Your Most Comfortable Park Shoes

I can't speak to these particular shoes but I have had problems with the straps on two pairs of sketchers sandals. They don't fit well, are too tight, can can't be adjusted. Looking at the style though, they're similar to Teva Terras and Vera, both of which I have and both of which I would recommend. I also have Merrill Terrans which probably get my vote for most comfortable all day sport sandals. I've worn all 3 at Disney and all were fine.
Thank you. I'll continue investigating!

I’m a runner, and will definitely bring a pair of sneakers- favorites are by Mizuno (just bought a new pair of Wave Runner 22s- no break in time needed, love them!). I don’t like wearing sneakers in the parks all day though, my feet get hot and tired- especially in the hot summer. So, I am also bringing a pair or two of Toms. They are so light, and I appreciate having my foot covered. No stubs, scratches, stings, etc. I will bring one of the two pair of my 10 + year old Old Navy flip flops (they have a shape and coating that they no longer produce). I have other flip flops, but these two are perfected conformed to my feet, and obviously have stood up to the test of time. Also, a pair of Keen sandals, golf shoes, and probably will throw something else in the bag right before we leave. A girl likes to have choices.
Indeed! Can't have too many shoes, even at Disney!! Thank you.

I suspect some sandals better suit some people than others due to the unigue shape of each persons feet. Best to try lots and see what is most comfortable, and also consider if they are likely to get wet on any of the attarctions. :tigger:pooh:

I can't wear close toe shoes for any length of time so it's mostly sandals for me, even in the winter. I take 3 or 4 different pairs and alternate. My favorites are Clark's flip flops. Second are a Teva type sandal. Then I have 3 or 4 pairs of Earth brand sandals and a pair of Skeechers flip flops as well. All can get wet and keep on going. I do take one pair of Puma's just in case for some reason I need close toe shoes like on special safari's at AK. I wore them once for a 3 hour thing there and lost a toe nail from it.

It's so individual that it's hard to recommend, and even for one person it changes over time. I'm in my 40's and always on my feet, and I'm finding I have to be a lot pickier about good shoes than I used to be. My personal favorite style for the parks (and everyday) is a slip on sneaker. The ones I buy look nicer than tie sneakers for everyday, can be worn with skirts and dresses as well as jeans, and are just as comfortable as tie sneakers for me. Brand has changed over time, depending on who makes one I like that fits well that year. I can wear good sandals in the parks, but it's been a couple of years since I found ones I love that can handle that much walking. I used to love Crocs (sandals, not the flip flops or clogs) but their newer styles don't fit me well. I've looked at Tevas, Merrill, and Clarks, but the styles that I think would be great in the parks aren't ones I'd wear everyday so I haven't bought any. With sandals I can sometimes have issues with the straps rubbing even on comfortable, well broken in pairs when I'm walking 10 miles at DIsney, so I always keep bandaids on hand. If I use one on the spot that's rubbing early on, I can prevent a blister and keep wearing the shoes without a problem.

Just got back from a trip to Universal. I walked between 7-8 miles a day. My Lone Peak shoes combined with DeFeet socks worked great. I had hiked in the shoes before the trip since it took a while for my feet to adapt to the zero drop. Anyway, I’d recommend that setup for a theme park.

What’s more important is that you go being used to walking 7-8 miles a day in high humidity. You definitely don’t want to go as a tender foot.

My favorite sandal is the Trophy 2 by Taos. I actually wore my first pair for the first time at WDW (I know - stupid thing to do) and they were awesome. They do have suede footbeds so I was a little worried about them getting wet but we got caught in a torrential downpour and I was walking through puddles up to my ankles at times. They dried out OK and I still have them 2 years later and they are coming with me in 3 weeks for our next trip!

I will not wear open-toed shoes in any of the parks. On this most recent trip, my daughter and I were present when a woman in a scooter drove over the toes of a woman in the restroom. The lady whose toes were run over had the unfortunate combination of being in sandals and had no place to escape. She was in the restroom's corridor (narrow hall between the entry door and stalls), and there was no where to go when the scooter lady rammed her way inside the restroom. Part of the toenail was torn off. It was horrible, and I'm certain it was very painful.

I would either wear athletic shoes or close-toed sandals. Keen and Teva both make a close-toed sandal that can handle getting wet (from rain and water rides), but are tough enough to offer some protection to toes.

I will not wear open-toed shoes in any of the parks. On this most recent trip, my daughter and I were present when a woman in a scooter drove over the toes of a woman in the restroom. The lady whose toes were run over had the unfortunate combination of being in sandals and had no place to escape. She was in the restroom's corridor (narrow hall between the entry door and stalls), and there was no where to go when the scooter lady rammed her way inside the restroom. Part of the toenail was torn off. It was horrible, and I'm certain it was very painful.

I would either wear athletic shoes or close-toed sandals. Keen and Teva both make a close-toed sandal that can handle getting wet (from rain and water rides), but are tough enough to offer some protection to toes.
The woman with the injury to the toes didn’t happen to be last week at AK, did it? While we were waiting for our Tusker House reservation, we saw a woman who had fresh gruesome injuries to her toes (and her calf was wrapped up with a bandage as well) and we couldn’t figure out how that would have happened. No scratches to indicate she had fallen. Being run over by a scooter would make sense.

This is exactly why I were closed toe shoes when I leave home (or my resort)- you never know what the heck will happen out there that is out of your control.

To the OP- I wore all my shoes: flip flops to the pool, Keens to the water park/ and on the day we expected rain, golf shoes when we played, rotated two pairs of Toms to the parks the first couple of days and then switched to my sneakers for the last two days. 9-11 miles per day required some extra support at that point.

Because of severe plantar fasciitis and heel spurs ...
Me too. If you're looking to branch out, you might consider Chocos walking sandals; the super-high insert feels like a massage. I also have luck with SOME Sketchers sandals.

For me, it's more about "my rules" than name brand: a sandal must have a slight heel (1/2" is enough, but never flat) ... and a "cup" for my heel ... and a high strap that comes near the ankle ... and most importantly: strong support for the instep. Doesn't matter how cute the shoe is; if it doesn't meet all "the rules", it stays at the store. I've learned the hard way not to lie to myself about "making do" with a shoe.
My feet are happiest with two pairs of shoes a day.
I agree. I often change shoes when I come home from school ... but I'm not hauling extra shoes around Disney World.
CROCS!! Every style but it must be a croc. My favs, the regular ugly clogs and capri flip flops.
I went to the orthopedist yesterday to have a new pair of custom inserts made (they are THE BEST), and I noted that the foot doc was wearing Crocs. Not the most professional impression, but they must be good.
...were present when a woman in a scooter drove over the toes of a woman in the restroom. The lady whose toes were run over had the unfortunate combination of being in sandals and had no place to escape. She was in the restroom's corridor (narrow hall between the entry door and stalls), and there was no where to go when the scooter lady rammed her way inside the restroom.
The mind boggles at some people's rudeness /me first attitude /lack of consideration for other people.

Me too. If you're looking to branch out, you might consider Chocos walking sandals; the super-high insert feels like a massage. I also have luck with SOME Sketchers sandals.

For me, it's more about "my rules" than name brand: a sandal must have a slight heel (1/2" is enough, but never flat) ... and a "cup" for my heel ... and a high strap that comes near the ankle ... and most importantly: strong support for the instep. Doesn't matter how cute the shoe is; if it doesn't meet all "the rules", it stays at the store. I've learned the hard way not to lie to myself about "making do" with a shoe.
I agree. I often change shoes when I come home from school ... but I'm not hauling extra shoes around Disney World.
I went to the orthopedist yesterday to have a new pair of custom inserts made (they are THE BEST), and I noted that the foot doc was wearing Crocs. Not the most professional impression, but they must be good.
The mind boggles at some people's rudeness /me first attitude /lack of consideration for other people.

Anyone else have trouble getting Chaco sandals on their foot? I so wanted these to work. Got on the right foot, footbed felt comfy but couldn't get the left shoe on. The straps were so hard and stuff I couldn't get my foot in.

Anyone else have trouble getting Chaco sandals on their foot? I so wanted these to work. Got on the right foot, footbed felt comfy but couldn't get the left shoe on. The straps were so hard and stuff I couldn't get my foot in.

I can't do Chacos either. After I *finally* got both of them on, it felt like trying to walk with planks strapped to my feet. I tried regular old plain Tevas instead, and they're much better. Supportive but with a bit of give to them, and the straps are much more forgiving.

I have the Kamile sandal made by UGG. Very comfortable, my mother even bought a pair for her upcoming trip to Nashville. I also carry a waterproof Teva sandal with me to switch into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts