• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you take a 3 or 4 month old to Disney ?

Let me add an addendum to my previous post. Yes, we did travel to WDW with a 4 month old in August of 2001. But I didn't make the ressies until June of 2001. The reason I did decide to take my baby was because he was already sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old. So, by the end of June when I made the ressies, he was (and so was I) well rested. I WOULD NOT have gone if he wasn't sleeping through the night. I personally have been woken up in a WDW hotel by screaming babies in the middle of the night, REPEATEDLY by the same guests. I first off, wouldn't want to be sleep deprived in WDW, nor my family, nor wake up any other hotel guests. Anyone who considers taking a baby that young, really has to know their baby, and it wouldn't recommend it for a first time parent. I'd advise anyone who wants to take someone so little, wait until you get to know that particular child before you decide for sure whether you're going to go. My first DD was a colicky NIGHTMARE for the first 5 months of her life. If my second had been like that, I'd NEVER have gone on the trip.

I would say a qualified "yes" to taking an infant to disney.

We took our son to disney when he was 2 months old. We were there the first week in december. We did not go into a park - basically went around to all the hotels and looked at the different christmas trees/lights and gingerbread houses. he loved it. I took so many pictures of his pie-eyed face staring up at the christmas trees.

We returned for a week when he was 4.5 months old. This time we went into Epcot for a bit. He really didn't care that much... I figured he was too young to enjoy the MK and the crowds just weren't worth it. He enjoyed the parades, the live musicians and the scenery. He spent a lot of time in the carrier/stroller/backpack on those trips and seemed to be very happy and content.

We took him again at 14 months and visited MK for the first time with him. (Not our first time.) The only thing we could ride really was the Carousel. he loved it... also LOVED the parades. Took him on the PeopleMover and that was a mistake because of the darkness when you go into Space Mountain. Take a flashlight or something if you take baby on that one to break the darkness. I probably wouldn't advise the park thing even at that age, unless you have an older child who would enjoy/appreciate it.

Went again at 16 months and rode other things (Peter pan, pooh, carousel, etc.) LOVED the characters... loved it all. Went to Animal Kingdom and he loved that too. Don't know why there was such a big difference between 14 and 16 months at MK, but there was. Huge.

Our second one is due in two months, and our next trip is planned for the first week in December... so it'll be interesting to have a 2 year old *and* an infant. We're going to do it, though. I'm sure we'll go in the MK since our 2 year old will enjoy. I'll have my parents with us, so they will help with the baby care and shielding me while I nurse the little one.

I've just learned that when you have itty bitty kids, it is much more fun for them to spend like an hour doing something basic (walking around Downtown Disney, looking at characters, just playing in the pool) than trying to break your back to try to "see it all" because the bottom line is that they just won't appreciate it, and it will end up stressing *them* (and you) out. I would say never turn down an opportunity to go to Disney, just know your limits when you do go. My thought was that we'd spend time in other places (like Epcot and MGM) at first because once they get "of age" it'll be only the MK for years. :)

Anyway - good luck and most of all, have fun!!!!

We took our almost-3-month-old to WDW in February. Four months later we still say it was the best week of his life! He loved being outside (which in Seattle you can't do too much of in February), laying in the stroller flat, being carried front-facing in the Baby Bjorn (which luckily wasn't too hot), seeing all the colors and somehow, our child even loved the fireworks! He cried when Illuminations ended, looking around frantically for more fireworks and my husband the pyro just beamed with pride. :-)

We stuck hard to his schedule, and sometimes lack thereof, and I stopped to feed him whenever, whereever he needed it. Though when I could foresee it, the baby care centers were pretty good except for the "gaggles" of people who would come into certain of them with one nursing mom to chat while she fed, meanwhile distracting all the other babies in the room. My husband used my feeding times to do commando-style errands and we were all happy.

Our little guy slept through the night for his first time, our first night at WDW, and I think it was the first day ever that he got truly tired out and that's why. He's done it ever since. Of course, we've sworn to ourselves that WDW did this and will of course take all of our other kids there at 12 weeks too.

We stayed in a 1BR Villa but didn't need it. A hotel room have been fine for us. But that time worked out perfectly for us -- he still fit in the carryable infant carseat so we could travel easily with him, he was just on breast milk so no food to pack, and he slept a lot, especially on the buses and touring in his stroller, so he was very undemanding.

I think it all depends on the parent and child. We took my son at 4 months and had a great time. We had season passes so there wasn' any pressure either. We could just stroll at our own pace and enjoy ourselves. Babies can go on so many rides and they really like the colorful displays. Just know that you can't go park commando or anything;-)

It took me a while to find this, but I had posted it after our last trip:

Originally posted by BrerMom
Not really a pet peeve, but it makes me so sad: seeing poor little babies in strollers in the heat with sunburned feet. :( After our last trip, I told DH I'd changed my mind about itty-bitty babies at WDW. On "would you take a baby to WDW" threads, I used to say, "we did it and it worked fine." BUT we went in January. I had no idea what it was like during the summer since this was our first summer trip. I felt so sorry for the little ones whose parents were trying to protect them from the 90º sun by bundling them up in blankets. :(

Our youngest's first trip was when he was 8 months. We only took him because we took his older brother and sister, but he had the absolute best time. After our first summer trip, and seeing so many babies looking so hot, I recommend sticking to the winter months. I'm also talking about the "itty-bitty" babies, six months and younger. I think it would have been difficult with our 8-month-old during the hotter months, but possible with reasonable expectations.

I think it also depends on the kind of parent you are. If you are like a friend I have who is so particular about everything I would say no. IF you can adapt and make the best of situations then I would say it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if your baby is easy going and all. Have fun.

Tania

Before I give a reco to you, I feel like I need more info. Is this your first child? Do you have other kids to contend with? When are you planning your trip for (summer, winter, off-peak)? Will you drive 15 hours, or 1.5 hours or will you fly?

I would take a 3-4mo. Not in the heat of summer, though. And I consider myself a veteran of traveling with infants, so I know what to expect. In fact, I just may take an infant of this age this fall. But I think it would be important to get a villa or suite where my other children could sleep in a separate bedroom and not be awakened for middle of the night feedings. Just some stuff to consider.

My dd was 5 months and my son was 1 month on their first visits to WDW. For me it was no harder than packing them up to go to the mall or grocery store -- but infinitely more enjoyable! I do think staying on property makes it a little easier for getting back to your room for rest time in the afternoon. That is something we practice even now that the kids are 9 & 7 (it's more for us grown ups though!).

Kristen

I heard a DJ on the radio say it was as much fun as carrying a bowling ball around the parks. That put it in perspective for me!

I've taken two six month olds - both trips were in November. We had a great time! However, at 6 months, they were both sleeping through the night. I can't imagine it if they weren't. We had no problems. They both slept in the stroller- we took our own. The kind you rent at the parks aren't suitable for infants. We used the baby care stations. Took bottled water and powder for formula. We had a great time! They were both family trips so we had lots of help. The weather was great and we never had to go back to the hotel for a break! If baby was asleep, I sat on a shady bench or strolled around shopping or taking in scenery! Both babies rode lots of rides- practically everything in Fantasyland and most anything without a height restriction. I'll say- both babies were easier than when my DD was 2 1/2! lol
I would not go in the hot summer- or even spring- with a baby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter