YYC or YEG to MCO

JEakins

Earning My Ears
Are there any Albertans who fly to Orlando regularly? We are considering buying DVC and will end up with last year's points that would need to be used and I've been looking at flights in September which seem high to me? Direct from YYC is over $1000 each. We're new to the province but just flew from YEG at the end of last month and paid that price for two of us. I'm not sure if this is the new normal or are flights always this high and we just got a good deal booking about 3 months out for our last trip?

Hello - flight prices are just extremely high at the moment. For example, we booked our family of 5 to fly to Orlando in August a few months back for around $3500. Right now, the direct flights are pricing out around $12,000 for the 5 of us.

When we have our dates booked for our trips, we start watching flight prices on a daily basis. For reference, we live in Calgary and fly to Orlando yearly.

United has connecting flights from YYC as low as $546CAN. Connecting in Denver (long layover) or Houston for $633CAN. Once the airlines use up their future bids for fuel, prices will likely be crazy.

United has connecting flights from YYC as low as $546CAN. Connecting in Denver (long layover) or Houston for $633CAN. Once the airlines use up their future bids for fuel, prices will likely be crazy.
Yeah, we can get the prices down with layovers through Toronto with WestJet as well but having endured that recently we are looking to avoid it.

They just recently cancelled our direct out of YVR for October and put us on flights through YYC. We haven't gotten around to calling them yet to adjust so that may be why some of the YYC flights are inflated prices. Any of our flight options through YYC show limited seats and are over $1000 per flight segment.

Y
Yeah, we can get the prices down with layovers through Toronto with WestJet as well but having endured that recently we are looking to avoid it.
Yeah I get that. One reason we have usually flown United out of YEG was that the IAH connection got us below the snow belt on the first hop. Handy since we usually travelled in the deep of winter and avoiding winter storms was important to DW. While a bit risky, weather wise, the DEN flights would get us to MCO at 3.30 pm or so, which was nice. Of course, a non-stop would also do that just fine, lol. Over the years the Westjet non-stop was usually a lot more expensive than United. Sometimes more than United first class. In fact for a few years (2009-2011 or so) we could score United flights on the Air Canada web site for a fair bit less than from United directly. That ended once they figured out how many people were doing this.

Normally it is around $400-$700. Swoop is also an option on select days. I have flown them once. Prices are really high right now.

They just recently cancelled our direct out of YVR for October and put us on flights through YYC. We haven't gotten around to calling them yet to adjust so that may be why some of the YYC flights are inflated prices. Any of our flight options through YYC show limited seats and are over $1000 per flight segment.
They did same to us for our late March trip (I.e. cancel our direct flight from YVR and put us through Calgary). We Did not like this at all. Had to leave YVR for Calgary at 6am and on way home we missed our connection to Vancouver through Calgary. The flight from Orlando was delayed due to weather so we had to pay for our own hotel (ultimately covered through credit card insurance) We are booked direct from YVR to Orlando again this January but if they move this through Calgary, we will cancel. A nervous westjet employee said going through Calgary gives company more flex (planes, crew etc.) but can often lead to hiccups for those connecting.

They did same to us for our late March trip (I.e. cancel our direct flight from YVR and put us through Calgary). We Did not like this at all. Had to leave YVR for Calgary at 6am and on way home we missed our connection to Vancouver through Calgary. The flight from Orlando was delayed due to weather so we had to pay for our own hotel (ultimately covered through credit card insurance) We are booked direct from YVR to Orlando again this January but if they move this through Calgary, we will cancel. A nervous westjet employee said going through Calgary gives company more flex (planes, crew etc.) but can often lead to hiccups for those connecting.

Fingers crossed they leave your flight alone. We are trying to decide whether to keep the direct from Prince George to YYC on the Friday in the middle of the day and then flying out of YYC first thing in the morning or trying to connect through YYZ or YYC after overnighting in YVR. Coming back they have us flying from YVR to PG while we are flying from MCO to YYC so that’s not going to work. Still haven’t been notified by WJ that it changed. It’s been over a month.

Flight prices jumped a few weeks ago on the direct YYC-MCO with Westjet for our dates in Sept from under $700 to $1700! Sounds like it might be due to added connections from other cities as people have mentioned. We will only fly direct, so Air Canada is out of the question for MCO, it has to be Westjet. We use our Westjet companion vouchers for MCO as it seems to be the best value for us in mainland North America. We also try to book flights as soon as they are released at about 10.5 months out, and be flexible on dates. For example, I wanted Dec 29-Jan 8, but it was over $2000, so by adjusting to Jan 1-10, the flight price dropped to under $500 each at release. It is now up to almost $800 for those same flights.

Fingers crossed they leave your flight alone. We are trying to decide whether to keep the direct from Prince George to YYC on the Friday in the middle of the day and then flying out of YYC first thing in the morning or trying to connect through YYZ or YYC after overnighting in YVR. Coming back they have us flying from YVR to PG while we are flying from MCO to YYC so that’s not going to work. Still haven’t been notified by WJ that it changed. It’s been over a month.
In hindsight, it would have been much better in our opinion to get to YYC the night before and then fly out at a reasonable time the next day. Btw…we stayed at the airport Marriot at YYC when we missed our connection on the way home and it was excellent.

In hindsight, it would have been much better in our opinion to get to YYC the night before and then fly out at a reasonable time the next day. Btw…we stayed at the airport Marriot at YYC when we missed our connection on the way home and it was excellent.
Haven’t called them yet, but that’s (hopefully) our plan for our flights in august. They cancelled our YVR direct to MCO flight and now have us leaving out of Vancouver at 6am with a tight connection in Calgary. Hoping they will let us fly to Calgary the night before. I’m happy to foot the bill at the Marriott for the added peace of mind.

I have a comment and a question.

Comment - We had a scheduled flight MCO-YYC on April 9. The plane was late leaving MCO due to a shortage in baggage handlers. This caused us to miss our connecting flight and thus necessitated a hotel overnight in Calgary. This was not a huge issue for us, but I can understand how it would have been upsetting for families with small children. However, I believe that those who immediately responded with anger and hostility had a more difficult time adapting than those of us who were more stoic. The reality of travel is that there aren't enough workers a lot of places. There will be bumps along the way. We found that just accepting this new 'normal' and rolling with it made our experience much more tolerable.

Now the question. We have a two week trip booked for end of August/beginning September. Our usual connection through YYC is ridiculously expensive right now. But, we can connect in YYZ with about a 3 hour layover each way. We will have carry-on only and have Nexus. Are there any comments from those who may have experienced similar? Hopefully this is the trifecta for smooth travel!

Good luck to everyone to have their flights go smoothly! Things are a bit different right now - patience is required now more than ever (and patience has never been my forte lol!)

I have a comment and a question.

Comment - We had a scheduled flight MCO-YYC on April 9. The plane was late leaving MCO due to a shortage in baggage handlers. This caused us to miss our connecting flight and thus necessitated a hotel overnight in Calgary. This was not a huge issue for us, but I can understand how it would have been upsetting for families with small children. However, I believe that those who immediately responded with anger and hostility had a more difficult time adapting than those of us who were more stoic. The reality of travel is that there aren't enough workers a lot of places. There will be bumps along the way. We found that just accepting this new 'normal' and rolling with it made our experience much more tolerable.

Now the question. We have a two week trip booked for end of August/beginning September. Our usual connection through YYC is ridiculously expensive right now. But, we can connect in YYZ with about a 3 hour layover each way. We will have carry-on only and have Nexus. Are there any comments from those who may have experienced similar? Hopefully this is the trifecta for smooth travel!

Good luck to everyone to have their flights go smoothly! Things are a bit different right now - patience is required now more than ever (and patience has never been my forte lol!)
YYZ is a mess right now but if you are only connecting there it is manageable. We recently had to go through YYZ after our direct flights were cancelled. Customs was so busy in Toronto that only people with connecting flights were allowed off the plane and the line was huge. We also have Nexus and that line had nobody in it so we breezed through. I think we ended up having 1.5 hours between flights and we had no issues at all. The only issue I had was it was annoying to have to go through security again in Toronto and have to chug a bottle of water because there was no sink nearby to dump it in.

YYZ is a mess right now but if you are only connecting there it is manageable. We recently had to go through YYZ after our direct flights were cancelled. Customs was so busy in Toronto that only people with connecting flights were allowed off the plane and the line was huge. We also have Nexus and that line had nobody in it so we breezed through. I think we ended up having 1.5 hours between flights and we had no issues at all. The only issue I had was it was annoying to have to go through security again in Toronto and have to chug a bottle of water because there was no sink nearby to dump it in.
Thanks for the info! I think the ~3 hour layover + carry on only + Nexus should all work in our favour!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!