• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ª"˜˜ª¤.¸Official Team August 2013 Thread!¸.¤ª˜˜"ª&#9733

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and wishing you all the happiest of holidays!

I'm Gina and new to this thread (not the site!). A few months ago, I booked my family's WDW vacation for August (15th-18th), with a stay at Pop Century. This is a big secret; our sons (ages 11 and 8) know nothing about it. ;)

My husband was in Florida in August years ago, and was miserable (rain, mud, mosquitoes), but I suspect that had to do with camping in a tent off property, lol. I've never been to WDW in August, so I'm going to lurk about and read what others have to say about it.

Also, I've never stayed at the Pop, so I will have to check out the threads dedicated to it. Looking forward to booking dining reservations! Want to take the family to someplace cool, with great eats. PS: I have not added the dining package.

Have a great day, everyone, despite the terrible weather!

I cannot believe we are down to 7mos and 1 week:hyper: Time has been moving quickly! I am ready to book my ADRs:yay:.

I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday. DS received to $50 disney gift cards and he cannot wait to spend them at Disneyworld!!

I'm Gina and new to this thread (not the site!). A few months ago, I booked my family's WDW vacation for August (15th-18th), with a stay at Pop Century. This is a big secret; our sons (ages 11 and 8) know nothing about it. ;)

My husband was in Florida in August years ago, and was miserable (rain, mud, mosquitoes), but I suspect that had to do with camping in a tent off property, lol. I've never been to WDW in August, so I'm going to lurk about and read what others have to say about it.

Also, I've never stayed at the Pop, so I will have to check out the threads dedicated to it. Looking forward to booking dining reservations! Want to take the family to someplace cool, with great eats. PS: I have not added the dining package.

Welcome Gina!!! I loved our last trip in August. There are always ways to beat the heat and I don't believe you will find mud or mosquitoes in the parks. I've never stayed at POP but it is on my to do list during one of these trips!! :yay:

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

There's a foot of snow outside, and all I can think about is when can I book my ADRs and my flight!! Feb. 4 can't come fast enough!!!!

Gina - Pop is a great place to stay and your boys will probably love the pools! Going in August, you almost certainly will see some rain at some point, but on our last trip we found it totally manageable. (Just watch for slippery shoes!) No mosquitos though, thank goodness!!!

Welcome Gina!
My son and I were just at POP this past August. Not a single mosquito but plenty of rain the first few days since Isaac was making its way past. Didnt stop us, we just put on the ponchos and went on! lol. Was very very humid, my poor asthmatic lungs weren't very happy sometimes but I use an ECV so made it much easier. We loved POP, we were in building 1 pool view. We were only a short walk to the food court and bus stop and we absolutely LOVED the tie-dye cheesecake!

Think I got everyone updated on the resort list. Let me know if I left anyone out or if there are any errors. :goodvibes

I'm in!

Just got back from a December stay a few weeks ago and can't stop talking about it, so...

We literally booked late last night. We both work in public schools so our December trip was a one time deal for time off. Back to August we come!

We will be staying 20-26th at the Poly (1st timers there). We have continued with our tradition of resort changing for each trip.

Our December 2012 group was so much fun, so definitely looking forward to trip planning with you guys!

Hello! I am joining in. We are going to book once I narrow down where we want to stay since AKL is no longer a choice with my two year old turning three next month. We are planning on arriving 8/18 and staying through the 22nd or 23rd.

Hi everyone!! I am so excited to be joining this thread!! We just booked our August trip for 8/18-8/27. We are a family of five with three boys (16,14, and 12). We always go in August and realized this may be our last end of August trip since my oldest will be off to college at that time in 2014. I decided to split our stay since he has always wanted to stay at the Poly (ever since I took him at age 3 to sit on the beach and watch the EWP one night during a stay at a different resort). I haven't stayed there since I was 16, so I figured this was a good choice for the first half of our trip and then we will move to the BC. So we have two rooms booked at the Poly from 8/18-8/22 and then a 2BR villa at BCV from 8/22-8/27.

I am going to try to catch up on this thread to get to know you all....soooooo excited to start planning this trip!!!

WeCantWait said:
We also booked a bounceback! August 18th-26th at the WL!

We will be there the same time! I considered the WL. Stayed there in '95 and loved it. I think I'll make a dining ressie there this trip :)

SenecaWolf said:
↑ THIS!

Make it to rope drop and by lunch time you've seen many of the attractions and you can head back to the resort. I prefer to nap (I'm old :rotfl:) My kids want to swim. We head back to a park around dinner time. We try to get to the parks that have the EMH's. Many say to avoid it but it worked out well for us.

I'm going to invest in some of the Frogg Toggs, the cooling fan didnt seem to work as much for us.

I got frogg toggs two years ago. They definitely cool you down, but are bulky to carry. We did use them on a few 100 degree days but not the 90 degree days lol. I find alternating indoor lines/rides and outdoor ones to work well.

SenecaWolf said:
Oh my gosh....August is soooooo far away!! :goodvibes

I can't even plan park days or anything yet *sigh*

Kinda thinking about doing an Illuminations cruise, anyone tried that? Going to be my sisters first (and probably only) time going so trying to think of some special things to do.

We did the illuminations cruise in 2000. Loved it! We went on a boat ride first and then watched illuminations just under the bridge that connects the uk to France. I was debating that or a wishes cruise this time. I have a looooong list of wants so far lol!

Victoriasmom98 said:
Hi all!!! :wave2: First, I must say I agree with whomever said the view from an Illuminations cruise isn't very good. We did this in 2010 and I wasn't impressed. tips.

Where did you watch from? In 2000 we were very close...I'm wondering if there was an incident that has them viewing from farther away :(

Loreli said:
Mom and I went over some menus and discussed ADRs. Olivia's at Old Key West - for the namesake of my older daughter and it has a great menu. We are looking to do dinner with Chip and Dale in Epcot at the Garden Grill. The reviews were a mix of food was good/food was bland; she thought it sounded like good home comfort food. I want to eat at the Brown Derby in Epcot, she thought the menu sounded snobby. When can we afford to eat snobby food but at Disney on the meal plan??
Anyone done DTD with the 7-10 set? Aside from shows we can't afford and likewise with the shopping what does DTD have to offer kids? Mom and I want to eat at Captain Jack's Rest. but to go all the way there just for a meal? Is it worth the trip from POP?
I never thought ADRs wold be so time consuming. We spent 45 mins and read reviews & menus on 4 restaurants. But it was fun!

Lorelei, I vote you try the brown derby (in the studios, not Epcot). You could do the fantastic dinner package (no charge just a reserved seating section) to justify the snobby food to your mom :).

Fable said:
Oooh, i am enjoying this thread. We are staying in the Grand Floridian from 8/1 to 8/14 and then going onto Hard Rock Hotel for the last week but i'm sure the first two weeks will be my most enjoyable, it's Disney after all ;D

-- Faye.

Love the hard rock! And the head of the line feature is awesome... But as fun as it is ikwym about enjoying Disney more!

Ok, I am reading this thread from the beginning so I apologize if I am taking up time with dated info....I'm just so excited and trying to catch up! I need to make dinner now but I'll be back :)

Hi Everyone,

We deposited on Art of Animation today for 8/12-8/21!!!

I have been to Disney 18 times as a kid (stayed at Disney Villas, Contemporary and Polynesian), but haven't been in 15 years!!!

This will be my husband and our boys (ages 8 and 7) first time there.....so as I am sure most of you can understand, I don't think I will be able to sleep for the next 8 months!!!

I look forward to building up to this fantastic and memorable event with all of you!!!

:love:

zanner3 said:
Hi Everyone,

We deposited on Art of Animation today for 8/12-8/21!!!

I have been to Disney 18 times as a kid (stayed at Disney Villas, Contemporary and Polynesian), but haven't been in 15 years!!!

This will be my husband and our boys (ages 8 and 7) first time there.....so as I am sure most of you can understand, I don't think I will be able to sleep for the next 8 months!!!

I look forward to building up to this fantastic and memorable event with all of you!!!

:love:

I forgot about those Disney villas! I always wanted to stay in one as a kid....they looked so cool in the brochures lol. Happy planning!

I'm in!

Just got back from a December stay a few weeks ago and can't stop talking about it, so...
We literally booked late last night. We both work in public schools so our December trip was a one time deal for time off. Back to August we come!
We will be staying 20-26th at the Poly (1st timers there). We have continued with our tradition of resort changing for each trip.
Our December 2012 group was so much fun, so definitely looking forward to trip planning with you guys!
Cadyrose - :welcome: Isn't the moment of booking the BEST?? It makes it sooo real.
Hello! I am joining in. We are going to book once I narrow down where we want to stay since AKL is no longer a choice with my two year old turning three next month. We are planning on arriving 8/18 and staying through the 22nd or 23rd.
MaryKatmp - :welcome: My daughter will turn 10 before we get to Disney in Aug...those age ranges really get ya in the pocket hu?
Hi everyone!! I am so excited to be joining this thread!! We just booked our August trip for 8/18-8/27. We are a family of five with three boys (16,14, and 12). We always go in August and realized this may be our last end of August trip since my oldest will be off to college at that time in 2014. I decided to split our stay since he has always wanted to stay at the Poly (ever since I took him at age 3 to sit on the beach and watch the EWP one night during a stay at a different resort). I haven't stayed there since I was 16, so I figured this was a good choice for the first half of our trip and then we will move to the BC. So we have two rooms booked at the Poly from 8/18-8/22 and then a 2BR villa at BCV from 8/22-8/27.

I am going to try to catch up on this thread to get to know you all....soooooo excited to start planning this trip!!!
Momto3gr8boys - :welcome: Glad you jumped right in! We are doing Brown Derby...I will wear her down..LOL.

I've been waffling back and forth between and Aug and Oct 2013 trip for months... I still can't decide, but I've sent my FB request just in case. :)

D~

I wish August was sooner.. I'm way too excited for this trip to be so far away! I can't wait until we can book dining because then I'll really be ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter