Yacht/Beach Club vs. Boardwalk Inn

mar915

Mouseketeer
How do the two compare. We have stayed at the Dolphin and like the boardwalk area. How do you get from the Yacht to the Boardwalk area late at night. Can you walk?

Thanks any info would be great. :earseek:

You can walk or take the numerous water taxis that run from Swan/Dolphin to Boardwalk, BC/YC EPCOT and MGM.

You can walk between those resorts over a bridge that takes you over the lake. It's not a bad walk but late at night its not as convenient as just walking back to your room if you are staying at Boardwalk Inn!

I think choosing the hotel depends on which theme you like best, since you have already settled on the Epcot area. Have you seen the pictures of the room interiors of the BC, YC or Boardwalk? I've stayed at all three each resort has its pros and cons, but its all subjective, of course. For me, the rooms at the Boardwalk are the prettiest in terms of decor. I also really liked the view of the courtyard we had from our very large balcony. The Boardwalk has the best theming (reminds me of Great Gatsby which I loved as a kid) in my opinion, and I loved that we had the quiet pool's jacuzzi to ourselves most nights. You can also get a pretty good view of Illuminations from this hotel, especially if you are staying concierge because you can see it right from the lounge area. My son loved the elephants around the Carrousel themed pool (with a big carnival slide) because he's a Dumbo fan (he's 5 now). There was a playground he liked, too. I think its a great resort for families or adults alike because adults have a lot to do on the Boardwalk as well, and there is a workout center. Some cons might be that the restaurants are pricey, some might find it inconvenient to have to leave the interior of the hotel to go to get something to eat (doesn't bother us, though), and this hotel has a busier feeling than say, the Grand Floridian. But I thinks its a great place.

The Beach club has an elegant seashore theme. Some think its less upscale than the neighboring Yacht club but I would say its just more relaxed...I think the Cape Cod-esque type decor is pretty elegant. We stayed here in concierge and had great service. It was one of our few trips were we received towel animals. Here we had great luck being alone in the quiet pool jacuzzi. We were disappointed by how early SAB closed (8pm, which was well before the time we'd normally visit the jacuzzi) and I didn't like the sometimes brutal splashing by very excited families at SAB. My son likes to swim, too but I ask that he not splash anyone! He LOVED the small pirate slide, though, and we had a very pleasant stay. We had a great time at Beaches and Cream and found the food surprising good (the ice cream and burgers were above average par). The Yacht club is has a nautical theme and the rooms are in blues, golds and off white. It had kind of a colonial feel to me, with lots of stars and emblems. I found both sides of the resorts maybe slightly less busy feeling than the Boardwalk, but not really anymore user friendly. It's still hard to get the refillable mugs filled at the YC, BC or BWI (all places you need to ask an attendant and there are only a couple places, plus there is no caffeine-free diet which is what I drink). Its easy at the GF, WL or AKL where you can refill mugs yourself. Not a biggie, though.
We stayed at the Boardwalk after a Yacht Club stay because we felt it was silly how much time we were spending taking the boat or walking over to the Boardwalk when we could have just as easily chosen that hotel (we tried the YC on our first Disney trip before we knew much about the hotels). So its not a big deal to get over there, but its certainly more convenient if you're staying right in the BWI princess: if you're going to be spending a lot of time at the Boardwalk area. :wizard: :cloud9:

I've walked back to the Beach Club and the Swan from the Boardwalk area at 2:00 a.m. after closing Jellyrolls several times. It's a quick walk to any of these resorts, and I have always felt safe, even as a single woman walking alone.

Karen

YC, BC, BW are all equally as nice, just differently themed/decorated. The only + the YC/BC is Stormalong Bay.

As far as getting form the YC/BC to the boardwalk area...you can walk, take a boat. It's not a terribly long walk and quite pleasant if it's a nice night.

When are you going & who is in your travelling party - kids, just adults?

We have stayed at all 3 of those resorts & our preference is the YC. We like the YC because it is a little quieter than the BC.

Honestly though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. :D

We are going June 11-18 with 4 adults and 2 kids(kids 2 and 7). It is my husband, my mom and my brother(who is single and like the Boardwalk for late at night).

Thanks for all the input

Mary :earseek:

Balconies-All (or almost all) the rooms at YC and BWI have them. BC has some and many are standing room only. My preference is the YC, BWI and BC in that order.

Another question for anyone who stayed at the Boardwalk Inn, do you know how deep the water is that the slide goes in. My son would love it, but we are still working on his swimming. Is there a little kids slide there?

Thanks

Mary :earseek:

Have stayed only at YC, but researched BWI and BC pretty thoroughly before our trip.

Initially favoured BWI, but we decided there probably were more children than we would enjoy (it was a ladies only, R&R trip). That narrowed it between the YC and BC. I liked the decor at BC better than YC, but the deciding factor was that all of the upper floor rooms at YC have a full balcony. That won the debate! My friend sat on the balcony every morning and evening, and frequently went out there later in the evening when she couldn't sleep (she doesn't sleep well away from her DH).

There are a lot of children at YC, as the main pool is SAB. They're exactly like children at all of the resorts: some are well-behaved, some are less so, some have the occasional meltdown. Ditto for the adults! The quiet pools are quite nice, as well, but just standard pools. I'm thinking there is a hot tub at one of the quiet pools.

This was during the Fairytale Package promotion in 2003, so we ended up staying concierge. It was a lovely way to pamper ourselves! :)

mar915 said:
Another question for anyone who stayed at the Boardwalk Inn, do you know how deep the water is that the slide goes in. My son would love it, but we are still working on his swimming. Is there a little kids slide there?

If I remember correctly, a parent can stand near the bottom of the slide & "catch" a child coming down the slide.

Can someone tell me more about Stormalong Bay. I too am comparing BWI and BC/YC

Stormalong Bay is actually three separate pools side by side that are uniquely shaped like meandering lakes. The first pool has the huge pirate ship slide and a swirling current area (this is my favorite pool). The second pool area has some very deep parts and lots of milder currents pushing you along (but its hard to swim there for younger kids). Two hottubs are right next to this pool. Then the third pool has a sand bottom and central sand area for kids to play in, and another hottub next to it.

There is also a pool bar area called Hurricane Hannah's and a big lighthouse deck structure. On the otherside of a walkway which goes between the Yacht and Beach club and the lake, there if a fourth pool area (a small one) with a small pirate slide for children maybe seven or eight or younger. This area has the stairs to climb to get to the top of the big slide that goes into the main pool area.

mar915 said:
We are going June 11-18 with 4 adults and 2 kids(kids 2 and 7). It is my husband, my mom and my brother(who is single and like the Boardwalk for late at night).
The key to the decision is actually the dates of June 11-18. It is extremely hot and humid at that time. Therefore, the amount of time spent on a balcony, will probably be minimal. It's always nice to take that afternoon break and go to the pool. The YC / BC has the largest and nicest pool on property. Your children will really enjoy it. My decision would be either YC or BC. Enjoy!
:sunny:

Ladyhawke10 said:
Stormalong Bay is actually three separate pools side by side that are uniquely shaped like meandering lakes. The first pool has the huge pirate ship slide and a swirling current area (this is my favorite pool). The second pool area has some very deep parts and lots of milder currents pushing you along (but its hard to swim there for younger kids). Two hottubs are right next to this pool. Then the third pool has a sand bottom and central sand area for kids to play in, and another hottub next to it.

There is also a pool bar area called Hurricane Hannah's and a big lighthouse deck structure. On the otherside of a walkway which goes between the Yacht and Beach club and the lake, there if a fourth pool area (a small one) with a small pirate slide for children maybe seven or eight or younger. This area has the stairs to climb to get to the top of the big slide that goes into the main pool area.

A couple of quick corrections (though still a great description) there are a total of three hot tubs at SAB, one between the quiet pool (one designed for smaller kids) and the lazy river, then two more behind the main pool area where it is deeper (max of 5ft in depth). Should also be noted that all three pools are sand bottomed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter