Yummy kids meals

disney144

Mouseketeer
Hello all. What restaurants do you recommend for kids meals? I have a stomach condition that restricts me to small meals. My BF is a big eater, so splitting a meal is not an option. Are there any counter service restaurants that have yummy kids meals? What do you recommend?

The kids sandwiches at Flo's are alright. I'm not a fan of the fruit side, so I'd be more likely to just get 1-2 adult sides a la carte than feel like I need to add the sandwich. You can also get just a grilled cheese or just a side soup or salad a la carte at Jolly Holiday, which I like better than the kids meals there. I've had the kids turkey dog too. It's not yummy, it's a steamed turkey dog reheated in a bun. You might want to just budget for full price CS meals and not finish them if it's too much food. At TS they'll give you twice the portion for twice the price, so again I'd ask about a la carte options or bring a plastic baggie for left overs.

I like the kids meals. They're the perfect size for me! Plaza Inn has a great fried chicken meal. You get a chicken leg, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans (I think), apple slices and a drink. I always toss in a biscuit too, and you can upgrade your chicken leg to a breast for a little bit more. Hungry bear has a nice kids cheese burger with fries, apple slices and a drink. It's not a kids meal, but I love the baked potatoes over at Fowlers Galley too. They're a perfect size if you don't want to be overly stuffed.

I had the kids Chicken Nugget meal at Smokejumpers Grill and it was pretty good! A perfect amount of food for a small lunch!

There are not a ton of options for the quick service kids meals it seemed. Most places seemed to have three of the five options, Mac and cheese, pizza, pb and j, nuggets, burger/sandwich. I think that the kids slider roast beef/turkey sandwiches at Flo's V8 Cafe looked pretty good, too! And I totally recommend getting them in the Lightning McQueen souvenir car box! Too cute!!

I tried the tostada salad at Rancho Del Zocalo and it was huge and tasty, with a side of chips and salsa and a wedge of Anniversary Crazy Tropical Flavored Chocolate Cake (LOVED it!), it might make a perfect meal to share! Plus there is a beautiful seating area lit up with colorful lanterns, and we even listened to a live mariachi band!

Have fun planning! Don't forget you can search all of the menus on the Disneyland website and find even more things to go on your 'must eat' list! I love doing that type of research before my trips!

Last edited:
Cafe Orleans has some nice kid meals: grilled chicken with a side of pasta, fruit and veggies. They also have a salmon dish for kids.

I'm not sure if it still there but Jolly Holiday had a turkey sandwich that came with baby carrots, sliced apples and a drink.

I too have a condition where I can only eat very small meals (weight loss surgery, VSG). I found when a went in April that

a) portions are really big, so while you said sharing isn't an option, don't discount all together. I found my few bites meant my husband who is a big eater still had plenty to eat. Another option I used was get an extra side. So I would have a few bites of his main dish and a few of the side. He would finish the rest of my side and he had the same amount of food as before.

B) quick service is your friend. For example a skewer at Bengal BBQ is plenty. I found nibbles here and there were perfect so I could try lots of foods. I found snacking all day was fantastic.

C) the kids meals I saw were not great at quick service.

Bottom line for me was if I really wanted something I got it. I had to accept that I was going to toss anything I didn't eat, and husband didn't scavenge from my left overs. I had to just decide not to let the sticker shock hold me back, and just move on and enjoy.

Thy moved that taters back to troubadour? They were there prior to being moved to the Harbor Galley. Please tell me it is true. The bbq chicken with slaw was my fav light meal/heavy snack.

Thy moved that taters back to troubadour? They were there prior to being moved to the Harbor Galley. Please tell me it is true. The bbq chicken with slaw was my fav light meal/heavy snack.
They're serving the bacon one and they brought back the broccoli one. They did not keep the chicken or shrimp.

Do you eat small meals consistently throughout the day to get all of your necessary calories in or do you just eat very small meals at normal mealtimes?

I feel like a lot of the kids' meals are... well, crap, especially for adults. They seem to have a lot of the typical kid-friendly foods like cheeseburgers, chicken fingers and cheap (not the good home-made kind) mac and cheese. Plus they come with apple slices/apple sauce/carrots/a juice box or milk and you probably don't want or need any of that.

Any chance of you bringing a (collapsible?) lunch container in your bag/stored in a locker? You could get an adult-portion meal, eat some, and store the rest for a snack later. There are a lot of DL foods and treats that only really come in one size, like the soup in bread bowls (you can ask for the soup in a cup on the side instead of in the bread), monte cristo, pretzels, etc. I wouldn't want you to skip them because you can't eat them all at once.

As off with your head said, getting the soup bowl on the side and saving the bread for later could be a good option. The bread will stay good since it doesn't have the soup in it. I love the soup bowls.

I'm not crazy about the kids meals. We do buy some for our kids, but we tend to bring a lot of healthy snacks in for them for lunch instead because most places serve the same thing. How many times in a week do they need mac and cheese?

I also agree that some places, like Rancho De Zocalo, have very large portions. So you really may be able to share, especially if you order a side of something to go with.

A few people mentioned some food served at table service like Café Orleans. They won't allow you to order off the kids meal. They will allow you to order a side while your BF orders a meal, and you can share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter