Yikes! New Fantansmic Dinner package PS'?

Oh, this will be the just the first of many such changes.

Fasten your wallets deary, this is going to be a bumpy Fall.

(Okay, I don’t really want to be cryptic, but there are a lot of ideas floating around out there right now. Some of the more innocent ones are allowing resorts guests to hold two Fast Passes at a time, to dinner tickets at Epcot to additional charges for Fantasmic! for all guests and everything in between. The MBA’s are scurrying to compile the PowerPoint presentations now so no one has any idea when or if these will come to pass. But one thing is certain – expect a flurry of new ideas and changes all driven to increase the amount of money you must hand over to The Mouse.)

... I actually like the idea of treating fantasmic like the CP diner package. There are limited number of reserved seat passes for each show. Unless you plan on eating a very early lunch there is no guarentee of getting the passes. I like to KNOW I'm going to get seats without having to que up 90 minutes early. So they raised the price at H & V $5.00, I think an hour of my time while I'm on vacation is worth 5 bucks.Plus I don't have to eat lunch at 11:00 am. So Disney see's a chance to make a few more bucks- name one company that would pass up an opportunity to maximize their profits,especially in this day and age.

Honestly Baron, I don't think Walt could live in these times. I think stockholders would sour him on even trying to keep "Disney" in business.

KNWVIKING, you may be right. You just may be right!

But somehow, I think he would have tried a bit harder than this regime is trying. Hmmmm. Kind of seems sometimes as though thay ain't trying at all!!!

I think you'll agree with that at least!!! ;)

It's not a question of "do you or don't you try to maximize your profits" it's a question of HOW. There are a lot of companies out there that are willing to sacrifice on the margins because they believe that they will make up for it in volume. And these companies believe the keys to that lie in "customer service" and "perceived value."

" There are a lot of companies out there that are willing to sacrifice on the margins because they believe that they will make up for it in volume."

Can you give me a hint ? I'm at a loss to think of one. "customer service" and "perceived value."

Personally, WDW just provided me guarenteed seating to fantasmic without a 90+ minute wait and a great meal when I want to eat it,where I want to eat it,all for an additional $5.00. I think thats pretty good customer service at a real - not perceived- value.

KNWVIKING -- I guess it just depends on where you want to eat too.
From my perspective, DH and I have done the FDP at BD twice. From experience, I now know it isn't even necessary in January.
But in May, DH and I ate what we wanted at BD for the FDP. With tip and tax, our bill came to $48.47 for the two of us. (Not big eaters and we only drink ice tea.)
Let's see -- under the new FDP at BD that would be $39.33 twice = $78.66. This subtotal does include tip.
I have to add on two ice teas at $2 each and tax.
$82.66, tax 6% (same rate we paid in May).
Total $87.62
I am aware we would get a lot more food. But it's food we would be just stuffing into ourselves because *we paid extra for it.*
For those who like big meals, or aren't on a budget, the extra $39.15 would be just fine.
If they offered this price for the Fireworks Viewing at CA Grille, I would JUMP on it! ;)
So it's not a bad deal all the way around. Especially if guests do get free popcorn and drinks at Fantasmic, as some have reported. However, after eating all that food at BD I don't know how I could put anything more in my stomach without getting sick.
To me, this trend defeats the purpose of the FDP, which was to get guests into the restaurants in the first place.
Families with small kids -- I see them grabbing quick bites and eating in the seating area. But I very possibly could be proved wrong on that.
I would have rather seen WDW execs to decide to charge $10 - $15 for FDP no-shows, if this really was their true motivation. Heck, they wouldn't even have to serve anyone and get some cash and still keep the other guests happy. :)
Just my thoughts, right or wrong.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
" Personally, WDW just provided me guarenteed seating to fantasmic without a 90+ minute wait and a great meal when I want to eat it,where I want to eat it,all for an additional $5.00. I think thats pretty good customer service at a real - not perceived- value.

it is not an additional $5..it is $5 PER PERSON and there is NO RAIN CHECK apparently...$20 extra for a family of four and nothing to show for it if the show is cancelled by rain (and no free popcorn) and as Luv2roam points out, for most people it is not just $5, since the $40 per person charge is way more than they would have spent, per person per meal, even at Brown Derby...I hope this fails miserably...what may happen if it really allows more flexibility in the timing of your meal---the "good" meal times will sell some FDP's at a slight increase in cash flow over what they could take in before they started charging...BUT the early hours at those restaurants previously filled up with "free" FDP reservations won't sell as much as they used to--who wants to pay extra to eat dinner at 4:45....and the net effect will be LESS money coming in throught the restaurants...(I HOPE!) I know we will not do this with our party of 8.

My son and I like to eat at Hollywood & Vine whether we plan to see Fantasmic or not. I see no indication if this price is for all diners or just for FDP.

I think a valid point was made when the apparent no raincheck policy was mentioned. We made FDP at Hollywood & Vine last year just before a severe rainstorm came in. Needless to say, the show was cancelled. We didn't mind because we like to eat at H&V anyway like I already stated. But I wonder how much grumbling will go on from people who don't get to see the show? Or get the free popcorn and drinks? (Which is a good deal considering what that costs at WDW!)

Ya know -- If Disney even sweetened the pot by allowing these guets better seats (front row and/or mid section) AND screened the departures so FDP guests left first, THEN it would be worth the cost. (Guess I would take my dessert to go -- and maybe the salad too! ;):jester: )
But they would still be stuck with that hurdle if Fantasmic was cancelled. Too many guests fret a cancellation without paying extra for it. The scene could get ugly if they paid extra and it was cancelled to boot.

I guess part of my increasing frustration with this board is that it seems no matter what WDW tries- it's WRONG. If Disney says YES, we say NO,if they say BLACK,we say WHITE.

I go to Disney 3-4 weeks a year. I know I'm going to spend a lot of money on overpriced everything,( anybody who goes to WDW thinking otherwise is truely in fantasyland). DW & I personally think the dining package is a great idea that fits our style of vacation. I don't know if the diner package for CP started the same way as Fantasmic's, but in the year or so I've been on the various Dis boards I haven't heard any complaints,(maybe there are tons of them ?).

Disney will never satisfy everyone. I- and I assume others- are more satisfied with this version of Fantasmic DP then the old. It seems like all people do now on this board is read or hear something,then rush to be the first on-line and bash it just for the sake of bashing.

Since I'm a relatively big eater, and I have a fantastic ability to want the most expensive item(s) on the menu, this doesn't seem bad to me. I haven't checked the menu lately, but I think I could spend $33 (AKA $40 w/tip) on an appetizer, entree, and dessert at the Brown Derby without trying very hard.

Personally, I'm more irritated with the 45 minutes-in-advance requirement than the dinner price. The whole point, for me, of packages like this is to reduce the time and aggravation required in getting a good seat at the show. If they have the section reserved, why not make it 10 minutes? That would still allow time for last-minute overflow seating into the reserved section, without requiring me to sit on my hands for 3/4 of an hour at the end of the day. I've had good luck with bringing a deck of cards to pass the time, but still...

Originally posted by KNWVIKING

Disney will never satisfy everyone. I- and I assume others- are more satisfied with this version of Fantasmic DP then the old. It seems like all people do now on this board is read or hear something,then rush to be the first on-line and bash it just for the sake of bashing.

Look other people not on the News and Rumor board who don't like it either...So don't lump everyone here into the we bash anything that Disney does crowd.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260293

Nobody is bashing Disney when they "get it right". Disney has just not been getting right latley. It's a sad fact.

Also, I am not opposed to spending $. Heaven forbid -- I wish I was! ;)
DH and forked over the $80+ to pay for the Fantasmic dessert buffet at DL! Let's face it, we obviously knew we would not eat $80+ in desserts and drink that much in non-alcoholic mint juleps. ;) We loved it, rave about it, and would do it again.
But we felt special and were treated as special Disney guests. It was a great time!:bounce:
I just have to feel like I am at least getting close to my money's worth in something -- memories, perks, SOMETHING!

Funny you should mention DL buffet. DW & I leave for DL this Saturday & we have been debating on wether or not to do it. You may have just made up my mind.Thanx.

PS, can I borrow $80.00 :-)

KNWVIKING -- I suggest everyone does it at least once.
DH loves fireworks. And when we were at DL, the park wasn't even THAT busy. And I think Fantasmic at DL is better than WDW. It really was magical. You just won't belive what they do to that dinky island! ;)
At DL, it is a REAL camp out for any available spot and it is shoulder to shoulder, squish in tight.
We did both ways and the dessert buffet is the way to go! :bounce:

So Disney see's a chance to make a few more bucks- name one company that would pass up an opportunity to maximize their profits,especially in this day and age.

Attaching a fee to a service does not necessarily make it more profitable.

This is a concept that service-oriented companies should always keep in mind.

Especially when they find patronage of their businesses at disappointing levels...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter