Yet Another Pronunciation Spinoff: Water

Another Water like otter here, and it is almost always a faucet. I live in the Great Northwest.

I say wah-ter, which is how it was said in Michigan where I grew up. Many people pronounce it that way, as well, in Kentucky, but in some of the smaller towns you hear "war-ter."

Water like otter. And tap.

You made me realize my pronunciation is somewhere between "wotter" and "waugh-ter" (wotter would rhyme with otter and waugh-ter would rhyme with daughter).

Oh, and it's a faucet to me. I've heard "spigot," but it sounds very country and old fashioned to my ears.

I find it hard to believe so many Americans actually pronounce the T in water so distinctly. That sound very affected to me. Maybe if I were looking at the word by itself (as on this thread) and being asked to pronounce it I would say "wah-ter. But in actual speech, it would come out more as wah-der. Do most people really say boTTle of waTer? I doubt it...

I find it hard to believe so many Americans actually pronounce the T in water so distinctly. That sound very affected to me. Maybe if I were looking at the word by itself (as on this thread) and being asked to pronounce it I would say "wah-ter. But in actual speech, it would come out more as wah-der. Do most people really say boTTle of waTer? I doubt it...

LOL...it actually comes out boddle of waTer when I think about it!

Wadder when I am not thinking,

WAT-er when I am.

A lot of people tend to change the T sound to a D in my part of the midwest. So, a boddle of wadder. lol

It comes out of the tap or faucet, but if I have to say spigot, I say spig-it.

I'm from "Baldimore" LOL (Baltimore Md) and I say wood-er. My mom is from Tennessee and she says wah-der.

I say it like otter with a w, but now after reading this thread, I'm sitting here saying it over and over and it sounds different each time.

Like this video

Funny thing, I looked for a video of a NYer saying water and the woman in the video saying water happens to be a former co-worker.

On St. Patrick's Day, my daughter & I ended up on Youtube researching Irish accents... which led us down a 2-hour accent rabbit hole.

And we found Amy Walker...

Here she is doing a tour of American accents:

I'm a WAH-der. And growing up in Northern Illinois, we got our water from the faucet and drank it from a drinking fountain or water fountain. Here in Wisconsin, they get their water from a spigot and drink it from a BUBBLER. Lord I hate the term bubbler!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter