked the cruise?

Hopefully, Shari is over the initial shock from you booking the B2B, (although I am sure she is excited deep down)!

Count me in for the B2B!!

I'm in 6567 for both - can't wait!

Not sure if I'll do DL before (GASP!) - thinking of doing things I've never done before on the West Coast....1 think for sure is the QM in Long Beach.

Looking so forward to seeing familiar faces & meeting new people!!:thumbsup2

We're official!!! Just gotta pay the extra deposit and it's a done deal... So I'll send a PM right now.

Shout out to Karen! Well I just keep bumping into you lately! :thumbsup2 So nice to finally have someone around who understands my vigorous love of champagne cocktails...

Right back at ya, Brandi!!! Had an awesome waiter in the Prom Lounge on the Magic last week (Victor from Chile) who, once he discovered my love of flavoured fizz, kept bringing me little 'tasters' to tickle my tastebuds!!! :worship: Naturally he received an honourable mention on the comment card... ;) Oh and they were serving a new one on me at Palo's brunch - Midori and champagne, YUM!!! Plus it matched my lime green cardigan... Maybe that should be my 'thing' - clothes to coordinate with cocktails..? :lmao:

Hi all! Another Texan (tho not native) here.

We are currently booked on the repo. We were booked for the first Alaskan as well for a day before I got cold feet and cancelled it!

I am just in Vacation Planning overload at the moment. All my vacations over the next couple of months and years are colliding together!

Hubby got a short notice business trip to London in November and I am going to tag along as I have airline credit that must be used. Never been to London or EVEN overseas so I had a lot to learn in a short time.

Also found out that my adult kids wanted to join us at WDW DVC 90 days out from our December trip so I had to change all the ADRs and try to get them rooms! We will have a wonderful time, but it has been an interesting 2 weeks.

So when I looked at the price of the first Alaskan on top of the Western TA that we already have booked, my bank balance had a stern talk with me. :scared1:

We still may add the Alaskan back into the mix, but hanging out in Vancouver for a couple of days on our own sounds good too.

The repo is really a wonderful price.

Didn't want this to get buried in my last post. So for all the uber planners out there....

Easter for 2011 will be Sunday, 4/24/2011. That will be the Sunday before we board in LA on Wednesday.

Hi Everyone!!! I have the list going! Thanks for all the PMs! It makes it easier for me! ;)

We're almost officially on this cruise and Alaska. I will be paying our deposit within the hour!

Yoo Hoo... Elaine... I have your info, except for dining. Thanks!

I'm getting excited and it hasn't even been a week yet. I must get a countdown in my signature!!! :woohoo:

Count me in for the B2B!!

I'm in 6567 for both - can't wait!

Not sure if I'll do DL before (GASP!) - thinking of doing things I've never done before on the West Coast....1 think for sure is the QM in Long Beach.

Looking so forward to seeing familiar faces & meeting new people!!:thumbsup2

Yeah I forgot to post about this yesterday when people were talking about it....but right now the plan for me and Jason is definitely to come out 4 or 5 days early and stay at Disneyland using DVC points. Now we own at SSR and AKL.....so that means we can't technically book at the DVC Villas at Grand Californian until the 6 or 7 month window (I can never remember which it is). However, we can "trade out" and use our points to stay at Paradise Pier or DisneyLand Hotel. Does anybody have a sense of what the likelihood we'll even have a CHANCE of getting a DVC villa for the days before the repo? How many villas are there total at Grand Californian? Is it worth it to even try? Our sense is that there are probably lots of DVC folks taking this cruise (and the B2B)....and that many of them are probably not West Coasters....and so many are probably thinking the same thing we are: that adding a few days at DL before the repo sounds like a fabulous idea....any thoughts? Advice? Anyone who owns at GC Villas or has used points to stay there?

We own at OKW and AKL so we have no experience at the Villas at Grand California.

The prices for GC villas will most likely be in the Premier Season because of Easter, so you can probably get a ballpark idea of costs from the 2010 points guide in the back sleeve of the 2009 Vacation planner. Easter 2010 is 4/4. They have the Premier season listing as running from 4/1 thru 4/10, several days on either side of Easter.

Because of the Easter holiday, it may be difficult to book the Villas. However, we have never travelled during premier season partly because of the costs so maybe no one will book then! Maybe someone on the DVC boards will have an answer?

We did use our DVC points after the May Panama for 2 nights at the Grand Californian (before Villas were in existence) and loved the hotel and the location. You will have a wonderful time there.

Does anybody have a sense of what the likelihood we'll even have a CHANCE of getting a DVC villa for the days before the repo? How many villas are there total at Grand Californian? Is it worth it to even try? Our sense is that there are probably lots of DVC folks taking this cruise (and the B2B)....and that many of them are probably not West Coasters....and so many are probably thinking the same thing we are: that adding a few days at DL before the repo sounds like a fabulous idea....any thoughts? Advice? Anyone who owns at GC Villas or has used points to stay there?

We know SOMEBODY that already owns at GC Villas!!! He's away in Peru at the moment, but when he gets back, I'm sure he'll be all over this thread and the 1st Alaskan! :rotfl2:

Your plan is our plan too... and probably just about everyone else's on this cruise! :thumbsup2

Won't this be MAJOR FUN! :yay:

I thought I'd check in here as well. We're booked on the LA-Vancouver and Vancouver-Alaska as a B2B.

Just a thought - seeing as there are so many people doing this as a B2B, mightn't it make more sense to have one thread for the entire LA to Alaska and then treat each as a segment, people joining for segment 1, segment 2 or both?

It might make it less confusing than 2 separate threads.

Just my thoughts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter