Zero discount for Marine of 14 years!!

This isn't about lack of appreciation, it's about not giving a *deep* discount to over 18 million people. Frankly, I would prefer the discounts on resorts and tickets to go to young families of active duty members and those people who stuck with the military for the full 20 years.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the discount is though the military itself. For instance, Shades of Green is owned by the DoD. Perhaps it's not Disney who makes the rules.

Yes, Shades of Green is military owned. However, Disney themselves offers pretty good military discounts on their rooms. I enjoyed that for my last two stays. Granted, it doesn't get you to SoG prices but it sure puts the room rate in reach for me.

Yes, Shades of Green is military owned. However, Disney themselves offers pretty good military discounts on their rooms. I enjoyed that for my last two stays. Granted, it doesn't get you to SoG prices but it sure puts the room rate in reach for me.
My father died while on active duty and my mom had survivor benefits. She treated us to a stay at the Contemporary in the old North Wing many, many, many years ago. It was $79 per night! I recalled that SOG was booked solid and then so she was offered other resorts through the military itself (but I could be wrong).

This isn't about lack of appreciation, it's about not giving a *deep* discount to over 18 million people. Frankly, I would prefer the discounts on resorts and tickets to go to young families of active duty members and those people who stuck with the military for the full 20 years.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the discount is though the military itself. For instance, Shades of Green is owned by the DoD. Perhaps it's not Disney who makes the rules.

Disney is the one who sets the rules on discounted tickets and rooms at their resorts (which excludes SOG).

You can buy military tickets at the gate, but with FP+, people now typically go through their local ITT office or SOG. (FWIW, we still buy at the gate at DLR.)

I have to call to book the resort at military rate. Always have to show ID at check in.
SOG offers awesome room rates, but since you have to rely on buses and no magical express we prefer WDW resorts.

My father died while on active duty and my mom had survivor benefits. She treated us to a stay at the Contemporary in the old North Wing many, many, many years ago. It was $79 per night! I recalled that SOG was booked solid and then so she was offered other resorts through the military itself (but I could be wrong).

No, they used to do that. Probably back in the 90s because I remember being offered, while on the phone with SoG, to have them book another resort for me. They don't do that anymore and you have to just call Disney on your own. I think the highest discount *might* be 40% off rack rate at deluxe resorts, but often times it is at 30%.

The response was to the question asked by someone else if I ask this of other companies - no we do not, and I explained why.

I am bothered by the lack of appreciation for his service by this policy.

Not sure why you or anyone else would come on a thread and post with no input to the post, just to be argumentive or combative.
What has human kind come to??

In my two replies I commended your BROTHER IN LAW for his service. My dad is retired Navy and my father in law served so I am grateful daily for the military service no matter how long everyone has served. People have explained why HE is not entitled to the discount and thanked HIM for HIS service.

Nobody is being argumentative or combative just stating why HE is not entitled to the discount. Hopefully Disney will offer medical workers a discount for their work. Your reply about what has humankind come to us insulting to everyone who has thanked your BROTHER IN LAW for HIS service.

Like your BIL thousand of health care workers are putting their lives on the line daily. Millionsof military have put their lives on the line for each one of us in the past and present. Disney can’t give everyone a discount. Even the grocery store workers and delivery drivers are risking their lives to help people during the pandemic:

Last edited:
When I worked for an insurance company the military discounts worked the same--active duty, active reserve, retired listed on your DD214 form. It caused a lot of headaches but it was a healthy discount on the policy for the life of the policy so no reduction in percentage over time, no re-qualification needed, etc. People want to look at it from an emotional standpoint and I honestly get that but it may be harder to see the business side of things. Most of the issues I ran into at the insurance company were Vietnam soldiers who served 3 months, 6 months and then were done. Does that mean no one appreciated their service? Heck no we all did. But business side it's a different story. And to be honest being berated because there's this assumption that no discount or specific qualifications means someone doesn't care about those individuals is just uncalled for.

I'm confused though OP if this cause isn't something you champion normally for why get all upset at Disney? That makes it sound like because you stand to benefit this time (have a relative who is military who is going with you so you thought you could utilize that discount) that it suddenly means more. I don't mean that harshly but that's how it comes off to me.

"I can't get a discount because of the rules it's all because they don't appreciate the service"..but then you also say you don't ask for nor expect discounts. That's a contradiction.

Just a hypothetical question here.

If he doesn't qualify for a veterans discount during the period you're going, would getting a room with your DVC points be a good option?

Obviously you'd be in the same resort, which is a good benefit. And might repaying you for your points be a less-expensive option for him?

I don't know the answers -- just asking.

He is a "retired"
No, he is not retired. He resigned. Quit. Left 100% of his own accord before serving the minimum length of time to be considered retired. o

you can't change the definition of a term by surrounding it with quotation marks.
I understand. Just annoyed with the policy.
All due respect, as being not the spouse or dependent of the former Marine, one can feel annoyed but have zero legitimate place to.
The country appreciates his service. The military appreciates his service. Individuals appreciate his service.

But he chose to quit (well) before serving the required and not secret 20 years.

My husband has created a business from nothing, he also does not ask or expect discounts.

So does your husband‘s business give all veterans discounts? I’m sure he wants to show his appreciation to all veterans too. Coz if Disney should, I guess all businesses should right?

IMO, every business in America should offer veteran discounts. There would be no America without our vets. Sadly, I don't get to make that call.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

IMO, every business in America should offer veteran discounts. There would be no America without our vets. Sadly, I don't get to make that call.

OP didn’t serve or sacrifice anything in the military! It’s her BROTHER IN LAW who served and deserves the thank for HIS SERVICE. And all the orders who served deserve thanks -

OP didn’t serve or sacrifice anything in the military! It’s her BROTHER IN LAW who served and deserves the thank for HIS SERVICE. And all the orders who served deserve thanks -
That is totally wrong. Almost every male in my family for 4 generations has served. But EVERYONE in the family sacrifices when their loved ones serve in a war zone.

There are a couple kinds of military discounts for Disney vacations. The first and biggest one is the Salute offer, which it sounds like OP is referring to. That's available to active duty, retired (including medical retirements), and 100% permanently disabled vets (along with the spouses of each). That offers the biggest discount on tickets as well as room and memory maker discounts.

A second category of discounts is available to all disabled vets (any percentage) and those who've earned a purple heart or who were a prisoner of war. This allows those vets to stay at Shades of Green any time of year as well as receive a smaller discount on tickets that can be purchased either through Shades of Green or a military base. The ticket discounts aren't huge, but it is something, and the Shades of Green benefit year round is a great perk, especially considering anyone with a disability rating can get it. It is also new within the last couple of years.

The last benefit is for any vet who served honorably. They can stay at Shades of Green in January or September as well as receive a small ticket discount through Shades of Green.

While the discounts for those vets in paragraphs 2 and 3 aren't as large as the Salute offered to vets in paragraphs 1, it is still something. OP's BIL will qualify for something, whether it's Shades of Green and small ticket discount year round or just in the months of Jan and Sept.

I did 12 years active duty, currently finishing up in the reserve. I did Afghanistan and Iraq. I've buried friends. I'm also a disabled vet according to the VA (yes, you can be a DV and still be in the reserve. It is fully on the up and up as intended by federal law).

I'm unclear on something. You said something about him not updating something and you said that he's retired after 14 years. Was he medically retired or early-retired some other way? That happens sometimes. Is it his blue Retiree ID card that he needs to update or renew? If so, you need to go yell at him about it, not us. If he did 14 years and left on his own, that's up to him. You say it was for financial reasons. I assume then he had an opportunity at the 14 year mark that he liked better than the Marines. He made a choice. If I have misjudged the situation, please clarify.

Veteran is not a protected class. I am happy to accept discounts when they are offered, but nobody owes them to me. In fact, when I left active duty, but before I joined the reserve, I remarked to my wife "there goes our Disney discount". Don't like Disney's policies? Go to Seaworld. Don't go around demanding things of people and don't play like "Army wife: toughest job in the military" Because it isn't. My wife made sacrifices, no doubt. She had to be a single mom a month after our son got out of the NICU because I had to go to Iraq. But she'll be the first to tell you that she didn't have it nearly as bad as a lot of service members. FURTHERMORE, my sister in law sure didn't sacrifice a wet fart because of my service. Thank you, good day.

One of my friends served in the military. He drove a forklift for ten years. Another one of my friends worked as accountant in the military. Neither of them saw any action. I think when most people think of veterans, they think of combat vets. And I agree that they should receive better compensation for their service and receive discounts.

But I struggle with my friend who is an accountant in the military receiving pay nearly the same as in the private sector receiving discounts.

And if you really want great discounts, their VA home mortgages are ridiculously good. This frees up more money for vacations like Disney.

I am not military neither is my husband, the only person I know personally is my brother in law. So, no we do not ask for discounts. My husband has created a business from nothing, he also does not ask or expect discounts.
What does his business have to do with the question?

When I say family, that includes your BIL.

Have you offered to let him stay on your dvc points for the 4th night to thank him for his service? That would be a way to show your appreciation.

What about you paying cash?

Last edited:
One of my friends served in the military. He drove a forklift for ten years. Another one of my friends worked as accountant in the military. Neither of them saw any action. I think when most people think of veterans, they think of combat vets. And I agree that they should receive better compensation for their service and receive discounts.

Yeah and anecdotally, a lot of the loudest "thank me for my service" types are the ones who got injured during basic training or did 1 "deployment" to UAE or Qatar and try to claim 100% disability for PTSD because somebody slammed a door too loud and they thought the base was under attack. Some people go through some really terrible things in the course of their service, but for most of us it is just a really secure job with lifetime benefits.

He is a "retired" veteran of 14 years, but is not considered retired because he did not serve 20 years.
Second we are all coming together for 4 nights, my husband and I are DVC members and are staying on our points for three of them. We wanted to use his discount for the four of us for one night only.
Furthermore I would not use the word angry. I am appalled they do not recognize his service, risking his life quite literally for all of us.
Again, my husband and I are paying with our DVC points contract.
He's not a retired veteran. He's just a veteran. If he didn't do 20 years at least, he's not retired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter