your tips for eating well (healthfully) onboard???

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
Since I've just lost about 10 pounds, I'd hate to put it all back on in one week! :rotfl2:

Anybody have tips to share about the menu choices or other things they did to eat healthfully onboard?

TIA!

I stick with mainly fish dishes for my entrees, but I will order apps, salads, and dessert. The trick is not eating all of it. There are lots of healthy choices at breakfast at Topsiders/BB (fruit, eggs, ect). Scoops has some yummy wraps and fruit for lunch. Take advantage of the gym and exercise classes and USE THE STAIRS! I always thought it strange that people w/out strollers who appeared to be healthy would take the elevator up two decks :confused3

Just remember, you are on vacation....and that Palo souffle is worth eating the whole thing!

I lost 40 lbs over the last year, and I didn't want to put any of it back on (not an once!). For me, I didn't eat more than normal at breakfast. I was pretty selective. I did enjoy eggs benedict one moring, but stuck to one or two mickey waffles, juice and fruit for breakfast. At lunch I went to Goofy's Galley for a roll-up and fresh fruit. I "saved" my calories for dinner and always had an appetizer, salad, entree and dessert. I did not have any late night snacks (didn't feel I needed to). I took the stairs when ever possible.

The only night I felt like I had over done it was Palo (we were celebrating, so what the heck!) where I had calamari, shrimp pizza, lobster AND chocolate souffle. After that DH and I walked Deck 4 in the wind around and around :)

By the way, I didn't gain any of it back.

The biggest thing is to remember that just because they serve it doesn't mean you have to eat it :) And if you want to have a taste of a variety of things, that's fine - just take those "best bites" of what you want.

Lots of fruit and veggies available all day. Goofy's Galley is definitely an added bonus that I didn't know about when we boarded (I had missed reading about it) so it was a nice surprise to find a place to get more healthful choices than chicken and fries at Pluto's. You can get just a plate of fresh fruit there, too... we did that a few times for supplementing our boys who were mostly about pizza or chicken fingers and mac/cheese.

The hardest part for me was the desserts - I wanted to try them all :)

I'm diabetic and my DW doesn't do sugar, wheat or flour, but from what we've seen from the menus, we will do just fine.

jodifla said:
Since I've just lost about 10 pounds, I'd hate to put it all back on in one week! :rotfl2:

Anybody have tips to share about the menu choices or other things they did to eat healthfully onboard?

TIA!

Sharing lots of Grey Goose Martini's with your deckmates.. using the stairs to get back to the stateroom & mix up some more will burnoff the calories :thumbsup2

I cruised too right after losing 11 lbs. I found it very easy to eat healthfully, even easier than at home. For breakfast, the fruit is the first thing you come to. I grabbed 1 or 2 pieces of each. I had scrambled eggs and of course I couldn't resist a few pieces of bacon. Lunch was also easy, I'd take just a little of each thing to sample, and sometimes get a salad. Everything is cut up for you, so I figured I might as well take advantage of it! I'm not much of a sweets eater, so all the cookies and stuff didn't tempt me too much, although I did have a few little things. Dinner was also very easy. For me, the portion sizes are absolutely perfect. I wish all restaurants had these portion sizes. You don't walk away from dinner feeling engorged!!! I know lots of people don't feel that it's enough, but for me, it's just right. I usually get the chicken or fish, the appetizer of a salad maybe 3 nights (they have different types of salad on different nights), then whatever else I choose on the other nights, and one of the great veggie sides. I always had dessert too. I usually hit one of the exercise classes each day, we walked the steps instead of the elevators, and every morning after breakfast, walked the track around Deck 4. My husband brought his step counter the last time, and w probably walked at least 5 miles a day, and that was really without trying. Also, stay away from the pop/soda. I drank lots of water from Deck 9. You'll be able to do it, and won't even realize that you are eating healthy! :thumbsup2 :yay:

We just got back from a nonDCL cruise in April. I also didn't want to gain weight like I had on previous cruises (usually 1 pound or more each day!!). Here's what I did to combat the buldge...

We were on the 7th deck of a 13 deck ship. Smack dab in the middle. DH and I never took the elevators (except on formal night-if I did stairs in those strappy sandals I would have broken something, LOL). I actually worked out--OK, just 2 times for an hour on the treadmill, but every little bit helps, right?

For food, we always ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. My main strategy was to fill my plate 2/3 with fruit and veggies/salad before I even looked at anything else. I stayed away from sauces, butter, etc. I tried to eat small portions of things that I absolutely love, and stayed away from things I make at home. I had only 1 drink (alchoholic) the entire cruise, and drank only water or unsweetened iced tea the rest of the time. I ate whatever I wanted for dinner. No late night snacks, except cc cookies and milk one night.

I felt so full all the time that I was sure I had packed on the pounds. I was so excited to find I only gained 1/2 pound in a week! I really think the stairs were a huge factor. That will be my strategy for every cruise from now on.

Good luck! And know it is possible to go and not gain weight--and not feel like you sacrificed anything!!

I've also found that if I eat all the vegetables before touching the entree, I do better.

DrCavin said:
Sharing lots of Grey Goose Martini's with your deckmates.. using the stairs to get back to the stateroom & mix up some more will burnoff the calories :thumbsup2

Better listen... He's a Doctor!

Lots of fruit and real oatmeal at breakfast
Cycle in the fitness room while imagining you are powering the ship
Never order room service
Skip late night eating but dance at the parties
Order Fish most nights
At dinner, ask for the steamed vegetable of the night
Eat a nice, slow lunch in Lumiere's and order fish (the talapia is fantastic!)
For snacks - ice tea and fresh fruit on deck 9
Walk or ride a bike to eat at the adult beach at CC - the grilled mahi mahi there is great!
Swim - lots of snorkeling - and bike at CC
Never skip dessert

Lost 40 pounds six years ago and have kept it off. Ate well and have enjoyed every cruise.

I had lost 13 pounds before our first cruise and was also concerned. We, too, took the stairs, walked the top deck, didn't gorge. My suggestion is taste whatever you want; if it's just so-so or even good, don't finish is. If it is to die for, eat it all. I "tasted" dessert every night, but rarely finished them. Palo's souffle, however, ... let's just say I was licking the dish clean. :goodvibes

On our last cruise I had just lost about 15 pounds and did NOT want to put it back on. I ended up losing a couple of pounds while cruising (which was wonderful!) and that was without ever using the exercise room on the ship.

I ordered a variety of foods, but only ate a little of each (don't feel like you have to clean your plate.) Several times I asked our server if he would bring me the sugar free dessert (and some of these were very good.) I think I did order dessert each day, and ate at least a few bites.

Breakfast was easy--a lot of fruit (easier than at home.)
There are so many great choices of healthy food it's not hard to keep the weight off--you just have to want to do it. I did not find it work at all and was pleasantly surprised to find I had lost a couple of pounds when I got home.

I did skip a lot of the alcohol this last trip (not a big drinker, but usually drink a bit of wine on the ship) I think skipping the alcohol was very beneficial to keeping off unwanted pounds as well.

Most of all, take the stairs instead of the elevators. It gives you a few extra burned calories each day. You can always walk deck 4 as well for some excercise.

Good luck to you!
Sue Ellen

We just returned from the 7 night Western and I am proud to report I came home 5 pounds lighter, without even trying :thumbsup2

For me, I was so excited about having fresh fruit! Here at home fruit = apples, oranges and bananas so the variety of tropical fruit was a thrill and I ate it with every meal. Love the salad bar at Topsiders. Walked a ton too. And because I am such a heat-weanie my appetite was on the lighter side and I didn't eat heavy dinners. Being on West Coast time, I tended sleep through breakfast and would just have a bagel and juice from room service.

Goofy's Kitchen offered great healthy wraps and salads! Each dinner menu offered 3 "lighter" options and at least 1 vegetarian choice too. I found it quite simple to eat healthy.

Thanks for all you advice and tips.
Hopefully im not put too much in un JUly
:goodvibes

I'm so glad someone posted this. I'm a diabetic and was wondering how I was going to keep my balanced diet but I know that the exercise does wonders for my glucose count. While I won't be able to take the stairs (bad knees) I will be able to walk around Deck 4 several times and I love to swim, going to try to get into the pool after breakfast every day even if for just an hour. I need low impact exercise and my Dr's referred preference is swimming. :thanks: for all the great suggestions, you guys rock! :disrocks:

You know, I remember seeing some heart healthy choices on the menus when we cruised in 2003. Don't know if they still do but worth looking for. The entrees were pretty good! They also had a sugar free chocolate mousse that was excellant. Glad to hear about Goofy's Galley. What a great idea!

I always take the stairs and have a daily walk around deck 4. There is a sign on the forward port side that tells how many laps equal a mile. It is either 3 or 4 laps.

I skipped desserts, I skip any snacking so no trips for ice cream etc. No room service besides our breakfast in the morning which was scrambled eggs, fruit and sometimes bacon. Lunch was a salad with no dressing and fruit.

I am allergic to gluten so no wheat, oats or barley. That means most sauces on main courses are left off. It also means it is easy to skip the desserts because they would just make me sick.

We do drink alcohol but I always bring my own diet tonic water for my G & T's that we have in the evenings. No wine or fruity tropical drinks, just G & T's for me and my husband will drink wine.

Our last cruise we both came home the same weight as before we left. Just eat as you would if you were at home. It is actually easy to eat healthy on a cruise. The exercise is also easy, use stairs and walk around deck 4.

Kathy

I think my weight gain was entirely in fruity rum drinks. The umbrella alone adds 300 calories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter