WWYD - help me plan or tweek!

bas71873

DIS Veteran
Mother/daughter(19) trip planned for December 12 - 17

Staying at POFQ

We have been to WDW many times and we've done the character meets, the character meals, all the rides, etc, but we have never been at the holidays.

Main goals of the trip are MVMCP (tickets purchased for 12/15) and Candlelight Processional (planning for 12/14).

We have 3 day park tickets, NO hoppers and no dining reservations other than CP when those are released. I'm not purchasing Genie+ either. We will just ride what we can, if we want to. This is really a take in the atmosphere kind of trip. Tour the resorts. Hang out with DD's bestie who will be working in the college program (her schedule permitting of course). Just kind of a whatever trip, go with the flow as much as we can.

My dilemma is whether or not to even do an AK day. Are the Christmas decorations/atmosphere worth doing on the day of the MVMCP before we head over to MK at 4:00? Or would you do MK the day of the party and just be at MK all day. Will JUST going to MK on the day of the party be enough to take it all in? We would stay the whole time.

Right now, here is what my plan looks like and the park reservations I have made .

12/12 - arrive MCO around 1:00, check in POFQ, head to Disney Springs

12/13 - HS day

12/14 - Epcot day and CP

12/15 - MK and MVMCP (or would you do AK and then over to MVMCP at 4:00?)

12/16 - sleep in, do whatever day. Back to Disney Springs, some resort tours, maybe Uber to the outlets for a little shopping

12/17 - fly out at 8:00AM

Any thoughts or things I'm not thinking of since all the changes? Thanks!

For 12/15 I would be at MK all day. In the past you could get your wristbands for the party at certain locations around 4 pm and they would start to sell merchandise so it is ok to be already in there. I would add a park day and on 12/16 do more Epcot. They have the storytellers and for us with 2 days we do not get to see everything in FW and WS along with trying to get to as many of them as we can.

I wouldn't go into MK at all until after 4:00. The party atmosphere is WDW-on-steroids, particularly when planning to stay for the entire party. It can be exhausting when you've already had a day of MK. And you really don't want to discover you're too tired to enjoy the whole party.

I'd actually suggest a relaxing day. If that's AK for you, do that. Otherwise, maybe a resort gingerbread decorations tour--BC, CR, GF and WL if there's a gingerbread animal in the lobby. The Christmas village electric train layout at YC is lovely, too, with mini-Disney characters as well as villagers.

Once you get into MK 4:00ish, make a beeline for the outskirts of Fantasyland. CMs will be checking for party wristbands and encouraging those without to leave. By around 5:00-6:00, they'll start leading groups of non-partiers to the gate. This can be your time to hit the rides.

It may not be as open season as in the past what with covid-revenge crowds, but we've often walked onto HM, POTC and nearly onto 7DMT up until actual party time of 7:00. At around 6:40-45, you want to head for The Emporium if interested in buying party-exclusive souvies. Those go fast, and CMs guard the display, not letting guests near it until precisely 7:00. Be in the immediate area if you intend to buy shirts, pins, etc. and want to be assured of your choice.

It's a wonderful experience. Enjoy!

I'm a don't skip any parks kind of gal and I sometimes go 4 times a year so certainly could. AK has the puppets during the holiday season. While it's not as dressed up as the rest of the parks, it is still pretty and they do have a different awakening at the Tree. Like others suggested, I'd just do MK for the party and do the resort tours that morning. I certainly wouldn't do DS two days, but then I'm not a fan. On the day you have as a rest day I would sleep in then go to AK.

Thanks all. After discussing with DD, we've tweaked our plans:

M - arrival, Disney Springs
T - AK
W - Epcot
Th - sleep in, MVMCP
F - HS

I MAY end up adding the hoppers so we can hop on Tuesday and Friday afternoons if we want extra time at MK & Epcot. If we do that, I won't do it until we get there and see how we feel about it all on Tuesday. We are open to close kind of people, so we may need it. We shall see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter