WWYD? Hotel Over booked

I get the decision on who should be bounced. My issue is that if CSR had 200 rooms, they should only accept 200 reservations. If they make the customer-unfriendly decision to overbook, and now there are 201 reservations for 200 rooms, they should immediately notify whoever is going to get walked so they can set up alternate arrangements then. Using your example above, what if you and I were family and were meeting at CSR to vacation together, to include sharing a rental car? Now half of our group is at another location. That stinks, all because the hotel can't plan. Perhaps the chains should ask third-parties to include some kind of disclaimer when you book through them. Perhaps "Please understand that when booking through Expedia, HotelXYZ has determined you are their lowest priority customer. As such, for profit purposes, you may be asked to leave the hotel immediately upon arrival. We'll let you know when you get there."

I originally quoted someone who was upset a 3rd party guest would normally be the one chosen to be bounced. I am not at all trying to justify any means used or not used to notify guests.

Former front office manager (in the mid/late 1990s). We were pressured by the Powers-That-Be to fill without being oversold, which would result in a walk. It was a fine line, but very high pressure. I'm sure it's similar with the airlines.

In choosing who to walk (i.e. send to another hotel), we would go with "who would be less likely to be peeved?" Leisure-rate guests (rack rate transient) single room guests were first. Individuals with a frequent-use corporate code (those companies we put up their guests with regularly) would be close to last, as would members of any groups we had in-house for our meetings.

We would also hold to the 6:00 p.m. arrival requirement for rooms that were not guaranteed for late arrival with a credit card. As soon as it was 6:01 on full nights, those rooms would be made available for the rooms guaranteed -- too bad, so sad -- shoulda guaranteed the room. We would also call the guest to let them know they should guarantee the room with a credit card.

If necessary, we would transport the guest to the new hotel (we ALWAYS had another hotel room for them) and pay for one night's room and tax.

When one of the guests being walked would arrive, we'd stay that we had good news and bad news -- good news is that we had a hotel room for them, bad news is that it wasn't at our property.

My first job out of college was working in the front office of a large hotel in a major city. I remember doing the calculation to estimate our occupancy rate for the evening. We would use the calculation to determine if we could accept walk-ins and/or not immediately cancel non-guaranteed rooms at 6pm. As a PP said, the trick was to fill as many rooms without having to walk someone to another hotel.

There was always an estimate of x% who would be no-shows, and that percentage changed based on many factors (e.g. day of the week, time of the year, if there was a large convention in town, the weather, etc.) There were many times when based on the calculation, it might look like we would oversell by 10+ rooms. However, at the end of the night, we would have 5 vacant rooms and didn’t have to walk anyone. It really came down to whether or not our estimated percentage of no-shows held.

I don't understand why the airline and hotel industries think this is acceptable behavior.

I don't care that people cancel at the last minute. If I make a reservation I should expect to have a room reserved. That's what the word means!

Rates and fares are calculated with the oversold/no show percentage factored in. In other words, if they didn't oversell and sold to the exact number, and then had empty seats or rooms because of no shows, operating costs would be higher which means fares and rates would be higher for consumers. Those no shows that hotels and airlines bank on when overselling are what is helping to offset the cost passed through to customers.

OK, did anyone else find it weird that the OP didn't even have to pay one night's reservation to "guarantee" his room?

OK, did anyone else find it weird that the OP didn't even have to pay one night's reservation to "guarantee" his room?
No not weird at all. When we leisure travel we almost never book rooms that are pre-paid. There's only been a few mom and pop style places we've stayed at that require pre-payment. Otherwise your large hotel brands often have a room rate that includes pre-payment for a reduced room rate often but have many other rates that don't require pre-payment and you're often charged when you check out.

No not weird at all. When we leisure travel we almost never book rooms that are pre-paid. There's only been a few mom and pop style places we've stayed at that require pre-payment. Otherwise your large hotel brands often have a room rate that includes pre-payment for a reduced room rate often but have many other rates that don't require pre-payment and you're often charged when you check out.

Really? I thought, at a minimum, you had to pay one-night's rate when booked and the rest was due upon check-out.

I agree with your example except for the loyalty part.

You'd get laughed at here on the Boards if you booked at rack rate. People often talk about booking with Expedia, travel agencies, etc. People always advocate for getting the better deal. Those who are 'loyal' in a sense that they often go to Disney and stay onsite at least here seem to be the very savvy bookers. I'd say they have a higher percentage of going to 3rd party. Your once in a lifetime guest might be more likely to book directly through Disney, rack rate or discounted rate, and calls it good.

I'm pretty sure they mean "loyalty" as it relates to a company's loyalty program. Not in terms of always going to the same place and booking through whatever service is cheapest.

No.

Really? I thought, at a minimum, you had to pay one-night's rate when booked and the rest was due upon check-out.
No, not at all.

A credit card/debit card is usually required to reserve the room but you aren't charged for your stay.

It does depend on hotel brand and location but it's a norm for us to not opt for pre-payment.

To give a quick example here's some hotels from my area:

Hilton-branded example:
upload_2019-4-2_17-8-13.png

Marriott-branded example:
upload_2019-4-2_17-9-6.png

Notice if you opt to pay when you get there you'll pay a higher rate. If you opt for pre-payment you'll get a lower rate

IHG-branded example:
upload_2019-4-2_17-14-39.png
Again notice if you opt to pay when you get there you'll pay a higher rate. If you opt for pre-payment you'll get a lower rate

I'm pretty sure they mean "loyalty" as it relates to a company's loyalty program. Not in terms of always going to the same place and booking through whatever service is cheapest.
Other posters were talking about loyalty programs.

The person I quoted was talking about booking directly with Disney as opposed to booking the same Disney resort with a 3rd party company. Disney doesn't have a loyalty program for resort stays at WDW.

I fully understand what the other posters were talking about regarding a loyalty program with hotels but I was speaking directly towards the poster advising Disney would know they have your loyalty because you booked directly with them as opposed to booking with a 3rd party company.

In terms of the subject at hand it was a minor side discussion. The more salient point we had both agreed on was who would be more likely to be pushed out (the person who booked with the 3rd party).

I don't understand why the airline and hotel industries think this is acceptable behavior.

I don't care that people cancel at the last minute. If I make a reservation I should expect to have a room reserved. That's what the word means!

Because that is the only was we can maximize revenue. Flip side is true. I can’t believe all the folks that cxl last second or no show and then fight the fees and results in lost money.

We HaVE to overbook.

OP here.

I decided to call yesterday and speak with the manager to make sure that I would have accomodations as well discuss the issue.

Well I am here and was able to get a way reduced rate for their error. So I am "complete" again, lol.

Thanks for the replies.

Rates and fares are calculated with the oversold/no show percentage factored in. In other words, if they didn't oversell and sold to the exact number, and then had empty seats or rooms because of no shows, operating costs would be higher which means fares and rates would be higher for consumers. Those no shows that hotels and airlines bank on when overselling are what is helping to offset the cost passed through to customers.

And then when everybody DOES show up, the customer is SOL. I'd rather pay more.

The old Seinfeld classic: “They know how to take the reservation, they just don’t know how to keep the reservation!” :rotfl:

If I booked my Coronado Springs resort room with Priceline and you booked your CSR room with Disney, and the resort was overbooked. One of us is getting moved to a different resort hotel, who do you think should be moved?

Hotels shouldn't overbook. It's deceptive business practices. In my mind, if you tell me if I pay for a room you'll reserve it for me and then over reserve rooms, that's really a bait and switch. I am going on a mid week get away in 7 days (not that I'm counting down or anything), and I made my reservations MONTHS ago. If I were to get there and be bumped I would be extremely upset. I spent days online picking out the perfect hotel for our little getaway. I don't want to be bumped to a comparable one. I want what I specifically chose and reserved.

100%.

I get the decision on who should be bounced. My issue is that if CSR had 200 rooms, they should only accept 200 reservations.

Yep.

Using your example above, what if you and I were family and were meeting at CSR to vacation together, to include sharing a rental car? Now half of our group is at another location.

Exactly. Management doesn't know WHY you chose the hotel you chose. How can they offer a suitable replacement in cases such as these?

Perhaps "Please understand that when booking through Expedia, HotelXYZ has determined you are their lowest priority customer. As such, for profit purposes, you may be asked to leave the hotel immediately upon arrival. We'll let you know when you get there."

:thanks:

Overbooking does seem strange to those of us that don't work in the hospitality industry, but it's standard practice for them. This is also done in the medical field. I was once at some type of doctors appointment (don't remember what) and they were running really behind. A staff member told me that they always schedule a few more appointments than can realistically be seen because there's always a percentage of people that no show. But that day everyone was showing up like they're supposed to. I'm not saying all doctor's office do this, but apparently some do.

I get the decision on who should be bounced. My issue is that if CSR had 200 rooms, they should only accept 200 reservations. If they make the customer-unfriendly decision to overbook, and now there are 201 reservations for 200 rooms, they should immediately notify whoever is going to get walked so they can set up alternate arrangements then. Using your example above, what if you and I were family and were meeting at CSR to vacation together, to include sharing a rental car? Now half of our group is at another location. That stinks, all because the hotel can't plan.

Doesn't everyone have to pre-pay for Disney hotel rooms a certain number of days in advance? So therfore if I no show for a reservation Disney makes their money anyway. Makes me wonder if Disney doesn't overbook (or at least not to the same extent) as other hotels. Anyone know?

Lets make this a Disney hotel. If I booked my Coronado Springs resort room with Priceline and you booked your CSR room with Disney, and the resort was overbooked. One of us is getting moved to a different resort hotel, who do you think should be moved? Me or you? My room was booked through the 3rd party and I got a better price than you did. I think it is really the same thing. WDW makes more on your room, and knows you have a level of loyalty that I may not have. Frankly, if I was the manager at CSR I would bounce me in a heartbeat if I had to make the choice who got moved.

The thing is, if someone is getting moved from one WDW resort to another, it's been my impression that WDW will move you to a resort that's at least comparable, if not an upgrade, from where your original booking is. I don't think, for example, that if CSR is overbooked that they'd walk a guest to one of the All Stars, no matter who they booked with. WDW has many resorts on the property, so they have a wide variety of choices available. The OP's situation is quite different.

Doesn't everyone have to pre-pay for Disney hotel rooms a certain number of days in advance? So therfore if I no show for a reservation Disney makes their money anyway. Makes me wonder if Disney doesn't overbook (or at least not to the same extent) as other hotels. Anyone know?
No. If you book a room only reservation you only pay one night deposit. The balance is due at check in. You can cancel up until 5 days before for a full refund. If you book a package the balance is due 30 days beforehand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter