Your list of WDW extra splurges…

MIALIAS

Mouseketeer
We are taking our first trip in over 2 years. Some of our group have only been to DL and I want to show them how great WDW is…
We want to do a couple of special extras…like a Epcot Harmonious Dinner or a fireworks cruise or some kind of special meal.
Not sure what’s out there now.

Can you rank your list of 3/5/10 WOW special treats you would recommend?

thanks!!!

We are taking our first trip in over 2 years. Some of our group have only been to DL and I want to show them how great WDW is…
We want to do a couple of special extras…like a Epcot Harmonious Dinner or a fireworks cruise or some kind of special meal.

thanks!!!
The Magic Kingdom Dessert Party that gains access to Hub Grass is worth every penny (and I’m diabetic).

Boat cruises offer a more intimate setting, but your view of the fireworks is diminished. As poor as the view from CA Grill or Narcossee’s, I’d still splurge here versus a cruise.

When offered, we purchased the dining packages for ‘free’ tickets to the shows - only if we wanted to see the show (i.e. Fantasmic, Lion King). We also tend to prefer sit down meals.

When offered, add-on ‘hard ticket’ events are another way to experience a bunch of rides in a short time, or experience entertainment that is event-specific.

Covid has diminished choices, but if Disney can charge for it, they will. However, right now, sadly, most of the add-on stuff is nonexistent.

The VIP tour (with Plaids) is the ultimate add-on. The math is not horrible if you are a large group and/or are planning a shorter hotel stay.

I haven't been yet. But, if they return by our trip we will do the Animal Kingdom Trek and the DiveQuest. The Trek is a private safari tour with some walking, near the end they feed you. DiveQuest is diving in the aquarium. Bonus is that you can do it on a non-park day.
These are short tours but they aren't cheap. Profit/hour has to be in the VIP Tour range, so I think they'll come back sooner than later.

How many people are you traveling with? Upgrading to Club Level at a Deluxe resort would certainly add some "wow"!

-Love the dining/fireworks packages
-Magicbands. Ok not a big splurge, but I still love the ease of using one, and since they're not free anymore... I consider them a treat.
- Any cool backstage tours (Wild Africa Trek is great) not sure if this is an option now...
- Don't hold back on the fun. If you want it, buy it, enjoy!

I haven't been yet. But, if they return by our trip we will do the Animal Kingdom Trek and the DiveQuest. The Trek is a private safari tour with some walking, near the end they feed you. DiveQuest is diving in the aquarium. Bonus is that you can do it on a non-park day.
These are short tours but they aren't cheap. Profit/hour has to be in the VIP Tour range, so I think they'll come back sooner than later.
I've done both of these in the before times. I've done DiveQuest twice. Loved both of them but if you aren't a certified Diver DiveQuest is out. There used to be a safari/dinner at AKL that was pretty cool. You got appetizers, then a semi-private safari on the Lodge grounds (semi-private since it's with the other people who signed up) then a dinner. We really enjoyed that, at the time we did it you had to be staying at AKL but later it was offered to anyone who wanted to pay. We did the progressive monorail dinner they used to offer as well, it was pretty fun. We also did the Dessert Party on the terrace when they first offered it. It wasn't worth it to us because at the time you didn't get assigned seats and when the fireworks started everyone stood up and went to the rail, if you had a table near the rail, it blocked your view. Doing the one that takes you to the hub might be worth it. In the before times there was a cute little tour behind the scenes at Living with the Land called the Behind the Seeds tour. Not expensive and fun.

I think of the things being offered now, maybe a dessert party at MK that takes you to the hub. The appetizer/dessert party at California Grill looks interesting but you are only going to see the fireworks, none of the projections. I think Wild Africa Trek might be happening again but not 100% sure.

Add-ons we have enjoyed:

VIP tour
Fireworks cruise (it was Wishes back then)
Club Level at GF
DVC (you can stay in a DVC room even if you don't own - the extra space in a 1 or 2 bedroom or grand villa can't be beat!)
Uber/Lyft everywhere instead of buses
Archery at Ft. Wilderness
Afternoon Tea at GF
Charcuterie delivered to the resort (lots of places do this now)
Elephant tour in AK (reasonably priced too!)

thanks!!!
My opinion is probably not popular:

Don't Gild the Lily

WDW is wonderful exactly like it is. You don't need pricy extra upcharge events to truly enjoy what Walt Disney World has to offer. I would save your money on upsell Mousey Money Grabs.

Don't Gild the Lily

WDW is wonderful exactly like it is. You don't need pricy extra upcharge events to truly enjoy what Walt Disney World has to offer. I would save your money on upsell Mousey Money Grabs.
This is a really good point. I’m planning a fiftieth birthday and I want to do a special event for the group. I had hoped for a vip tour, but the expected hourly rate for my date next year is $675 per hour. So that’s out. Considering the dessert party, but nearly $1300 just to see fireworks is insane. If the pseudo vip tours like ultimate day of thrills return, I’d consider one of them. I did the thrills one several years ago and it was money well spent with a friend taking a short trip. But the more I’m researching, the more I’m thinking I’ll cater a nice meal in my grand villa and just enjoy my friends and all Disney offers on its own.

Last edited:
Most of the splurge things we did aren't even available right now :(
  • Tea at the Grand Floridian. If you schedule it right you can see Cinderella and her Prince leading the princess parade
  • Dinner at California Grill with a fireworks view. (I haven't heard very good things about the current prix fixe menu though)
  • Halloween/Xmas Party events (as many have said, this year's prices are a little crazy)
  • Fantasmic Dinner package
Unfortunately this is not a great time for Disney "extras," as most of them are more limited or more expensive than in the past. If you have a smaller group the Uber/Lyft splurges are definitely a solid option. At this point Genie+ I'm sure would be considered a splurge as well.

Club/Concierge
Wild Africa Trek
Walking with Giants Tour (Elephants AK)
Behind the Seeds
Steam Train Tour
Moonlight Magic
Villains Party
Candlelight Processional
Fireworks Cruise
All the rD races
V&A
Spa Day
Boo Bash
... I ran past Disney World's Waste Management Facility off of Bear Island Rd doing some races and was enthralled. So, maybe, just maybe, I like pretty much anything Disney.

Restaurants:
-Jaleo
-Hollywood Brown Derby
-Topolino's
-Morimoto Asia
-Wine Bar George

Personally, I found the MK dessert party to be worth it, particularly if you like sweets. They also had some savory options (before COVID - not sure what they have now) so I basically just had the dessert party as dinner that night so the cost was offset by not eating dinner.

The early morning magic at MK was fantastic as well, a nice breakfast and the ability to ride 7 Dwarves as much as you want in an hour or so, plus an early head start to some of the other MK rides.

Don't Gild the Lily

That’s how I feel. Going to WDW is special enough for us. We have done the MK dessert party once but that’s because I can’t do the crush of the crowds and my vertically challenged teen daughter can never see the show well but I don’t know if we’ll do it again. I really have to think about it. I did MVMCP because I love Xmas but I think that’s one and done. We’ve also done HDDR which we loved. Other than that we enjoy the parks, resorts and the pool. It’s enough for us.

I think the separately ticketed party type events (Boo Bash or After Hours parties) are pretty cool. Are they doing any the backstage tours again? DH did one in the MK and enjoyed it. If you're trying to do something that the DL people can't really do back home in DL ... perhaps pick a part like AK or Epcot that has a more unique setting.

We also loved having dinner at the restaurant on top of the CR and watching fireworks after.

Oooh, one of our splurges was the Japanese a5 wagyu at Morimoto Asia. They have seriously good food there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter