Wyndham Star Island?? Worth it for $599/week 1 BR Deluxe?

WDWOswald

DIS Veteran
Disney World has all but priced us out as a family of three, but I'm trying to find a way to make it affordable this July. One option I've come across is Wyndham Star Island. We could get a whole week in a 1 bedroom unit for a grand total of $599. That is DIRT cheap. I've looked at the accommodations and they seem fine- but has anyone stayed here and thought "never again!?"

We are going to stay for a week and maybe do two park days (July 1-8th). Maybe even just one park day. We used to be the family that did six park days on a seven night trip. The prices have gotten so out of hand for everything that we can't do it. So the resort we stay at is going to be the main part of our vacation.

Other options include the Sheraton Vistana Resort (At $1050 for a week in a 2 bedroom) or Marriott Sabal Palms ($1600 for a week).

Last edited:
Star Island is a fine option, and has what I consider a good reputation, but I've not stayed there yet.

Which 1BR? There are two versions, one larger with a full kitchen, and one smaller with a partial kitchen. The small one is *very* small--I would probably not try more than two in that one. It might even be worth looking for a 2BR. It won't cost much more, and it's much more functional in that you'll have some common space people can hang out in without disturbing anyone taking a nap.

Star Island is a fine option, and has what I consider a good reputation, but I've not stayed there yet.

Which 1BR? There are two versions,

Which 1BR? There are two versions, one larger with a full kitchen, and one smaller with a partial kitchen. The small one is *very* small--I would probably not try more than two in that one. It might even be worth looking for a 2BR. It won't cost much more, and it's much more functional in that you'll have some common space people can hang out in without disturbing anyone taking a nap
It's the 1 bedroom deluxe, not the smaller unit. And actually I just found our week for $599 for that unit. I mean, that's really inexpensive. However, it needs to be clean and comfortable. I don't want to stay somewhere for a week that feels run down or generally unpleasant.

If I'm being honest it was not my favorite place. I don't think we would choose to stay there again.

I hear you. Would the Sheraton Vistana Resort be a better choice? We would love to stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek but it's sold out (that's our usual off-site go to place).

My sense is that Star Island is one of the many "it's fine" timeshares in Orlando. It's not going to be a Marriott or a Sheraton--in quality or in price. But it's also not going to be a big problem. If you go looking for things wrong with it, you will find them. If you are not in that frame of mind, though, it will be fine.

Only you know which side of that line you will fall on. If you don't mind spending a little more, Vistana has a better location and will be nicer.

I hear you. Would the Sheraton Vistana Resort be a better choice? We would love to stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek but it's sold out (that's our usual off-site go to place).
We only stayed there one night. We arrived very late at night and left fairly early in the morning so we did not use any of the resort amenities so I can't comment on that.

ETA:Our favorite off site properties were Marriott Harbour lake ( most often) and Bonnet Creek. We absolutely enjoyed them and would recommend them to friends. We have little experience at other area resorts ( we did spend a week at Star Island in 2018 so I felt comfortable commenting on that one). We bought DVC 8 years ago so we very rarely stay off property now.

Last edited:

Our stay was 3 nights and we left on night of 2nd. I’m sure some have good experiences, we did not. Neighbors very noisy and the smell of weed was so bad we left. It was coming from room beside us and it was coming in vents, under door. We couldn’t stand it. Didn’t utilize any amenities so can’t comment. The room itself was ok. We won’t go back though.

I will say that the location of both Vistana and the Marriott are much better in terms of access to the Disney parks - basically up and over I-4 and you're there. Star Island is down 192, which is far more congested and a longer commute to the parks. DH and I drove around there a couple of years ago and weren't impressed. Vistana or Marriott would be my choice. (We haven't stayed at either of the Vistana resorts nor at Sabal Palms but have stayed several times at the two other Marriott Palms resorts in the same complex.)

We have stayed at least 12 times over the years. Overall, we have always enjoyed the place but I will say the last few times we went we noticed the crowd seemed to be changing. Louder more rambunctious people is probably the nicest way to say it. When we checked out after our last visit 2021 we both looked at each other and said it's time to find a new resort. Since then we have been back to Orlando 2x and have stayed at WBC both times and I just booked again for September. We have also stayed at Cypress Pointe many times and have never been disappointed or felt like it was a less than respectful crowd. Check out Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa. We've stayed there a few times too and really liked it.

Also check out some of the Springhill Suites and Residence Inns. We have found some good rates in the past and they have lots of space as well as some kitchen setup. Good luck!

I have not stayed at Star Island. I have stayed at the Vistana, and am leaning towards staying there again this year. $1050 for Vistana is still quite reasonable, although $600 for Star Island is a steal. I guess it comes down to how much does $450 mean to you? $450 impacts differently with different people, and I don’t know if that’s a lot or a little in your budget. In this case, it’s the difference between a solid resort that you can be confident will be good (not WBC level, but still good) and a clean place to sleep that might be a bit “meh” but will be adequate and give you several hundred extra to spend in the parks.

I am here now. We got a 2 bedroom/lock off/both sides.
I will never stay here again. The place echos horribly and the people upstairs sound like they are doing construction! When they walk it sounds like a heard of elephants.
We aren't sleeping well, and when we want to just hang out and relax in our place all we hear is crash, bang, boom! It is HORRIBLE.

Do not stay here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter