Would you leave your 12 year old in the gift shop...

just for everyones info
I emailed Disney World & asked about bringing my boys with me into the bathroom - my boys are non-verbal austic
Disney replied that boys age 10 & over are not allowed in the women's restrooms - please use the companion bathrooms if your child is of the other sex & over 9

a 10 year should be able to go into a bathroom my themself - if not please bring someone with you to deal with it or use the companion

Worth quoting Disney's viewpoint.

Wouldn't she be almost as mortified by a 9-10 year old little girl standing outside her stall door while she was attending to her feminine needs? Anyone standing within "peeking distance" would probably make a teen girl a little uncomfortable. Should we create a special restroom just for teen girls? Again, in my perfect world everyone would be comfortable. I want my DD to be comfy but I also want to raise her to be an understanding and reasonable adult.

Uh.....no. Not even a close call. And the rest of that statement is just odd. They already have created a nice sanctuary for her.

It's called the WOMEN'S restroom.

csummerlin55 said:
Wouldn't she be almost as mortified by a 9-10 year old little girl standing outside her stall door while she was attending to her feminine needs? Anyone standing within "peeking distance" would probably make a teen girl a little uncomfortable. Should we create a special restroom just for teen girls? Again, in my perfect world everyone would be comfortable. I want my DD to be comfy but I also want to raise her to be an understanding and reasonable adult.

I think you hit it right on the head with understanding and reasonable adult. I don't let it bother me if someone wants to bring their son into the restroom. We don't know the circumstances and most mature teens and adults would understand that. And I can't tell you how many times I've seen mothers letting their little girls crawl all over the floor, which is sick all on it's own, looking under the stalls at me.

mom2rtk said:
Uh.....no. Not even a close call. And the rest of that statement is just odd. They already have created a nice sanctuary for her.

What part of that comment did you find odd? I can't imagine the thought of a little one peeking in through the cracks in the stall being extremely less embarrassing to a teen if it were a girl unless that teen is accustomed to having younger female siblings at home that do the same. As a teen I would've been embarrassed either way. I think you are trying to discredit this thought (and frankly, the entire post by saying it is "odd") in a last ditch effort to make your point when you see I may have a valid one.

I think this discussion has run its course. The OP has made a decision about the question she originally asked, and yet the topic has somehow morphed into a debate about boys in the women's bathrooms. Each person has their own opinion (clearly), and Disney has their rules. There's really nothing that can be achieved from bickering.

mom2rtk said:

It does seem through out this whole thread you are trying to carry on an argument.

Wow. This thread is a train wreck. I'm out! Have fun being rude to each other...

Unsubscribe.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

I was going to say that a 12 year old is more than able to wait for group. at that age I was taking 3 buses to get to the beaches at Lake Michigan in chicago.. AND babysitting of course.( 12, 13 year olds are the BEST babysitters.. any older, they are distracted).

oh! my sons, now ages 31 and 34, were 10 and 13 on our first trip. we stayed at CBR. they took the bus to the TTC, the monorail to the contemporary, had fun at the arcade, then manaaged to make their way back to CBR. with no problem at all.

so of course I see no problem with a a 12 year old waiting in the gift shop for a half hour by herself.

but I see this thread has taken a strange turn... :drive: lol

I wouldn't with my DD. My DD is 10 now, but I wouldn't leave her alone at 12. When my son was 12, I didn't leave him alone. I trusted him & he was mature. I worry about the adult's behavior that are roaming around.

I am sitting here shaking my head at this whole thread- we were are Disney this past summer- my daughter was 12- she and her friend (also 12) took the disney bus from our resort POR to the parks and spent half the day there on their own together, took the bus back. And people wont leave a 12 year old i n the GIFT SHOP?? Get a grip people!! My daughter babysits other peoples children until 1 or 2am sometimes for the past year- if she can babysit other kids she can certainly go to the parks on her own! She also goes to the mall with friends her own age ::::gasp:::: and they go to the bathroom without mommy holding their hands! I can't even imagine a 10 year old boy- which is Jr. High here- going into a womens room with his mommy, if any of the other kids saw that the poor kids life would be a living hell in school!
We also go to a local water park and its been years since we have went on rides or near the rides with the kids- for the past 4 years we rent a cabana and me and my friend hang out in there all day and the kids go off and do their own thing-they come back when they are hungry and want food. This year we are dropping them off there and heading to a outlet mall near there for a day of shopping while they enjoy their day at the water park.

My daughter (12) and I will be travelling to Disney in March with another adult, a 21 year old gal who love, love, loves everything Disney and has never been. DD and I are beyond thrilled to take her for the first time and can't wait to see her face when she finally sees what she's always dreamed of!

DD is a bit of a ride chicken and still won't even consider ToT or RnRC (although she actually is willing to give Everest a try for the first time this trip!). I want our friend to get to see these, and I can't decide if I should send her on her own and stay back with DD, or if, for crying out loud the kid is 12 years old, I was babysitting at her age, and of course she will be just fine hanging out until we get off and go along! I hate to miss them myself on any trip! It's just the 3 of us travelling.

Which part of me is crazy? I should add that she occasionally is home for an hour or so alone, is a very bright and responsible girl, and knows all about stranger danger. :p If she were with a friend it would be a no brainer. But alone? Opinions?

If you are unsure of leaving her alone which I would be most rides offer parent switch - two parents and child wait in line, when you get to the front one parent rides while the other stays with child, when they get back the other can ride while the first waits. Make sure you check the ride listing if they offer this thought - rides where you enter and exit at different places don't offer this.

Which part of me is crazy? I should add that she occasionally is home for an hour or so alone, is a very bright and responsible girl, and knows all about stranger danger. :p If she were with a friend it would be a no brainer. But alone? Opinions?

You're "crazy" (your term, not mine).

If you're willing to leave your daughter at home alone then inside a Disney park is no more "dangerous" or "risky". Probably the opposite.

Of course, as others have stated, you know your daughter best. Certainly having her stick in one place is the safest option.

Is there something DD wants to do that you two don't? Would be a perfect time to let her do that and then meet you afterwards. Or, give DD some $$ and give per permission to get a drink or a snack over on Sunset Blvd. A reward of sort for hanging around and doing nothing.

So, your point is that 23 year olds shouldn't go to the mall alone? Really, do you think that if a man started bothering a 12 year old girl in a WDW gift shop, that there would be no options for her? At what point can a female be alone in public? 30? Maybe the 23 year old would've been able to handle it better if she had been given more independence when she was younger, to build up her confidence. :confused3

I really don't appreicate the attack, it was my opinon, and I am allowed to think and voice my opinon, You on the other hand must feel that everyone should think like you. My brother was a deputy for over 20 years, and just hearing some of the stories that he told would make anyone sick to hear and really think twice.

I drove my DD around to her car as it was very cold, and raining out, and my car was closer and we were still talking about her wedding!!!!! I am glad that I did, that girl, maybe did not make the best choice by con't to walk into the parking lot, she probably knew what to do, but alot of times when faced with something like that people freeze and are truly frighten.

My point was it doesn't matter your age that anyone could be a target, .... even you and it is easy to say I know what to do, but you never know, how many time do you see in the news, a child, has been taken or hurt and the
1st thing that is said, why did their parent leave them alone???

For me I would not leave my 12 year old alone.

For Me nothing would be worth that for my child to have to endure,

I can't even imagine a 10 year old boy- which is Jr. High here- going into a womens room with his mommy, if any of the other kids saw that the poor kids life would be a living hell in school!
It depends very much on the circumstances. There are gents' toilets in the UK where men go to have sex so if I have any doubts about my son's safety I will make him use the disabled toilet (we don't have companion restrooms) or go to the ladies' with me.

There is also a supermarket in the UK that has a policy recommending that all children should be accompanied by an adult when using the toilet. This policy was put in place after a young boy was sexually molested in one of their toilets whilst the parent was outside. Therefore a woman alone with her son would need to take him to the ladies' toilet.

My point is that one cannot have a blanket rule on this, there are places where it is not safe for young boys to go to the restroom alone. However I personally would not consider Disney to be one of those places!

When I was 12 I was allowed to go most places alone. When I was 11 I caught someone breaking into a school and quickly rode my bike home and called the police I was just with a friend then. I have never been a parent so I do not have an argument whether I would let my child do it or not but I dont think that it is a big deal to leave a 12 year old alone.

So many people are so quick to judge the few of us that disagree. We are entitled to our own opinion! When we have cited our personal experiances with unfortunate things, some of which (like ours ) actually happened at Disney. It happens everywhere, yes. But when it happens to your child, you play the "what if" card for ever. You can't help it. If I could take back my thought that day of "it's the most magical place on earth" and "who would hurt a child at disney" trust me, I would. So yes, I worry.
I see parts of the real world most don't see. When you have to interview someone after an assault, you realize how unsafe all of us are.
The risks just don't outweigh the benefits, for me.

As for my comment about my son in the mens room, It was if I felt if he was UNSAFE. not just anytime. I don't know if I put that in the original response. And of course the family restroom would be the ideal situation for that.
SO many of the posts I see on DIsboards today are bashing, hurtful comments.
It must be nice to live in a world where you are convinced you are perfect parents. I admit I am not, do the best I can, and let others do the same.

Here is my take on all this. Anything can happen to your children/my children ANYWHERE. How many kids are molested each day at HOME by someone you/they trust? Or at daycare centers.... or any other place where your child is out of your sight for a single second? How many children are beaten or verbally abused by someone the family trusts every day? You can just never be 100% sure.

Does that mean you need to keep them in eyesight at all times? I don't know.

For me and my kids ~ I prefer to let them spread their wings whenever possible. Will nothing bad NEVER happen to them? I can't guarantee that. I do the best I can to provide them with tools to deal with situations without scaring the bejeezus out of them. I'm hoping that giving them small independences (apparently this isn't a word ~ huh I use it often) now will allow them to handle things better in life when they are set free completely on their own.

Is it the right or wrong thing to do? Don't know can't say. I make the best decisions for my family that I can with the information I have at the time. I encourage you all to do the same. There are no perfect parents ~ unfortunately there certainly are some bad ones. Pretty much if you do what you BELIEVE is in the best interest of YOUR children... who cares what a bunch of anonymous people on a message board think?

For those that feel that they need to take an older child in the restroom with them, that is their prerogative - if their child will comply - but to me that is why there are companion restrooms. That way others will not have to feel uncomfortable with an older child in an *opposite sex* restroom, plus the child, or parent, would not have to be subjected to stares or comments.

There is no way either of my two sons would have agreed to go in a woman's restroom, but when alone, I have stayed outside a companion restroom and waited on them (usually they are one person/party).

As for letting a 12 year old alone at times, my children were mature and trustworthy enough to be alone at that age - they need to be trusted (to prove to themselves as well as you that they can handle growing up and having responsibilities) It's a natural step toward maturity.

If you are unsure of leaving her alone which I would be most rides offer parent switch - two parents and child wait in line, when you get to the front one parent rides while the other stays with child, when they get back the other can ride while the first waits. Make sure you check the ride listing if they offer this thought - rides where you enter and exit at different places don't offer this.

This is not how the child swap works and most likely you will be turned away. Child swap is for families with children too short to ride - not those who are afraid to ride. People just let your kids grow up and stop treating teens/pre-teens like preschoolers. Your setting yourselves up for some serious rebellion in a few years. Our jobs as parents are to teach our kids to live independently and care for themselves in this world. There will cone a day when you will have to cut them loose and let them grow up.

Here is my take on all this. Anything can happen to your children/my children ANYWHERE. How many kids are molested each day at HOME by someone you/they trust? Or at daycare centers.... or any other place where your child is out of your sight for a single second? How many children are beaten or verbally abused by someone the family trusts every day? You can just never be 100% sure.

Does that mean you need to keep them in eyesight at all times? I don't know.

For me and my kids ~ I prefer to let them spread their wings whenever possible. Will nothing bad NEVER happen to them? I can't guarantee that. I do the best I can to provide them with tools to deal with situations without scaring the bejeezus out of them. I'm hoping that giving them small independences (apparently this isn't a word ~ huh I use it often) now will allow them to handle things better in life when they are set free completely on their own.

Is it the right or wrong thing to do? Don't know can't say. I make the best decisions for my family that I can with the information I have at the time. I encourage you all to do the same. There are no perfect parents ~ unfortunately there certainly are some bad ones. Pretty much if you do what you BELIEVE is in the best interest of YOUR children... who cares what a bunch of anonymous people on a message board think?

THIS!!!! :thumbsup2::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter