Zyrtec and seizures

chell

Mushu's Best Friend
Is anyone aware of seizures being caused or intensified by taking Zyrtec? I'm planning on doing some research on this subject tonight but thought I would ask here because you can always get an answer for anything here. :flower:

chell said:
Is anyone aware of seizures being caused or intensified by taking Zyrtec? I'm planning on doing some research on this subject tonight but thought I would ask here because you can always get an answer for anything here. :flower:

I have not heard this and my son has been on zyrtec for almost three years. Can I ask why you are researching this?

My DS took it for almost a year - didn't really seem to help much, but we gave it a fair try...never saw that side effect listed anywhere...

I do a ton of research on all my meds- I am a want to be Pharm, and I can safely say that I have been on this for around 4 years, if it did cause any seizures, I would not be on it. also- if just one person has a seizure from this- it does need to be documented. so one incedent could set something off like that.

LoveWaltDisneyWorld said:
I do a ton of research on all my meds- I am a want to be Pharm, and I can safely say that I have been on this for around 4 years, if it did cause any seizures, I would not be on it. also- if just one person has a seizure from this- it does need to be documented. so one incedent could set something off like that.

What made you think to ask if it caused seizures as opposed to any other side effect?

According to my drug rep DH, It is highly, highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely to cause seizures.

My DD has been taking Zyrtec for about 3 years, never any side effects. And it works great for her allergies.

I work as a PA in a neurorehab facility. Most of my patients have a seizure disorder, and there have never been any warnings about having them take Zyrtec for allergies. Our neurologist has also never heard of this.

Jen

My sister has recently started having seizures after being free of them for the past 17 years. She has only had them on days she has taken the Zyrtec so we were wondering if that had anything to do with it. Guess we are grasping at straws here. But we are trying to look at every angle as she is going through all this new testing.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Here's the drug information link for Zyrtec from WebMD:

http://my.webmd.com/drugs/mono-5204-CETIRIZINE+-+ORAL+TABLET.aspx?drugid=12127&drugname=Zyrtec+Oral

It doesn't say anything specific about seizures in the side effects section, however, this is from the precautions:

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: kidney disease, liver disease, seizure disorder.

You may not be wrong about this. I take zyrtec daily with no adverse effects, but it sounds like your sister should check this out with her doctor.

Thanks Lisa. I've read so many websites tonight that is one I forgot to check.

My sister has recently started having seizures after being free of them for the past 17 years. She has only had them on days she has taken the Zyrtec so we were wondering if that had anything to do with it. Guess we are grasping at straws here. But we are trying to look at every angle as she is going through all this

Last edited:
My son has allergies, and we gave him Zyrtek for years.

SO glad a friend who has nursing training and experience recommended the Xyzal (Levocitirizine).
Works much better. DS seems to do well on it.
And, the thing is, he had a few pounds of extra weight that always confused us. And, this disappeared almost overnight when we saw his allergist and got a prescription and switched him to the Xyzal. CoPay is cheaper than buying the Zyrtek over the counter, too!

WOW... 12 years... Now this is a real zombie thread!
I did not realize!
But, I do feel that the info I just posted about the new(er) Xyzal is valid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter