Your Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
wdw_turkeys.jpg

What is your favorite recipe to use on Thanksgiving? What makes it so good? Where did you discover this recipe? Post and share your favorites here!

Thanksgiving is such a complicated meal food-wise; turkey, stuffing sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc. I decided to find some simpler things to prepare to go with the meal.

The pumpkin bunt cake is so easy to bake for Thanksgiving, and it really doesn't taste like it is from a box...it must be the canned pumpkin. I discovered the recipe on the internet when I was searching for a bundt cake to take to church in late November of 2010.

The peas recipe I have had for a long time. I took it to Thanksgiving at my best friend's house two years ago. Her family of 8 sisters and brothers loved it and she asked me for the recipe so she could make it this Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin Bundt Cake

1 18.25 oz box of yellow cake mix
1 3.4 oz box of butterscotch pudding
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

Combine all of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. (I use a mixer). Then beat for 4 minutes on medium. Pour into a greased and floured 10" fluted pan or Bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 50 - 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Serve it with whipped cream or glaze it with the recipe below.

Cream Cheese Glaze:

1 3 oz package cream cheese
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons powdered sugar.

Beat until smooth. Add more milk for a thinner glaze.

Easy Peasy

1 pound frozen tiny peas
1/2 cup bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained
1/4 cup chopped onion
11 oz can cream of celery soup
1/4 cup sherry (you can omit this)
1/2 - 1 cup seasoned poultry stuffing
2 tablespoons butter

Spread peas in a one quart casserole. Combine water chestnuts, bacon, onion, soup and sherry. Spread over peas. Top with stuffing and drizzle butter over the top. Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until hot. You could certainly double the recipe and bake it a bit longer.

Every year I make Sweet Potato Casserole. As a southern gal from NC, sweet potato casserole is mandatory for Thanksgiving. It is a family recipe and I do not have exact measurements of the spices but I can give you a general idea.

Sweet Potato Casserole
4-5 baked sweet potatoes, peeled (cook in 350 degree oven until a fork easily slips out)
2 sticks of butter/margarine, softened
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup brown sugar (approx. add more or less to taste)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (approx. add more or less to taste)
1 tbl cinnamon
1 1/2 ts nutmeg
1 ts all spice
1/2 ts ginger
dash of salt
1 ts vanilla extract
1 package small marshmallows
1 package walnuts (or favorite nut), crushed

Crumble Topping
Remaining brown sugar
1 stick softened butter/margarine
1 package crushed walnuts

Mix ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

Mix sweet potatoes, all the spices, eggs, 3/4 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1 stick butter/margarine, vanilla extract, and salt using a hand mixer (or mixer of choice). Pour into baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven to add crumble topping. Spread crumble topping on sweet potato casserole and top mixture with marshmallows. Bake until sweet potato casserole is bubbling gently along edges and marshmallows are light brown and starting to melt. Remove from oven. Serve hot or at room temperature.

MMM, now I'm hungry :lmao:

My fave is my grandmothers stuffing recipe. I learned to make it when I was 10 and she died when I was 12. Somehow I'm the only one in the family that makes it but there's no recipe - just a bunch of ingredients to taste.

White sandwich bread, ripped into small pieces (usually the cheapest I find)
Melted butter
Poultry seasoning
Minced onion (dried)
Sage
Parsley
Salt and pepper

My extended family loves this:
Broccolli/Pea Casserole

1 package frozen broccoli
1 package frozen peas
1 small block jalapeno velveeta cheese (cubed)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can milk

Mix everything into a 9x12 baking dish (or any dish that works), bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350, or until bubbly.

Easy, peasy and even people that don't love veggies seem to love it.

If you want an easy recipe, there's always the McDonald's cheeseburger stuffing option.

(I"m being serious, here...)

Go to McD's and purchase 15 to 30 (depending on the size of your bird) PLAIN cheeseburgers. (Many McD's are closed on Turkey day, so you may have to do it the day before.)

Take them home, and cut them into very small pieces. Moisten them with a little chicken or turkey broth and stuff the turkey with the mixture. (You can add a little poultry seasoning, or onion or garlic powder or whatever else you'd like)

You will be *amazed* at how delicious it turns out !

(I can understand you not wanting to risk this for your special day, but try it next time you roast a chicken for a "regular" meal.)

It's darned tasty. :)

From the ridiculous to the sublime:

Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Ingredients:

2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 5-ounce package Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
2/3 cup white chocolate chunks or chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen

:wizard:

I have an easy Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Mini-Muffin recipe that I make every Thanksgiving. Usually we nosh on them before dinner is actually served. Sometimes they make it into the bread basket or even for dessert.

Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Mini-Muffins

1 cup canned pumpkin pie mix(with spices included)
2 eggs
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose baking mix(Bisquik)
1 package (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease mini-muffin tins. In a large bowl combine pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, and oil. Add Bisquik and stir until just blended. Don't overbeat it. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill tins two-thirds full. Bake 8-10 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Makes about 30 mini-muffins. Although I tend to at least double the recipe as they freeze really well.

Easy Peasy

1 pound frozen tiny peas
1/2 cup bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained
1/4 cup chopped onion
11 oz can cream of celery soup
1/4 cup sherry (you can omit this)
1/2 - 1 cup seasoned poultry stuffing
2 tablespoons butter

Spread peas in a one quart casserole. Combine water chestnuts, bacon, onion, soup and sherry. Spread over peas. Top with stuffing and drizzle butter over the top. Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until hot. You could certainly double the recipe and bake it a bit longer.

This sounds very good. I think I'll try it this year. Thanks!

My favorite Thanksgiving recipe is for stuffing. I use a pound of thick sliced bacon (cooked), a tube of sausage (cooked) along with fresh mushrooms sauteed in butter and add it to my stuffing mix with onions and chicken stock.

My husband's family has always had homemade noodles for special family dinners. Now that his grandmother is gone and his mom is in a nursing home, it's up to me to make them. I have taught my son and daughter how to make them too!

Homemade Noodles

1 egg
1/2 eggshell of water
Dash of salt

Mix together with fork in teacup or small coffee cup. Gradually add flour until soft dough
forms. Scrape out of cup onto a scoop of flour. Knead flour into dough until it can be rolled out. If dough is too sticky while rolling, add more flour. Let dry for a couple of hours. Cut into thin strips. Can be used now or frozen in ziplock bag. When ready to cook, heat chicken or beef broth to boiling. Amount varies depending upon amount of noodles. For 1 egg of noodles, probably 2 cans of broth. Simmer until noodles or tender. Add extra salt if needed!

Although making homemade noodles for a large group can be time consuming, I enjoy carrying on family traditions.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Ingredients 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, 1 stick melted, 1/2 stick softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt
1-2/3 cups flour 4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions: 1.Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2.In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, the baking powder, the baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour.

3.Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

4.Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 2 pinches salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.

5.Spread the flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.

Corn Pudding
Ingredients
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 large eggs
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
6 cups fresh corn kernels (about 12 ears) or 6 cups frozen whole kernel corn or 6 cups canned white shoepeg corn, drained
Directions
Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
Whisk together eggs, cream, and butter.
Gradually add sugar mixture, whisking until smooth; stir in corn.
Pour into a lightly greased oblong baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes OR until golden brown and set.
Let stand 5 minutes.

If you want an easy recipe, there's always the McDonald's cheeseburger stuffing option.

(I"m being serious, here...)

Go to McD's and purchase 15 to 30 (depending on the size of your bird) PLAIN cheeseburgers. (Many McD's are closed on Turkey day, so you may have to do it the day before.)

Take them home, and cut them into very small pieces. Moisten them with a little chicken or turkey broth and stuff the turkey with the mixture. (You can add a little poultry seasoning, or onion or garlic powder or whatever else you'd like)

You will be *amazed* at how delicious it turns out !

(I can understand you not wanting to risk this for your special day, but try it next time you roast a chicken for a "regular" meal.)

It's darned tasty. :)

I've heard of people doing this with White Castles too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter