Your First Time

abish19

Mouseketeer
No, not THAT first time!

I have some friends considering a trip to WDW next year. They feel like they "should" go, but aren't "Disney people" and are a little concerned because:

1. It will cost a lot of money. They are staying in a camper at FW, parents, DS10, DD7, DD4.

2. They feel a little overwhelmed - I've been encouraging them to plan ahead

3. They are worried that by day 3 there won't be anything left for them to do.

So, I'd like to hear about your first trip to WDW. What moved you to go in the first place? Were you thrilled, overwhelmed, frustrated, excited, etc.? Did you feel like you wanted to return? (Probably yes, or you wouldn't be on the DIS, right?) Anyway, I'd love to hear all of the details, as my husband and I are trying to convince them this is worth their money and time. Our friends haven't done an "expensive" vacation in the past and enjoy camping, natural scenery, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

How many days are they planing for, and what time of year?

I would really encourage them not to do commando, but its hard not to on your first trip. If they have the time to give 2 days each to MK and Epcot, with one day each for DHS and AK that would be optimal. Since they are going with extended family I would encourage them not to be afraid to split up if the 4 year old wants to ride the Carousel and the 10 year old is itching to ride Space Mountain. We do this when we tour with a diverse group, coming together for shows, meals, and rides we all want to do. Cell phones are helpful when splitting up. Also it would be nice to let the grandparents have an evening to themselves for a nice dinner and perhaps the parents may even be able to get in a date night as well.

Character meals mean not standing in line to see characters. Encourage them to reserve at least one.

Since they are staying at FW they can save some money by eating some meals at the camper.

FW is lovely. There are horses and a nice playground. There is hoop de doo and the sing-along/movie with Chip and Dale. I really hope they can take some time to take in the campground.

As I said at the beginning of this post, time of year and length of stay are major planning factors

The very first time my parents took us (back when the world was a lot smaller and MGM Studios had just opened), they knew nothing and booked the trip mainly because they just felt like they should before we were all grown up and wouldn't appreciate it anymore (little did they know they created a Disney fanatic in me!).

But they got an "unofficial guide" at a garage sale and started to read up and I think it made them a little more informed, but they still had no idea what they were in for. They booked too few days, and we barely had enough time to see everything and they thought we would have tons of time to relax and rent bikes at the hotel etc. (which of course we spent all day everyday at the parks). Once we were there they realized how much there was to do and see and that there really was something that everyone could enjoy. And we had so much fun just discovering everything for the first time as a family. We had no schedule, we just went on what looked fun and we had a great time!

I would suggest they get the planning DVD, which will show them how much there really is to do, and maybe make them a small list of a few of your favorite things- things that the parents and kids will like. I think once they get there they will be overwhelmed with things to do and they really will have a great time. They might not become fanatics like all of us, but they will no doubt find plenty to do. And their kids are the perfect ages to truly appreciate it- tell them that they can't pass that up! Their kids are never going to have as much fun later as they will now as a family. That first trip is still my favorite because it is the only time I went with my family and my sister and I had a blast- you can't get that time back!

I hope they enjoy it!

We went for a month and I could have stayed longer. I was very well read before I went and had spent a lot of time on these boards which really set me up. Because of this I wasn't overwhelmed. I knew to preplan those things I really wanted to do. I can't wait to get back. I was excited everyday we were there. I was also a Disney fan before I went though having been to Disneyland 3 times and to Disneyland Paris.

Thanks so much for your replies!

They will be traveling the first week of Feb., staying through Presidents' Day weekend (leaving the Monday of Pres.' Day). Part of the plan is to meet up with her sister and their family that weekend.

I wish they could travel with us - last week of Jan - so we could help them! But I very much understand their wish to be at WDW with family that doesn't live near their home. From checking out various touring sites, I fear that it will be busier than they anticipated.

They originally planned 8 days but now worry that that might be TOO MANY days! I tried to explain that this isn't like Cedar Point or Six Flags - it's so much larger in scope.

DSNY4ever - I think that a major part of their decision to go is that their kids are the right age, and they're "supposed" to go at least once.

Ok is that two weeks or more? They can really take advantage of the campground and all its activities. They can go fishing or rent a a boat.

They can tackle each park, land by land and see all the night time spectaculars. They can take breaks to rest without feeling the need to rush back to the parks.

February is still a few months away, so they should definitely come over here and talk to the camping board vets. They should also get a good guide book and try figure out if there are any special extras they would like to try.

Abish19 - a word of caution - if they aren't "Disney People TM", make sure you don't push them with too much planning info. Keep an eye out and know when to ease off.

If they are feeling overwhelmed now, they could freak out on you if you throw too much at them at once. That also means they will back away from you when you broach the subject and it could cause hard feelings. I'm sure many of us on the boards have experienced that one, since others don't have our enthusiasm!

I would suggest having them get the free DVD - they can watch it at their leisure - and get a couple of the better guide books. Once you have helped them with that, back off of the subject for a little bit (couple weeks or more) and let them know you are there for assistance. They will be more receptive to advice after they have looked at a few things on their own. Maybe give their oldest child a guidebook for kids and let that kid run with it. 10 yr olds love to help research Disney World!

YellowMickeyPonchos- I've tried to be cautious in how much information I give them. Basically, I don't "help" unless they ask for it. Besides that, my friend's sister is a big WDW fan, so she goes to her as well. I do sense that if we "push" too much they might just be frustrated and negative before they ever go.

My husband, who isn't a "Disney Person," but enjoys the park, will probably be the one to give them the most valuable input. Not in terms of touring plans, etc., but just encouragement about how they will enjoy their trip, etc.

I am really, really trying to tread lightly!

My first time (that I remember very well) was last year. My wife had suggested Disney World as a honeymoon destination before we were married, and the more I looked into it, the more interested I was. I was surprised to find out that it could be done cheaper than Disney's advertised prices, and I found many ways to save money. Neither of us are big Disney movie fans, but after our trip, both of us became huge Disney World fans. You don't have to be a Disney fanatic to enjoy Disney World, but that's a popular misconception.

The free planning DVD is a good place to start, for sure. As for the price, not a whole lot they can do about that aside from going during value season and using codes/discounts. It's not the cheapest vacation, but it's not just any vacation. As for feeling overwhelmed, suggest a book (Passporter's or the Unofficial Guide). They offer a lot of info packed into one place, so that should help them feel less overwhelmed.

And there's no way they'll run out of things to do after 3 days, even if they went commando. I'd recommend 1 day per park as a bare minimum, and that's assuming there's no interest in the water parks. I figure 6 days is required just to do the 4 theme parks at a reasonable pace.

Make sure they know about some of the restaurants on property. Make sure they know that they will need to reserve those dining reservations WAY in advance. Tell them about HoopDeeDoo Revue...they will want to get in on that one!

All the other stuff will fall into place. Oh, but gently encourage them to at least TRY to get to a park or two at rope-drop. It's so much less overwhelming if you get there before the parks fill up! Before realizing this fact, I would consistently get to the parks with the rest of humanity, and it colored my experience for the negative for a while. Then I read a few books, found the DIS, and realized my mistake. My trips have been MUCH more productive, and once I get a few attractions under my belt, I don't really mind the crowds coming in and filling in around me...I just leave when they get to be too much.

You know, I'm almost jealous of the non-planners...they just go to the parks and have fun without worrying about everything else. Ahhhh, the simple life! :teeth:

my first time was the same way- we stayed in a camper in FW our first 2-3 trips when i was a kid. It was the only way we could afford to go. It was a small space too- a pop up camper with 2 adults and 3 kids. We LOVED it and had a blast. We were only in the camper to sleep basically and ate a few meals there. We loved FW.

As you know- there is no worry on being 'bored' or running out of things to do. Even if they discover the parks aren't their cup of tea (which I can't imagine)- they have plenty to do at FW. Some of my best memories are of renting a golf cart and driving that around FW or going canoeing or horse back riding there. Plus seeing HDDR. They have so much at FW, that they should love it there. Encourage them to take a look online at FW, it might help encourage them more at what it offers beyond the parks.

Money---yeah, it is pricey, but my parents who lived pay check to pay check with us three girls managed to take us. We saved for a long time and i remember them getting us involved by putting our change into a piggy bank in the living room. We ate a lot of sandwiches at the camper and always did breakfast there. So we really only ate 1-2 meals out and usually it was fast food. We only did a few sit down meals back then. It can be done. Food is a good place to save $$ if you can cook your own at the camper.

I think they should definitely get the DVD, watch it, maybe get them a guide to read too. Show them pics of FW. I think they would have a blast! Staying at FW as a kid is one of my best memories.

Michelle - Thanks for sharing your experience! That is the same makeup as my friend's family - two parents and three kids, ages 3, 7, and 10. I haven't suggested it, but might mention HDDR to them as an option.

I haven't heard of anyone who went to WDW and DIDN'T have a good time, but I'm sure it's possible. :)

Michelle - Thanks for sharing your experience! That is the same makeup as my friend's family - two parents and three kids, ages 3, 7, and 10. I haven't suggested it, but might mention HDDR to them as an option.

I haven't heard of anyone who went to WDW and DIDN'T have a good time, but I'm sure it's possible. :)
oh i am sure it is possible, but highly unlikely. :confused3 :rotfl:

We've also stayed in the FW cabins and loved those! More pricey, but we loved FW so much and didn't have a camper anymore, so we tried it. it was great and we loved having our own kitchen to cook all our meals.

They have kids at great ages for a trip too and they would just have a blast. You can see a pic of that trip in my sig below (third pic from left- me and my sisters at epcot)!!! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter