WWYD-Dorm Damage Charges

OP here. The point isn't the amount of the charge, its just that every single person on the floor (I would guess about 40 students) are being charged a fine for these issues. While its not the college's job to patrol the hallways, each floor has an RA, who I assume is the one reporting most of these issues. The RA didn't notice one student with blue hair? Or the 2 33 gallon bags of trash didn't have ONE piece of identifying information?

the charge was $16.72, which obviously is not a big deal.

They should be able to figure out who used the blue hair dye...

Might be harder than you think. I know quite a number of young ladies who have had blue hair on and off. In a dorm situation, there definitely could be more then a few. And if there's only one, OP's DD ought to be able to identify the culprit for the University and solve at least that aspect of the charge.

OP here. The point isn't the amount of the charge, its just that every single person on the floor (I would guess about 40 students) are being charged a fine for these issues. While its not the college's job to patrol the hallways, each floor has an RA, who I assume is the one reporting most of these issues. The RA didn't notice one student with blue hair? Or the 2 33 gallon bags of trash didn't have ONE piece of identifying information?

But if your dd signed a contract that said all students were responsible for the cleanliness of all the common areas at the end of the year then finding the blue haired culprit wouldn't matter. Also, are you suggesting that the RA rifle through those garbage bags to find some incriminating evidence? I think that is a little too Sherlock Holmes for a situation like this.
Next semester I would have your dd make sure she reads any contract/rules/regulations regarding living in the dorm. That way at the end of the year she'll know what to expect if any mess is left by any of the students. She can choose to clean it all up herself, or pay the $17.

I would have your daughter take care of the issue.

I have to say, your attitude about janitors is probably shared by many. And probably why you can't go to Disney World, the mall, any ball game, and have nice bathrooms. Having a janitor or cleaning staff on hand is no excuse for making a mess. I'm glad the college is trying to teach young adults they can't act that way and not be accountable.

All the college is teaching those young adults is that you can make a mess and have others pay for it.

That said, if it's in he contract, time to pay it and move on.
They should be able to figure out who used the blue hair dye...
One would think! :flower1:

$16.72? Maybe the students all say it's a small fee to have someone else clean up. Simple cost benefit analysis.

I'm with you. I don't think the charges are fair. I would just pay them, though, so as not to create a hassle.

For $16.72, I'd put this entirely in my daugthers court. She got the email, she can choose how to handle it. If she wants to fight, and needs me to provide a letter stating dates she's at home, I'd be happy to provide any evidence supporting her claims -- but the decision of fight vs pay should be up to her, IMHO

For $16.72 it most certainly about the amount. My time is worth money and while this might have annoyed me, a check would already be in the mail.

As for the blue hair dye, I wouldn't be so sure you'd be able to easily know who it was. Lots of girls and guys dye part or all the their hair at one time or another. It could have been multiple people.

My DS texted me a few weeks before the end of the semester in a panic. His RA told them they were responsible for their dorm being a mess and if it wasn't clean they were going to be charged $75. I told him he better start cleaning!
The students in his dorm each had an appointment with the RA after classes were over but before they left and the RA would point out things they forgot to do. Wipe out the wastebasket etc.

Granted I just recently graduated from college, I really don't see why this is such a big issue. Most colleges that I know, mine included, have statements in their housing contracts like others have said. Part of being a responsible adult is knowing what is in your contract and how it works. Does it suck? Sure. But is this the real world? Yes. I get that it wasn't her mess and that is should be up to the person responsible to pay, but how do you honestly expect all of that stuff to be tracked back to a single person? They are common areas for a reason. And I know how crazy move out time is in a dorm, the RA cannot be blamed for this. They have enough to do to be worried about tracking down who left some dust in a hallway.

Also, whoever made the comment about therapy cats on the last page, yes they are a real thing. My dog is technically an emotional support dog and has done more for my depression and anxiety than any medication or anything else I have tried.

All the college is teaching those young adults is that you can make a mess and have others pay for it.

If they could make a mess and have others pay for it, they would not have gotten a bill ;)
yes, the cost may be shared among more people than contributed, but that's part of the responsibility of communal living. I faced similar issues when I shared an apartment with 5 girls, lol.

I can sympathize OP, but would not bother disputing such a small amount. I agree it is unfair, but is standard practice for many/most colleges, and from their perspective, unless someone owns up and takes the blame, they really have no choice but to handle it this way for common areas.

You would think signing a contract and perhaps peer pressure would make all the residents more aware of being responsible and respectful of their fellow residents. Unfortunately, some college students are immature, some are slobs, and just like everywhere else, there are times when inconsiderate people ruin it for everyone.

Last edited:
Hello all, here is a situation that has me pretty upset. My daughter received an email from her college (she is now home for the summer) charging her student account due to damages to the common areas of the dorm (bathroom, hallway). All students in the dorm are being assessed these charges since they don't know which student(s) is responsible. Below are some of the charges:

1. someone swept dirt and trash into hallway
2. Blue hair dye in sink
3. Toilet paper under sink
4. Toilet paper all over floor
5. 2 33 gallon bags of trash removed (doesn't say from where)
6. Toilet clogged

I have a few issues with these charges. First of all I am certain my daughter was not responsible for any of these damages. Another issue, there is a janitor in the building, and yet we are getting charged for that janitor to sweep? (I'm not trying to degrade their job, but really). Getting charged for a clogged toilet? And lastly, couldn't you just find the student with blue hair and asses them the fine?

The email goes on to state that they only way an appeal will be heard is if the student (daughter) was not present, if she reported the damage or if she tells on the person who did the damage. It further states "students charged with damaging property may be subject to arrest with local law enforcement agencies"

What would you do? Would YOU personally write a letter (Many of the dates in question my daughter was home)?

EDITTED TO ADD: Any NH Lawyers out there that can tell me the legality of the college assessing these fines?

Truth is unless they have it on camera or a person comes forward the college has but 1 choice and that is to make everyone pay (yes they can also choose not to and absorb all the costs but I wouldn't expect them to do that). It's sorta a life lesson but it does suck. I know you said you are certain your daughter wasn't responsible for any of the damages but I'm betting a lot of other parents say the same things. Their child may not be responsible for any damages but then again they could be and the parent just didn't believe it was possible. Not implying your daughter was responsible for any of the charges just providing the flipside of the situation.

I am with the others here. It's your daughter's thing not yours. I think you're looking for all reasons you can to absolve your daughter of the charges (which yes I understand you don't find them worthy charges). Most I would do is suggest your daughter looking into the housing contract and leave the rest up to her. I will say at my college that I went to you were unable to pick classes for the next semester if you had unpaid fines on your account and if the fines were there prior to enrollment for next semester you had to pay that before you could enroll. Finally if you had fines unpaid on your account you would be unable to pick up your diploma.

As far as legality it's not unheard of to do this. I myself have lived in an apartment complex in the college town that was like 95% college students living in the complex that had a same sort of set up. You had a list of things that needed to be cleaned prior to moving out (which we had a list too when we lived in the dorms) and if something was missed then all occupants were charged the monetary amount next to the item on the list that they missed. It was split by however many occupants in the apartment.

Just wondering is the college your daughter attends a smaller one or a more exclusive or a private one?

I got charged for a bunch of things my junior year of college. The "damages" were all so small you would have had to use a magnifying glass. They were clearly just trying to get money out of us. I'm sure they figure most people will just pay and not bother to dispute. I contacted the college and outlined why the damages were not my fault (honestly, they'd probably been there for years and they charged for the same damage every year). They reduced most of the fines, although there was I think one damage I still had to pay for. At that point there was really nothing else I could do.

I think if you REALLY wanted to make a stink, you can ask for an itemized bill. Over $650 ($16.72 * 40 girls) seems steep for what was listed. If everything took an hour, that's still $110+/hour.

Still seems petty for that amount though.

I think the dorm handled it poorly by listing the "damages", none of which are actual damage, just stuff to clean.

They should have just said $16.72 each for general cleaning/maintenance and I bet nobody would have blinked.

I would just pay it. It is such a small amount for damage over an entire year or semester. I am sure these rules are written into the housing contract you or she signed.

At the apartment my daughter is renting, we were told that a lot of people gladly give up their 200 deposit upon move out so they don't need to deep clean and do carpets etc.

Our pet peeve when the kids were in college. These charges happened EVERY year at the end of the year--almost a guaranteed surcharge while they were in the dorms. The items listed by the school were typically normal wear and tear items, e.g., worn spot on sofa, spots on carpeting. . .really irked me to pay these extra "fees". We did voice our opinion that charging for those type of items was the cost of doing business and should not be passed on to the dorm residents. As you might imagine our complaints fell on deaf ears.

I can certainly appreciate wanting to recoup fees for malicious destruction of property, but again, I disagree with the "punish the group" mentality. The nonsense about teaching them to be adults doesn't fly with me. How often have we, as adults, been punished for the behavior of our neighbor? If the school isn't able to identify the perpetrator then sorry, but perhaps you need to better monitor your dorms.

Once our daughter moved into a campus apartment and our son into his fraternity suddenly they became "fee free". Our daughter and her apartment mates were neat and tidy and while the fraternity was not so neat and tidy--it did pass inspection at the end of the year.

The nonsense about teaching them to be adults doesn't fly with me. How often have we, as adults, been punished for the behavior of our neighbor?

Seems to me the Dis is full of stories of people incurring costs, or inconvenience, due to the actions of others over which they have no control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter