Wow, thanks Disney for messing up people's plans

If FLE crowds end up being a non-event, people will come back here and complain that they did all this rearranging and replanning, and it turned out that they could have just kept all of their plans in the first place. That will be Disney's fault for causing an uproar with all the touring plans.

If FLE causes huge crowds, then the people who didn't change their plans -- based on people here telling them "it's not going to be a big deal" -- will complain that they had horrible crowds. That will be Disney's fault for putting AP previews in the middle of a slow time and mucking up the rest of the park with crowds.

If FLE opens to massive crowds, Disney will be criticized for not having enough capacity or for overloading the park or for not giving guests enough to do in the new expansion.

If FLE opens to regular / normal crowds, Disney will be mocked for spending tons of money on an area that didn't generate even a fraction of the crowds that bombarded WWoHP when it opened.

Sorry Disney ... no way to win on this one!

:earsboy:

I wouldn't put much stock in TP. They are known for not being that accurate.

No, that's not true. They are usually very accurate. But, in this case I think they overestimated the impact of FLE previews.

Will someone please explain something to me? Did the crowd levels increase because of the extended hours at MK on Nov 14? Or is Fantastyland opening?

We have also planned our trip around the crowd levels, etc. Nov 14th is our first day there and was planning to go to MK. Any heads up would be helpful.

Hi! No, FLE is not opening on November 14th. (The day we were originally going to be at MK too.) What has changed on the 14th is that MK is now hosting opportunities for APH to visit the new FLE and they have also extended the hours until 1am that day. Because of this TP is anticipating much higher than normal crowds that day.

But, if you can delay your MK visit by only one day the anticipated crowds for Nov 15th is only 1.1. That's what we've done. Our ADP was at a resort so we were not tied to MK on Nov 14th so we just moved it to the 15th. Sorry to miss the Main Street Electrical Parade but willing to miss that in exchange for hopefully smaller crowds in general.

We have AP's but are traveling with grandparents who do not have park hopper options. We've just tweaked our plans a bit and will have a great time wherever we are!

Yep, we'll be there... at MK on the 14th!!!! Good thing we have ADR for Crystal Palace set months ago! As much as I'd like to do rope drop my kids won't have it, especially now that it's opening at 8AM! Not gonna let it down! So excited to be there after five L-O-N-G years! :banana: I think I may alter my plans to be at another park earlier then hop to MK for dinner and stay late. But we'll see. I'll report back my findings!

Hi! No, FLE is not opening on November 14th. (The day we were originally going to be at MK too.) What has changed on the 14th is that MK is now hosting opportunities for APH to visit the new FLE and they have also extended the hours until 1am that day. Because of this TP is anticipating much higher than normal crowds that day.

But, if you can delay your MK visit by only one day the anticipated crowds for Nov 15th is only 1.1. That's what we've done. Our ADP was at a resort so we were not tied to MK on Nov 14th so we just moved it to the 15th. Sorry to miss the Main Street Electrical Parade but willing to miss that in exchange for hopefully smaller crowds in general.

We have AP's but are traveling with grandparents who do not have park hopper options. We've just tweaked our plans a bit and will have a great time wherever we are!

I would love to do that, but we have CRT dinner ADRs on the 14th. Anyone have one on the 15th they want to trade?? ;)

Although I am not mad at Disney, I am sad about these changes. This is our first trip and I have spent countless hours planning it for months and months. I was glad when I read that FLE was opening on the 19th (we're there 9th-16th) because I thought that meant we'd get a more "normal" experience. Having the parks jam packed with people trying to see something new is only going to increase my anxiety. I want to have fun with my kids, not stress over where and when we should be. I understand FLE is exciting to people who have been multiple times, but it's just more noise for first-timers. The whole experience is brand new for us, and it's disappointing to think it might be less than exceptional due to this and that we didn't know about it until two weeks before we were due to leave.

The poop has really hit the propeller on this thread. :stir:

I guess that's what I get for criticizing Disney on on a Disney forum. popcorn::popcorn::

I still love WDW, if I didn't I wouldn't be here.

The whole experience is brand new for us, and it's disappointing to think it might be less than exceptional due to this and that we didn't know about it until two weeks before we were due to leave.

I'm not going to lie, I would be a little upset too. However when you pull up park hours on Disney's own web site, it says in bolded print "Operating hours subject to change". On top, before you can see the park hours.

Park hours are never set in stone, Disney is always tweaking them. Please don't let this ruin your vacation. Get upset, be a little bummed, and move on.

I used to head to WDW in August. Usually towards the end of the month since the crowds were lighter. Well, Disney started offering free dining in late August. So, when I booked my DVC stay a few years ago, I moved my stay up about 10 days...based on historical free dining dates. Imagine my surprise, when in early spring (March/April) Disney announced free dining dates for the summer...they started the day I checked into BWV!!! I was at the Dolphin for two nights prior to that!! I have to tell you....the parks were so nice those first two days. But that first day of free dining??? OMG!!! It was awful. I have never seen so many people in the parks..other than Thanksgiving Day and the next 3 days!!!
All those people who had waited to book their summer trips, before classes resumed, jumped and booked!!! Thank God I had already made all our ADRs.
But I'll tell you...if I go in the summer now??? I book the end of July into early Aug. But, with my dd now in college, going during summer vacations isn't such a big need anymore.

You want to talk about being impacted by Disney changing things??? Believe me...an AP preview weekend of FLE isn't going to come remotely close to my experience. Even with all those addtl people in the parks, we still managed to have a good time. And so will those who go at this FLE preview time.

I booked my Dec trip back in January. My friend and I arrive on Dec 6!! Yep, official FLE opening day!!! Sure it's going to impact us. But that's just the way it is. We know we'll have lots of company in MK that day.

I guess that's what I get for criticizing Disney on on a Disney forum. popcorn::popcorn::

Well, if you will insist on tossing it at the ceiling fan... ;)

We are just 7 days from our WDW trip! :cool1: We are attending the AP preview! :cool1: :cool1: They extended the hours while we are there (one night until 3am)! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

You can complain all you want about how busy (or not) it might be! I DON'T CARE!!! I'm going to DISNEYWORLD!!!!! :dance3:

I used to head to WDW in August. Usually towards the end of the month since the crowds were lighter. Well, Disney started offering free dining in late August. So, when I booked my DVC stay a few years ago, I moved my stay up about 10 days...based on historical free dining dates. Imagine my surprise, when in early spring (March/April) Disney announced free dining dates for the summer...they started the day I checked into BWV!!! I was at the Dolphin for two nights prior to that!! I have to tell you....the parks were so nice those first two days. But that first day of free dining??? OMG!!! It was awful. I have never seen so many people in the parks..other than Thanksgiving Day and the next 3 days!!!
All those people who had waited to book their summer trips, before classes resumed, jumped and booked!!! Thank God I had already made all our ADRs.
But I'll tell you...if I go in the summer now??? I book the end of July into early Aug. But, with my dd now in college, going during summer vacations isn't such a big need anymore.

You want to talk about being impacted by Disney changing things??? Believe me...an AP preview weekend of FLE isn't going to come remotely close to my experience. Even with all those addtl people in the parks, we still managed to have a good time. And so will those who go at this FLE preview time.

I booked my Dec trip back in January. My friend and I arrive on Dec 6!! Yep, official FLE opening day!!! Sure it's going to impact us. But that's just the way it is. We know we'll have lots of company in MK that day.

So true!!! I remember years ago we would vacation during October ----- parks were EMPTY. what did Disney do....added Food and Wine Fest. Great business decision (which is what Disney is), but not great if you want the park to yourself :rotfl:

heck even the end of May to the first part of June had lighter crowds.......Star Wars Weekends!!!

They are going to do whatever it takes to get people in the parks.

I'm sure all of next year will be much busier than in the past until FLE is no longer "new".

We are coming to WDW and we are AP holders. Finally, we can attend a Passholder event. We live in Ohio, so we go once or twice a year, not on a weekly or monthly basis.

As a person who pays full price for dining (we are DVC) the free dining is a great perk, during the offseason, to bring in more people. So for people like me, there really is no off season anymore. But, Disney is turning a profit and GOOD FOR THEM! That way the parks stay clean and well staffed!!

The opening of Fantasyland has been clearly advertised for years. Of course the soft openings are happening. Lucky for those that can be there.

For those of you that are bummed about not being able to see the FLE, it was also clearly announced that it would officially open December 6. If your trip is before then, there is no entitlement to any view of Fantasyland. It is pure luck.

Several years ago, we went to DHS in May and they were doing test runs of TSM. We were grateful and lucky to get to "test" ride. That is how I am treating this whole preview, whether AP holders or not, sometimes it is the luck of the draw.

We are coming to WDW and we are AP holders. Finally, we can attend a Passholder event. We live in Ohio, so we go once or twice a year, not on a weekly or monthly basis.

As a person who pays full price for dining (we are DVC) the free dining is a great perk, during the offseason, to bring in more people. So for people like me, there really is no off season anymore. But, Disney is turning a profit and GOOD FOR THEM! That way the parks stay clean and well staffed!!

The opening of Fantasyland has been clearly advertised for years. Of course the soft openings are happening. Lucky for those that can be there.

For those of you that are bummed about not being able to see the FLE, it was also clearly announced that it would officially open December 6. If your trip is before then, there is no entitlement to any view of Fantasyland. It is pure luck.

Several years ago, we went to DHS in May and they were doing test runs of TSM. We were grateful and lucky to get to "test" ride. That is how I am treating this whole preview, whether AP holders or not, sometimes it is the luck of the draw.

Oh, you've just reminded me! One year I'd warned my family that we wouldn't be riding Spaceship Earth, because it was being refurbished. And sure enough, when we got to Epcot, it was all behind walls.

But then, just as we were walking past the construction walls, a CM pops out and starts waving people inside! We got to ride the refurbed Spaceship Earth before it was open!

It was very exciting, and we felt very special. Of course, the best part came on our next trip, a few years later, when we realized that there was an interactive component during the backwards slide down... and that the bare wires we'd seen dangling from the ceiling were actually meant to be stars! :lmao:

I am going to be there that same week. We have always been in Aug. High heat, high humidity and high crowds, and still had a great time. I chose this time like everyone else thinking it would be lower crowds and like everyone else am a little disappointed. But my prediction is that while the middle of the day may be a little more crowded, I think night time will be fine. Most AP holders will have school or work, I can't imagine many people wanting to stay out that late during the middle of the week on a school night or work night to see something they will be able to see in a few weeks. And even if they do choose to go I think they will go just to see FLE and not much else. I am planning my MK day to be on Monday which is a party day, but I am going to return to enjoy late night Wednesday. Thanks Disney for giving me 4 more hours to enjoy my last night! I am sorry OP, try not to worry too much, go with a positive attitude and I am sure you will have a great trip! That is what I am trying to do.

Keep in mind that TP crowd predictions are based in LARGE part on park hours. Usually Disney increases park hours due to expected demand. This seems to happen around the middle of the month prior. That happened as usual and a few days were extended as well as a couple MSEPs/Fantasmics, etc. Then additional hours were added due to offering the extra AP previews. In all likelihood these were NOT added due to expected demand, only because of the logistics of having part of park open for previews and making the rest of guests leave/park close.

Now MK might see a bump on 11/6 due to election day and schools being closed, and I'm sure the extended hours will have some affect, but it will probably just pull from the other parks as people aren't rushing out to book vacations 1-2 weeks in advance due to a few extra hours on 6-7 days in November.

Relax, get there for some amazing touring time from 8-11 or enjoy the extra hours at night. If it hits 8-9 crowds at MK on any of the newly added AP preview days I will gladly eat my hat and post it on youtube. :thumbsup2

Well, if you will insist on tossing it at the ceiling fan... ;)

Apparently, I already did. Inadvertently of course. :)

Too many posts here to answer each one so just a general statement -

We will still enjoy our vacation and I hope everyone else going at the same time will also. The original post was a spur of the moment reaction to seeing the crowd prediction jump so much.

I stand by my annoyance with this sneak preview stuff. Either open it, or don't open it. There is only one post on this thread that has changed my perception a bit. It was the post about Disney having to tweak things and needing to shut it back down to make changes in the interest of running smoothly. That makes sense and is something I didn't think about before it was mentioned. The voice of reason. (Nicole aka catra121)

All of the "you just suck" posts have only served to alter my opinion of some of my fellow Disney guests. I suppose it could just be crankiness over the fact that I'll be in WDW in two weeks and they won't. :yay:

I'm relatively new here, but it seems to me that you guys are all kinda mean to each other.

It seems that way to me also. I joined over a year ago, but left after a mod accused me of being in some kind of cult or something. Honestly, I thought it was bizarre and didn't understand what she was talking about.

Thought I would give things a try again since this seems to be a very active board. I found out fast that many of the members are as uptight as the mod who originally chased me away.

I love that response -- "that's what I get for criticizing Disney on a Disney forum". Such martyrdom. :goodvibes

If you go through the forum, you'll see many many people posting negative comments about Disney. People have criticized many elements of the company, the parks, the CMs, you name it. There is certainly no issue with people criticizing Disney, but you have to do it effectively.

Your OP blames Disney for "deciding to mess up everything with their FLE passholder preview!!", as if Disney looked around and said, "Hey -- FortForever is coming this week. Let's totally screw up the crowd levels!" Your post came off as if you were taking it personally and as if Disney knew you were coming and did it on purpose. (They didn't. :))

Then you went on to blame Disney for not only wrecking YOUR plans but those of "other families who may have saved for years for this vacation and are coming a long distance". That's noble, but it's really a common ploy -- "I'm not really upset for myself, but for all those nameless people who blah blah blah." I'm thinking that those poor folks who only get to go once are going to be far more likely to roll with whatever happens than the people who can come over and over again and have a far more critical eye and much higher expectations.

Not to mention that crowd calendars are probably going to change a half-dozen times before this is all over. Crowd calendars jump during the Marathon too, but the race seldom really affects the parks. The resorts fill up and transportation can be a mess, but the parks don't really get a bump. Yet the crowd calendars say differently. They're based on a computer spitting out predictions.

And then you go on to say how Disney should let people know if advance, as if FLE has been a big secret and they suddenly sprung it on everyone. I suppose Disney could have announced AP previews a year or more ago, but then what happens when that date comes and they're not ready? What if a hurricane had hit and disrupted construction? Or if changes were made that sped up or slowed down the timeline?

Disney has had "fall / winter 2012" as the opening date for quite a long time. You count back from that and look at the times of year that are historically slow, and you can pretty easily figure that those slower times will be preview and soft open times. Maybe when you started planning your trip, forever ago, you could have asked, "Hey ... I'm looking at going to WDW in November. Anyone have any predictions on when AP previews for FLE will be?" I'll bet folks like Robo or Chartle or any number of others would have been pretty darn accurate based on past experience.

So ... y'know ... you could have easily avoided all this drama too.

:earsboy:

Then you went on to blame Disney for not only wrecking YOUR plans but those of "other families who may have saved for years for this vacation and are coming a long distance". That's noble, but it's really a common ploy -- "I'm not really upset for myself, but for all those nameless people who blah blah blah."

That statement wasn't a "ploy," it is sincere. I'm sorry that you feel people shouldn't care about others that they don't know, but I honestly do. After I realized this wasn't going to be a big deal to us, since we planned MK for Monday anyway, I thought about how much of a bummer it could be for families who were stuck with the situation.

Anyone who has ever met me would would know those were very honest sentiments. I am a very caring, empathetic person and always put others before myself. Now I'll probably be accused of being mentally unhealthy. Glad I don't take anonymous internet forums too seriously.

So ... y'know ... you could have easily avoided all this drama too.

Too late for that. Besides, it's not real drama, only forum drama. Thankfully, not many people are this rude in the face to face world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter