You can take the girl out of Disney, BUT………

"gasp" lol you went to the other side. Kinda glad you did tho. I haven't been to US since 1996 and I was preggers then. My DS has read all of the HP books and would love to go but the disney fanatic that I am can't split my time. When I'm in Orlando it's all at WDW or this mom isn't happy. Maybe one day I'll try for them tho.

WOW! Fantastic pictures of Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. It is such a well themed area and impressive on its own, but the details are so much more meaningful if you are into HP (said the Griffindork).

ITA about the greenhouse! Way too hot in there, and that is where the line always seems to back up. The rest of the castle before and after is really cool (and cooler).

Our family enjoys the Butterbeer, but oh my is it sweet!

Joining in! Love the pictures so far. I am obsessed with Harry Potter, so I definitely need to go to the WWoHP soon.

:lmao: You could help Skip turn innocent road names into dirty names then.

I have to say, there is an exit in Michigan....exit 69, and the road name is Big Beaver Road....you can NOT tell me they didn't do that on purpose. :rolleyes:

My high school principal was Richard Head. :rotfl2:

Jill in CO

My 10th grade English teacher's name was Richard Weed.

Love this conversation!!!! Mine to add - we had swim team shirts with our last names on them. If you has a sibling on the team it was your first initial and last name. Well Paul Nussbaum had a brother and they did not fit his whole name on the back so....

On the back of his shirt was P. Nuss

Love seeing all the Harry Potter stuff. Need to tear myself away from Disney for just a bit to go.

I must confess I have never read the Harry Potter books and only watched the first movie. Your pictures are great and the background that you had to explain to Clair also helped me out.

My niece and nephews want to spend a couple of days at the two parks of Universal on our next family trip. They have read all the books and have the movies, but I do not want to miss two days at Disney. We are still talking about it. We may split the older adults stay at Disney and the younger ones drive over to Universal. Of course they want to stay on the grounds for early entry, but are not footing the bill. I have a feeling they will at least be staying at Pop Century and driving over, if they want to try Harry Potter rides. Our last family trip was two nights at Universal and three nights at Disney and my SIL and I said then that the next trip would be all Disney. So I have done all the rides at both Universal parks except Harry Potter section.

My DH are going to Disney in Sept., but when we go there are no thrill rides and with niece and nephews I ride all the thrill rides. For that reason the trips are totally different.

I have a suggestion for those who do want to do the 2 days at Universal and want early entry. Book a night at the Quality Inn. It's not too far down the road, it's a decent Hotel. Not luxurious, but it's good enough, and they will get early entry then...and it's one of the cheapest good neighbor hotels. If they want express pass, thats another story, but they can buy it themselves if they really want it.

Love all the new photo in the updates, Jen!

Since I don't know much about Harry Potter, this is so interesting. I love all the queue areas (except the greenhouse idea in the summer ;))

I love Claire's reaction to butterbeer. She is such a trooper tasting it. :goodvibes

Can't wait for more! popcorn::

Maybe you should start reading the books to your class? They are probably at a good age to like them. Or get the CD on book and play a chapter each day. You don't have to admit, it's for your own research. :laughing:

You could get the English versions so it would be an English lesson as well.

I am enjoying your trip report. Your daughter has grown so much! Keep the info coming!!

Thanks so much. She really is growing like a weed.

"gasp" lol you went to the other side. Kinda glad you did tho. I haven't been to US since 1996 and I was preggers then. My DS has read all of the HP books and would love to go but the disney fanatic that I am can't split my time. When I'm in Orlando it's all at WDW or this mom isn't happy. Maybe one day I'll try for them tho.

I have a hard time with that too, which is one reason we haven't gone before now on our family trips. This worked out great, because it was a Universal trip, with a little Disney thrown in, but I went knowing Universal was the main place. And it helps that I am going down to Disney in Nov. too.

Maybe my TR and pics will make you want to give it a try.

WOW! Fantastic pictures of Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. It is such a well themed area and impressive on its own, but the details are so much more meaningful if you are into HP (said the Griffindork).

ITA about the greenhouse! Way too hot in there, and that is where the line always seems to back up. The rest of the castle before and after is really cool (and cooler).

Our family enjoys the Butterbeer, but oh my is it sweet!

I'm a bit of a Griffindork too. When you had those quizes on your TR, even though I read it much later...I still took them. :rolleyes1

Butterbeer is too sweet, which I usually like that stuff...a little spoiler, I did try the cold one the next day and I liked that one much better.

Joining in! Love the pictures so far. I am obsessed with Harry Potter, so I definitely need to go to the WWoHP soon.

Thanks so much for joining! If you like Harry Potter then this would be the place for you. I really hope all the rumors are true and that they are putting in Diagon Alley over where Jaws used to be at Studios.

Love this conversation!!!! Mine to add - we had swim team shirts with our last names on them. If you has a sibling on the team it was your first initial and last name. Well Paul Nussbaum had a brother and they did not fit his whole name on the back so....

On the back of his shirt was P. Nuss

Love seeing all the Harry Potter stuff. Need to tear myself away from Disney for just a bit to go.

I totally laughed out loud. That poor kid! Did people tease him...because if I was his friend....I would have! :rotfl2:

I was telling Skip some of these the other night and he was just loving it. We love grade school humor. :rolleyes1

I love seeing the HP stuff, it looks so real.

I do think that the HP books are better suited for older kids say around 10 or maybe 9. Each book gets darker & scarier as Harry ages, the first chapter of the last book in the series almost put me off finishing it! The vision of that was almost too much for me. I did finally read it & I thoroughly loved those books.

Just found your report and am enjoying it! couple questions if you don't mind...I was there opening day at WWohP and perhaps this is why I remember very little - sheer madness!

Last time I did not ride FJ but DH and DD did. I went thru the que with them and then went to child swap area. Am I given a ticket or the ability to ride if I do choose? I have a bad hip/low back and always wait for the verdict from DH on a ride. He claims I could handle it, DD says no! So if I go to the child swap area can I then ride the ride if the verdict comes back to go for it?

Also, assuming I opt NOT to chance FJ, go to the child swap area and wait - can I have our backpack wtih us since I will not be riding or must I check this at the locker?

I totally laughed out loud. That poor kid! Did people tease him...because if I was his friend....I would have! :rotfl2:

I was telling Skip some of these the other night and he was just loving it. We love grade school humor. :rolleyes1

We would shout it across the pool deck. :lmao: Luckily the kid had a sense of humor and we were teens so it was hilarious. It would be Hey NUSS P. NUSS :rotfl2::rotfl2:

We would shout it across the pool deck. :lmao: Luckily the kid had a sense of humor and we were teens so it was hilarious. It would be Hey NUSS P. NUSS :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Again, please forgive my HP ignorance.... but what is butter beer and what does it taste like?

The rides, are they like scene from the movies?

Again, please forgive my HP ignorance.... but what is butter beer and what does it taste like?

Butter Beer tastes like a buttscotch Cream soda. It can be served frozen or just cold, either way, it's amazing and worth the $$ but a lot of calories, especially with the cream topping!

The rides and que are just like to movie! It's amazing!!

Thats great your going to have your pictures published!:cool2:

I'm loving all the Harry Potter pictures. We didn't do the wand shop because of the line so I'm glad I got to see your pictures of the inside. That was a long wait.

I didn't know about the triple AAA discount on he butterbeer. We didn't get the frozen one we got the regular one with whip cream. We shared one and it was very sweet. River loved it when we got one the first day. He kept saying he wanted another one. We got another one on our 2nd day there and it was SO HOT that day that the heat and the sweetness really got to him and he felt so sick he actually laid down on the hot pavement! I was afraid he was going to have a heat stroke!

I think Forbidden Journey has the best queue ever! I loved it and we had a 45min. wait. But it was ok because we kept moving.

I love seeing the HP stuff, it looks so real.

I do think that the HP books are better suited for older kids say around 10 or maybe 9. Each book gets darker & scarier as Harry ages, the first chapter of the last book in the series almost put me off finishing it! The vision of that was almost too much for me. I did finally read it & I thoroughly loved those books.

You are right. I think they were written for preteens, but as the series goes on, they seem to age with the kids who started reading them at a preteen age.

Just found your report and am enjoying it! couple questions if you don't mind...I was there opening day at WWohP and perhaps this is why I remember very little - sheer madness!

Last time I did not ride FJ but DH and DD did. I went thru the que with them and then went to child swap area. Am I given a ticket or the ability to ride if I do choose? I have a bad hip/low back and always wait for the verdict from DH on a ride. He claims I could handle it, DD says no! So if I go to the child swap area can I then ride the ride if the verdict comes back to go for it?

Also, assuming I opt NOT to chance FJ, go to the child swap area and wait - can I have our backpack wtih us since I will not be riding or must I check this at the locker?

I bet it was madness!
I'm not sure what kind of hip and back problems you have, but Skip has had the same hip replaced twice, once in Oct of 2009 and then again in Dec of 2010. He rode it with no problems. I have back problems too. I'm basically sore all the time. I didn't have any more problems with this ride than others.
I think you would have no problem going into the childswap line, as long as you have a child to hang with you. If not, then I'm not sure they will let you. But I am sure you can take the backpack in that line and swap it when you do ride.

Do you ride space Mountain, or rockin rollarcoaster? If you can do those, you can surely do FJ. Those are much harder on my back.

That is so funny. Though if I was Mr. P. Nuss, I would ask to have my shirt redone. :lmao:

It's like a butterscotch cream soda type of a drink. You can have it frozen, which is like a slush or cold. It has a lot of foam on the top too. I liked the foam. It's very sweet though. I tried a cold one the next day and it was much better to me. Less sweet.

They sell it at several carts or in the Hogs head, but at the hogs head the line is not bad at all if any. AND you get 10% off with AAA. Most of the cart type places don't offer that discount.

Butter Beer tastes like a buttscotch Cream soda. It can be served frozen or just cold, either way, it's amazing and worth the $$ but a lot of calories, especially with the cream topping!

The rides and que are just like to movie! It's amazing!!

No, no calories at all. There are no calories while on vacation....you didn't know that? :laughing:

Thats great your going to have your pictures published!:cool2:

I'm loving all the Harry Potter pictures. We didn't do the wand shop because of the line so I'm glad I got to see your pictures of the inside. That was a long wait.

I didn't know about the triple AAA discount on he butterbeer. We didn't get the frozen one we got the regular one with whip cream. We shared one and it was very sweet. River loved it when we got one the first day. He kept saying he wanted another one. We got another one on our 2nd day there and it was SO HOT that day that the heat and the sweetness really got to him and he felt so sick he actually laid down on the hot pavement! I was afraid he was going to have a heat stroke!

I think Forbidden Journey has the best queue ever! I loved it and we had a 45min. wait. But it was ok because we kept moving.

I liked the regular one much better. I had read about AAA on a couple of TR's and then Barb told me it again. She told me show it everywhere, the worst they could say was no. I think we only forgot to show it once when we ate, and that was because Skip paid when I was in the bathroom.....I should've lef the card with him, but I wasn't thinking. It always feels good to get a little discount.....even if it isn't much.

The FJ queue is really cool. I was amazed how fast you keep moving for the most part. They did a really good job with it.

I totally stole this picture from Karin...but I LOVE it.

Happy Easter Everyone!!!

easter.jpg

Thanks for posting good to hear about Olivanders. We are going with another family in late August and between us we have five teens who are all huge Harry Potter fans. I am still trying to determine if it's really worth our time watching the wand selection. Anyone else been late in the day does it ever slow down?

Thanks for posting good to hear about Olivanders. We are going with another family in late August and between us we have five teens who are all huge Harry Potter fans. I am still trying to determine if it's really worth our time watching the wand selection. Anyone else been late in the day does it ever slow down?

it slows down the last few hours before park closing.

I am glad you like it! :goodvibes

Happy Easter to you and your family, Jen! :hug:

That is just the cutest darn thing ever. Did Tom make that? I posted it all over facebook too. :rotfl:

Can't wait to hear more. I'm getting more excited about US hopefully I'll enjoy it.

I've been working on pictures today, so I should have another post up tomorrow! :thumbsup2
Go in knowing it's not the same as Disney. Some things are better and some are not. But it is still great fun. And some rides really blow Disney out of the water. And it has more thrill rides as well. I'm not a thrill ride junky, but I knwo for some, thats a major draw.

From what I hear, it's busy through most of the day. I can't verify it because we did IoA in the early part of the day and never made it back in the evenings.

It was fun to do once, but not something I wil lbe dying to get back to.

it slows down the last few hours before park closing.

Thanks! :) Good to know!

We headed out in search of a smoking area. Just a heads up for those who do smoke, there is not any smoking areas in WWoHP. There is one right outside the gates in the Lost Continent though.
I tried to take a few more pictures as we headed that way, which was tricky to do with a cup of butterbeer in my hand.

berniebottsbeans.jpg

cottencandy.jpg

wetstartfireworks.jpg

hogwartsexpress3.jpg

hogsmeade7.jpg

Into the Lost Continent and directly to your right is a little cove for the smokers.

lc1.jpg

Claire sat and drank her Butterbeer, this is when she told us she didn’t care for it anymore.

tastingbutterbeer.jpg

2012-03-27_09-43-47_45-1.jpg

We found out then that Skip has spilled the foam from his butterbeer all over the backsack. How he did this, I have no clue, but it was really foamy and gross. I had a few napkins and tried to clean it up the best I could and it appeared it hadn’t gotten on anything IN the backsack.

We just sat and relaxed a bit…well they sat, I kept taking pictures and sipping on my butterbeer.

skipthinking.jpg

lclantern.jpg

skipsbutterbeer.jpg

lcashtray.jpg

lcflower.jpg

Skip and I split Claire’s butterbeer into our glasses and went off towards Seuss Landing before Claire exploded. This was all she could talk about.

intolostcontinent.jpg

As you can see, I still kept taking pictures in route to Seussland.

shopofwnder.jpg

sinbadfountain.jpg

treasuresofposeidon.jpg

fireeaters.jpg

signpostinlc.jpg

treasuressign.jpg

poseidonshow.jpg

tritonhand.jpg

waterfalllion.jpg

waterfall2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter