YIKES ~ first VISA bill from vacation in!

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
WOW! I knew it would be a BIG one but I can't get over the exhange rate!

EXAMPLE: Dinner at Crystal Palace, 2 adults, one 7 year old and one 15 month old $92.00 CANADIAN FUNDS!
THAT IS ONE MEAL!

HOWEVER, all that said, everything was still within the LAST budget.

I think I'll be spending more time on the BUDGET BOARDS! LOL.

I really want to go back next April, but after seeing the VISA bill, I am thinking April 2003! WE SHALL SEE!

Our Canadian dollar really hits hard, doesn't it. When I'm down in the states I'm always converting in my head into Canadian dollars... for instance... when I see them selling bottles of water (or pop) for $2.50 in the parks, I think... that's more than $3.75 (depending on exchange rate that day) for one bottle of water!!!! Yikes!!! :p That'd better be some special water. ;) :rolleyes:

Hope you find lots of great deals on the Budget Board so that you can go back as soon as possible. :cool:

Those after vacation Visa bills can pack a painful punch!!!

#1 Disney Fan, I was doing the same thing, converting everything into Canadian $'s, and it drove my DH crazy!! :p I couldn't help it!!

Those Visa bills sure are painful, aren't they? The item that killed me was the chocolate bars at Captain Cook's at the Polynesian. It was $2.50 USD for your basic KitKat bar. Youch! - almost $4.00 at the current exchange rate. Is there a chocolate shortage in WDW by any chance?

I just finished getting the last of the visa and mastercard charges from our March trip. The exchange rate was 1.59 on average. I was so used to just adding 50% onto everything, but it's actually more now. You don't notice it so much on smaller amounts (although these add up), but when you get into the hundreds, you can really see how much more it's costing for a US vacation. :(

Hello:

Also with Visa, I always find that they add either 1.50% to 2% on top of the exchange rate for some sort of service charge. So we will take travellers cheques from AAA, to avoid the extra 2%. Check it out Sandra and see if they added that to your expenses in the U.S.

Deb.

When we went to WDW last year,a few weeks before we left, we put some of our savings on our visa account. So when the bills started to be charged on our visa, for some reason it didn't seem as bad. Psychological, I guess:D . Anyway, I know how you feel about those exchange rates.:( . If only we had a WDW in Canada! Gotta dream.
Canadave

Thanks for your replies!

Credit card was 1.575, Canada Trust cash was 1.58

I was so happy to have made up my mind to return next April until the bills came in ~ the good news is I saved enough that all the bills are paid.

I had already told dd that we would go back April, but then I had second thoughts and didn't know how to break it to her.

BUT looked like we still might go! I had a chat with a nice young girl at a shop today and she just returned from WDW too. She was 19 years old and talked me into going again LOL!

I figure with dd's health problems (stable now but that's likely to change) I should just give the kids (and the parents) the best possible time I can as soon as I can!

I feel like I'm "living as fast as I can!"

Hi Sandra:

I guess if you had of known you might go back you could have traded your passes for annual passes, maybe that would have saved a little money that way.

I don't blame you for wanting to get as much in as possible with your family. Having fun and making memories is what it is all about.

Have you thought of staying at the dolphin or swan with an entertainment rate or disney club. We are staying there for the first time this summer, and I am really looking forward to it, we usually stay at the dixie l. But it has been 5 years since we have been down.

There are also the all stars, hopefully you can get a discount of some sort next year. Good luck in getting back, I am driving my hubby crazy with all my disney talk for the past , I'd say 5 years. I tell him I talk about it so much cause it has been so long since we have been.
Bye,

Debbie.

Hi SandraC! I've been reading your threads for a while now. So happy to hear that you had such a great time and that you may possibly go back for another round of fun next year.

I know what you mean about the bills. Last year, we went all out. We went to WDW, stayed at the Dolphin and ate at all the wonderful, pricey restaurants. Yikes!! When we got back, I didn't know how long we'd have to take to pay it all off. On top of it all, we live in Richmond, B.C. , which means our airfare is not as cheap as what you guys pay in Ontario. We paid about $650 per ticket.

We're going to Disneyland this time in October, and through Priceline.com, we are paying $65 USD per night at the Anaheim Marriott--a deal for the 4 of us!

Maybe, for your trip next year, you can look into Priceline.com. To sign up on Priceline, you need a US address (I could be wrong, but on the list of cities to choose from, there were no Canadian cities). I used my brother's, a New York resident. The only caveat to using Priceline is that it is non-refundable and non-changeable. (With a potentially sick child, you may need the flexibility.) Look into it, and see if it could work for you. Good luck and happy planning for the next trip!!!

Doesn't it just suck! I just put a deposit on our 2 night stay after our cruise at AKL. $169 US became $268.00 CDN. I really think Disney should do something nice for Canadians. I don't think their pass deal is such a good thing, as its only during a certain time of year.

The resort cost can be very high. I paid almost $300.00 CDN for CBR nightly! That's way too much ~ BUT ~ I was just chatting on the phone with a friend and I explained that Disney really does SERVE guests. I really felt like I was on a resort with all the extra specials.

We were greeted in the parking lot by a handsome (Paul Sorvino looking) man dressed like a Spanish General. He was charming and friendly and set the tone to a great time.

As soon as we entered the Custom House a CM charged up to dd and gave her stickers, crayons, books etc.,. and kept her laughing and busy while we checked in.

I got the EXACT room I faxed a request on.

The guy that tidies up the pop/coffee area in the food court started chatting and then he went and got a Mickey straw for dd. It's only .49 but it's the thought that counted, he didn't have to do that ~ it was nice.

There's more of course....

I don't like paying $300.00 nightly, but I loved the DISNEY FEELING! And I guess that's worth ALMOST $300.00 nightly.

Next time we'll stay at ALLSTARS to save $$$$, I hope to get a code rate of $49.00!

Hello:

Why don't we write to guest communications, and ask when they are going to throw some resort specials towards Canadians as a marketing ploy. Just a suggestion.

Deb.

Giving Canadians a break on resort rates (at par would be good, of course!) would be ideal.

The pass deal at buy one get a second one half price is nice, but it doesn't ensure that everyone would stay at a disney resort.

Let's face it - we are going to go anyway, and buy the passes that go along with it: why not lock us into a resort stay at the same time?

Makes perfect business sense to me!

having a disney day...........:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter